PDA

View Full Version : [4e] XCOM Mission 1B: Operation Fallen Scepter

bst1
2013-10-04, 09:36 AM
Frantic shouting rings throughout the dormitory tunnels, rousing you from your sleep. A panting aide opens the door to your tiny cell and yells that you need to gear up and get to the briefing room immediately. Before you have a chance to react she's already running down the corridor. Other soldiers begin to peek out from their cells, milling about in confusion at what's going on.

Despite the general uproar you manage to make your way to the briefing room with little difficulty. Your dwarvish commanding officer Major Karlsson is there. Surprisingly, he is standing at attention off to the side rather than addressing you. Instead, a magical projection hangs in the air, broadcasting the image of several shadowy silhouettes. You realize that this can only be XCOM's fabled governing council, often spoken of in rumor but never before seen (even in outline) by rank and file XCOM operatives.

The center silhouette speaks, its voice and accent carefully neutral but distinctly male. "By now you have probably already surmised the gravity of the situation. Extradimensional entities of an unidentified nature have made a large-scale breach and are openly conducting attacks on our plane. So far they seem to be conducting small-scale raids in a limited geographical region, but from our preliminary analysis of these creatures' capabilities and motivations we have every reason to expect them to escalate in both scope and scale. We must try to do what we can to nip these attacks in the bud, before they can establish a foothold in this dimension."

"Ladies and gentlemen: this is what we've been training for. As the best operatives XCOM has at its disposal, you are our first and last line of defense. The fate of the entire world may rest in your hands. Good luck, and godspeed."

Major Karlsson steps forward and clears his throat as the image blinks out. "We have identified two primary hotspots of extradimensional activity in Whitehill and Hausenberg. Your mission is to seek out and eliminate any X-Ds in the target areas. Our initial attempts at communication have failed, and you may assume that any X-D entities you encounter are hostile--your orders are to engage on sight." He gestures to an aide, who hands out a small docket of papers to each group. "We have up-to-date maps of the target areas. Your drop zone is highlighted in blue. As per XCOM doctrine you will be deployed in small strike teams. Squad A will deploy in the Wyvern and will consist of Syrin, Dolien, Waifera, and Kaeravek; Squad B will take the Eagle and consist of Tharrok, Cinder, Khitan, and Akamenos."

The major stiffens. "We know that there have been doubts raised about the need and use for the XCOM initiative. Together we've built something bigger than any of us, though, and now it's time to show the world. Make us proud, lads." He dismisses you, turning to an aide to lead you to the hangars. The Skyrangers inside are a new prototype airship: small, sleek, and faster than anything in the skies, capable of deploying anywhere in the world within a matter of hours. Powered by pure air magic they float without needing an air-filled envelope, keeping their profile small and eliminating a crucial vulnerability.

You head with B Squad towards the newly-christened Eagle. The great hangar doors overhead open up and the Eagle rises from its subterranean berth, flying towards the island of Whitehill. Your target is the dingy mining town of Munstern; a plume of greasy brown smoke guides you in, although you cannot tell if the town is burning or if it's business as usual for the town's smelters and workshops. The crowded city is a tight fit for the Eagle, but that's exactly what the Skyrangers were built for. You fly in low over the rooftops and settle down in an abandoned lot.

The ordinary bustle of the city is replaced with cries of panic and alarm. The sounds of terror and desperation echo through the closed-in streets. Combined with the orange glow of the early morning sun through the smog, the effect is singularly hellish.

http://i.imgur.com/6ezBBka.jpg

Please include your character name at the top of each of your posts. You've landed in the blue drop zone. Post your marching order and formation and decide where you're heading first.

(Grey_wolf_c, I met you halfway :smalltongue:)

Grey_Wolf_c
2013-10-04, 09:53 AM
Cinder Ashborn (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=668675), Pixie Harrier

Cinder jumps off the back of the eagle, but her fall stops a few feet short of the ground as her own tiny wings start buzzing. With a slight shake of her hand, she pulls out the thin sword from the scabbard. Without a word, she moves northwest to the stone house at the crossroad, and peeks out the side, making sure to keep her movements fast, and unpredictable.

Fly (height 1) to the west corner of the stone house north-west of deployment area (assuming I can make it there in one move), keeping cover (and indeed, will roll stealth), so I can get a clear view of the street going north, and hopefully a bit of the street going East-West beyond the house.

How tall are the buildings?

Dreamwolf
2013-10-04, 10:15 AM
Tharrok grimaces at the thought of the destruction being wreaked on Hausenberg by these extradimensional creatures, then he straightens up, determined to help put an end to it. He climbs aboard the Eagle, despite his usual sense of disquiet at being away from solid ground, and uses the ride time to focus his mind and shut out all of the noise and chaos of the early morning muster.

Upon arrival, the dwarf leaps down from the Eagle and begins to head toward the sounds of fear. He quickly recognizes that Cinder is moving to scout, so he holds his position and awaits her signal.

Draw axe and shield, wait in the NW edge of the blue square.

bst1
2013-10-04, 10:22 AM
The two main streets are clear as far as you can see. The buildings around you vary in height; the larger ones are mostly three stories tall, although the smaller individual houses such as the one you're taking cover behind seem to be no more than two stories. A few are little more than one-story shacks, like the one at the back of the lot.

You're not in combat yet, so don't worry about posting individual moves. I'm more interested in where the group is headed, so general instructions are fine until you make contact. It's assumed that outside of combat your group is taking relevant precautions, so don't worry about any "gotcha!" moments because you didn't stipulate your every move.

Grey_Wolf_c
2013-10-04, 10:50 AM
Cinder Ashborn (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=668675), Pixie Harrier

Relaxing now that the enemies aren't about to jump down on them, cinder signals 'all clear' to the rest of the team. Then, she flies back, and addresses them all, "No enemy presence. Ah suggest we move west from here, and check out from the south that knot of houses between the roads for X-Ds. We'll likely be outnumbered, so sticking to close quarters is probably not as bad as walking openly down the streets, although both carry risks."

Her voice is rather deeper than one would expect for a pixie, but still in the high octaves. It is clear, but doesn't carry very far.

