PDA

View Full Version : Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura

Dhavaer
2006-12-30, 06:31 AM
I got this game a few weeks ago, and so far it's awesome. I've completed it twice, both times with a mage, one necromancer and one force master. I'm trying it with a technologist, but finding it very tough going, possibly because I chose half-orc as my race and thus suffering a great deal of social stigma.

What has everyone else found effective? For me, mastering Haggle and Persuasion was very much worthwhile, Force made a good offense, although I missed Harm and eventually dabbled in Fire to get Fireflash. Five levels in Conveyance, Divination and White Necromancy seem to be almost a necessity for a mage.

Om
2006-12-30, 07:24 AM
It is indeed an excellent game, despite some glaring failures. The combat system in particular is terrible.

The game is far easier as a mage. With Harm you can stroll through most encounters. Personally though I prefer technology... even if you are being chased around by the weakest of foes at the crash site.

I forget, do half-orcs come with an intelligence bonus? If so that can be crippling if you want to amass and build from schematics. On the flip side you should be more than capable of bashing anything that comes your way. As a technologist you'll want to focus on the tech skills - pick lock and... err all the others. There is some restriction as to what weapons/firearms half-orcs can use but then it has been a while since I played.

Dhavaer
2006-12-30, 07:27 AM
Half-orcs are not smarter or dumber than everyone else, they get bonuses to Strength and Constitution and penalties to Beauty and Charisma. The only restriction to what half-orcs can use that I've found is in sizing, and everything is medium sized anyway.

Edit: What skill does the Tesla Rod use?

Om
2006-12-30, 07:44 AM
Edit: What skill does the Tesla Rod use?
While certainly of the electric school, I think the Tesla Rod is a staff/melee weapon. I've only ever used it to create the Tesla Gun.

Dhavaer
2006-12-30, 07:47 AM
I don't think it counts as melee, because its hit chance is far lower than another melee weapon. But thrown, bow and firearm don't seem likely.

Why the hate for the combat system? It has a bug in turn based, when it drags out a turn indefinately if an npc is in an odd position, but it otherwise works quite well for me.

Iituem
2006-12-30, 08:54 AM
The Telsa rod throws bolts of lightning at people, so by that logic it uses the Throwing skill.

Although the game does have its fair share of bugs (including, for example, never being able to get the 'God' endings) it can be remarkably fun to play as a technologist in a number of fields. Persuasion will get you the 'best' endings, because of the power of negotiation, as well as actually letting you skip several troublesome quests (meaning less risk but also less experience), as well as allowing you a whole plethora of allies.

The mechanics and smithy lines, though, particularly if you find the Automaton schematic, can mean you'll never need to worry about making friends again, provided you're willing to camp the inventors' stores for parts. Smithy is a brilliant line to take if you plan on being a meleer, though.

Randorn
2006-12-30, 09:20 AM
Arcanum is a great game, just as long as one doesn't focus on the combat too much and keeps the eyes on the storyline. I for my part found a charismatic and persuasive mage to be the easiest and most enjoyable way to play it (the very useful teleportation is something a technologist lacks, as far as I remember). As some of the developers worked on Fallout before, I expected to be able to get through the whole game without a single fight. I couldn't, but still, persuasion helps to reduce the amount of fighting significantly. Technology is slower, but if you like sinking time into a game, probably more rewarding. Playing a very dumb character can be fun too, though I never tried to actually finish the game with one.

Beleriphon
2006-12-30, 09:29 AM
The mechanics and smithy lines, though, particularly if you find the Automaton schematic, can mean you'll never need to worry about making friends again, provided you're willing to camp the inventors' stores for parts. Smithy is a brilliant line to take if you plan on being a meleer, though.

Smithy is wonderful, combined with Mechanics makes for a crazy technoaxe wielding dwarf in a suit of steam powered armour.

The only problem that I really found was the size of armour, which was okay for tech since most the good armour is based off of leather to start with, which means you can just buy a small suit of leather.

Om
2006-12-30, 10:18 AM
Why the hate for the combat system? It has a bug in turn based, when it drags out a turn indefinately if an npc is in an odd position, but it otherwise works quite well for me.
To my mind the combat system is a muddled mess. It can't decide if its turnbased or real time. Compared to the simple beauty of the Fallout or Bioware systems I find it irritating to use. Until I figured out how to initiate combat it was a nightmare of melee foes getting close before I could pull the trigger.

