PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Options for a barbarian?

CarpeGuitarrem
2013-10-03, 03:39 PM
So, Barbarian. Smashy-smash. So far, I'm pretty pleased with how my new character's put together, although I'm really going to have to work to keep the dude over 0 HP. Probably a lot of hiding from arrows.

So here's the deal. I want some advice on the different directions I can take this guy in the future. At the moment, it's a Level 1 Barbarian using a two-handed reach weapon to keep enemies out of poking range. (I'm strongly considering picking up the rage power that gives me extra Opportunity Attacks, just to kill melee foes before they can hit me.)

I'm somewhat enamored by the idea of (because I have a 40 ft speed with the Barbarian boost) being able to charge all the way across the map and one-shot an enemy. To that end, I'm thinking of picking up Sneak Attack from a 1-level Rogue dip, hoping to roll high in initiative and smash someone in the first round for an extra d6 of damage.

(For reference: due to using random stat roll, I have 19 Strength and 16 Constitution before entering a rage, and those are my only decent stats; the rest are hovering in the 10-12 range. I'm unfortunately not going to get AC help from my Dex, and that cuts down on the feats I can grab. Having Power Attack and 23 Strength in a rage on a Guisarme is very nice, though.)

So, what are my options at this point? I suspect I can do a few interesting things, I'm just not sure what those things are yet. (Also--the only book we're using is Pathfinder Core, and I'm not looking to go high-optimization, just finding some capable and fun options.)

khachaturian
2013-10-03, 04:47 PM
the 1d6 sneak attack is relatively trivial compared to the bonus damage you should be getting from power attack and strength with a two-handed weapon. a one level dip into rogue just doesn't really add much. if you are committed to dipping, one level into cleric with good domain powers can be ok.

i would look into the beast totem line, as the ability to full attack on a charge is kind of nice. power attack and raging vitality are a given.

Bhaakon
2013-10-03, 06:41 PM
If you're set on it, then use Vital Strike instead (you can't charge with it, but you can move and attack, it's more damage than one SA dice, and you can use it whenever you please). Then get Furious Finish when you qualify, and can acquire fatigue immunity.

I'm not sure if the fatigue from Furious Finish is the normal post-rage fatigue that lasts 2x number of rounds raging, or if it's normal fatigue that lasts until you rest (I think RAI is the former, but the later appears to be RAW).

Either way, running around and smashing one opponent per round with Vital Strike isn't high OP, but it's probably better than dipping rogue, and useful when you can't get off your full attack.

Fosco the Swift
2013-10-03, 08:29 PM
I know you're not looking for high optimization but unexpected strike would be highly useful for a character with a reach weapon since you would be effecting a larger area.
For those arrows you can get rolling dodge for a small bonus to AC, although it isn't much.
If you are into class dipping, multiclassing in Fighter (like Thog) gets you some bonus feats, and at 4th level you get a enhancement to your glaive with weapon training. Monk gives you a free feat and the ability to choose deflect arrows for those range attacks.
As a rager the extra rage feat is really nice for the 6 extra rounds.
If you are one of the few people who use intimidate often, intimadating prowness gives a nice boost to your intimidate.
Since you seem to enjoy reach, the Lunge feat can increase your reach by another 5ft, really nice for giving you some battlefield control.
And on the topic of battlefield control, Combat Reflexes will give you some extra attacks of opportunity, useful when you have reach.
Any of these seem any good?

Arbane
2013-10-03, 09:07 PM
Some guides for making a barbarian:

BARBARIAN AM SMASH: A Practical Guide to Breaking Faces (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Ump_KFzNoD7x6aJ9ywGank5G9DzSVlef28bBbjuIq2U/edit?pli=1) and Elewan's Pathfinder Barbarian Guide (https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=1im9-alhmNPAIQknkclrrhLupSFb6vmMNnQmW8BuORBA)

My own suggestions:
Take the Invulnerable Rager archetype - the increased DR is better than Trap Sense.
Power Attack is your best friend.
If you want to 'jump across the map and one-shot some chump', grab Vital Strike. If you want to jump across the map and one-shot MULTIPLE chumps, grab the Beast Totem line of rage powers instead (it gets you Pounce, which is nigh-impossible to get in PF, unless you're an Eidolon.)
A one-level dip in Oracle with the Lame curse at level 9 makes you immune to fatigue, allowing Rage-Cycling tricks much earlier than straight Barbarian. Three levels of Horizon Walker with the Desert terrain mastery can do the same thing.
If your team's not big on buffing, consider the Superstitious rage power and the ones on that tree - it's the closest thing to a caster-killer PF has.

Raimun
2013-10-03, 10:15 PM
You want to kill things?

Combine Power Attack with Reckless Abandon-rage power and (Lesser Beast Totem and) Beast Totem. You get all the benefits of Power Attack with none of the drawbacks when you rage.

Also, that will lock you to Beast Totem-line of rage powers which will pay in the long run...

Edit: Do note that Barbarians only need one or two Feats: Power Attack and possibly Raging Vitality. Most of the time you should use your Feats for Extra Rage Powers.

navar100
2013-10-03, 10:16 PM
Dipping for rogue is a waste. Power Attack alone gives you all the damage you need. At level 4 barbarian it's already giving you +6 damage.

Consider Furious Focus feat. You still get the Power Attack penalty on your lesser iteratives on full attacks, but if you're charging a lot you're only getting one attack anyway allowing you to keep your full attack bonus + charge while using Power Attack. Even on a standard action one attack because you move you don't take any penalty.

Deadly Stroke is a nice feat to build towards. http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/deadly-stroke-combat

CarpeGuitarrem
2013-10-08, 10:42 AM
Mm. Given the advice, I think I'll check in with the DM on nabbing stuff from the Advanced Player's Guide. It just looks like it has a lot of cool options. Unsure if we'll actually get to a high enough level for Greater Beast Totem, but that's a really cool line of stuff*. (That being said, it's still a casual-ish game and I don't want to start pulling in supplementary books if I can help it. With another group, in another campaign, I totally would.)

Also, I want to keep some flexibility, but Furious Focus definitely looks like it could be a worthwhile feat to pick up, to make sure I keep hitting as my Power Attack grows. Thanks for the pointer!

*I note with amusement that it's possibly the only way that Whirwind Attack could be made rather good, assuming a reach weapon.