PDA

View Full Version : [D&D 3.5 Base Class] Abjurer - Peach much appreaciated - WIP

CinuzIta
2013-10-03, 02:02 PM
Hello!

After seeing so many "specialized" casting classes (like beguiler, warmage, healer etc) I've decided it was time to create one about my favourite magic school abjuration. But I didn't wanted the class to be just a plain class with some limited casting ability, so I came up with this. Peach is very much appreaciated, since I'm going to use this in a campaign I'm goin to master!

In my mind, this class is able to cast abjuration spells while holding his ground as a defensive class against spells.

The Abjurer

Background: Abjurers, just like Warmages, get instructed in an academy. Here they learn the basics of melee combat and abjuration spellcastins but they also learn to develop their own arcane shields.
Races: Abjurers are most common between humans and dwarves, but also elves have been known as Abjurers.
Other Classes: Abjurers get along well with Paladins, lawful Warmages and lawful Clerics since these classes share their martial aptitude while still taking into account the need for protection or their academic ways. Abjurers often find to argue with Barbarian and Swashbucklers, since these classes are too hot headed for an Abjurer's tastes.
Role: An Abjurer is a ranged defender, able to take huge amounts of damage from enemies' spells and thus protecting his allies.
Religion: Abjurers are not required to worship a specific deity. Those that do usually worship St. Cuthbert but there are some, even among the non-dwarves, who worship Moradin. Other also worship Boccob.
Abjurers in the World: Abjurers can be found as mercenaries, protecting important places or persons. More often, however, they are associated with their academy kingdom's armies. Abjurers go to adventure for wealth lust or just to protect other people.

Alignment: Abjurers tend towards Legality, due to their training and their consuetude to make plans ahead of time when preparing an action.
Hit Die: d8
Starting Gold: 6d4x10gp
Starting Age: As Paladin
Class Skills: The Abjurer’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Handle Animal (Cha), Knowledge (arcana) (Int), Knowledge (history) (Int), Knowledge (the planes) (Int), Listen (Wis), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Sense Motive (Wis), Spot (Wis).
Skill Points at 1st level: (4+Int Modifier) x4
Skill Points per Level: 4+Int Modifier

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Enhanced Arcane Shield|Arcane Shield Maximum Enhancement Bonus|Special

1st|
+0|
+2|
+2|
+2|+0|-|Arcane Shield, Combat Casting, Shield Skill

2nd|
+1|
+3|
+3|
+3|+1|+1|Immunity I

3rd|
+2|
+3|
+3|
+3|+1|+1|Aura of Protection

4th|
+3|
+4|
+4|
+4|+2|+1|Energy Resistance 5, Shield Skill

5th|
+3|
+4|
+4|
+4|+2|+1|Mettle

6th|
+4|
+5|
+5|
+5|+3|+2|Quick Cast 1/Day

7th|
+5|
+5|
+5|
+5|+3|+2|Immunity II, Shield Skill

8th|
+6/1|
+6|
+6|
+6|+4|+2|Armours Mastery, Energy Resistance 10/5

9th|
+6/1|
+6|
+6|
+6|+4|+3|Extended Abjuration

10th|
+7/2|
+7|
+7|
+7|+5|+3|Quick Cast 2/Day, Shield Skill

11th|
+8/3|
+7|
+7|
+7|+5|+3|Arcane Resistance

12th|
+9/4|
+8|
+8|
+8|+6|+4|Energy Resistance 15/10/5, Immunity III

13th|
+9/4|
+8|
+8|
+8|+6|+4|Shield Skill

14th|
+10/5|
+9|
+9|
+9|+7|+4|Quick Cast 3/Day

15th|
+11/6/1|
+9|
+9|
+9|+7|+5|Freedom of Movement

16th|
+12/7/2|
+10|
+10|
+10|+8|+5|Energy Resistance 20/15/10/5, Shield Skill

17th|
+12/7/2|
+10|
+10|
+10|+8|+5|Immunity IV

18th|
+13/8/3|
+11|
+11|
+11|+9|+5|Quick Cast 4/day

19th|
+14/9/4|
+11|
+11|
+11|+9|+5|Shield Skill

20th|
+15/10/5|
+12|
+12|
+12|+10|+5|Arcane Fortress[/table]

Weapon and Armour Proficiency: An Abjurer is proficient with all simple weapons plus two martial light weapons and two martial one handed weapons, with wich he has trained at the academy. Is also proficient with light and medium armor and with her arcane shield. An Abjurer can cast Abjurer spells while wearing light or medium armors without incurring the normal arcane spell failure chance. However, like any other arcane spellcaster, an Abjurer wearing heavy armor or using a shield incurs a chance of arcane spell failure if the spell in question has a somatic component (most do). A multiclass Abjurer still incurs the normal arcane spell failure chance for arcane spells received from other classes.

