PDA

View Full Version : Disintegrate and Awaken Sand

unseenmage
2013-10-03, 08:50 AM
How many castings of Disintegrate (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/disintegrate.htm) would the Playground reckon it takes before there's enough dust to successfully cast Awaken Sand (Sa) on?

I want to know for a Trap-room I'm thinking of designing. Both as a player and as a DM. One assumes there's a correlation between the size of the creature(s) Disintegrate-ed and the size of the creature Awaken Sand creates (huge), I'm just unsure what that would be.

As an added note, I can find very few pictures of magical disintegration on the internets. :smallfrown:

Yuki Akuma
2013-10-03, 09:02 AM
As Disintegrate only says it leaves "a trace of fine dust", there's no way to really work this out.

If we take "trace" to mean "it's there, but not enough to really measure", then... a lot?

I think maybe some sort of "Flesh to Sand" spell would be better.

KillianHawkeye
2013-10-03, 09:55 AM
When did dust become the same thing as sand? :smallconfused:

unseenmage
2013-10-03, 09:56 AM
When did dust become the same thing as sand? :smallconfused:

When the spell said 'or similar material'.

Egopunk
2013-10-03, 10:05 AM
Lets assume the spell removes all water from the body, then crumbles the remaining now brittle solids to dust. That's about 60% of the mass gone, leaving us with about 40%.

So to create enough dust to create a Huge awakened sand, you would need approximately 3 Huge creatures disintegrated (for about 120% of required mass).

KillianHawkeye
2013-10-03, 10:06 AM
When the spell said 'or similar material'.

When did dust become in any way similar to sand? :smallconfused:

Egopunk
2013-10-03, 10:10 AM
Dust is discarded particulate matter often referring to minute pieces of discarded skin, hair and peices abraded from objects. Sand consists of a very similar consistancy but created from calciforous discards from (usually) sea life.

Yuki Akuma
2013-10-03, 10:11 AM
When did dust become in any way similar to sand? :smallconfused:

Both are materials composed of multiple tiny particles of stuff.

"Dust" can actually contain sand. Dust is not in any way a specific term for anything.

Dust is discarded particulate matter often referring to minute pieces of discarded skin, hair and peices abraded from objects.

That's what the dust in your home or office is made from, sure. The dust you find outside usually also contains tiny bits of stone that have been worn away due to water and air erosion - sand.

Egopunk
2013-10-03, 10:14 AM
Indeed. I would rule them to be similar enough, possibly even without the "or similar material" clause.

unseenmage
2013-10-03, 10:17 AM
Dust is discarded particulate matter often referring to minute pieces of discarded skin, hair and peices abraded from objects. Sand consists of a very similar consistancy but created from calciforous discards from (usually) sea life.

Yeah no. That's science. And the D&D game doesn't work with science.
I mean you can houserule science to work in your own games, that's perfectly fine with me. Just don't try to justify your positions involving a fictitious rule system with science from the real world. It just doesn't work.

I mean Pi in D&D-verse = 4. That's just not right. Like, squeamously so. Makes the logic bits of my brain ache just thinking about all those empty triangles in between ovoid "spheres". Just ow.

Egopunk
2013-10-03, 10:30 AM
My position needed no justification as it was the same as yours. Also, approximating something as you requested above requires science. Specifically biology and maths.

So I suggest before you go shouting about how there is no place for science in D&D, you remember that your question involved a void in the rules that can be filled only with logic and science.

unseenmage
2013-10-03, 10:47 AM
My position needed no justification as it was the same as yours. Also, approximating something as you requested above requires science. Specifically biology and maths.

So I suggest before you go shouting about how there is no place for science in D&D, you remember that your question involved a void in the rules that can be filled only with logic and science.

Dude, it's a joke. Not an attack. For the same reasons that you just stated.

My apologies if I missed the hilarity-o-meter mark. Please forgive my clumsiness.

Egopunk
2013-10-03, 10:51 AM
Sorry, I find things don't translate into humor well online. When you don't know people they really could just be being that dense instead of joking. Its so damn hard.

Sorry for any offense :)

unseenmage
2013-10-03, 11:00 AM
Sorry, I find things don't translate into humor well online. When you don't know people they really could just be being that dense instead of joking. Its so damn hard.

Sorry for any offense :)

Agreed. I should have used blue text to emphasize but was distracted. My bad.

unseenmage
2013-10-03, 11:26 AM
Isn't there some text somewhere that says items without listed weight count as 1/10 of a pound for carrying capacity.

If that's the case it would take 10 Disintegrated dudes to make 1 lb of dust.