PDA

View Full Version : I'll Make You A Deal... [Creature]

The Demented One
2006-12-30, 03:44 PM
Azazel
Size/Type: Medium Outsider (Chaos, Evil, Extraplanar, Tanar’ri)
Hit Dice: 12d8+36 (90 hp)
Initiative: +6
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares), fly 30 ft. (good)
Armor Class: 20 (+6 Dex, +4 natural), touch 16, flatfooted 14
Base Attack/Grapple: +12/+12
Attack: Eldritch Blast +18 ranged touch (6d6) or Glaive +15 melee (1d10+3/x3)
Full Attack: Eldritch Blast +18 ranged touch (6d6) or Glaive +15/+10/+5 melee (1d10+3/x3)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Eldritch blast, invocations, summon tanar’ri, spell-like abilities
Special Qualities: Change shape, damage reduction 10/cold iron, darkvision 60 ft., immunity to electricity and poison, resistance to acid 10, cold 10, and fire 10, spell resistance 24, telepathy 100 ft., warlock pact
Saves: Fort +11, Ref +14, Will +8
Abilities: Str 16, Dex 22, Con 16, Int 15, Wis 10, Cha 20
Skills: Bluff +20, Concentration +18, Intimidate +20, Knowledge (Arcana) +17, Knowledge (The Planes) +17, Listen +15, Sense Motive +15, Spellcraft +17, Spot +15, Use Magic Device +20
Feats: Mortalbane (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Mortalbane,BV), Violate Spell-Like Ability (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Violate_Spell-Like_Ability,BV), Dark Speech (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Dark_Speech,FC1), Empower Spell-Like Ability (Eldritch Blast), Extra Invocation (Flee the Scene)
Environment: The Abyss
Organization: Solitary, pair, or troupe (1 Azazel, 2-4 Babaus, and 3-6 Quasits)
Challenge Rating: 13
Treasure: Double Standard
Alignment: Always Chaotic Evil
Advancement: By Character Class (Favored Class: Warlock)
Level Adjustment: +12

Azazels are powerful demons who seduce mortals to evil with offers of arcane power. They can imbue mere mortals with the arcane power to become warlocks–and, in doing so, claim their souls for Hell. Azazels spend most of their time on the Material Plane in search of souls to corrupt. In their natural form, they appear as red-skinned demons, tall and lanky, with flowing, ribbon-like wings and a short, forked tail. However, much like a succubus, they can assume whatever form suits them. They often pick suave male forms, appearing both seductive and wise.

Eldritch Blast (Sp)
A Azazel uses an eldritch blast as an 8th level Warlock. Its eldritch blast typically takes the form of a blast of hellfire, and deals fire damage by default unless modified with an eldritch essence invocation.

Invocations (Sp)
A Azazel uses invocations as an 8th level Warlock. The DC’s of its invocations equal 15 plus invocation level.

Typical Invocations Known
Least–beguiling influence, frightful blast, see the unseen; flee the scene, hellrime blast, the dead walk, walk unseen; Greater–devour magic.

Spell-Like Abilities
At will–charm person (DC 16), detect magic, detect thoughts (DC 17), dispel magic, greater teleport (self plus 50 lbs. of objects only), magic circle against good, magic circle against law; 3/day–bestow curse (DC 19), charm monster (DC 19) creature, fear (DC 19); 1/day–greater dispel magic, plane shift, true seeing

Summon Tanar’ri (Sp)
Once per day, a Azazel can attempt to summon 2d6 babaus or 1d2 vrocks with a 50% chance of success, or another Azazel with a 20% chance of success. This ability is the equivalent of a 4th-level spell.

Change Shape (Su)
A Azazel can assume the form of any Small or Medium humanoid.

Warlock Pact (Su)
A Azazel can bestow formidable arcane power on a creature willing to accept it. The Azazel cannot make this pact unless the other creature accepts it of its own free will–it cannot be enchanted into accepting. Once the other creature agrees to the pact, the Azazel conducts an hour-long ritual in which the creature is imbued with arcane power drawn from the depths of the Abyss. Once the ritual is complete, the creature gains Warlock as a favored class, and may exchange up to half of his current class levels for Warlock levels. If its alignment does not meet the Warlock class’s requirements, it may change its alignment, as the atonement spell, but without an xp cost for either party. Accepting the warlock pact is both a chaotic and an evil action. Once a Azazel has made a warlock pact, it cannot make any more for a week, but it is rewarded for earning another servant of hell–it gets a +4 profane bonus to Charisma that lasts for a week.

Kevka Palazzo
2006-12-30, 03:49 PM
I like the monster, but there's a slight problem.

Demons come from the Abyss, and don't seek to corrupt souls: they just want to destroy.

Devils come from the Nine Hells and love corrupting souls, because souls are the basic economic unit in the Nine Hells.

