PDA

View Full Version : wanting to make and balance a spellcasting fighter class.

Chadamantium
2013-10-04, 12:16 AM
So first off this is more for fun than anything unless something really cool comes out of it.

so basically I'm trying to build a fighter hybrid class that can cast spontaneous spells. I'm hoping to get it in the tier 2 or 3 range. I was thinking using the bard's spells per day and spells known with sorcerer/wizards spell list. Maybe barring a couple schools(evocation and necromancy?)and losing a couple fighter feats.

So what are your thoughts on this?

edit: Well after reading the comments, most of this has been done with either duskblade or other homebrew. But thinking on it, This could be applied with the druid or cleric or any other caster that gets 9th level spells. Maybe as a fighter Alternate Class Feature? I was thinking using spells for utility and maybe buffs. Since the fighter would only end up with 6th level spells by the end of the level progression, I figured it wouldn't become overpowered.

The Insanity
2013-10-04, 12:18 AM
Duskblade.

TroubleBrewing
2013-10-04, 12:19 AM
Duskblade.

Kuulvheysoon
2013-10-04, 12:20 AM
...You mean like PHB2's Duskblade? Easy T3, Int-based spontaneous casting, armored casting, full BAB.

They're highly focused on combat, however, and you're looking for something more general, correct?

If you're up for a plain build, a standard Sorcadin fills all of the criteria pretty easily.

EDIT: ...Wow, double- ninja'd. Impressive.

Waker
2013-10-04, 12:22 AM
So first off this is more for fun than anything unless something really cool comes out of it.

so basically I'm trying to build a fighter hybrid class that can cast spontaneous spells. I'm hoping to get it in the tier 2 or 3 range. I was thinking using the bard's spells per day and spells known with sorcerer/wizards spell list. Maybe barring a couple schools(evocation and necromancy?)and losing a couple fighter feats.

So what are your thoughts on this?

So you are currently fishing for ideas for a Homebrew class?

You want a Gish with T2-3 potential. Spontaneous spells will usually imply Charisma-focus, though that is not set in stone. You'll want full or 3/4 BAB progression. If you go Arcane, you will probably want some ASF negation in some form. As a Gish, you'll probably want to go D8 or maybe D10 for HD with one or two good saves (Fort/Will). What kind of spells were you looking for? Specifically do you see this as more of a Buff yourself up to be an even better Fighter, Combat Spells type or more Utility type?

Der_DWSage
2013-10-04, 12:30 AM
Frankly, this idea has been done more than a few times.

To do it from level 1, you can use the Duskblade, Battle Sorcerer variant from UA, or ask if you can gestalt a Fighter with an Adept.

To do it after that point, there's loads and loads of prestige classes, the first of which is the Eldritch Knight.

To do it in Pathfinder, play a Magus, any number of Bard archetypes, Scarred Witch Doctor, Synthesist Summoner, and I'm sure I'm missing a few.

It's not really something new-you'd be better off asking exactly what type of mage-fighter you want, and the Playground can toss another ten examples at you.

Ortesk
2013-10-04, 12:38 AM
do you want to advoid most pit falls of a melee class (i hit it again, and again, and wait it flew? Bags!) and pit fall of a typical caster (let me look at page 12 of my spells here DM, just a moment) by building a specific utilty/smash em build? you can be up front and also be useful later, or just build some uber martial guy who slings spells on himself and goes crazy

holywhippet
2013-10-04, 12:42 AM
If you were willing to use the druid spell list instead, you could go monk/spirit shaman/sacred fist.

Der_DWSage
2013-10-04, 02:17 AM
I can't help but notice you wanted homebrew ideas, and everybody (myself included) just pointed you at things that already exist that cover what you wanted.

And if you think about it, it's pretty lazy design to just go '...Let's just mash these two existing classes together.' Because you're pretty much talking about taking the Fighter class ability chart, and adding the Wizard's spell slots to the right of it.

You want to get something interesting out of this idea? Don't go for Fighter + Spellcasting. Think of something you can make Fighters do that mages can't. Start inventing something like the Tome of Battle. Give it a unique subsystem, like Binding or the Incarnum. These are things that people have loved because it brought something new to the table, not just a mishmash of existing concepts.

It's harder, but ultimately more rewarding at the end of the day.

ArcturusV
2013-10-04, 02:33 AM
Hmm...

That DOES give me an idea... I'll see if I can flesh it out sometime this weekend.

Chadamantium
2013-10-04, 03:12 AM
Well after reading the comments, most of this has been done with either duskblade or other homebrew. But thinking on it, This could be applied with the druid or cleric or any other caster that gets 9th level spells. Maybe as a fighter Alternate Class Feature? I was thinking using spells for utility and maybe buffs. Since the fighter would only end up with 6th level spells by the end of the level progression, I figured it wouldn't become overpowered.

Egopunk
2013-10-04, 05:19 AM
If you're looking for a proper homebrew, how about some suggestions:

BAB: full(limit spellcasting to 5th or 6th) or 3/4 (could allow up to 7th with maybe an 8th as a capstone)
Caster Level = Class lvl
Choice of Wizard or Fighter bonus feats at 5th, 8th, 11th, 15th or similar progression. Optionally, provide specific feat choices at thise levels.
Kinetic Metamagic (Award around 7th lvl to melee focused fighters) . The round after you strike someone in melee, you may transfer the residual energy collected into metamagic feats you know. You may apply one free level of metamagic for each successful melee attack on the previous turn, without changing the level or casting time of the spell.
Or
Windborne Arrows: as a swift action, you may loose a casting of a spell level for which you know a spell with the air descriptor to imbue your arrows with a zephyr that carries them home with extra force and precision. For a number of rounds equal to the spell level lost, your arrows gain a circumstance bonus to attack equal to the spell level lost and to damage equal to (spell level lost)d6.
Spell list: you need to either construct a custom spell list for the class or pick on one of the other class lists. Do you want them to be able to choose their spell list or will it be a pre built but larger list like that used by Warmage, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer and Healer?

Kudaku
2013-10-04, 06:40 AM
Personally I'd take a long hard look at the PF magus, specifically the Spell Combat class feature and how it interacts with Spellstrike. Being able to combine spellcasting and full attacks makes for a very interesting class dynamic, while most (if not all?) other casters have to choose between either attacks or spells.

I'd go as far as to say that you could take the magus, keep the magus spell list but put the bard spell progression on it, and be about 80% to your goal. I'm sure there'll be some kinks to work out (Spell Recall would need to be tweaked for sure) but it's a hell of a lot less work than starting from scratch.