Smithy is wonderful, combined with Mechanics makes for a crazy technoaxe wielding dwarf in a suit of steam powered armour.
Pffft who needs axes and armour when you have an elephant gun! :smallsmile:

Tom_Violence
2006-12-30, 10:42 AM
I think my favourite character was a charismatic elven mage with points pumped into Backstab. Before long, and using a Dagger of Speed, there was next to nothing that could last a round with me, and anything that could went down to some choice spells. This only worked if you played turn-based though, as you could instantly dash behind someone and then stab them - something that was impossible in real time.

The combat wasn't dreadful once you got used to it, but it certainly wasn't inspired. And the other thing that bugged me was that the NPCs only ever get up to level 4 of their tech disciplines, meaning that if you want the good stuff you have do all the work yourself.

I personally enjoyed taking the level cap off and building every single damn thing in the game as a technologist. Guns and Automatons akimbo!

Gyrfalcon
2006-12-30, 03:28 PM
I never could really get into the game... probably because of some of the insane level bumps if you follow the storyline rather then wandering everywhere, where you run into level 18+ (Or was it 28? I know I had a hell of a time beating one, then a couple more came around the corner...) enemies at level 10 if you've been a good like RPG peon and followed the main quest back and forth.

Emperor Tippy
2006-12-30, 03:39 PM
It's an excellent game. Playing as a mage is by far the easiest but I want to be able to get those spells that people can't learn anymore.

Om
2006-12-30, 04:28 PM
I never could really get into the game... probably because of some of the insane level bumps if you follow the storyline rather then wandering everywhere
That's probably my greatest complaint with the game - the XP system. It actually rewards wandering around in the countryside hitting things and punishes actual RP. Which is completely at odds with the rest of the game.

DeathQuaker
2006-12-30, 04:52 PM
There's some really brilliant stuff about Arcanum and some really frustrating things.

What I liked about it was the writers did an excellent job of scripting in different reactions of NPCs based on your race, gender, alignment, etc. and did an excellent job of tailoring your responses according to your int and charisma, etc. The setting was well designed--I really liked the idea of a Victorian fantasy.

What I didn't like, beyond the combat and interface that others have mentioned include a number of things, including waaaaay too many pointless sidequests (especially fed ex quests which require an inordinate amount of time wandering around for what turns out to be a useless reward). Challenges weren't scaled well.. I felt for awhile when I hit midlevels, either fights were too easy (and thus not netting me much XP) or way too difficult.

There's also a few events and circumstances that seem to go toward the unpleasantly misogynistic. There's a rant of mine buried in her somewhere from the old boards about that (though I don't know if you'll find it, as I deleted my old account). Yes, yes, RPGs were made for boys, blah blah blah--don't tell me that. :smallsigh: I'm the girl who ogles Torment's Annah in her skimpy jerkin after all--but I also look up to her as a strong female lead. But no, in Arcanum there were a few events I found quite unpleasant to play as a woman, playing a female PC.

Frex, there is a "Gentleman's Club," where lies the resolution of a number of quests, the start of others, and a possible party member. Male PCs can just walk into this club no problem; women can't (and there's nothing in the game that's hard for a male PC to enter). In order to get into the club, you have to go to the owner, who will do it if your female PC sleeps with him. If you refuse him repeatedly or irritate him, he and his guard attack you, and then your alignment swings Evil if you kill him in self defense. :smallmad: The "good" option is apparently to let old lech use you. Yuck. Whatever. Those events are few and far between, but still left a bad taste in my mouth (it would have been different if there were things made harder for male PCs in certain areas--say, he had to sneak into a Suffragette meeting or something--and moreover if the alignment shift hadn't been included). It's bad when I remember that event clearly but can't remember the names of any of my party members.

Also, there's a bug at the very end of the game that kept me from finishing it properly. Before I got to reload and try again (it involves releasing everyone from your party at the right time), my old computer crashed, so I never got to finish it. :smallfrown:

Dhavaer
2006-12-30, 06:10 PM
I didn't have a problem getting into the Gentlemen's Club. I just made one threat, he backed down, all good. Of course, it's actually an entirely pointless location, so it's wasted effort all around.

