PDA

View Full Version : Help w/ Half-Celestial Glaivelock

Mercy 0f Spades
2013-10-04, 10:30 AM
Howdy guys!

Long time lurker, first time poster. Need some advice from the community.

I've been doing nothing but DMing for the last 15 or so years. Recently, I had a PC decide she wanted to give DMing a try and started a campaign using me as a sounding board for her ideas.

Well... she's gone a little crazy and has made up her mind that she wants to run an High to Epic level campaign. I tried to dissuade her but she's made up her n00b DM mind. So I said screw it; let's do this. I had been running a pretty awesome Assassin (w/ telepath dwarven cohort) up until that point but asked her if I could retire that character for something more fitting for a High to Epic level campaign. She said sure.

I'm at the point now that I just want to do something off the wall and be awesome. Her campaign is heavy in back story and her DM style is severely lacking in dungeon crawls. With that said I'd like to play an unmerciful avenging angel of justice and death. My motivation is to judge angels (who didn't make the cut), demons/devils (just because I can), and any poor sod of a mortal that gets in my way. Sounds like fun, right? So I wanted to use a Glaivelock w/ PrC Hellfire Warlock. I'm snatching up some fun feats like Spirit Sense and using one liners about claiming/eating/sending their souls before I kill any NPCs. And I'm planning on spamming the invocation Flee the Scene (aerial combat plus teleporting with an after image effect just sounds fun) and The Dead Walk (you know, sending their souls to Pit but claiming their undead body as an "act of penance"). Honestly, I just want to be an overzealous holy terror to everyone I meet.

So all of this was to ask- how can I make this guy even scarier? Are their classes that you'd recommend I should splash in? Feats that might not be the greatest but will add to this persona? Any magic items that I should consider buying? At this point I just want to break the game. lol

Oh yeah, she's allowing me start at level 13. Sounds like a good level to begin the judgement of the world.

Socratov
2013-10-04, 11:50 AM
Well, first I'd like to congratualte you on your choice of awesome class. With that out of the way I first present you with the handbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=265455)

Second, I'd forgo the use of glaive, and use Eldritch Claws, they are nastier, do more damage, and give great flavor. Third I'd recomment Beguiling Influence: more social skills to work with. Third, I'd get at least 12 levels in vanilla warlock, and add (on top of binder 1 and HFW 3) chameleon 2 to your list. Now you are not only a great glass cannon dps, socializer but also crafter, interacts great with the second level of HFW.

Fax Celestis
2013-10-04, 12:10 PM
Depending on your party's feelings about third-party material, you should look at Sword and Sorcery's Anger of Angels: there's a lot of really cool angelic races in there and one of them might fit terrifically.

I'm looking through my other books, trying to find a particular one whose name escapes me: it contains several low-HD, low-LA archons, including the fist archon.

EDIT: AHA, I HAVE FOUND IT

Final Redoubt Press' Echoes of Heaven adventure path Bestiary.

Cloak Archon: 3 outsider HD, +3 LA, +4 saves v poison, darkvision 60', fast healing 1, low-light vision, resist fire 10, cold 10, electricity 10, tongues, at will detect evil, permanent bane effect vs infernal creatures, Str +2, Dex +8, Con +2, Int +4, Wis +2, Cha +4

Faith Archon: 3 outsider HD, +3 LA, +4 saves v poison, darkvision 60', fast healing 1, low-light vision, resist fire 10, cold 10, electricity 10, tongues, SLAs (At will—detect evil; 3/ day—bless (DC 13), bless water (DC 13), daze monster (DC 13), gentle repose (DC 16); 1/day—commune, remove curse (DC 15), restoration (DC 16), summon monster II (DC 14).), permanent bane effect vs infernal creatures, Str +6, Dex +2, Con +6, Int +4, Wis +4, Cha +4

Fist Archon: 3 outsider HD, +3 LA, +4 saves v poison, darkvision 60', fast healing 1, low-light vision, resist fire 10, cold 10, electricity 10, tongues, at will detect evil, permanent bane effect vs infernal creatures, Str +6, Dex +2, Con +6, Int +4, Wis +4, Cha +4

Sage Archon: 3 outsider HD, +3 LA, +4 saves v poison, darkvision 60', fast healing 1, low-light vision, resist fire 10, cold 10, electricity 10, tongues, SLAs (At will—detect evil; 3/day—fog cloud, heat metal (DC 14), light, ray of frost, sleep (DC 13), soften earth and stone 1/day—control winds (DC 17).), permanent bane effect vs infernal creatures, Str +2, Dex +6, Con +2, Int +4, Wis +4, Cha +4

Snowbluff
2013-10-04, 03:40 PM
Thanks for posting the handbook.

Half Celestial? Here is the savage progression (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040319a). Use the lesser Aasimar to save an LA.

Warlock8/Mindbender1/HellfireWarlock3/Half Celestial 1.
Power Attack, Combat Expertise, Imp Trip, Combat Reflexes, Mindsight, and Stand Still would do a nice job dealing damage and doing control with the Glaive.

Prep yourself for Epic levels by grabbing prerequisites for the Warlock Epic feats.

Socratov
2013-10-04, 04:43 PM
Thanks for posting the handbook.

Half Celestial? Here is the savage progression (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040319a). Use the lesser Aasimar to save an LA.

Warlock8/Mindbender1/HellfireWarlock3/Half Celestial 1.
Power Attack, Combat Expertise, Imp Trip, Combat Reflexes, Mindsight, and Stand Still would do a nice job dealing damage and doing control with the Glaive.

