PDA

View Full Version : Have $40 to spend on Steam

Avilan the Grey
2013-10-04, 02:12 AM
No multiplayer, not shooting games.

I want RPG, "god games", city builders etc. Maybe adventures.

Tips please?

Driderman
2013-10-04, 02:24 AM
Well the new XCOM and the Baldurs Gate Enhanced edition are both 75% off right now.

Avilan the Grey
2013-10-04, 02:26 AM
Well the new XCOM and the Baldurs Gate Enhanced edition are both 75% off right now.

XCOM (strategy) I already have! Prebooked it even :smallsmile:
Baldur's Gate you say? Hmm.... Sooo tempting! Thanks!

Ogremindes
2013-10-04, 02:33 AM
Have you played Antichamber (http://store.steampowered.com/app/219890/)?

Driderman
2013-10-04, 02:55 AM
Final Fantasy VII is 50% off, and the newest Civ 5 expansion Brave New World is 33% off, if you're into Civilization (and Civ 5 itself is 50% off as well).

Grif
2013-10-04, 03:22 AM
Tropico 4?

Being El Presidente is good for a lot of hours of fun. :smallwink:

Cogwheel
2013-10-04, 03:25 AM
Dungeons of Dredmor? It's a good game and costs basically nothing.

Wookieetank
2013-10-04, 10:16 AM
Have you played Antichamber (http://store.steampowered.com/app/219890/)?

This so very much. If you enjoyed the feel and puzzle aspects of Portal this game is for you. Think of what the test chambers would be like if gLaDoS was on acid, and you'll get a close approximation of what Antichamber is like.

Dungeons of Dredmor? It's a good game and costs basically nothing.

This is another good one. I've sunk 120+ hours into it and still not beat it. Has a very fun and quirky sense of humor and an extrodinary ammount of build options, particularly if you pick up all the expansions. If duel wielding chainsaw swords while channeling viking magic, shooting lasers from your eyes and having Bolts of Mass Destruction at your desposal sounds like a good time this game is for you.

I'd like to add Fez to the list as well. Still playing through it myself, but it is rather amazing. Puzzle platformer where you can change your perspective, which in turn changes which platforms can get you where. Also has a very well done retro look to it.

Choyrt
2013-10-04, 10:33 AM
Witcher 2?

ObadiahtheSlim
2013-10-04, 10:49 AM
Another for Tropico 4. Fun game. The builders can be annoying, but overall a great quirky game.

2k is having a sale right now, so Borderlands 2 will be cheap. X:Com Enemy Unknown is like 75% off so go grab that game.

wiimanclassic
2013-10-04, 11:17 AM
3rding Tropico 4, but I would save that money for games on sale, especially Tropico 4, much better with the modern times expansion.

banthesun
2013-10-04, 11:44 AM
Expeditions: Conquistador is a pretty good tactics RPG for $20 (aus). Plenty of room for choice, some pretty tight turn based strategy, interesting characters, and a setting that is pretty underused. It's also got a (slightly flexible) perma-death mechanic, and a solid ironman mode. It''s definitely one of the more enjoyable games I've played recently.

LWDLiz
2013-10-04, 12:01 PM
The newest Civ 5 expansion Brave New World is 33% off, if you're into Civilization (and Civ 5 itself is 50% off as well).

I'm going to have to second this! I started with the original civ, and I really like this Civ version. The recent expansion is a great new approach to the game. I would recommend getting the base game ($19.99) and the latest expansion Brave New World ($20.09).

rapter200
2013-10-04, 11:31 PM
If you want the most bang for your buck in my opinion grab Europa Universalis 4 or Crusader Kings 2.

Raimun
2013-10-05, 12:21 PM
Shadowrun Returns?

It's a tactical RPG and one that I should really buy one of these days. I've heard it's good.

Driderman
2013-10-05, 12:32 PM
Shadowrun Returns and yeah, it's pretty fun. Very linear as an RPG, but a decent story and it has a toolset so plenty of possibility for more immersive modules later on.

Avilan the Grey
2013-10-05, 12:36 PM
Thanks for all suggestions :smallsmile:

Darth Mario
2013-10-05, 12:47 PM
Europa Universalis IV or Crusader Kings II: Both wonderful take-over-the-world type god games with a heavy focus on historical "realism". CK2 in particular is often described as a "Medieval Soap Opera Simulator."

factotum
2013-10-05, 05:03 PM
Shadowrun Returns?

