PDA

View Full Version : [Pathfinder] Hidden ability checks and take 10

EvilPig
2013-10-03, 01:48 AM
Hello,

I would have some feedback from GMs about ability checks.

I usually let player roll on ability check with a immediate result (acrobacy, climb, swim, knowledge, etc.) and take hidden checks on perception, sense motive, and similar skills.

Now i am asking what about on stealth checks? Do you think i have to let player rolls on that checks knowing the result of roll? Or is just better i roll on them keeping result hidden to players?

Another info. I read around that a lot gms allow take 10 checks only pn really common tasks.
What do u think about take 10 on phisical checks? Like on acrobacy to do a long jump, swimming on turbolent water or climbing on a rope.

Thanks for any feedback you can give me

Crustypeanut
2013-10-03, 01:57 AM
Players can take 10 on any skill, provided that they aren't currently threatened or distracted - so, if they're randomly sneaking around and are currently not in combat, they can take 10 on stealth; Often, they can take 10 on perception while wandering around, though I'm preferable to forcing them to roll during ambushes.

Turbulent water is normally considered 'dangerous' I would presume, therefore, they should not be able to take 10 unless they have a swim speed. Climbing on a rope they can take 10 so long as they're not being shot at or whatnot.

They can take 10 on Sense motive, craft, you name it - as long as that golden rule of 'not being distracted or in danger' applies. The GM is the final arbiter of that bit.

TuggyNE
2013-10-03, 02:19 AM
Turbulent water is normally considered 'dangerous' I would presume, therefore, they should not be able to take 10 unless they have a swim speed.

Stormy water forbids taking 10 per the Swim skill, but ordinary rough water does not.

Keneth
2013-10-03, 02:50 AM
You can take 10 on pretty much anything, unless there's arrows whistling past your ears, or your dust mephit familiar won't stop annoying you while you're trying to climb a cliff face.

I also don't make any rolls in secret. I can see the benefits, but there's really no point in it. Mature players know how roleplay without metagaming.

Squirrel_Dude
2013-10-03, 03:02 AM
I wouldn't worry about stealth check results being known to the players. It's not like they would know the perception checks of the opposition (and it's not like a smart enemy would let the player's know that he saw them).

Honestly, the more annoying ones for me are the reactionary rolls like perception and sense motive, which set of alarms and red flags as soon as you ask players to roll them.

Gemini476
2013-10-03, 08:57 AM
I wouldn't worry about stealth check results being known to the players. It's not like they would know the perception checks of the opposition (and it's not like a smart enemy would let the player's know that he saw them).

Honestly, the more annoying ones for me are the reactionary rolls like perception and sense motive, which set of alarms and red flags as soon as you ask players to roll them.

"Hmm. Roll a perception check, please?"
"Alright. *Roll* I got a 23."
"You don't see anything."

Person_Man
2013-10-03, 09:05 AM
For traps or noticing things in general outside of combat, I use passive Perception (I assume everyone is taking 10 all of the time). If they're in combat, they only get a roll just before they trigger a trap. Thus their Perception basically becomes a Saving Throw - you make it and you notice and avoid the trap. You fail and you're hit by it. (I also add the Trapsense ability to this check, if you have it).

For social interactions, everyone rolls Sense Motive and Diplomacy (or Bluff, or Intimidate, depending on the general stance they want to take) at the start of the interaction. (I roll for the NPCs as well, secretly). Then we roleplay, and I color the NPCs reactions based on the rolls. Sense Motive doesn't work as an automatic lie detector and Diplomacy/Bluff/Intimidate doesn't work as an automatic Charm/Dominate. NPCs are just more or less likely to "show their hand" if they're trying to lie to you, and give you the benefit of the doubt if you are convincing.

Other then that, our games roll pretty much all other dice in the open, and I let players roll all the dice. (Including monster attacks, Saves, etc).

Psyren
2013-10-03, 09:24 AM
I call for random perception checks while they walk through the woods or whatever. That way they have no way of knowing which are the "real" ones.

You can also roll for them - you should know every player's modifiers at all times, really. The best way to do this is to occasionally turn to one guy and say something like "Rick the Ranger - you hear a noise behind the treeline and see a shadowy figure lurking behind the trunk of an oak."

The advantage to having the players roll though is that (a) they think the process is a bit more open that way and (b) it gives them something to do so they don't get bored with your magnificent vistas and lush empty fields.