PDA

View Full Version : Rescuers of Barovia

flagisthief
2013-10-03, 01:54 AM
Several weeks ago you heard of a letter being sent from a small village called Barovia, the name sounded faniliar so you looked into it, travelling the short distance to Vale. The baroness of Vale, a human named Thea gave copies of the letter to several of her advisors, having them spread the word that Barovia was in need of help.

Your first nights of freedom are plagued with nightmares, your protector ans would be killer comes to you each night, asking why he had to die for you. He claws at your skin, trying to drag you to the afterlife. Eventually the nightmares become dreams about a town filled with fear and the undead. Weeks pass and a strange letter comes into your hands, mentioning the place in your dreams, Barovia. The town you are in is called Vale and asking around, you find out that the Baroness is recruiting people to visit Barovia and find out the meanings behind this letter.

Your flight from your mother led you west, through an incredible city called Vale. In Vale, you heard rumors of a land called Barovia, you had heard of it before, but what intrigued you was the part of how no-one had heard word from Barovia in several months and if this great city called Vale couldn't reach Barovia, maybe your mother couldn't either.

Several weeks ago you heard of a letter being sent from a small village called Barovia, the name sounded faniliar so you looked into it, travelling the short distance to Vale. The baroness of Vale, a human named Thea gave copies of the letter to several of her advisors, having them spread the word that Barovia was in need of help. You soon found yourself on a caravan for Barovia, hoping to make it in time.

Ever since your miraculous escape from Barovia, you haven't heard much of how the villagers have faired. A few weeks ago a letter crossed your path, needless to say, you immediately followed it back to Barovia, encountering a caravan heading in just that direction for similar reasons.

All-
You travel to Barovia with sixteen others, but only five including you seem prepared for what is yet to come. Your travel to Barovia is swift, lasting no more than a few days before you encounter the border, a large wall spanning several miles, protecting Barovia from the outside world, or is it the other way around? The gate stands partially open, no guard in sight to open it wider or close it on your arrival. The caravan stops just outside the gate and starts making camp, a halfling woman standing atop a large crate directs the flow of people proficiently, obviously having done this many times.

theos911
2013-10-08, 09:46 AM
Thoven exits the wagon with all the grace afforded to someone couped up in transit for days in plate armor. "Next time I'm riding Valan...," he grumbles to himself, while stretching as much as the metal around him allows.

Not many of these would survive a fight, he ponders to himself as he begins helping with whatever preparations are necessary.

Quilo
2013-10-08, 11:17 AM
Rä, sleep deprived and travel worn stumbles from the wagon doing her best to avoid falling right into a young man in armor. Her eye is caught by the fact that his armor glows like the moon in the night sky, making her wonder if it has any connection to her sword, and thus her past. Apprehension and curiosity war inside her exhausted mind as to whether he could help her, or be like everyone else and fear her, hurt her, leave her...

She decides to leave the, probably soon to be dead, man alone as her fears win her internal conflict. Going off to the edge of the gathering she avoids contact with others as if they were sick, or as if she were.

Space Lawyer
2013-10-08, 11:58 AM
Razoul

Razoul shrugs and huddles his broad shoulders against the whistling wind flowing off the Balinoks. It was never so cold in his homeland. Perhaps this why the locals were so dour, and their food so bland. A people who lived in this perpetual cold could only have frozen hearts and tongues as well.

Still, the letter had surely been a sign that he was to turn his sword to helping these people, instead of destroying the false god that had murdered his kin. Ra's light surely shown on a strange path. Razoul glances toward the horizon, looking for his god's fiery eye before it sets for the night, only to grimace when he sees it covered by dark clouds. It was an ill-omen for the sun to be obscured before its time.

He steps forward, and speaks in the tongue learned from outland traders. A booming baritone with bright notes comes forth. "Little one, why are we stopping here? Our journey is not yet complete. Would it not be more sensible to continue onwards, and perhaps find lodging for the night?"

Though Razoul had the supplies necessary for a night outdoors, his gear was more suited for the cool desert nights, and not the frozen darkness of these strange lands.

Blanket_Thunder
2013-10-08, 12:48 PM
Tarathiel steps from the wagon and pulls his cloak closed. The wind grips at him and chills his face in the light of the waning day. He looks around at the people and sighs. "I don't suppose any of you are proficient in the arcane arts? It would do me well to compare notes with a colleague."

Ionbound
2013-10-08, 06:08 PM
Elena gazes upon the gates and smiles sadly at the sight of her old homeland. She steadies her resolve and speaks to the Halfling in what she assumes to be their native language. "Might I ask what is the quickest way to the town outside Castle Barovia? I am a traveler, and have been lead to believe that this is the largest town in the area."