Sorry, force of habit. First thing I do in XCOM is dive for cover :smallbiggrin:
I assume there are windows in these houses? What are they made out of (I don't expect glass in a poor neighborhood)? This is in consideration of flying into them, of course. Also, are roofs flat or sloped?

Azktor
2013-10-04, 02:59 PM
Khitan Godspeaker (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=669922)

Khitan leaves the Eagle calmly, he then observes while Cinder checks the area. While he waits he makes a silent prayer asking for the safety of his Team and that they are able to stop the X-Ds before it is to late.

Khitan takes another look in the map and says to Cinder and the others "I agree, it seems to be the safest route!" he then gets ready for action and hold his staff in his hand.

Draw his staff and waits close by Tharrok.

((Btw, is night time when we arrive at the city? Should I get an Everburning Torch ready in my off-hand or not? I think we should not draw too much attention, but if necessary...))

Hircine
2013-10-05, 01:32 PM
Akamenos - [Munstern]

Akamenos disembarks from the Eagle with a look of disdain stretching across his face. The putrid aroma hanging in the air and the constant screaming of Munstern's citizens annoy him to no end.

Why must I the esteemed inventor and researcher Akamenos dirty my hands with this plebeian grunt work. Although I suppose every great tinkerer has to get out into the field at some point.

Taking his place at the rear of the group, Akamenos looks up expectantly to the rest of the squad. "Well, are we going to look for these X-D's or just stand around discussing strategy? Personally I'd prefer the former.", he states matter of frankly as he unfastens the repeating crossbow strapped to his back.

Grey_Wolf_c
2013-10-05, 01:42 PM

With a brief nod, Cinder takes off again. First, to the corner, for a quick check for no movement along the road. Then, moving erratically but fast, across the road to the narrow alleyway between the houses on the other side of the street. Checking the courtyard beyond, she signals the 'all clear' to the group.

Once the group has joined her on the other side of the street, once again mostly out of sight, she rushes ahead once more across the courtyard to the large building in the south edge of the city. A quick peek through the ground windows, then propels herself upwards to the last floor and goes inside, quickly moving from window to window to get a high level picture of the city. Particularly, she hopes to detect some movement that indicates where the enemies are.

bst1, obviously if any enemies are spotted before the end of this extended move, let me know and I will adjust. I presume that the large building in the south edge is not just larger, but taller than the rest, and thus will provide a good outlook point. But if it isn't taller than the building around, she will go onto the roof instead.

Dreamwolf
2013-10-05, 04:15 PM
Ignoring the sour note in the artificer's voice, Tharrok follows behind the pixie, trying to stay close enough to haul her out of trouble should it appear, but far enough to avoid ruining her attempts to be stealthy.

Azktor
2013-10-05, 05:10 PM

Khitan follow from behind, alert to any sound and movement. Being sneaky is not one of the Khitan's qualities, but he tries as hard as he can to not make so much noise while he walk.

bst1
2013-10-07, 11:14 AM
The courtyard in the middle of the block of houses appears to have been used as a midden, but although unpleasant it seems secure. The large building to the west appears to be a warehouse and is not especially tall; fortunately, neither are most of the houses in this district and from its roof Cinder is able to get a decent view of the immediately surrounding blocks. She spots two civilians fleeing down the street to the west, but they dart into an alley and disappear into the block of slums. Her keen eyes also catch furtive movement in the square at the end of the street to the north. At this distance the early morning murk makes it impossible to tell what's going on, although she catches faint glimpses of an eerie flickering glow.

Grey_Wolf_c
2013-10-07, 11:24 AM

Cinder catches the eye of the team across the courtyard, and signals: "2, non-combat, West; 1?, foe?, North". Then, judging carefully the distance to the stone building to the North, she launches herself into the air, flutters across the gap, and lands on the roof of the street-facing building. She then waits, on the south edge, for the rest of the team. She stays out of sight, but does slowly move northward for a better look at the glow.

Dreamwolf
2013-10-07, 03:37 PM
Tharrok carefully watches the gestures made by their airborne scout. He grimly nods at the mention of civilians, realizing that part of their task must be to help those in need, but pays more attention to the possibility of enemies ahead. He nods, then stays close to the buildings on the eastern side of the street as he makes his way north, toward the are indicated by Cinder.

bst1
2013-10-07, 04:18 PM
Tharrok stops as he rounds the corner and looks down the street to the north. The centerpiece of the small square where the street ends is a small, forlorn fountain, and the dwarf's keen vision picks out a shriveled creature skulking about around the fountain at the same time Cinder spots it from her perch on the rooftop to his south. The creature appears to be investigating several bodies laying in the square, and enters and leaves your view several times as it goes about whatever it's working on; at one point another similar creature comes briefly into view.

At this distance they are too far away to have noticed you spying on them, but you're going to need to find a way to get closer if you want to get a better look on them.

http://i.imgur.com/BTRrhdi.jpg

Cinder: The large building in the block to the north is taller than any of the surrounding houses by a good margin and will obscure your view from the south; it does, however, have a number of accessible windows on the top floor. The pair of buildings that Tharrok is hiding behind are also noticeably taller and you should be able to get a reasonable view of the square from on top of them.

Grey_Wolf_c
2013-10-07, 04:42 PM

Cinder signals "you, sentry" to Tharrok before carefully moving back and dropping to the ground in the south side of the building. Moving quickly, she informs the others of the situation, and then flies back up the building to check with Tharrok that the enemy is still mostly accounted for.

With a slightly worried look, she eyes the distance across the street as she moves westward, looking for a place to jump across without being seen.

How wide are the streets, in squares?

(Cinder can only fly this high above the streets if she ends her movement at the next building; otherwise, she will fall. I am not entirely certain if I can chain two flying movements, but I would say no.)

bst1
2013-10-07, 04:47 PM
Whoops, forgot that the grid doesn't show up on the zoomed out map. The roads are 5 spaces across, so you can hop across easily enough.

Grey_Wolf_c
2013-10-07, 04:58 PM

From the West corner of the building, Cinder flies across the street, wings beating furiously as she barely manages to save the gap. Cinder drops to her legs as she walks across this building, giving the wings a rest. As she reaches the north edge, she looks back one last time at Tharrok, but can't think of a sign that could communicate to a dwarf a complex pixie attack pattern. She instead signals "stay out of sight, go north", and then flies across the short gap to the window in the top floor across the small gap, dropping completely out of sight.

