PDA

View Full Version : Daylight?

Zorgoth
2013-10-03, 01:51 AM
How big does an object need to be before you can't make the whole thing shine with daylight? The spell isn't clear on that. Could you cast it on a wall of force?

Erik Vale
2013-10-03, 01:56 AM
The spell just says object touched, so a object is too big when it counts as multiple objects. Aside from that, I could see a reasonable argument for making the Earth glow unless you broke it into grains of dirt.

Edit: Of course, making the planet glow in such a manner might anger the Underdark residents, who have access to very painful death, so please don't make the planet glow.

Deca4531
2013-10-03, 08:29 AM
good question, i cant find anything that says the size is limited, probably a good post for the "dysfunctional rules" thread.

Gemini476
2013-10-03, 09:33 AM
good question, i cant find anything that says the size is limited, probably a good post for the "dysfunctional rules" thread.

The "official" FAQ line for Continuous Light says that if you were to cast it on a piece of chalk and then draw on a wall with it, the only part that shines is the grain of chalk that you cast the spell upon.

I would imagine that the same thing goes for Daylight, Darkness, and other similar spells.

killem2
2013-10-03, 09:55 AM
The "official" FAQ line for Continuous Light says that if you were to cast it on a piece of chalk and then draw on a wall with it, the only part that shines is the grain of chalk that you cast the spell upon.

I would imagine that the same thing goes for Daylight, Darkness, and other similar spells.

This is what I would use.

Psyren
2013-10-03, 10:00 AM
For your second question, I'd say a wall of force is an effect rather than an object.

Chronos
2013-10-03, 11:31 AM
The glow only extends in a 120' radius (half bright and half dim), so I don't think it matters if you consider the object to be the whole planet: The area of illumination is still just 120' radius.

killem2
2013-10-03, 11:38 AM
The glow only extends in a 120' radius (half bright and half dim), so I don't think it matters if you consider the object to be the whole planet: The area of illumination is still just 120' radius.

So, are you saying if you had a solid 150'ft sphere of jade, and you lit it up, you'd find part of it not lit up?

Psyren
2013-10-03, 11:54 AM
So, are you saying if you had a solid 150'ft sphere of jade, and you lit it up, you'd find part of it not lit up?

Well, you have to rule one way or the other. Either only the specific spot on the item that you touch emanates the light (in which case the answer to your question would be yes, a sufficiently large object would block part of the emanation) or the entire object radiates the light (in which case the answer is no, but you can also light up the planet by touching the ground.)

I personally prefer the former.

(Also, I agree, this is one for the dysfunction thread.)

Zorgoth
2013-10-03, 07:15 PM
For your second question, I'd say a wall of force is an effect rather than an object.

Are you certain? The description of disintegrate describes it as an "object constructed entirely of pure force." I can definitely see that it's not 100% certain either way. Functionally, I'm trying to see what I would do if I was hiding behind a wall of force and using a project image over the wall ato cast spells and someone cast Darkness.

Actually that gives rise to a couple questions:

1) If you cast a daylight spell from a wand, can it originate from your projected image?
2) I'm assuming that to dispel darkness using daylight, I would have to touch the object producing the darkness. Is that correct? If I could dispel it somehow, would I be able to dispel using a wand?
3) Any other ideas on how to cast Daylight effectively in that situation? I do have telekenesis but that would require an extra standard action to throw it over the wall. If only floating disk could be used as an elevator life would be more fun.
4) Does wall of force actually stop daylight and darkness because they are magical effects? That is my assumption, but on the other hand it is completely transparent.

killem2
2013-10-03, 08:44 PM
After looking it over, the daylight spell is pretty clear on the important pieces.

The object touched sheds light as bright as full daylight in a 60-foot radius.

Radius: From wiki, In classical geometry, the radius of a circle or sphere is the length of a line segment from its center to its perimeter.

With this, I'd have to go with the classic mathematical definitions as the assumption for WOTC spells.

Objects have the same size classes as creatures F to C. That object is considered the center for the uses of the spell, and the spell says the OBJECT sheds light, so that radius would surround it all.

I do not believe you could light the earth or a planet however, not one with plants around, or lots of pebbles and such. Too many variables to pin point.

If the planet was completely smooth and the plates were whole, I would rule you could.

For the case of a wall of force, I vote YES, since it uses the word object. So you would see a radius from it's point of origin in the designated range.

Zorgoth
2013-10-04, 07:39 AM
Actually it may also be a problem that Wall of Force is "unaffected by most spells," so I'm thinking it wouldn't work.

killem2
2013-10-04, 08:05 AM
Actually it may also be a problem that Wall of Force is "unaffected by most spells," so I'm thinking it wouldn't work.

son of a. :(