Prep yourself for Epic levels by grabbing prerequisites for the Warlock Epic feats.

any time darling :smallsuave: :smallbiggrin:

Anyway, that progression sure is great. I'd propose something like this:

Aasimar (LA Bought off) Warlock 9/Hellfire Warlock 1/Warlock 3/Chameleon 2/HFW 2/Half Celestial progression 3/(-> into epic)Warlock X

Now on what to take, read here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ei/20061027a) for warlock specific epic feats, pick one and get the prereqs while you level. You will heal yourself with a custom item giving you the abilty regeneration you need. you can craft this using your chameleon floating feat. Before that, use wands of (lesser?) vigor. As you finish your HFW, you can in story explore your heritage and level your half celestial side. At lvl 17 you start getting hte more interesting things anyway...

Snowbluff
2013-10-04, 05:01 PM
any time darling :smallsuave: :smallbiggrin:
:smallsuave: Awesome.

Anyway, that progression sure is great. I'd propose something like this:

Chameleon 2 would be a good dip, but I like having 2 Dark Invocations. Any reason why you are using the Aasimar with LA? The lesser version doesn't have an LA, and only costs the outsider type.

Socratov
2013-10-04, 05:42 PM
:smallsuave: Awesome.

Chameleon 2 would be a good dip, but I like having 2 Dark Invocations. Any reason why you are using the Aasimar with LA? The lesser version doesn't have an LA, and only costs the outsider type.

Well, 1 LA can be bought off, and if I'm not mistaken the article mentions Aasimar, not lesser Aasimar. Depends on what you can get away with though.

On the whole dark invocations thing, yes they are nice, yes you want them, however, if you really are going to venture into epic territory, Summon Monster IX is better, as is the resurrection, as is the ability to craft anything at will. Should push come to shove you can build yourself a staff/ring/wand of you dark invocation. And they will come when you neter epic levels. You could always ask for the Chameleon to grant increase in casterlevel for warlock instead of arcane aptitude.

Snowbluff
2013-10-04, 05:53 PM
Well, 1 LA can be bought off, and if I'm not mistaken the article mentions Aasimar, not lesser Aasimar. Depends on what you can get away with though. It doesn't make a specification. By RAW, there is no difference for qualification.

On the whole dark invocations thing, yes they are nice, yes you want them, however, if you really are going to venture into epic territory, Summon Monster IX is better, as is the resurrection, as is the ability to craft anything at will. Should push come to shove you can build yourself a staff/ring/wand of you dark invocation. And they will come when you neter epic levels. You could always ask for the Chameleon to grant increase in casterlevel for warlock instead of arcane aptitude.

Dark Invocations are valuable for Epic feats. Lord of Essences (Great for Glaivelocks) requires a Dark essence. Since you would pretty much eat your own Dark for that, having another for another Epic feat would be incredibly valuable.

You really only need 1 crafting feat, depending on how OP you want to be. Craft Staff would probably be best. If you are wanting to level warlock with Chameleon, I would say crafting custom Wondrous Items would be more likely. :smalltongue:

Speaking of which, I think we forgot Quicken SLA: EB.

Kuulvheysoon
2013-10-04, 06:03 PM
Actually, it's kind of funny that you're asking for this. You see not too long ago, on an apparently now-defunct competition, I submitted exactly that.

Zolis Sepret (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15874377&postcount=42)
(Note - the Challenge gave free LA, so I only had to give up one effective level, so she had 19HD. VoP is used, but it'd probably make the build stronger if you didn't use it.

I was actually pretty proud of her.

Snowbluff
2013-10-04, 06:18 PM
NIce one, Kuul.

Is there a note to use PA on people you are healing with Healing blast? :smalltongue:

Also, if you use DMM: Heighten with that build, you can qualify for epic spellcasting.

Socratov
2013-10-05, 05:26 AM
It doesn't make a specification. By RAW, there is no difference for qualification.
well, that's that then. I'd still check with the DM though

Dark Invocations are valuable for Epic feats. Lord of Essences (Great for Glaivelocks) requires a Dark essence. Since you would pretty much eat your own Dark for that, having another for another Epic feat would be incredibly valuable.
Well, once you go epic you can get all the dark invocations you want for your epic HD feats. Then again, it's mostly the half celestial HD that eat your invocation progression. I still think you can trade the Chameleon's arcane casting for invocation progression. My build also does not have binder for Naberius, and as such only loses the progression from the savage progression ending up (if you can get the chameleon progress your invocations that is) with lvl 17 ionvocations at lvl 20.

You really only need 1 crafting feat, depending on how OP you want to be. Craft Staff would probably be best. If you are wanting to level warlock with Chameleon, I would say crafting custom Wondrous Items would be more likely. :smalltongue:

Speaking of which, I think we forgot Quicken SLA: EB.
Well, sometimes you want a rod, sometimes a wondrous item, sometimes a staff. And let's not think about crafting for your party requiring arms and armour. It adds so much, as well as add a floating invocation (for fell flight until you get your half celestial wings).

Actually, it's kind of funny that you're asking for this. You see not too long ago, on an apparently now-defunct competition, I submitted exactly that.

Zolis Sepret (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15874377&postcount=42)
(Note - the Challenge gave free LA, so I only had to give up one effective level, so she had 19HD. VoP is used, but it'd probably make the build stronger if you didn't use it.

I was actually pretty proud of her.

Looks cool!

Mercy 0f Spades
2013-10-06, 12:45 PM
Great googlie-mooglie! You guys really came back with some answers! Sorry it took so long to respond; life just gets busy. Still, thanks for everything! I'll certainly use this!