I'd be happy with taking 10 in stealth outside combat, rather than keep rolling in every post. Besides, I can't even guess at what kind of modifiers I'd get for being three floors up, and 7 inches tall. If you are fine with this, "Passive Stealth" is 21.

Dreamwolf
2013-10-07, 09:03 PM
Realizing there's not way for him to stay out of sight of the unknown creatures if he walks up the street, Tharrok quickly goes over his options. Hoping the Pixie is wise enough to wait, he loops around the buildings between himself and the square, tracking east, then going north up the parallel street and coming back west one block further north. He scans the building where he last saw Cinder, hoping she sees where he is.

bst1
2013-10-08, 10:32 AM
Cinder and Tharrok creep up on the occupied square, although Tharrok loses track of the pixie inside the building to his west. There seem to be half a dozen of the creatures, squat humanoids with large round heads and protruding eyes. They are armed variously with small crossbows and a few spears, all of curious construction in some unidentifiable material. A few of them look somewhat tougher and wear odd armor-like apparatus, but despite their armament the group does not strike you as particularly dangerous. They are currently busy studying a number of unconscious forms scattered about the square.

The prone bodies seem to be connected somehow to a large, alien device of black smooth stone-like material that seems to have crashed into the ground near the fountain. Strange glowing patterns traverse the surface of the stone, which seems to be the source of the glow that Cinder noticed earlier. Whatever the aliens are doing, it has their full attention; not even Tharrok's approach catches their notice.

Khitan and Akamenos cautiously take the rear, trailing behind Tharrok several paces.

Ok, there is a battlemap (https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1BOKUUc0JkRFXXBkCUvOejpU6RLUYa6ZQbqraijdOwWo/edit) up showing the current positions of all monsters and enemies (note that most of the party is at the south edge and you'll have to scroll down). Everyone can feel free to reposition themselves in any of the alleys out of the aliens' sight; you don't really need to roll stealth unless you're doing something more risky than moving around behind walls. Once you're ready you can feel free to roll initiative and post actions for a surprise round, unless you decide to back out and take a different route altogether.

Cinder, the room you are in on the 3rd floor does have a window to the east, so you can make visual contact with the rest of the group.

Grey_Wolf_c
2013-10-08, 10:54 AM
A few questions:
- How many windows are there in the floor I'm in, and how are they arranged (I'm fine with a description of the style "they are one square across, four windows, every third square from the right")
- I just realised that "third floor" means different things depending on who is speaking. I mean the third level of the building (ground floor, second floor, third floor) - agreed?
- I'm assuming each floor is two squares tall, which means Cinder is currently four squares or six squares above ground - correct? (important in case I need to jump out the window, and to know how far up enemies would have to climb).

bst1
2013-10-09, 09:25 AM
Drew some windows for you. The floor you're on consists of a series of small garret apartments, so you're not in one large room; I don't feel like drawing out the entire layout in detail, but for simplicity's sake you can move to an adjacent window within 1 move action.

There are 2 floors below you and they're each about 10 feet tall, so there are 4 spaces between you and the ground. You're in the attic and much of the floor has less than 5 feet of overhead clearance, but this is no concern to Cinder.

Dreamwolf
2013-10-10, 10:29 AM
Tharrok eases back from the corner of the building to allow one of his team members to get a clear shot at the enemy. As soon as that shot is taken, the dwarf moves his way out into the street, standing out in the open and hoping to draw the attention of the strange creatures.
Initiative [roll0]
Before the surprise round, move 1 square to the east.
Once the surprise round begins, if necessary Tharrok will delay until after Khitan or Akemenos make a ranged attack, then he will move to the central square of the street, even with current position of Cinder.
Note: if he is attacked, hit or miss, he will activate his Battle Resilience power, which is a free action triggered by being hit or missed by an attack, and gives him resist all 6 until the end of my next turn.

Grey_Wolf_c
2013-10-10, 11:10 AM

Catching the movement of her allies in her peripheral vision, Cinder waits until they are in position for the ambush, then starts the fight by pointing her arm directly at one of the armoured beings, and unleashing a stream of small dart-like splinters. Caught unawares, the creature's first knowledge of the attack is as the splinters find their way through the armor's chinks and into the soft flesh beneath.

(I have CA due to the enemy not having acted yet)
Surprise Action: Sly Flourish @ Arm1 (I labeled the map) vs AC
[roll0]
[roll1] (inc. 2d6 from sneak attack)

Cinder no longer concealed, but should have at last partial cover, if not full.

Azktor
2013-10-10, 07:22 PM

Khitan changes places with Tharrok quickly before the Attack begin.
Before the Surprise round begin I will occupy the Square Tharrok was on. So I can Make a Ranged Attack.

Clarification, from where I am can I attack the 2 south enemies (my power allow to attack 2 enemies) with a Ranged 10 Power? If so I will do it then.

Grey_Wolf_c
2013-10-10, 07:28 PM
Clarification, from where I am can I attack the 2 south enemies (my power allow to attack 2 enemies) with a Ranged 10 Power? If so I will do it then.
You can attack, no problem. You have unblocked LoS, and they are 7 and 9 squares away. Go ahead and roll your attack, IMnpHO

Azktor
2013-10-10, 07:40 PM

Khitan focus his divine power in his hand in form of a sphere of light, he then quickly split the sphere into 2 smaller spheres and throw then at the enemies closest to him.

Standard Action: Hand of Radiance on the Arm-1 and XD-1.
Attack vs Reflex Arm-1 [roll0] and XD-1 [roll1] (+2 from CA they are grating)
Radiant Damage [roll2]
Do we have a Tracker spread sheet or something similar?

Grey_Wolf_c
2013-10-10, 08:14 PM
Do we have a Tracker spread sheet or something similar?

Surrealistik gave us this one. (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AjKjYySklKeTdFI0UVZmSVBzZkxnazNrV2R3UFl2a lE#gid=2) I've filled out my bits, and changed the names of some of the pages to your characters' names, but can't do all

bst1
2013-10-11, 02:10 PM
The closer of the two armored aliens staggers under Cinder's vicious assault (20 damage and is bloodied). As Tharrok advances Khitan follows up with a barrage of brilliant bolts, narrowly missing the wounded creature but obliterating its companion.

