PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Bestiary 4 introduces Kaiju, let's homebrew rules for colossal constructs!

Reinkai
2013-10-03, 07:55 PM
Many years have passed since your journey began, and you have experienced victory and loss, made new friends and said goodbye to old ones. You find yourself in a large metropolis, which has been your home for many years. As you patrol the city wall, you see a massive disruption in the ocean. A creature begins to walk out of the sea onto the coastline. Steven Jay Blum's voice passes through your lips, unbidden. "Now, Big O, it's SHOWTIME!" A massive rumbling shakes the ground as a colossal construct rips through the earth below you, emerging from the sewer. You jump into the cockpit, and prepare to fight.

Needless to say, I'm really looking forward to little intermissions when people start getting tired in D&D sessions to do throwaway fights with giant constructs vs kaiju.

Before the book comes out, I'd like to set up a system to allow everyone to make their own constructs fairly easily. It should be something pretty modular, so perhaps something using XP as a currency, and each aspect of the construct costing a certain amount of XP? This would allow me to match the CR of the kaiju to certain XP values.

I'm also thinking it might make things more interesting to allow people to add class levels or features to their constructs. Giving the construct improved unarmed fighting and flurry of blows if it has fists, so on and so forth.

So what would be a good starting point? What rules should be implemented or avoided? Any suggestions overall?

grarrrg
2013-10-03, 11:15 PM
All Gundams/EVAs/Gunmen/Battlemechs/Gears/Guymelefs/Jaegers/Zords/etc...
Could mostly just be considered to be Colossal Quinggong Monks.

The Monk part covers the punching/fighty stuff.
The Quinggong adds just enough "energy blasts" or what have you for "special moves" and whatnot.

Snowbluff
2013-10-03, 11:19 PM
Pfft, as if.

Synthesist Summoners. They can't wear armor normally. Fix that so they can wear construct armor.

Construct armor, but allow the riders to have armor that is too large, so they can wear it.

Then put the 2 together for special attacks and stuff. Synthesist allows for customization, and the armor... armors and gives other defensive traits.

Alleran
2013-10-04, 01:53 AM
Why not just Magic Jar (EDIT: wait, Fusion first, then Magic Jar if you want dual pilots) into a custom-built, Colossal-sized Jaeger construct (which has a hollow point in the head to keep your body safe in a harness, naturally) and go to town?

I'm sure there's at least one construct that is colossal, humanoid, and can be made vulnerable to a Magic Jar.

Doorhandle
2013-10-04, 02:37 AM
For a more MechWarrior-type thing, you could use a steam giant as a vehicle, or perhaps an alchemical dragon. (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/ultimateCombat/ultimateCombatVehicles.html)

While on that note you could just ride something huge. Probably wouldn't be too hard to get a golem carry you about on it's back.

Reinkai
2013-10-04, 05:43 PM
I'm not so much concerned with how the players will control it, I was just going to play it as though it was their character when the fight started.

The reason I was thinking an XP buy system is to make it easier to control their effective power compared to the CR of the kaiju.

unseenmage
2013-10-04, 09:21 PM
It might be a larger scale construct than you're looking for but in this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=300752)there's considerable discussion about city-sized constructs.

Not sure how it works in PF but for 3.5 there's the potential (meaning with much DM begging) of simply building a stronghold into, onto, around, and through an epic golem Colossus or the Dragon magazine conversion of the Shadow of the Colossus constructs.

Tokuhara
2013-10-04, 10:40 PM
IMPACT!!!!

http://assets1.ignimgs.com/2007/09/01/goemon-impact-20070831063819940-2106191_640w.jpg

That is all.