It's a tactical RPG and one that I should really buy one of these days. I've heard it's good.

Pretty sure Avilan's already got that--he posted in the Shadowrun Returns discussion thread a few times, as I recall.

Teln
2013-10-05, 08:57 PM
Europa Universalis IV or Crusader Kings II: Both wonderful take-over-the-world type god games with a heavy focus on historical "realism". CK2 in particular is often described as a "Medieval Soap Opera Simulator."

And they're both insanely complex simulators with tutorials that are at best opaque, and horribly misleading/flat-out wrong at worst. They're great games, yes, but they're "fun" in the same way that Dwarf Fortress can be.

Hiro Protagonest
2013-10-05, 09:05 PM
And they're both insanely complex simulators with tutorials that are at best opaque, and horribly misleading/flat-out wrong at worst. They're great games, yes, but they're "fun" in the same way that Dwarf Fortress can be.

There's a difference. After you watch YouTube tutorials/LPs for CK and EU, you actually have an idea of what's going on.

Brother Oni
2013-10-05, 09:05 PM

Significantly less lava though. :smalltongue:

Grif
2013-10-05, 10:28 PM

Until you realise there're many things you can safely ignore or at least tackle at your own leisure.

:smalltongue:

Avilan the Grey
2013-10-05, 11:37 PM
Yes, I have Shadowrun Returns.

For now, since I couldn't make my mind up, I just snagged Baldur's Gate while it was on weekend sale.

Kudaku
2013-10-06, 06:39 AM
5th(?)ing Tropico 4 - it's a great city builder and a lot of fun. I'd skip the DLC, with one exception. The rest of the DLCs add a mission and a few new buildings that focus on the topic of the mission (plantation? You need to grow crops!) but Modern Times really shakes up the gameplay and adds a great deal of new and interesting options.

Castaras
2013-10-06, 12:25 PM
If you still have some money, I've been having a lot of fun with both Towns and Gnomoria. Both are games where you have a group of settlers that are trying to survive - main difference is Gnomoria is closer to Dwarf Fortress, whereas Towns is closer to Majesty in style.

Avilan the Grey
2013-10-06, 01:53 PM
5th(?)ing Tropico 4 - it's a great city builder and a lot of fun. I'd skip the DLC, with one exception. The rest of the DLCs add a mission and a few new buildings that focus on the topic of the mission (plantation? You need to grow crops!) but Modern Times really shakes up the gameplay and adds a great deal of new and interesting options.

I am really sorry; forgot to say I already have this :smallsmile:

Avilan the Grey
2013-10-12, 02:56 AM
Legend of Grimrock? I had forgotten that it was out there.
Thoughts?

Ogremindes
2013-10-12, 03:47 AM
Legend of Grimrock? I had forgotten that it was out there.
Thoughts?

I didn't play it all the way through, but from what I played it seemed very good, I've been meaning to come back to it. First person, real-time, tile based dungeon crawler with lots of puzzles and secret rooms. UI kinda sucks, as it's based off of classic games of the type.

factotum
2013-10-12, 04:11 AM
It's great, so long as you like that sort of game--there's a very particular way to doing well in combat in these which basically involves stepping back one space, turning left or right, waiting for the enemy to move in front of you, hit them, then rinse and repeat until the enemy is dead. If you don't use that tactic you will likely die quite quickly to the nastier mobs.

Morph Bark
2013-10-12, 04:34 AM
One of the Populous games is on Steam. It's an older game, but I believe it fits the "god game" term.

Might we have a link to your Steam page to see which games you already have? Could be a lot easier to make suggestions, as we could leave out those and make suggestions based off what you already like.

Avilan the Grey
2013-10-12, 02:06 PM
One of the Populous games is on Steam. It's an older game, but I believe it fits the "god game" term.

Might we have a link to your Steam page to see which games you already have? Could be a lot easier to make suggestions, as we could leave out those and make suggestions based off what you already like.

Waiting for Godus, actually (Beta right now). Will buy it when it's done.

Here's the link. (http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197991554468/games?tab=all)