Cinder's target wastes no time in retaliating. Taking careful aim, it manages to thread the needle of the open window; its bolt grazes the pixie's leg, but even a grazing shot does significant hurt to the pixie's insignificant frame (8 damage to Cinder, 17/25). It then darts forward into the alleyway to take cover.

The other armored alien follows suit, huddling behind the stone hut on the square. It opens fire on Tharrok, its bolt finding a chink in the dwarf's armor and piercing his skin (10 damage to Tharrok, 23/33 HP. Tharrok activates Battle Resilience and has resist 6 to all damage until the end of his next turn.)

One of the lesser naked creatures takes heart by this example and lets fly its own bolt, catching the dwarf squarely in his face. The stout dwarf is little moved by his wound, however, and shrugs off the bulk of the damage through sheer willpower (1 damage to Tharrok, 22/33 HP.) Seeing that its best shot is so ineffectual, the creature runs to cower behind the monolith in the middle of the square.

Monster Group #1: 20
Cinder: 19
Khitan: 17
Akamenos: 16
Monster Group #2: 6
Tharrok: 4

Cinder, Khitan, and Akamenos can all post actions. Map (https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1BOKUUc0JkRFXXBkCUvOejpU6RLUYa6ZQbqraijdOwWo/edit)

For reference, the small stone building is 1 story tall and has a relatively low angled roof; targets behind it have total cover from Cinder.

Grey_Wolf_c
2013-10-11, 02:28 PM

"Oh no, you don't" mutters Cinder under her breath, as her enemy attempts to run for cover. Her uninjured leg propels her into the air, and she zigzags through the garret looking for a new window. She flies low so that the enemy doesn't see her coming, and as soon as she spies him, she sends another round of splinters, before zooming past the window into cover. Unfortunately, her haste to get into cover means her splinters fly high over the creature's head.

Move: to right side of window overlooking Arm1 & hide
[roll0] (if result >= to Arm1 Passive Perception, he grants CA to Cinder)

Standard: Gloaming Cut @Arm 1
[roll1] (add 2 if I have CA)
[roll2]
[roll3] (only if I have CA)
Effect: shift two spaces left, and hide:
[roll4]

HP 17/25 Bloodied 12 Healing Surge 6 (0 used /7)
AC 16 Fort 12 Reflex 17 Will 14
Full cover (wall, high position)
Cinder is invisible to enemies that don't beat her last stealth check

Azktor
2013-10-11, 05:05 PM

When Khitan sees his teammate - Tharrok - taking damage he uses his Hospitalers powers to make him feel a little better.

Khitan then moves close to the dwarfs and counter attack, creating 3 small spheres of light and throwing at the enemies, at the same time saying "Stay together and we will prevail!"

Trigger Action: I will trigger Shield Devotion on the Arm 2 attack over Tharrok, Tharrok will regain 4 HP and I will have a bonus of 2 on my next attack against the Arm 2.

Move Action: moving 5 squares
Standard Action: Hand of Radiance on the Arm-2, XD-2 and XD-4
Attack vs Reflex: Arm-2 [roll0] (+2 due to Shield Devotion); XD-2 [roll1]; XD-4 [roll2]
Radiant Damage [roll3]

bst1
2013-10-12, 09:49 AM
Cinder shadows the wounded alien and returns its fire, but the cluttered attic garret does her no favors; practically stumbling over furniture, her shots fly wild.

Khitan unleashes another barrage of light. The brilliant spheres skim close but do not quite touch their targets... until the creature behind the monolith chooses an inopportune moment to peek out from behind its cover, and takes a blast to its oversized head. It falls in a twisted ruin behind the stone. (XD 4 dies)

Monster Group #1: 20
Monster Group #2: 6

Hircine said (s)he has been sick and will try to post soon, so I'll give it a day or two. Map (https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1BOKUUc0JkRFXXBkCUvOejpU6RLUYa6ZQbqraijdOwWo/edit)

Hircine
2013-10-13, 06:49 AM
Akamenos - [Munstern]

Emerging from around a corner Akamenos takes up a position behind Tharrok. He's about to ask why the dwarf has stopped when he notices the X-D's engaging in battle against the squad.

It would appear that I got so wrapped up in my thoughts that didn't hear the sound of battle being joined. More importantly the fact X-D's even exist validates me and gives me purpose. In order to learn anything useful it would be best to capture as many live specimens as possible. Well enough chitchat time to join the action.

Leveling his crossbow at one of the smaller aliens, Akamenos looses a precisely aimed bolt. As the bolt leaves the chamber magical energy bursts from his implement onto Tharrok and Khiton's weapons, temporarily boosting their effectiveness.

Akamenos' Actions:
Move: Move to P16
Standard: Attack Xd2 with Magic weapon
Attack Roll: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1] CRIT:[13]
Effect: On hit Tharrok and Khiton receive +1 to attack rolls and +2 to damage
Non-lethal attack on kill

bst1
2013-10-14, 11:53 AM
With a burst of magic the bolt from Akamenos's crossbow slams into the closest alien's legs, demolishing its knee and sending it to the ground. It hits the pavement hard and does not stir.

The last of the unarmored creatures returns fire ineffectually, shooting straight past both Khitan and Akamenos. It then shrinks back behind the alien stone, taking what cover it can.

Armored Aliens: 20
Unarmored Alien: 6

It's just you, Tharrok. Map (https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1BOKUUc0JkRFXXBkCUvOejpU6RLUYa6ZQbqraijdOwWo/edit)

Dreamwolf
2013-10-14, 02:59 PM
Feeling the invigorating pulse of energy that surrounding him gives Tharrok a sense of peace that can only be found in battle. I regret, I can not stay back, he replies to Khiton. My place is as close to the enemy as I can get. Striding forward, the dwarf focuses his energy to drive a challenge into the mind of the armored creature that cowers before him.
Too far to get an attack in, so he'll go into lockdown mode.
Move Action: move five squares into the middle of the square.
2nd Move Action: move three more squares to stand next to Arm2
Minor Action: Battlemind's Demand on Arm2

bst1
2013-10-16, 11:46 AM
Realizing its hiding spot in the alley is not as secure as it had hoped, the wounded alien decides to do something about the troublesome deva who has taken out so many of its compatriots. Ducking out from behind its cover, it levels its spear and charges at Khitan, catching the invoker in the side. (9 damage, 19/28 HP.)