The main balance issues I've found are that Ore Golems are devastating against anyone but a mage and that once you complete the Ancient Gods quest, you're pretty much invincible. Of course, anything that gives Velroian's Blessing of Ultimate Power! should be that good.

Tom_Violence
2006-12-31, 12:17 AM
Heh, I remember the whole sexism in Arcanum rant. :wink: Good times. I said then and I'll say it again now that that was one of the things I liked most about the game (that people would treat you different in fairly complex ways, not that it was sexist), but it is a shame that they kinda took it a touch too far.

I remember the Ore Golems problem as well. They were the ones that you actually broke your gear on when fighting them, right? Ever so slightly annoying, that was.

Dhavaer
2006-12-31, 02:54 AM
Those were the ones. There were a couple of monsters like that, but ore golems were possibly the worst because they had such high damage resistance.
The looking-glass rifle, though, is quite, quite, awesome. Great fun in the Ashbury cemetary.

Nerd-o-rama
2006-12-31, 10:23 PM
Ah, I already said everything I wanted to in the last two Arcanum threads.

Except this: Ore Golems suck! Molotov spam ftw.

Zeal
2007-01-01, 04:00 AM
I've been looking for this game for nigh on ages!

Om
2007-01-01, 09:47 AM
Those were the ones. There were a couple of monsters like that, but ore golems were possibly the worst because they had such high damage resistance.
I found them almost impossible to kill unless I exploited the combat system. I'd have one character out in front and when the ore golem went to attack I'd make the character run the hell away. All my other party members would attack the golem as he chased the running figure.

Dog was easily the best NPC for taking the golems down.

Beleriphon
2007-01-01, 10:25 AM
I found them almost impossible to kill unless I exploited the combat system. I'd have one character out in front and when the ore golem went to attack I'd make the character run the hell away. All my other party members would attack the golem as he chased the running figure.

Dog was easily the best NPC for taking the golems down.

Clearly you've never experience the full power of a Tesla Gun and a disgustingly high Guns skill at Master level. It makes ore golems explode!

Tom_Violence
2007-01-01, 10:32 AM
Dog was unfortunately the best at killing just about everything.

Om
2007-01-01, 10:49 AM
Dog was unfortunately the best at killing just about everything.
That's true... unfortunately. The game got too easy once you picked him up. On the other hand you had no choice if, like myself, you'd stuck to the story in lieu of wandering around the wilderness hitting things.

Dhavaer
2007-01-01, 05:58 PM
Spamming Lightning Bolt in the turn-based mode worked quite well. Disintegrate was the best, though.

Emperor Tippy
2007-01-01, 10:20 PM
Disintegrate is the best way to deal with Ore Golems. Tesla Gun is second.

Now this is going to sound stupid but how do you use Plastique, and Automatons. I have a whole crate full of Plastique (Dynamite+Electrolytes) and I can't figure out how to use the stuff. I also have 4 Automatons that I can't get to do anything. How do you use them?

Dhavaer
2007-01-01, 10:22 PM
I think you have to put them into the toolbar and use them from there. Automatons function as characters, I think. No idea about Plastique.

I have the Tesla Gun and Mechanised Gun now. Damn they are awesome.

Emperor Tippy
2007-01-01, 10:48 PM
I found out about plastique. It requires the Detonator Schematic as well. And I've tried the hot keys for mechanized arachnids, automatons, and medical arachnids and it doesn't do anything.

Gralamin
2007-01-01, 10:50 PM
Disintegrate is the best way to deal with Ore Golems. Tesla Gun is second.

Now this is going to sound stupid but how do you use Plastique, and Automatons. I have a whole crate full of Plastique (Dynamite+Electrolytes) and I can't figure out how to use the stuff. I also have 4 Automatons that I can't get to do anything. How do you use them?

I believe there is an item called a Detonator or something, you have to craft it in order to blow up plastique.

For automations (Also Automation gunners, mechanized spiders and all the variants) you have to bring them to your quickbar, and then use them on some random spot of ground.

mikeejimbo
2007-01-01, 10:59 PM
Oh man, I loved Arcanum. Never finished it, but a friend of mine lent it to me. Very good call, I love Victoriana.