Spells: You cast arcane spells, which are drawn from the sorcerer/wizard abjuration spell list. You can cast any spell you know without preparing it ahead of time. An Abjurer may prepare and cast any spell on sorcerer/wizard abjuration spell list, provided that he can cast spells of that level.
To learn or cast a spell, you must have an Intelligence score equal to at least 10 + the spell level (Int 10 for 0-level spells, Int 11 for 1st-level spells, and so forth). The Difficulty Class for a saving throw against your spell is 10 + the spell level + your Int modifier.
You can cast only a certain number of spells of each spell level per day. Your base daily spell allotment is given on the table above. In addition, you receive bonus spells per day if you have a high Intelligence score (see Table 1–1: Ability Modifiers and Bonus Spells, page 8 of the Player’s Handbook).
For an Abjurer, all the 0 level abjuration spells are considered to be 1st level spells.

{table=head]Spells Known/Per-Day
{table=head]Level | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
1st | 1 | - | - | - | - | - | - | - | - |
2nd | 2 | - | - | - | - | - | - | - | - |
3rd | 2 | 1 | - | - | - | - | - | - | - |
4th | 3 | 2 | - | - | - | - | - | - | - |
5th | 3 | 2 | 1 | - | - | - | - | - | - |
6th | 3 | 3 | 2 | - | - | - | - | - | - |
7th | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1 | - | - | - | - | - |
8th | 4 | 3 | 3 | 2 | - | - | - | - | - |
9th | 4 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1 | - | - | - | - |
10th | 4 | 4 | 3 | 3 | 2 | - | - | - | - |
11th | 4 | 4 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1 | - | - | - |
12th | 4 | 4 | 4 | 3 | 3 | 2 | - | - | - |
13th | 4 | 4 | 4 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1 | - | - |
14th | 4 | 4 | 4 | 4 | 3 | 3 | 2 | - | - |
15th | 4 | 4 | 4 | 4 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1 | - |
16th | 4 | 4 | 4 | 4 | 4 | 3 | 3 | 2 | - |
17th | 4 | 4 | 4 | 4 | 4 | 3 | 3 | 2 | 1 |
18th | 4 | 4 | 4 | 4 | 4 | 3 | 3 | 3 | 2 |
19th | 4 | 4 | 4 | 4 | 4 | 3 | 3 | 3 | 2 |
20th | 4 | 4 | 4 | 4 | 4 | 3 | 3 | 3 | 3 |
[/table][/table]

Very limited spellcasting during a day, but his spellcasting abilities goes up to 9th level spells.

Arcane Shield (Sp): Starting at 1st level, the Abjurer can conjure an Arcane Shield with a standard action that provokes attacks of opportunity. This shield offer the same bonus to AC as a Tower Shield but has no maximum dexterity bonus nor any armor check penality or any arcane spell failure. As a tower shield, an arcane shield can be used to gain total concealment against non magical distance attacks. Moreover, the Arcane Shield can absorb 5 points of damage from spells, spell like effects and supernatural effects for every two levels of Abjurer (e.g. A first level Abjurer can absorb up to 5 points of magical damages with his Arcane Shield, while a thenth level Abjurer can absorb up to 25 points). Once the spell has absorbed the maximum damage, it brakes and must be created again. Conjuring and maintaining an Arcane Shield requires a free hand. The arcane shield does not appear as a proper shield, but more as a raw arcane energy shell that protect the Abjurer, standing in front of him.