The other armored alien, entangled with Tharrok, returns the dwarf's psychic challenge with one of his own. The creature thrusts its spear hard into Tharrok's chest, its force blunted but not absorbed by his sturdy breastplate. It simultaneously thrusts with its mind, leaving Tharrok reeling with a momentary sensation of panic (11 damage, Tharrok is pushed 2 and marked, leaving him at 15/33 HP and bloodied.)

The door to the large inn to the east unexpectedly opens, and two tall, thin men step out. Both wear fine clothing and dark-colored spectacles, but although they appear to be human at first glance, both look somehow... wrong. More to the point, both are armed with crossbows of similar make to the aliens. They open fire on the group in the alley, wounding Khitan further (13 damage, 6/28 HP and bloodied) but failing to penetrate Akamenos's armor.

Enemy Group #1: 20
XD3: 6

Cinder, Khitan, and Akamenos can all take turns in any order. Map (https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1BOKUUc0JkRFXXBkCUvOejpU6RLUYa6ZQbqraijdOwWo/edit)

Tharrok is at 15 HP. I forgot about Khitan's Shield Devotion.

Grey_Wolf_c
2013-10-16, 12:15 PM

With the wounded alien too close to the wall for a good shot, Cinder looks at the newcomers. They are far, but thankfully not so far as to endanger her aim - and they seem blissfully unaware of her presence. With a small smile, she concentrates, and the thorns in her arm glisten as she suppurates a toxin. She raises her arm, and sends the dripping thorns towards one of them, before going back into cover and, for good measure, moving away from the window.

Standard: Gloaming Cut @Human1
[roll0] (vs. AC)
[roll1] (-4, due to not having DEX bonus)
If hit, use Strike from Shadows (the enemy is weakened until EomNT)
Effect: Shift 4 somewhere away from the window out of LoS, and Hide:
[roll2]

Move: to First window (see map). Note that enemies that can't beat the stealth roll won't know Cinder's position.
(If the stealth roll is not too good, I might reroll after this move, but if I do I'll obviously loose the "enemies don't even know my square" advantage)

Azktor
2013-10-16, 09:03 PM
I will wait to see what Hircine will do...I think Tharrok can heal himself with his racial/minor second wind and Khitan could really use some heal right now, but if he goes for Tharrok that is ok, I will attack and retreat, since 6 HP is really dangerous.

PS: don't forget that Devas got a +1 to all defenses against attack from bloodied creatures.

Hircine
2013-10-16, 11:12 PM
Akamenos - [Munstern]

A brief smile plays across the tiefling's lips as his projectile incapacitates one of the invaders. Though his usual cold frown returns as he see how the battle is unfolding. Taking a couple of steps to the right he loads a small green vial into his crossbow, which he launches at Khitan. The glass container shatters gently upon contact, spreading the goop across the deva's body, instantly healing some of his more serious wounds.

His attention then focuses on the armored alien bearing down on the deva and himself. Raising his crossbow he fires a bolt right at the alien's head. Upon contact the bolt begins secreting an acidic substance that corrodes the X-D's defenses.

Akamenos' Actions:
Minor: Use Healing Infusion: Curative Admixture on Khitan (he regains hit points equal to his surge value)
Move: move two places to the left
Standard: Attack Arm1 with Scouring weapon Intelligence vs AC
Damage: [roll1] CRIT: 21

bst1
2013-10-17, 01:30 PM
Akamenos's acidic bolt corrodes much more than the alien's defenses--its head and upper torso burst into a sizzling, melted ruin.

The windows on the bottom floor are shuttered, and may or may not be latched if you feel like trying (they generally follow the same pattern as the windows on the top floor.) However, there is a wide open door on the ground floor beneath Cinder's current position than Khitan should be able to reach.

Azktor
2013-10-17, 03:17 PM

Khitan was severely injured and getting panicked with the situatiation, when Akamenos trowns him a healing power, making him able control himself, Kithan thinks "My gods will not allow me to die like this..." He then creates another sphere of light and trown in the three of the four remanining enemies. When Khitan was about to realease the first attack he notice that that attack was going to miss - and that was a crucial attack - so he then quickly focus on the memory of his former self a Deva Ranger that he used to be to grant him a better accuracy on the first attack, hiting and killing the last of the non-armored alien. The last two attacks are a hit and a miss. And rushes inside the building to get some protection.

HP: 13/28
Standard Action: Hand of Radiance on the XD-3, Human-1 and Human-2.
Attack vs Reflex XD-3 [roll0] + 6 from Memory of a Lifetime total of: 18 (-5 from Superior Cover)
Attack vs Reflex Human-1 [roll1]
Attack vs Reflex Human-2 [roll2]
Radiant Damage: [roll3]
Move action: I will move 6 squares to go inside the building.

Azktor
2013-10-17, 03:20 PM
I will use the Racial power: Memory of a Thousand Lifetimes to increase the attack vs XD-3 by [roll0]

Grey_Wolf_c
2013-10-17, 03:39 PM

From the shadows, Cinder watches the light go past its target, a brief moment of happiness in the aliens face, followed by incredulity as the orb veers and hits him. The alien collapses. Cinder frowns, as she thought it prudent to take at least a few prisoners, but it can't be helped. "There will be other chances" she thinks, and to ensure at least a chance at capturing some of the others, she concentrates and the liquid covering her arms changes slightly, becoming clearer. Given the damage the full dose had inflicted, she hoped the watered down version would be enough to knock the target out.

All of Cinder's attacks are non-lethal from now on

bst1
2013-10-17, 03:40 PM
The combined assault from Cinder and Khitan badly maims the farther of the two seemingly human creatures. Green ooze emerges from its many wounds, misting with faint wisps of acrid smoke. The second one ducks under Khitan's brilliant bombardment, but a third prong of his attack decisively strikes down the last of the weaker, unarmored creatures.