Bladehunter217
2013-10-10, 03:26 AM
The lead halfling, glares down at Razoul. "I am not going anywhere near that place, nor am I going to allow any of my people to follow you there. A few more people will be along in the next hour and they will help you with whatever it is you are doing. The baroness didn't tell us what we were getting into until we were almost here, so I'm staying put right here for time being."
One of the halflings smiles at Tarathiel and pulls out a flute. He is a little smaller than the rest, but stands with confidence. "That would be me mate, Thistle at your service." He glances past to Elena and points down the road. "Pretty hard to miss, all ya gots do is follow the road and the town'll appear in no time."

Blanket_Thunder
2013-10-10, 01:19 PM
Tarathiel smiles in appreciation. "If you are proficient in prestidigitation, I could show you my notes on a game we played back acadamy of the arcane. We duel illusory dragons for bets from the crowd." Tarathiel looks to those around him. "Are you a betting group of people?"

Space Lawyer
2013-10-10, 01:45 PM
Razoul

"Do as you wish, caravan master. Thank you for guiding us this far. However, I have no intention of delaying my journey while the sun still lingers in the sky."

Razoul brushes past the elf wizard. What sort of fool proposes public shows of arcane might? Every tale of this land speaks of the people's fears of such things. He approaches the pointing halfiling and Elena. "If this town is as close by as the halfling says, I would much prefer to sleep there tonight. I believe our journeys take us in the same direction, miss. Two travelers are certainly safer than one, as well. Shall we set forth for the town? I assure you, I have no ill-intent."

flagisthief
2013-10-10, 02:04 PM
"We usually pick our champion. He casts the spell and a small storm giant appears on the ground, greatsword in hand. Offering a shrug to Razoul, he has the giant thrust the sword in the air in challenge. I would suggest waiting myself, you never know what waits for you.

Quilo
2013-10-10, 03:16 PM
Rä, upon noticing the small display, finds herself distracted from her heavy thoughts. Entranced by the small illusion she slowly approaches, her hand held half up as if she meant to touch the figment, oblivious of the others around her. She becomes lost in the details of the small creature, standing in awe of the simple cantrip, her mind thoughtless.

Space Lawyer
2013-10-10, 03:22 PM
Razoul

"Indeed, I know not what awaits me, but I know what surrounds me now. I'd rather take chances with the road than with daft conjurers and gambling schoolboys with more power than sense" Razoul replies, looking pointedly at the summoned giant and the wizarding elf. "If this is how things start, I have little confidence that remaining here is in my best interest." With a thought, Razoul's armor appears on his body. "Besides, I have my faith and steel to protect me." He turns his back, walking towards the gate, slowly enough for whoever wishes to accompany him to catch up.

theos911
2013-10-11, 02:49 PM
Thoven steps to the nearest around him and chuckles "Now that's what I call a parlor trick."

Blanket_Thunder
2013-10-11, 09:59 PM
Tarathiel wiggles his fingers and a great illusory Yuan-Ti appears, scimitars grasped in both hands. "Steel yourself!" Then to Razoul, he offers only a curt bow.

theos911
2013-10-12, 07:41 AM
Thoven continues with the unloading process, but stops for several seconds to mutter something in celestial. Within moments a large gray mare appears, clad in battle armor and a deep blue cloak. He steps over and gives her an affectionate rub on the head and a sugar cube for no better reason than to show that she is indeed tangible.

He whispers something to her and her demeanor becomes noticeably relaxed, after which she meanders around giving a sniff here and a sniff there as Thoven resumes unloading.

Bladehunter217
2013-10-12, 08:28 AM
Its always good to know a few parlor tricks here and there. I am confident in my abilities. He offers a wink and the giant takes a fighting stance.

None of the halflings pay Razoul any mind, finishing setting camp as he reaches the gate. Just inside the gate, Razoul notes everything is a little darker and the clouds are a little darker than before. After a few moments, he hears a scream from the forest, it sounds close but it is difficult to hear what direction.
spellcraft check if you would.
listen from Razoul.
Most of the dms this week will be from me, Flag fell behind on a couple art projects.

Quilo
2013-10-12, 11:09 AM
Rä, noticing the other creature appear, grows wide eyed and giddy. One would find her an odd sight indeed, a pale, sickly looking woman (in armor no less) excited as easily as a child. Her glee, at the impending battle between the small figments, barely contained, as she fidgets impatiantly on the ground, awaiting the duel.