Even in places where magic effects do not normally function (such as within an Antimagic Field), an Abjurer can attempt to sustain his Arcane Shield by making a DC 20 Will save. On a successful save, the Abjurer maintains his Arcane Shield for a number of rounds equal to his class level before he needs to check again. On an unsuccessful attempt, the Arcane Shield vanishes. As a move action on his turn, the Abjurer can attempt a new Will save to rematerialize his Arcane Shield while he remains within the magic-negating effect. He gains a bonus on Will saves made to maintain or form his Arcane Shield equal to half the total enhancement bonus of his Arcane Shield (see below).

Have you ever played Skyrim? Remember the defensive spell "Ward"? This appears quite like that. This is the signature ability of the class, what it really distinguish it from another class. Let me hear your voice about this please!

Combat Casting: at first level an Abjurer get Combat Casting as a bonus feat.

Shield Skill (Sp): at first level and every three levels thereafter, an Abjurer may choose one of a number of abilities to add to her repertoire. Some shield skills have prerequisites that must be met before they can be chosen. All shield skills may only be chosen once and require the Abjurer to be using his Arcane Shield unless otherwise stated in the skill's description.

Enhanced Arcane Shield (Ex): An Abjurer's arcane shield improves as the character gains higher levels. At 2nd level and every even level thereafter, the arcane shield gains a cumulative +1 enhancement bonus that the Abjurer may spend on an actual enhancement bonus or on shield special abilities. An Abjurer's level determines her maximum enhancement bonus. The Abjurer may (and must, when her total enhancement is higher than her maximum bonus) apply any special ability from Table: Shield Special Abilities instead of an enhancement bonus, as long as he meets the level requirements. An Abjurer can choose any combination of weapon special abilities and/or enhancement bonus enhancement bonus before assigning any special abilities, but the shield cannot have an actual enhancement bonus higher than +5 or lower than +1.

these two abilities are inspired by pathfinder soulknife's Mind Blade, the shield special abilities and skills will be listed on the next post

Immunity (Ex): at 2nd level the Abjurer becomes immune to Fear.
At 7th level he also becomes immune to ability drain and negative levels.
At 12th level he becomes immune to stun and paralisys.
At 17th level he becomes immunte to enchantment.

in line with the "abjuration" theme, the class is also able to negate negative statuses as well.

Aura of Protection (Su): at third level, the Abjurer get Aura of Protection. This aura give him a bonus to saving throws against spells and spell like abilities equal to his intelligence modifier. All allies within 10 feet get half this bonus.

a good bonus on saving throws, similar to that provided by the Hexblade's Resistance ability. The defender role of the Abjurer is starting with this ability.

Energy Resistance (Ex): At 4th level, an Abjurer chooses an energy type and gains resistance 5 against that type. At 8th level he chooses another energy type and gain resistance 5 against that type and 10 the the first type. At 12th level, the character gains resistance 5 against a third energy type of her choosing, the first type rise to 15 and the second to 10. At 16th level, he gain resistance 5 against a 4th energy type, the first type rise to 20, the second type rise to 15 and the third type rise to 10.

inspired from the abjurant wizard ACF

Mettle (Ex): starting at 5th level, an abjurer can resist magical and unusual attacks with great willpower or fortitude. If he makes a successful Will or Fortitude save against an attack that normally would have a lesser effect on a successful save (such as any spell with a saving throw entry of Will half or Fortitude partial), he instead completely negates the effect. An unconscious or sleeping Abjurer does not gain the benefit of mettle.

this is always nice

Quick Cast: Beginning at 6th level, the Abjurer can cast one spell each day as a swift action, so long as the casting time of the spell is 1 standard action or less. The Abjurer can use this ability twice per day at 12th level, three times per day at 14th level, and four times per day at 18th level.

when dispelling an incoming attack becomes urgent

Armour Mastery (Ex): Beginning at 8th level, an Abjurer can move at its base speed even while wearing a medium armour.

to allow some more mobility to the class

Extended Abjuration (Ex): Beginning at 9th level, all abjuration spells with a duration longer than "instantaneous" have their duration extended by 50%, without any increase in the spell level. This benefit stacks with those provided by the Extend Spell metamagic feat.

it seemed nice and somewhat needed.