Enemies: 20

The last of the slower group got wiped out, so Tharrok's up. Map (https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1BOKUUc0JkRFXXBkCUvOejpU6RLUYa6ZQbqraijdOwWo/edit?pli=1)

Dreamwolf
2013-10-17, 05:42 PM
Seeing that his allies are more than handling their end of things, Tharrok decides to press on with his focus on the armored enemy in front of him. He draws deep from his dwarven stubbornness to brush of the worst of his injuries, then steps up to his enemy. As he does, Tharrok's arms seem to harden and become more angular, and his hand appears to merge with the grip of his axe even as it swings down to slash at the alien creature.
Minor: Dwarven Resilience, using my SW to regain 8 hp.
Move: Step up to Arm2
Standard: 2 PP boost to Iron Fist
[roll0]
[roll1]

bst1
2013-10-18, 12:42 PM
Tharrok struggles in hand to hand combat with the armored alien, but his axe clangs against the stone building next to him. Fortunately his opponent has no better luck, as the next spear thrust is easily turned aside by his armor.

The fantastic luck Akamenos has been having betrays him, as the unwounded "human" fires off another bolt that slams the tiefling with convulsive force (14 critical damage, 18/32 HP.) The creature uses the opportunity to run into the alleyway for cover.

Its injured partner begins to convulse and wretch, and draws back to spew a glob of toxic phlegm at the doorway Khitan just ducked into. It hits the doorframe and explodes into a cloud of noxious fumes, choking Khitan and burning his eyes and lungs. The deva tries to resist the choking gas, taking strength from the pathetic sight of his merely mortal enemy, but in the end he succumbs (5 ongoing poison damage (save ends); there is now a cloud of concealing gas, any creature that enters or ends a turn within the cloud takes 5 poison damage.) With venomous drool trailing from its lips the creature makes a dash for the safety of the alien monolith, undeterred by the corpses of its comrades that also sought the cover of the stone.

All the enemies are down to the same initiative count, so everyone feel free to post actions. I don't think there's anything that would stop Khitan's ongoing damage before his turn, so I've gone ahead and deducted it (don't worry about adding any damage, just go ahead and roll your saving throw.) Map (https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1BOKUUc0JkRFXXBkCUvOejpU6RLUYa6ZQbqraijdOwWo/edit?pli=1).

Grey_Wolf_c
2013-10-18, 01:12 PM

In the top window, Cinder briefly thanks Sehanine that the enemies did not target her. Walls might turn aside their bolts, but gas is not easily hidden from. She points at the poisonous thing behind the well, and shoots a salvo of sleeping darts. The darts pepper the creature's neck and, seconds after, his eyes glaze and he collapses.

"You ain't the only one with fun toxins, pal!" Cinder screams in his direction before retreating into the house. Her wild challenge, however, prevents her from fully fading from the rest of the enemy's view.

Standard: Sly Flourish @ Human1 vs AC (non lethal)
[roll0]
[roll1]

Move: (see map: away from the window), and hide
[roll2] (I'm glad enemies probably won't have LoS)

Azktor
2013-10-19, 11:27 AM

Khitan tries to breath inside of the cloud and it only make things worst, he can not see anything besides the green cloud, he starts to get panicked with the situation. He moves out of the cloud and tries to recover from all the damage and poison he just suffered.

Move Action: will move 2 East so that I have 2 walls and no windows between me and the aliens.
Standard Action: I will use my Second Wind recovering 7 HP.
Saving Thrown: [roll0]

I'm sorry if this is kind of a coward movement, but 8 HP - 5/turn - if I fail this saving thrown - is getting really dangerous for Khitan. At least there is only 2 left...

bst1
2013-10-21, 11:12 AM
Once again cover proves futile against XCOM's onslaught, as Cinder's latest volley strikes down the wounded human-creature.

Still waiting on Akamenos and Tharrok. Map (https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1BOKUUc0JkRFXXBkCUvOejpU6RLUYa6ZQbqraijdOwWo/edit?pli=1)

Hircine
2013-10-22, 02:13 AM
Akamenos - [Munstern]

Akamenos' smile is replaced by a look of pure malice when he is struck by an attack from one of the more human looking aliens.

"You will pay most dearly for that, creature!", he growls through gritted teeth.

Taking a step forward he launches another restorative infusion at Khitan before setting his sights on the X-D that retreated into the alley. Raising his gauntleted hand to one of the aliens an arc of lightning shoots toward his enemy.

Akamenos Actions:
Move: Up 2 and left one
Minor: Use Healing Infusion on Khitan
Standard: Attack Human 2 with static shock (non-lethal) Intelligence vs. Reflex
Damage: [roll1]
Effect on Hit: -2 penalty on damage rolls

bst1
2013-10-23, 08:54 AM
Akamenos's luck appears to have run out. His arc of electricity dances around the humanlike creature without touching it.

Dreamwolf? It's been several days. Map (https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1BOKUUc0JkRFXXBkCUvOejpU6RLUYa6ZQbqraijdOwWo/edit?pli=1)

bst1
2013-10-24, 10:22 AM
Dreamwolf has not been active for almost a week, so I'm NPCing Tharrok for a turn. If Dreamwolf doesn't show up next round (s)he will be replaced.

Iron Fist vs. Armored: [roll0]

bst1
2013-10-24, 10:38 AM
Tharrok delivers a crushing blow to the alien in front of him, his pure willpower hardening himself with psionic determination. It tries to retaliate, but again its spear is blunted against his sturdy armor.

The other humanlike alien, realizing that its options for cover are limited, opts to make its own. It turns its vile spittle on Akamenos, dousing the cobblestones with noxious venom that quickly billows into a choking fog. The creature then darts forward and hides within the swirling vapors of its own poisonous cloud, apparently undeterred by the noxious fumes. Fortunately Akamenos manages to hold his breath and avoids the worst of the toxic smoke, although it is likely he would not be able to stand it much longer...

The fumes inside the nearby building dissipate, giving Khitan some breathing room in a very literal sense.

Full round for everybody again, you can post in any order. Remember that the "human" in the gas square has partial concealment. Map (https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1BOKUUc0JkRFXXBkCUvOejpU6RLUYa6ZQbqraijdOwWo/edit?pli=1)

Grey_Wolf_c
2013-10-24, 10:47 AM
bst1, how tall is the building north of Cinder's position?