Sorry, I have both Fiendish Codexes.

EDIT: Oh, right, and devils and demons hate each other, mostly because they're on opposite ends of the law-chaos spectrum, and devils were originally angels made specifically for the purpose of killing demons. Without devils, demons would overrun the rest of the planes because of their numbers. Therefore, no demon would ever be allowed in hell, let alone work for it.

The Demented One
2006-12-30, 03:51 PM
If demons don't corrupt, then what are succubi for? The fluff for the Warlock class makes it clear that most 'locks get their powers making bargains with demons - no devilry involved. Not all demons are mindless kill-machines.

Kevka Palazzo
2006-12-30, 04:06 PM
Okay, after I read a little out of Hordes of the Abyss and the Warlock class entry, I can make a better argument.

Warlocks get their power from evil outsiders in general, be it from devils, demons or whatever else.

Succubi belong to a demon "class" called Corruptors. Basically, Corruptors don't care about getting souls to the Abyss ('cause they really aren't that important), instead, they corrupt now to further the spread of chaos. Unlike devils, demons will corrupt someone and let them live: with the promise that if the mortal ever crosses the demon there will be more than hell to pay.

Also, regardless of the rest of the argument, a demon wouldn't be collecting souls for hell. If anything, she'd collect them for herself or a superior if she had one.

One last thing, the only source of hellfire right now is Mephistopheles, the lord of Cania, the 8th layer of the Nine Hells. Hellfire Warlocks are a PrC from Fiendish Codex II: Tyrants of the Nine Hells (and are pretty cool, you might want to check them out if you've got the $$, or at least the time.)

The Demented One
2006-12-30, 04:28 PM
Yes, that or fey. However, demons are cited as the most frequent patrons of them.

[quote]Succubi belong to a demon "class" called Corruptors. Basically, Corruptors don't care about getting souls to the Abyss ('cause they really aren't that important), instead, they corrupt now to further the spread of chaos.[quote]
Yeah, this is basically the motive of these guys too. However, even if the primary goal isn't getting souls for the Abyss, those corrupted still end up going there.

[quote]Also, regardless of the rest of the argument, a demon wouldn't be collecting souls for hell. If anything, she'd collect them for herself or a superior if she had one.
These guys don't literally collect souls - they just go around corrupting mages. The whole "they die and wind up in the Abyss" bit is just a perk.

One last thing, the only source of hellfire right now is Mephistopheles, the lord of Cania, the 8th layer of the Nine Hells. Hellfire Warlocks are a PrC from Fiendish Codex II: Tyrants of the Nine Hells (and are pretty cool, you might want to check them out if you've got the $$, or at least the time.)
Hmm? I don't recall these guys doing anything with hellfire.

Shadow of the Sun
2006-12-30, 05:22 PM
Hehehe. "Pleased to meet you, I am a man of wealth and taste..."

Kevka Palazzo
2006-12-30, 06:04 PM
Hmm? I don't recall these guys doing anything with hellfire.

Yeah. Hellfire is a recent invention of Mephistopheles that he thinks will eventually get him a boon of souls. He's even slowed down soul collection efforts just to get it to spread to his followers.

They can imbue mere mortals with the arcane power to become warlocks–and, in doing so, claim their souls for Hell.

This is my only problem really. Just change that "claim their souls for Hell" to something like "claim their souls." Sorry if I sound like a whiner.

Danu
2006-12-31, 01:20 AM
If I remember correctly, demons are -in fact- into corrupting and gaining souls for hell. If I remember correctly, the souls of sinners are the currency that demons and devils use in their extraplanar affairs.

I just have one minor nit-pick. As an outsider, the azazel shouldn't have the extraplanar subtype. That subtype is meant for a non-outsider creature that is currently inhabiting a plane it isn't native to.

PhoeKun
2006-12-31, 01:43 AM
Actually, if you look at each and every Outsider ever made, you'll find they all have the Extraplanar subtype. Those without are the exception rather than the rule.

I like the Azazel. Demons can act as fantastic corrupters of mortals, and doing that via Warlock powers fits them especially well. But there is a distinction between Demons and Devils (and the Abyss vs. Hell). You'll never find a Tanar'ri in Hell because the Baatezu would rip it to shreds. There's that whole "Blood War" thing going on.

So other than that little flavor nitpick, I'm very fond of these guys. Although I'm curious as to what about these guys makes them worth a +12 LA.

Danu
2006-12-31, 03:22 PM
Huh... You're right. I'd never noticed that before.

How strange. Thanks for pointing it out to me.

Beelzebub1111
2006-12-31, 03:27 PM

Or some of the wicked sweet magic items from BoVD like the Tounge Studs of Hellbreath.

Kevka Palazzo
2006-12-31, 04:09 PM
Oh. I don't actually have BoVD or BoED (le gasp!), so I didn't know about hellfire being in there.