Shikton
2007-01-02, 08:40 AM
Gotta agree, Arcanum is a great game, but I also found the battles very very tedious. The storyline, programming and everything else was very nice though. Also the lack of a good multiplayer feature kinda bums me, as I love playing online. Luckily I have both the BG and IWD series to handle that aspect of my gaming urges. ^^

Best Arcanum spell: TELEPORT!

Dhavaer
2007-01-02, 04:37 PM
No, the best spell is Resurrect. I once one a battle by my character and Virgil doing tag-team resurrections; I'd go nova, then die, he'd resurrect me and I'd come back with full fatigue. Then he'd die, I'd resurrect him, rinse and repeat.

Tom_Violence
2007-01-02, 08:38 PM
No, the best spell is Resurrect. I once one a battle by my character and Virgil doing tag-team resurrections; I'd go nova, then die, he'd resurrect me and I'd come back with full fatigue. Then he'd die, I'd resurrect him, rinse and repeat.

How odd. I never once had to rely on the Resurrect spell, I don't think. Either an area was too much so I wouldn't do it til later, or I tended to coast through alright.

Dhavaer
2007-01-02, 10:49 PM
I needed it mostly for keeping Arronax alive. Why the hell won't he wear armour?

Emperor Tippy
2007-01-03, 08:35 AM
Gar is a pain in the same way. He will only wear the Bronze Plate and some Hexed armors.

And Teleport is the best spell. Cutting down on travel time is most assuredly neccessary. Not to mention that it allows you to complete 2 master quests much earlier than normal. (Spot Traps and Throwing)

Tom_Violence
2007-01-03, 07:35 PM
One of the things that was evidently quite poorly thought out in Arcanum was the travel system. Specifically, the random encounters you faced. I remember that towards the start of the game I had to save after every few inches of map travel, because most random encounters would eat me alive. Towards the end it was just tedious. At least Fallout had a car. :tongue:

Dhavaer
2007-01-03, 08:30 PM
I just met the Vorpal Bunny for the first time. It's full of references, that game.

potatocubed
2007-01-04, 05:41 PM
Arcanum is a good game. It has its flaws, but the setting is excellently done.

I tried it as a technologist and couldn't get through the... Blackrock Mines? Blackstone Mines? I can't remember what they were called, but the golem thingies kept pulverising me.

Then I played as a mage with Harm, and suddenly none of that stuff bothered me any more. :smallsmile: The main drawback was that I kept finding schematics for devices of doom, but magical Trevor couldn't use them for anything.

My brother's played the game through using an idiot savant background, and he says it's much more difficult when you can't speak properly. You end up missing out on half the quests because people just won't talk to you. (The same thing happens in Fallout 2, but is much much funnier.)

Dhavaer
2007-01-04, 08:05 PM
Blackrock Mines? Blackstone Mines? I can't remember what they were called, but the golem thingies kept pulverising me.

Black Mountain Mines. And yes, it is ridiculously difficult to kill the golems. I did it with the Looking Glass Rifle, I think.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-01-04, 08:37 PM
I did it with an inventory-screen's worth of Molotov cocktails. Man, that dungeon sucks if you're not overleveled. Or a mage.

Dhavaer
2007-01-04, 09:55 PM
If you stand a fire at maximum range with the Looking Glass Rifle, you can generally get them and only be hit once or twice.

DeathQuaker
2007-01-04, 10:18 PM
The main drawback was that I kept finding schematics for devices of doom, but magical Trevor couldn't use them for anything.

But... but everyone loves Magical Trevor....

Sorry. Couldn't resist. :smalltongue:

Yeah, when I played a magic user, I got frustrating by finding all these neat schematics that I couldn't do jack with. I enjoyed being a mage though. I can't remember for the life of me how I beat the golems though. Very carefully, I think.... or just bludgeoning on them with the dwarf...

Nerd-o-rama
2007-01-04, 10:54 PM
If you stand a fire at maximum range with the Looking Glass Rifle, you can generally get them and only be hit once or twice.
Well, my problem was I didn't grind for max Firearms skill or the necessary Gunsmithy levels to get an LGR. To my knowledge, the only LGR's in the game are ones you craft or an alternate reward for the Firearms Master quest.

I did love that gun so when I got it. It was like friggin' Quigley Down Under. Endgame, though, you've gotta love Droch's Warbringer.