Thanks,

GW

bst1
2013-10-24, 10:51 AM
The building that the alien is behind is 1 story (2 spaces) tall, with a relatively flat roof.

Grey_Wolf_c
2013-10-24, 11:14 AM

Cinder sees the poison cloud blossom in the courtyard outside, and decides to take a chance at going into the open. She flies out the window, across the street and onto the roof of the building across, shooting at the indistinct shape in the cloud, but missing, before retreating away from the edge to the relative protection of height.

Move: to either the edge of the roof, or one square in (whichever is enough to grant partial cover), and hide
[roll0]

Standard: Gloaming Cut
[roll1] vs AC. Add 2 from CA if hide roll is successful
[roll2]
[roll3]
Effect: move to the center of the roof, and hide
[roll4]

Azktor
2013-10-25, 03:21 PM

Khitan sees Akamenos being hit by the enemy, he then focus his divine powers to gain better aim against that enemy on his next attack. He then moves out of his cover - felling much better now. Khitan starts to channel Astral energy in his own body, making him into a beacon of divine terror.

Reaction - Personal: Preserver's Rebuke when the Human 1 Hited Akamenos, so I will get a +4 Attack Bonus on my next attack against Human 1.
Standard: Astral Terror - Close Burst 3 - on the Human 1
Attack vs Will [roll0] (just with +4 from Rebuke, did not place any penalty there, if any)
Psychic (non-lethal) Damage: [roll1], Also I push him 2 squares on hit, I will push him 2 square north so he is out of the cloud.
Also, when I use a Encounter/Daily power I can slide 1 ally 1 square, I will slide Akamenos out of the cloud - not sure if it will help, but just in case.

Grey_Wolf_c
2013-10-25, 04:01 PM
Unfortunately, the attack missed Akamenos, so I don't think you can use Preserver’s Rebuke.

On the upside, burst and blasts ignore concealment, so you probably hit regardless.

The ability to move allies around with each encounter, is that a class ability? Does it work with non-class powers? (I know it wasn't the case, just curious mind wants to know)

Azktor
2013-10-27, 09:47 PM
Sorry for the long wait to answer I'm traveling. The rebuke is off, you are right, it work only on hit.
And as long it is a DIVINE encounter/power the slide 1 should work if I use in my turn, so i'm not 100% sure about shield devotion, since I do not technaly use in MY turn...

bst1
2013-10-28, 02:50 PM
Having steeled himself against the bitter poison, Khitan strides out confidently into the square. With a divine word of command he sends the alien mockery reeling out of its protective cover, while simultaneously drawing Akamenos to safety. His actions are too late for Cinder, however, whose deadly quills disappear into the mist where the creature once stood.

Weekend's over, would like to get this moving again. Map (https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1BOKUUc0JkRFXXBkCUvOejpU6RLUYa6ZQbqraijdOwWo/edit?pli=1)

The invoker's class feature specifies "divine encounter attack power", so the Knight Hospitalier utility doesn't count.

Hircine
2013-10-29, 07:58 AM
Offering a curt nod of thanks to the deva, Akamenos moves around the poisonous cloud to regain line of sight on the elusive X-D. Upon reestablishing contact he raises his gauntlet again, sending another electric shock at the alien.

Akamenos Actions:
Move: Move
Standard: Attack Human 2 with static shock (non-lethal) Intelligence vs. Reflex
Effect on Hit: -2 penalty on damage rolls

bst1
2013-10-29, 02:41 PM
With sinuous speed the slender humanoid again sidesteps the electrical arc. It returns fire at Akamenos with a devastating shot into his center mass, slamming him hard into the stone wall behind him and filling his mouth with coppery blood (critical hit, 13 damage and bloodied.) The creature then dashes into the doorway recently vacated by Khitan.

Tharrok delivers another solid blow to the armored alien, although it stands firm. Mustering the last of its strength, it thrusts its spear at Tharrok, pouring all of its willpower into a vicious psychic assault. Here the battlemind has met his match; panicking from the mental onslaught, he flees the battlefield entirely, leaving his bloody foe triumphant.

The alien's triumph is brief. Another, unfamiliar dwarf boldly bursts through a nearby doorway. Raising a gauntleted hand high he calls down holy fire from on high, striking down the aberrant creature. All that remains is the wounded humanoid cowering inside.

It's been 2 weeks since we've heard from Dreamwolf. Tharrok is welcome to rejoin later, but for now I'm subbing in a more active replacement.

I'm guessing that the party can reasonably take out the single surviving enemy within a round, so everyone feel free to post actions--we're basically just waiting for someone to claim the kill. Map (https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1BOKUUc0JkRFXXBkCUvOejpU6RLUYa6ZQbqraijdOwWo/edit?pli=1)

Grey_Wolf_c
2013-10-29, 04:27 PM
Cinder will delay for now; please, if someone can set up a flank (ideally, diagonal bottom right, so I can attack from the window), I'll swoop in and backstab the thing

Deadline
2013-10-29, 04:45 PM
"And stay down ye foul beastie!" The armored dwarf spits on the corpse he just incinerated and hustles across the courtyard double-time to the injured Deva and Tiefling.

The dwarf tucks in against a wall and points his warhammer the Tiefling. A holy symbol of Moradin is emblazoned on its head. He mutters a quick prayer of healing and a flash of divine light swirls around Akamenos, stitching up his wounds. "Keep the pressure on lads, these nasties haven't got much left."

Dagrun uses his move action and sacrifices his standard action to move to just below Khitan. He uses his Minor Action for Healing Word on Akamenos.

Akamenos can spend a Healing Surge and heal an additional [roll0] Hitpoints

Grey_Wolf_c
2013-11-03, 11:12 AM

With no shot at the retreating alien, Cinder readies herself to jump into close combat; but decides to wait until the alien is distracted by an ally so she can swoop down on him unawares.

Azktor
2013-11-07, 12:39 PM

Khitan notice that Cinder was prepared for an attack on the last enemy, he think "That is a good opportunity to finish this!" Khitan moves to the window neaby him and rushes to it breaking the windom and flanking the enemy. Then he starts focusing his power to create a dreadfull blood illusion for the last alien.

