PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Flash Step Feat

yaluckyboy09
2013-10-03, 11:33 AM
Flash Step
(Homebrew Feat)

By pushing his body, a character with Flash Step can disappear and reappear elsewhere in the blink of an eye

Prerequisites:
DEX 15 or STR 15
Jump 9

Benefit:
When taking this Feat, you must choose weather you will use Dexterity or Strength as your main ability for this Feat

A number of times per day equal to 2+CON Mod, you can take a Swift Action to make a Jump Check (DC 20) to jump forwards a distance equal to 20ft times your ability Modifier (Dexterity or Strength, chosen when you take this Feat)

This ability can only be used to travel somewhere in your line of sight, anything that would impair movement or vision will also impair this ability

Failing the Jump Check will still use up your use of this ability

For Example, a Level 7 Fighter with 16 Strength and 15 Constitution who takes this Feat can use this ability 4 times per day to jump 60ft in any direction as long as he succeeds his Jump Check
Or a Level 9 Rogue with 19 Dexterity and 16 Constitution can use this ability 5 times per day to jump 80ft in any direction

What do you guys think?

Amnoriath
2013-10-03, 11:58 AM
Flash Step
(Homebrew Feat)

By pushing his body, a character with Flash Step can disappear and reappear elsewhere in the blink of an eye

Prerequisites:
DEX 15 or STR 15
Jump 9

Benefit:
When taking this Feat, you must choose weather you will use Dexterity or Strength as your main ability for this Feat

A number of times per day equal to 2+CON Mod, you can take a Swift Action to make a Jump Check (DC 20) to jump forwards a distance equal to 20ft times your ability Modifier (Dexterity or Strength, chosen when you take this Feat)

This ability can only be used to travel somewhere in your line of sight, anything that would impair movement or vision will also impair this ability

Failing the Jump Check will still use up your use of this ability

For Example, a Level 7 Fighter with 16 Strength and 15 Constitution who takes this Feat can use this ability 4 times per day to jump 60ft in any direction as long as he succeeds his Jump Check
Or a Level 9 Rogue with 19 Dexterity and 16 Constitution can use this ability 5 times per day to jump 80ft in any direction

What do you guys think?

A 1st level tiger claw boost already does this(Sudden Leap), pretty much. The only difference is you have a low static DC with a predetermined amount of distance which can get too much too fast.

ddude987
2013-10-03, 01:50 PM
Seems like a cool idea, but the numbers need some fixing I think. Entry at level 6 with 9 ranks in jump. A str based character can have 22 str easy at this level so that is +6 to jump. This means they need to roll a 5 or better to use this ability. A dex based character will have significantly less str, probably 10 or 12. 9+1=10 so they have half as likely a chance to succeed on their jump. I think you should let the person use dex for the jump check to use this ability if they chose dex.

yaluckyboy09
2013-10-03, 06:46 PM
Seems like a cool idea, but the numbers need some fixing I think. Entry at level 6 with 9 ranks in jump. A str based character can have 22 str easy at this level so that is +6 to jump. This means they need to roll a 5 or better to use this ability. A dex based character will have significantly less str, probably 10 or 12. 9+1=10 so they have half as likely a chance to succeed on their jump. I think you should let the person use dex for the jump check to use this ability if they chose dex.

you raise a fair point, I was also actually thinking of raising the DC to 25 instead of 20

though Strength users are most likely going to be weighted down by armor with Armor Check Penalties so I think it mostly balances out