Dhavaer
2007-01-04, 10:59 PM
I think I only had one or two points in firearms, but I buffed my Perception with those mechanical lenses.
Currently I've been using the Blade Launcher and the Tesla Gun. Yay for an average 45 damage. The only problem is the titanic ammo requirement.

Beleriphon
2007-01-04, 11:15 PM
Oh man, I found some of the hardcore powerful guns in the end game. One of the schematics in Vendrigoth combines the range of the Looking Glass Rifle and the power of what amounts to the Fallout plasma rifle. Titantic battery usage, but it will wipe the floor with anything.

Dhavaer
2007-01-04, 11:18 PM
I remember Bronwyck's Gun, from the Isle of Despair. As far as I could make out it was a steampunk plasma pistol. Great fun.

Beleriphon
2007-01-04, 11:21 PM
I remember Bronwyck's Gun, from the Isle of Despair. As far as I could make out it was a steampunk plasma pistol. Great fun.

That was the one that you combine with other stuff from Vendrigoth that ends up being a plasma rifle. Gross power. So much fun.

Dhavaer
2007-01-04, 11:33 PM
Damn. Now I wish I hadn't sold it.

Om
2007-01-05, 07:35 AM
Oh man, I found some of the hardcore powerful guns in the end game. One of the schematics in Vendrigoth combines the range of the Looking Glass Rifle and the power of what amounts to the Fallout plasma rifle. Titantic battery usage, but it will wipe the floor with anything.
There was a gorgeous pistol schematic in the same ruins that perfectly suited my gunslinger. Can't remember the exact name though.

Emperor Tippy
2007-01-05, 12:35 PM
The easiest way to kill the Ore golems as a technologist is to get the schematic for Plastique and for the Detonator. In turn based combat mode you run up to the golem and drop a Plastique or 2 at his feet then run a good distance away and use the detonator. Nothing survives that combination.

Maxed firearms and the Tesla gun will drop them in a shot or 2 as well.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-01-05, 03:52 PM
There was a gorgeous pistol schematic in the same ruins that perfectly suited my gunslinger. Can't remember the exact name though.
Droch's Warbringer! Man, I love that gun.

And where are all you people getting this high-end technology before the Black Mountain Mines? I made it through (barely) without grinding huge levels to build the best stuff first. Which would have frankly made the rest of the game too easy.

Dhavaer
2007-01-09, 04:24 AM
Droch's Warbringer! Man, I love that gun.

And where are all you people getting this high-end technology before the Black Mountain Mines? I made it through (barely) without grinding huge levels to build the best stuff first. Which would have frankly made the rest of the game too easy.

Buying it, mostly. The Looking-Glass Rifle schematic isn't hard to get, and the components are fairly cheap.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-01-09, 10:52 AM
I guess. Now that I think about it, the schematic is only around level 5 or so. If I pick it up again, I'll spec for Int and Disciplines for the first couple dozen levels. I tend to get sidetracked into Charisma/Persuasion when leveling up in Tarrant.

Dhavaer
2007-01-09, 06:17 PM
That's the problem with Tech, you need to focus on just Intelligence and schematics, with a few points in Perception, Firearms and Strength. There's no room for social skills.

MagFlare
2007-01-12, 08:19 AM
I've never seen a PCRPG with as versatile a magic system as Arcanum has. The most fun you can have in Arcanum, I think, is using the trainer to give yourself every single damned spell in the game, then wreaking arcane havoc in populated areas. Try charming a wild animal, dragging it into a shop, then letting it loose after magelocking the doors and windows shut. Or burn guards' clothes off with walls of fire. Or lure the townsfolk into battling each other, then resurrect the losers to continue fighting for your amusement.

If power corrupts...

Dhavaer
2007-01-12, 04:59 PM
I'm starting to really like playing a warrior type, because after you've mastered Melee and Dodge, and maxed Strength and Dex, you can do as you like. Which is why I have a half-orc with the Suppressed Orcish Heritage background and 20 Beauty. Having everyone in Tarant with an attitude of 'love' is great.

I did the same thing in my previous game, as an elf with maxed Persuasion. I managed to get Virgil's, Sogg's, Raven's and Z'an Alu'rin's attitudes over 200. It was so disappointing to find that there's no attitude beyond love. It was very difficult to find that dress with +20 reaction, though. The shops rarely have them.