Arcane Resistance (Ex): at 11th level, an Abjurer gains Spell Resistance 15+ 1/2 class level + Intelligence modifier.

a little bit pumped up if compared to other SR

Freedom of Movement (Ex): Beginning at 15th level, an Abjurer is always under the effect of a Freedom of Movement effect, like the spell.

it seemed logical to me that a defender/tanky class should be able to reach the hot spots of the battlefield no matter what

Arcane Fortress (Ex): At 20th level, an Abjurer gains DR 10/-, immunity to critical hits and sneak attacks and his Arcane Shield can absorb 10/2 levels magical damages.

and this is the peak of the Abjurer's abilities.

CinuzIta
2013-10-03, 02:03 PM
Shield Special Abilities

Read "Enhanced Arcane Shield" in the class description.

{table=head] Shield Special Ability| Enhancement Bonus Value | Required Level
Arrow Catching | +1 | 4 |
Bashing | +1 | 4 |
Blinding | +1 | 4 |
Fortification, Light | +1 | 4 |
Arrow Deflection | +2 | 6 |
Spell Resistance (13) | +2 | 6 |
Energy Resistance | +3 | 8 |
Ghost Touch | +3 | 8 |
Fortification, Moderate | +3 | 8 |
Spell Resistance (15) | +3 | 8 |
Energy Resistance, Improved | +4 | 10 |
Spell Resistance (17) | +4 | 10 |
Fortification, Heavy | +5 | 12 |
Spell Resistance (19) | +5 | 12 |
Energy Resistance, Greater | +5 | 12 |[/table]

Well, these are quite the basic special abilities for shields. You can discuss with your DM to see if he allow you to use more kind of shields' special abilities. The class is intended to do so, I was just too lazy to search for all shield special ability in the manuals! :smalltongue:

Shield Skills

coming soon

Alabenson
2013-10-05, 09:41 AM
Weapons and Armor: the martial weapon proficiencies seem odd; they don’t seem to follow any particular theme or pattern.

Spells: either the spells per day or spells known seems to be missing.

Mind Over Spirit: Given that the Abjurer already has a strong will save, this ability doesn’t really seem all that necessary, particularly given that the Abjurer is already going to be very good at boosting its will save via magic. I’d strongly consider dropping this ability altogether.

Comments about 1st level: The Abjurer looks a little too heavily front loaded; between the all good saves, decent skill points, and abilities (particularly Mind Over Spirit and Arcane Shield), a 1 level dip in Abjurer would be almost a necessity for many builds.

Enhanced Arcane Shield: The wording on this ability is a little confusing. Also, there seems to be an issue with the Maximum Enhancement Bonus table; as it stands, an Abjurer gains a +1 enhancement at 2nd level, but the Maximum Enhancement Bonus at that level is +0, meaning the Abjurer must apply a special ability instead. However, there are no special abilities useable at 2nd level.
I’d consider dropping the Maximum Enhancement Bonus (but leave a note that an Abjurer cannot have an enhancement bonus higher than +5 or lower than +1) and remove the level restrictions on the Shield Special Abilities.

Armored Evasion: I think you might be correct that this plus Mettle is a little much; I’d consider dropping this ability over Mettle since, from my perspective, it doesn’t fit as well thematically with the idea of a magically powered tank-class. You may also wish to consider dropping Reflex as a good save, since the Abjurer already has multiple defenses against those sorts of attacks.

Extended Abjuration: I’d add something directly in the ability description on how it stacks with Extend Spell.

Shield Special Abilities: You should probably expand this list somewhat, as many of the bonuses are made redundant by the Abjurer’s class features.

Overall, I’d say this has potential to be a very interesting class, but I think it still needs a bit of polishing. My single biggest concern is that, as I mentioned above, it seems to be very heavily front-loaded.

CinuzIta
2013-10-05, 12:16 PM
1. Weapons and Armor: the martial weapon proficiencies seem odd; they don’t seem to follow any particular theme or pattern.

2. Spells: either the spells per day or spells known seems to be missing.

3. Mind Over Spirit: Given that the Abjurer already has a strong will save, this ability doesn’t really seem all that necessary, particularly given that the Abjurer is already going to be very good at boosting its will save via magic. I’d strongly consider dropping this ability altogether.

4. Comments about 1st level: The Abjurer looks a little too heavily front loaded; between the all good saves, decent skill points, and abilities (particularly Mind Over Spirit and Arcane Shield), a 1 level dip in Abjurer would be almost a necessity for many builds.

