PDA

View Full Version : Help settling on a runestaff.

Syrinth
2013-10-03, 01:31 PM
So I just got the MIC earlier this week, and the sheer item overload has been driving me mad. Worst of all, however, is the runestaff.

I've spent the past several days trying to settle on something but I just can't quite make up my mind.

My character is a Rogue 1/Focused Diviner 4/Unseen Seer 4 with banned Evocation and Necromancy. I have the capability of doing a chunk of damage via Hunter's Eye/Extended Hunter's Eye but since my group primarily does enough damage I normally relegate myself to Battlefield Control.

Spells I normally have prepared and use in combat: Grease, Glitterdust, Haste, Confusion, Black Tentacles

Spells I normally like to have prepared: Fly, Invisibility.

My character is somewhat of a paranoid jerk and I imagine him very much in terms of deceit, trickery, and being able to escape.

I've been considering the following:

Runestaff of the Unseen (16, 800 gp)
Teleport 25*400 = 10,000
Greater Invisbility 16*200 = 3,200
Dispel Magic 9*200 = 1,800
Anticipate Teleport 9*200 = 1,800

Reasonings:
Teleport: Always nice to have an I escape with everyone button. At the end of the day, I can in theory use it to make money teleporting goods around. At CL 10 next level, I can get pretty darn far with each casting and still get back home easily enough.
Greater Invisibility: This is the one I'm the most unsure about, but there have definitely been a few times where this would have been much more useful than Confusion or Black Tentacles due to only fighting one boss-type monster. However, as I'm not specced for combat, this is of dubious use.
Dispel Magic: We haven't been dispelling at all and, while it hasn't been a problem, having easy access to Dispel Magic when I need it is probably worth all the Haste's in the world.
Anticipate Teleportation: See paranoid. I want to have this spell up and running all the time, or as close as I can get, and I figure at the end of each day dropping a spare level 4 spell to get it up and extended for the next 20 hours is probably a fair trade. Still somewhat unsure about this one.

I'm not using Dimension Door because I'm getting Anklets of Translocation to remove me from grapples and such. Range is shorter, but on my turn I can do whatever I want to widen the distance.

I love the Silent Image spell and originally wanted it on the runestaff, but I figure an eternal wand of it might make more sense.

Invisibility logic is mostly the same as Silent Image.

Anyone have any thoughts on good spells/motives for a runestaff? This has been driving me utterly crazy to settle on.

killem2
2013-10-03, 04:14 PM
As a DM I would ask the thematic correlation of Dispel Magic with the rest of the spells, and why there isn't some other sort of teleport/vanish like spell in its place. Like rope trick or something.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-10-03, 04:21 PM
Use this trick (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=267805#4) if you're good-aligned, and you can switch around what spells it gives you depending on what you need.

Note that MIC p224 under Creating New Runestaffs says it should have two to five spells, they should be thematically linked, and the lowest level spell should be at least 3rd level. None of these are requirements, you can make a Runestaff with ten completely different spells and multiple 1st and 2nd level spells, and it won't be breaking any rules.

Lactantius
2013-10-03, 04:26 PM
I wouldn't place Anticipate Teleportation on the runestaff.
First of all, the casting time is still 10 minutes, staff or normal cast, it matters not.
Secondly, this spell is good enough if you cast it at the start of your adventuring day. The nice thing is: it's a level 3 spell, so you can use your lesser metamagic rod of extend spell on it to extend the duration to 48 hours.
Now you must memorize this spell only once/2 days.

If you want to have a spell ready on-the-fly which you don't prepare every day, then it's a good candidate for the runestaff. If your theme is being paranoid and don't get catched, I'd use something like nondetection or mislead.

I do something similiar with my antimage. He uses reciprocal gyre and ruby ray of reversal on his staff. Same problem as you seem to have: specialized spell for one problem, but not worth to memorize it daily neither make a scroll of it (too expensive with high CL).
That's what runestaves are made for.
Oh, and a second useage are spells you use daily, but which you might need more than once or twice a day. The whole dispel magic line is a good example for that.

Syrinth
2013-10-03, 04:29 PM
I'd prefer to stick to a theme myself.

The Dispel Magic is, thematically at least, to stop others from using their magic against me. See Invisibility, Arcane Sight, Black Tentacles, etc.

While I appreciate the comment, I'm not going to use the Ancestral Relic trick. It seems a bit too cheesy for me.

Edit to Add: Anticipate Teleportation is an hours/level spell so even extending it will last less than a day for me :/

Edited again: Just saw the update in SpC, now I guess I'll do the extend every second day, like I intend to do with Detect Scrying.

Syrinth
2013-10-04, 12:42 PM
Additional question, since I have ranks in UMD due to my rogue levels, would I be able to UMD my runestaff with an evocation spell?

If so, how? When I want to cast one? At the beginning of the day?