Move: I will break the window bellow Dagrun and move into a flaking position nearby the Human 2
Standard: Vision Of Blood on the Human 2 (non-lethal) it is a Close Blast 3 - so no OA.
Attack vs Will [roll0]
Psychic Damage [roll1] if HIT also -1 to ALL defenses until the start of my next turn.

Grey_Wolf_c
2013-11-07, 12:56 PM

As Khitan moves in, Cinder scrambles on the shingles, then drops into a dive, aiming towards the exposed back of the creature that even now is reeling under Khitan's mental attack, priming him for Cinder's own stabs. Cinder takes to it with a vengenance, and the tiny punctures in his back and neck quickly accumulate, the green liquid oozing out mixing with Cinder's own poisons until the creature keels over, in a deep slumber.

Move: to flanking position

Standard: Dazing strike (non-lethal)
[roll0] (includes CA and +1 from the debuff)
[roll1] 24 and the target is dazed
[roll2]

Azktor
2013-11-07, 01:27 PM

As Khitan sees the last one fall to the blade of his small companion, he starts to breath calmly again and then he makes little prayer for his gods thanking for the victory. He looks to Cinder and whisper "Well done! That was a hard fighter, I'm happy that the gods are own our side of this..." Khitan then stop a second thinking "I wonder if those creature believe in the gods or in anything besides death and destruction...well, it no time for this!" and then end saying "What should we do next? Some of then are still alive..."

Grey_Wolf_c
2013-11-07, 01:40 PM

Cinder flutters over the prone body, looking at it rather curiously, now that she has the time. She looks up to Khitan when she talks. "Eh. Ya know how it is. Bigger they are, bigger the fall. Ah'm just sorry we lost one of us - and the rest of y'all ain't looking pretty, either. Mah own leg is stinging something fierce. Some magic would be mighty nice. But yes, Ah'm glad Sehanine didn't turn her face from us."

She swoops down to kick the creature a couple of times - the first to check for responsiveness, the second just for the sheer pleasure of it. "Ah say we tie 'em up and lock 'em in one of the houses. Maybe the small one across th'street. These can't be all there was to th'attack. Y'all have to give me a hand. Draggin' creatures ten times my size ain't my cuppa' tea."

If someone can spare me a healing, I'll use a surge to go back to full. If not, I'll still use just the one surge, but will be at 23/25

Deadline
2013-11-07, 05:29 PM
Dagrun

The stodgy old dwarf tromps up and tends to the remaining wounds of the brave warriors. "I couldn't help but hear that you seem intent on takin' some of these beasties alive. Just what do you intend to do with 'em, and where exactly did you come from?"

He looks back over his shoulder in the direction that the other dwarf ran away and adds, "And before I get too far into my questions, I want to thank you for protecting these people. I'm just sorry I couldn't have done more than I did. What exactly are these things?"

I'm assuming we are out of combat rounds at this point, given the fact that bst1 basically told us to describe how we took out the last X-D. If so, spend those surges. If not, Dagrun will toss his second use of Healing word your way so that you can heal a healing surge + [roll0]

Grey_Wolf_c
2013-11-07, 06:28 PM
Dagrun

The stodgy old dwarf tromps up and tends to the remaining wounds of the brave warriors. "I couldn't help but hear that you seem intent on takin' some of these beasties alive. Just what do you intend to do with 'em, and where exactly did you come from?"

He looks back over his shoulder in the direction that the other dwarf ran away and adds, "And before I get too far into my questions, I want to thank you for protecting these people. I'm just sorry I couldn't have done more than I did. What exactly are these things?"

"Eh, Ah just do what Ah'm told," says the pipping voice of Cinder. "Bosses want some live samples, so live it is." Then, as if suddenly remembering, Cinder pulls out a badge from under her armor. As she passes it over, it grows to human proportions. "We're with X-COM. Very hush-hush, can't say much 'bout it, but since you didn't loose your head in the fight, Ah believe we are allowed to tell you this much. And if the bosses take offense, well screw 'em. They ain't here bleeding, and you are. These things have been raising hell all across, and X-COM is supposed t'stop 'em. Haven't had much luck so far, but them things seem to be sticking around longer, so we finally have a chance to bring them down, and back home."

"As to what they are, no idea. M'job's to secure the city, not give lessons. They bleed when Ah poke them, they sleep when Ah poison them, that's all Ah care about. But if ya tag along, Ah'm sure the bosses can explain. Or some of them egg-heads, anyway."

Hircine
2013-11-07, 07:00 PM
Akamenos - [Munstern]

Ignoring the conversation that the other members of XCOM are having with the local, Akamenos moves between each unconscious X-D studying their features, weapons, armor, and anatomy. Once he's finished mentally cataloging information he stands up and strokes one of his horns, obviously deep in thought.

Rolls:
Arcana: [roll0]
Perception: [roll1]
Insight: [roll2]
History: [roll3]
Religion: [roll4]

Deadline
2013-11-12, 11:01 AM
Dagrun

The old dwarf eyes the badge with a mixture of curiosity and suspicion, "X-COM, eh? Can't say as I've heard of you, but if there's more of these beasties out there terrorizing good folk, then I'm interested in knowing more about them, so that I know more about how to stop them."

He squares his shoulders and says, "I'd like to speak to your bosses. Let's do a final sweep to make sure we got all the beasties from around here, then you can take me to your leader."

Inspectre
2014-01-15, 09:06 PM
As you are preparing to move onward with your new dwarf ally, a prickle runs down your spine. A moment later, a soft wind kicks up, whispering to you the words of a Sending magick. The message, as usual for such things, is short and to the point, but its contents are nonetheless chilling.

Return to base immediately. X-COM HQ is under heavy attack by an unknown number of X-Ds. Repeat, X-COM HQ under attack, return immediately.

Falling back to the Skyranger, you pause only long enough to gather up your unconscious prisoners before boarding the airship and departing. It was unpleasant to abandon your mission, but HQ would not employ such magic if you were not urgently needed to help fend off the attack. It's a several hours-long flight to get back to HQ, however . . . you just had to hope that you wouldn't arrive too late.

Link to the new IC thread. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=16799553#post16799553)