Dareon
2007-01-15, 03:24 PM
Regarding the mech. arachnids/Automaton, they're actually thrown items, oddly enough. Although throwing them at an enemy is something I haven't tried yet, as I don't have any points in Throwing. I imagine they do decent damage, though, since they're so heavy.

Next game through, I'm going to go for a half-ogre thrower and carry around a couple of those stones from the fields in Ashbury. My 2 Int half-ogre melee/dodge/haggle (Yes, Haggle. You going to refuse a man named Porg Gnomethrottler a few extra coins?) was fun for a while, but then I got to needing to find Mr. Terwilliger and couldn't talk to the records lady or the librarian, nor did I want to take an evil turn by just smacking them around. :smallmad:

There is a female-preferenced sexist part of the game, actually. On the Isle of Despair, a woman wants your help in escaping the camp and going to this all-woman camp a little ways away. If you're a man there, you need to wear a white scarf or they'll attack on sight. Not as big as women losing access to the Gentleman's Club, but it's there.

For those wanting a Looking-Glass Rifle early, or even just an extra one, I know the one the Master Firearms trainer would have given you if you turn down Master training remains on him if you demand the training. I made him train me, then stole the rifle from him. It might be possible to steal it from him even when you first get to Tarant. Take the train, run down, rescue Dog, run over, fate point, steal rifle. You're gold through the rest of the game. What's he going to do with it, anyway, he's part of a psycho religion. :smalltongue:

Personally, I love the explanations the manual has for the world's physics and races. The little touches like Orcs often having triplets and the father eating the third baby to celebrate his virility, while vaguely disturbing, adds a layer of verisimilitude that makes you feel like you're actually experiencing a world instead of a thin framework divided into things worth XP and things to be talked to. Although I still think their reasons for "Uh... we didn't get any female sprites into the game for any of the interesting races." fall really flat. "...They're all at home. Making babies. No, you can't see them. I don't care if you are in their actual home. You can't see them."

Dhavaer
2007-01-15, 04:58 PM
Mine didn't come with a manual. :smallfrown:

The lack of female gnomes or halflings annoyed me, though. There are female gnomes and halflings wandering around the towns, after all, so why can't you play one? I get the lack of female dwarves, though.

MagFlare
2007-01-15, 06:40 PM
There are female gnomes and halflings wandering around the towns, after all, so why can't you play one?

Because Troika didn't have the time to add in all the possible animations for female gnomes/halflings. Sure, they managed to get some in, but not all the different clothing possibilities made it.

Like Dareon said, the in-game rationale for excluding them was pretty flimsy.

Dhavaer
2007-01-15, 09:16 PM
What was the rationale? I can guess for dwarves, but what about gnomes, halflings and half-ogres?

Nerd-o-rama
2007-01-16, 02:32 AM
I remember Half-Ogres were all genetically engineered freaks, but only because there was a quest for that.

Om
2007-01-16, 12:44 PM
Because Troika didn't have the time to add in all the possible animations for female gnomes/halflings. Sure, they managed to get some in, but not all the different clothing possibilities made it.I cringe every time I hear about a post-Black Isle studio falling flat on the execution.

I remember Half-Ogres were all genetically engineered freaks, but only because there was a quest for that.
That quest made the game for me. The explanation at the end was just... wow. And then that was it, you couldn't do anything about it or change things. It really brought home the fact that you were a tiny speck in this huge world.

Dhavaer
2007-01-16, 04:24 PM
That quest made the game for me. The explanation at the end was just... wow. And then that was it, you couldn't do anything about it or change things. It really brought home the fact that you were a tiny speck in this huge world.

I considered running around and murdering all the gnomes. I certainly did for the one at the end of the quest.

Dareon
2007-01-17, 12:28 AM
For the most part, the in-game explanation for the lack of females was almost exactly as I said. "They're all at home, making babies." It cited a long gestation period (over ten years!) in the case of dwarves, no particular reason is given for gnomes, halfling women just don't like to travel, and half-ogres are assumed to be kept captive by their brutish whelping tribes for breeding use.

Dhavaer
2007-01-17, 01:19 AM
Ah.

I just finished again as an evil character, and damn it's easy once you have Torian-Kel's Ancestral Sword. I cut down five Berserkers in a single round with that thing as a mage, it's insane. It's cool how it mentions the weapon the Bane of Kree uses if you give him that falchion at the end.