PDA

View Full Version : Sources of reach

Immabozo
2013-10-03, 03:10 AM
So I was pondering this recently. How far can you reach on a medium creature? Aberrant reach, willing deformity (tall) and Warshaper level 3 all give +5' reach a piece, mountain rage will also get you to large, then willing deformity (tall) will get the reach of huge, plus spiked chain doubles reach. so that is 25 foot reach, doubled to 50' reach.

Dvati race + War Hulk 10 allows you to hit all squares you threaten, giving effectively (slightly better IMO) 100' reach.

So, playground, what have I missed? Can you do better?

Andezzar
2013-10-03, 03:37 AM
So I was pondering this recently. How far can you reach on a medium creature? Aberrant reach, willing deformity (tall) and Warshaper level 3 all give +5' reach a piece, mountain rage will also get you to large, then willing deformity (tall) will get the reach of huge, plus spiked chain doubles reach. so that is 25 foot reach, doubled to 50' reach.I'm not sure it works that way. Inhuman Reach explicitly says the +5ft are natural reach. Deformity(Tall) and Warshaper 3 do not. So with a spiked chain the reach would be (5ftnatural + 5ft Inhuman Reach)*2 + 5ftDeformity(Tall) + 5ftWarshper 3 = 30ft

Dvati race + War Hulk 10 allows you to hit all squares you threaten, giving effectively (slightly better IMO) 100' reach.What feature of either the War Hulk or the Dvati increases the twin' reach?

Emperor Tippy
2013-10-03, 04:27 AM
IIRC max reach is around a thousand feet with the most permissive interpretation and 300 or so without. ECL 20 of course.

Gemini476
2013-10-03, 09:04 AM
IIRC max reach is around a thousand feet with the most permissive interpretation and 300 or so without. ECL 20 of course.

Is that as a Drunken Master with a long rope?
I think I remember that reading being somewhat contested, however.

Immabozo
2013-10-03, 10:33 AM
I'm not sure it works that way. Inhuman Reach explicitly says the +5ft are natural reach. Deformity(Tall) and Warshaper 3 do not. So with a spiked chain the reach would be (5ftnatural + 5ft Inhuman Reach)*2 + 5ftDeformity(Tall) + 5ftWarshper 3 = 30ft

What feature of either the War Hulk or the Dvati increases the twin' reach?

I'm not sure what difference the source of reach makes in the reach of the spiked chain, but perhaps I should read it again. What book is it from, again?

And the Dvati twin can only take one set of actions. However war hulk 10 allows you to attack "All squares you threaten" allowing effectively attack 100'

How do you get there?

Andezzar
2013-10-03, 10:57 AM
I'm not sure what difference the source of reach makes in the reach of the spiked chain, but perhaps I should read it again. What book is it from, again?Reach weapons and the spiked chain are in the PHB and the SRD.
Glaives, guisarmes, lances, longspears, ranseurs, spiked chains, and whips are reach weapons. A reach weapon is a melee weapon that allows its wielder to strike at targets that aren’t adjacent to him or her. Most reach weapons double the wielder’s natural reach, meaning that a typical Small or Medium wielder of such a weapon can attack a creature 10 feet away, but not a creature in an adjacent square.

A spiked chain has reach, so you can strike opponents 10 feet away with it. In addition, unlike most other weapons with reach, it can be used against an adjacent foe.
So the spiked chain does not change the fact that its reach is double the wielder's natural reach.

You gain an additional 5 feet of reach. For most Small and Medium creatures, this benefit increases natural reach to 10 feet.

Even though you are still technically a medium creature, your improved height and lanky limbs grant you an additional 5 feet to your reach, thereby allowing you to strike nonadjacent squares with nonreach weapons.

Morphic Reach (Su): A warshaper of 3rd level or higher can suddenly stretch its limbs, neck, or other appendages outward, giving it 5 more feet of reach than the creature it’s emulating.This ability even is explicitly not unnatural. It's supernatural.

And the Dvati twin can only take one set of actions. However war hulk 10 allows you to attack "All squares you threaten" allowing effectively attack 100'Does the "you" really apply to both bodies? If so the one twin that is miles away could also attack any creature that is threatend by the other twin. :smallconfused:
BTW you would still have to get the dvati to be at least large to even qualify for War Hulk

Immabozo
2013-10-03, 03:20 PM
So the spiked chain does not change the fact that its reach is double the wielder's natural reach.

This ability even is explicitly not unnatural. It's supernatural.

it is it natural? No. But it is "natural reach" as in it is not granted by items, it is a source of reach extending from the capabilities of the body.

Does the "you" really apply to both bodies? If so the one twin that is miles away could also attack any creature that is threatend by the other twin. :smallconfused:
BTW you would still have to get the dvati to be at least large to even qualify for War Hulk

Details, details! Seriously, you're killin me smalls!

And no, a Dvati hundreds of miles away does not threaten squares next to it's twin.