5. Enhanced Arcane Shield: The wording on this ability is a little confusing. Also, there seems to be an issue with the Maximum Enhancement Bonus table; as it stands, an Abjurer gains a +1 enhancement at 2nd level, but the Maximum Enhancement Bonus at that level is +0, meaning the Abjurer must apply a special ability instead. However, there are no special abilities useable at 2nd level.
I’d consider dropping the Maximum Enhancement Bonus (but leave a note that an Abjurer cannot have an enhancement bonus higher than +5 or lower than +1) and remove the level restrictions on the Shield Special Abilities.

6. Armored Evasion: I think you might be correct that this plus Mettle is a little much; I’d consider dropping this ability over Mettle since, from my perspective, it doesn’t fit as well thematically with the idea of a magically powered tank-class. You may also wish to consider dropping Reflex as a good save, since the Abjurer already has multiple defenses against those sorts of attacks.

7. Extended Abjuration: I’d add something directly in the ability description on how it stacks with Extend Spell.

8. Shield Special Abilities: You should probably expand this list somewhat, as many of the bonuses are made redundant by the Abjurer’s class features.

Overall, I’d say this has potential to be a very interesting class, but I think it still needs a bit of polishing. My single biggest concern is that, as I mentioned above, it seems to be very heavily front-loaded.

1. I thought of giving to it proficiency with two light martial weapons and two one handed martial weapons. No great mysteries about the weapon choice, I just picked up some weapons. Should they be changed to follow a particular pattern?

2. I think I forgot to say that he knows all spells he has access to at a certain level. Fixed.

3. Maybe you're right, I'm gonna remove it.

4. Well, apart for the good saves I don't think a 1 level dip in the Abjurer would be all that beneficial. Yes, Mind over Spirit was a goodie but I'm gonna remove it. Arcane Shield is somewhat useless if you don't spend some levels in the Abjurer (if you spend a standard action to get a DR 5 against spells that is going to be brake at the first magical attacks you're doing something wrong with your build). 4+Int is not that good for the skill points (but, as you point out, still make a decent choice). What a 1 level dip would provide would be a good boost to saving throws and an arcane shield that surely isn't as good as a battle choice if you only have one level in the class.

5.The Maximum Enhancement Bonus refers to the maximum bonus allowed for special abilities that can be applied to the shield. So, at 2nd level the Arcane Shield has a +1 enhancement bonus, but no special abilities can be imbued in it. At 4th level, the Arcane Shield has an enhancement bonus of +2 and a maximum enhancement bonus of +1, meaning you can keep the +2 to the shield or spend up to a +1 for a special ability (let say arrow catching). Is it clear now? I've taken the description word by word from the soulknife so I thought it was clear. Gosh, I confused myself as well. This is the point, when the shield reach an enhancement bonus of +2 but has a maximum enhancement bonus of +1, he must spend the exceeding +1 on a special ability. I'm goin to fix the table. gah.... :smalleek:

6. I'm removing also this.

7. Going to do it!

8. I just provided a small list because there are a lot of special abilities that could be listed in there and, to be honest, I didn't wanted to go and search for all of them in the books.

Anyway, I've taken note of your objections and changed some things in the class.

Alabenson
2013-10-05, 12:34 PM
1. I thought of giving to it proficiency with two light martial weapons and two one handed martial weapons. No great mysteries about the weapon choice, I just picked up some weapons. Should they be changed to follow a particular pattern?

Generally, if a class only has access to certain weapons, such as a Monk or a Beguiler, then the weapons it has access to normally follow a certain theme. In the case of the Abjurer, since you don't seem to have a specific concept in mind for this aspect, I'd probably change the proficiencies to allow the player to pick any two light martial weapons and any two one-handed martial weapons. It leaves the power of the class the same, and allows for a little more player customization.

4. Well, apart for the good saves I don't think a 1 level dip in the Abjurer would be all that beneficial. Yes, Mind over Spirit was a goodie but I'm gonna remove it. Arcane Shield is somewhat useless if you don't spend some levels in the Abjurer (if you spend a standard action to get a DR 5 against spells that is going to be brake at the first magical attacks you're doing something wrong with your build). 4+Int is not that good for the skill points (but, as you point out, still make a decent choice). What a 1 level dip would provide would be a good boost to saving throws and an arcane shield that surely isn't as good as a battle choice if you only have one level in the class.

