PDA

View Full Version : [monster]Sand Wizard (it'll help to have Sandstorm)

Kevka Palazzo
2006-12-30, 03:31 PM
I'm doing a little mini-campaign for a couple friends of mine, and when they were in the middle of a desert excursion, I randomly created a monster for them to fight. I decided it was a cool idea so I officially statted it.

Sand Wizard
Medium Construct
HD 6d10+20 (50 HP)
Speed 20 ft. (4 squares); Burrow 60 ft.
Init: +2
AC 17; touch 14; flat-footed 15
(+2 Dex; +3 natural; +2 deflection)
BAB +4; Grp +10
Attack Slam +6
(1d4+2, x2 + 1d4 negative energy + 1d4 desiccation)
Full-Attack Slam +6
(1d4+2, x2 + 1d4 negative energy + 1d4 desiccation)
Space 5 ft.; Reach 5 ft.
Special Attacks Spell-like abilities, Life Leech
Special Qualities Construct traits; tremorsense 120 ft., this replaces all forms of vision in construct traits; Damage Reduction 5/magic, a sand wizard’s own natural weapons are treated as magic weapons for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction; immunity to negative energy spells; immunity to healing effects except for its own (see below)
Saves Fort +2 Ref +4 Will +5
Abilities Str 14, Dex 15, Con -, Int -, Wis 16, Cha 1
Skills Sand Wizards have a +8 racial bonus to hide checks made in sandy environments
Feats Improved Grapple
Environment Sand wizards are usually found only in deserts and wastelands, but occasionally one will find itself wandering in areas that have loose sand with little flora.
Organization Solitary
Challenge Rating 5
Treasure Special, see below.
Alignment Always neutral evil

A robed figure rises from the sand, swirling dust surrounding it. It raises its arms and lets loose a wailing screech that sends shivers down your spine.

Spell-Like Abilities: CL 6, 2/day – black sand (Sandstorm, pg. 111, DC 16); 3/day – inflict light wounds, desiccate (Sandstorm, pg. 114, DC 15); 2/day – inflict moderate wounds; 1/day – blast of sand (Sandstorm, pg. 112, DC 17)

Life Leech (Su): When a sand wizard’s HP is low, or they find a small, easy-to-kill creature in the wastes, they attempt to grapple the creature and drain the life and water out of it. If the sand wizard manages to pin its opponent, it begins dealing negative energy damage (2d6) and healing damage for that amount. It also drains the water right out of the creature’s body, as the spell desiccate, itself taking ¼ of the damage that it deals due to the nature of sand.

Treasure While a sand wizard doesn’t carry anything on it, when it dies it leaves behind a glistening pile of diamond dust. While not necessarily a huge profit can be made from it, it does act as a wonderful spell component for necromancy spells and spells with the earth descriptor, increasing the saving throw of such spells by 2 and increasing the effective caster level by 1. A single sand wizard leaves behind enough diamond dust for three uses.

Some of you probably don’t have Sandstorm, and therefore can’t make accurate assessments of the monster based on its spell-like abilities, nor do you know the effects of dehydration, so I’ll put those down here.

Dehydration is described in Sandstorm as having these effects: Fatigue; if a dehydrated character would take nonlethal damage from hot conditions, that damage instead becomes lethal damage; a character who falls unconscious from nonlethal damage due to thirst begins to take the same amount of lethal damage instead; damage from thirst cannot be recovered until the character has been treated, not even by magic that restores hit points.

Treating dehydration requires 24 hours of care (heal checks) and twice the normal amount of water required per day for the conditions.

Black Sand
Necromancy [Darkness, Evil]
Level: 3
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Area: 20 ft.-radius spread
Duration: 1 min./level
Saving Throw: Reflex negates; see text
Spell Resistance: Yes

The spell creates a 20 ft. radius patch of black sand. Magical darkness fills the air 20 ft. above the patch, and creatures take 1d4 points of damage per round from negative energy (no save). A reflex save can be made to avoid being caught in the initial spell area.

Desiccate
Necromancy
Level: 2
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Target: One living creature
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Fortitude partial
Spell Resistance: Yes

You evaporate moisture from the body of a living creature, dealing it 1d6 points of desiccation damage per two caster levels (maximum 5d6) and making it dehydrated.

Blast of Sand
Conjuration (Creation) [Earth]
Level: 4
Range: 30 ft.
Area: Cone-shaped burst
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Reflex half
Spell Resistance: No

Basically, it’s a sand cone that does 1d6 points of damage per caster level (max 10d6).

Soooo.....Thoughts? Complaints? Critiques? I'm open.

Kevka Palazzo
2006-12-30, 08:20 PM
Can I take it that since ya'll didn't respond that this creature is perfect in every way? Awesome!

jlousivy
2006-12-31, 01:59 AM
i like it. i don't really see a problem with any balance issues save the diamond dust (if it can be found alot)

Kevka Palazzo
2006-12-31, 12:44 PM
Well they don't travel in groups and they're somewhat sparse even in the environments that they're found in.

They were a combination of inspirations from the Dustform Creature template in Sandstorm and the spell list. Plus I was just being random that day.

Kevka Palazzo
2006-12-31, 07:32 PM
Damn....had....to....make....so....many....typing corrections.

XtheYeti
2007-01-01, 12:37 AM
Its cool

Rock on