Dropping Mind over Spirit should help the front-loaded aspect immensely. As you point out, at first level Arcane Shield would be too situational to be really significant.

5.The Maximum Enhancement Bonus refers to the maximum bonus allowed for special abilities that can be applied to the shield. So, at 2nd level the Arcane Shield has a +1 enhancement bonus, but no special abilities can be imbued in it. At 4th level, the Arcane Shield has an enhancement bonus of +2 and a maximum enhancement bonus of +1, meaning you can keep the +2 to the shield or spend up to a +1 for a special ability (let say arrow catching). Is it clear now? I've taken the description word by word from the soulknife so I thought it was clear.

Ah, that clarifies things. In that case, you may want to change the name of Maximum Enhancement Bonus to Maximum Special Ability Bonus, since the term Enhancement Bonus typically refers to the +1 aspect of a +1 shield

CinuzIta
2013-10-05, 12:39 PM
1. Generally, if a class only has access to certain weapons, such as a Monk or a Beguiler, then the weapons it has access to normally follow a certain theme. In the case of the Abjurer, since you don't seem to have a specific concept in mind for this aspect, I'd probably change the proficiencies to allow the player to pick any two light martial weapons and any two one-handed martial weapons. It leaves the power of the class the same, and allows for a little more player customization.

Dropping Mind over Spirit should help the front-loaded aspect immensely. As you point out, at first level Arcane Shield would be too situational to be really significant.

2. Ah, that clarifies things. In that case, you may want to change the name of Maximum Enhancement Bonus to Maximum Special Ability Bonus, since the term Enhancement Bonus typically refers to the +1 aspect of a +1 shield

1. I like it as a solution, it can easily be fluffed as the class' weapons of choice during his training at the academy.

2. Eh, actually I messed something up with that as well. The maximum enhancement bonus is actually referred to the enhancement bonus itself. Meaning that when you have a +2 enhancement bonus but a +1 maximum enhancement bonus you must spend the exceeding +1 on a special ability and cannot take the whole +2 enhancement bonus. :smallbiggrin:

Edit- I was adding the Shield Skill when I accidentally pressed Ctrl+W....will do another time, right now I'm demotivated :smallsigh:

Vadskye
2013-10-05, 01:36 PM
Edit- I was adding the Shield Skill when I accidentally pressed Ctrl+W....will do another time, right now I'm demotivated :smallsigh:

Next time, press Ctrl+Shift+T. That reopens closed tabs, and would be able to rescue your post!

CinuzIta
2013-10-05, 02:08 PM
Next time, press Ctrl+Shift+T. That reopens closed tabs, and would be able to rescue your post!

If only I would have known that before *smashes head on the wall*

ngilop
2013-10-06, 06:11 PM
I love the idea of specialized wizards each one centered around a 'theme' of some sort

Its nice to see some protective support love.
I like the soulknife esque abilites you give to the sheild. makes it very unique

my sole gripe

the extremely limited spell list. just being able to cast abjuration spells seems a little disappointing. Id think including the various wall spells at the very minimum would be a great addition, maybe even such things as resillient sphere and the Hand's spells. Not to mention detect/read magic maybe other divination spells such as tongues and contact other plane.

I feel right now that you have something that is a solid 'tier' 4 but needs a littler more diversity to bump it up to 'tier' 3 and that diversity comes IMO in the form of an expanded spell lists

now Im not asking you to toss in fireballs or summon monster IV, but to round out the spell list with a more utilitarian spread.

CinuzIta
2013-10-07, 04:19 AM
Fair point you have there. I could expand the spell list, even though I'm not certain about contact other planes and similar spells..but walls, hand and similar spells are definitely in!

Morph Bark
2013-10-07, 06:38 AM
Why do you give him spells known, rather than having all spells be known, just like with the Warmage?

CinuzIta
2013-10-07, 07:37 AM
? I guess you're referring to the spell table..If you read the spells' paragraph in the class' description, you'll see they know all the spells they have access to, I just forgot to cancel "spell known" from the table's title!:)