PDA

View Full Version : What is Steam?

JeenLeen
2013-10-04, 10:37 AM
I feel like this is a stupid question, but what is Steam (the system by which some games are purchased online)?

There's a Kickstarter I'm interested in getting, but they provide digital copies of the game by Steam. I don't have a Steam account and would rather not get one. (Another Kickstarter simply gave me a link to a .exe file to download and install the game; I much prefer that method.)

So, what is Steam? Any major drawbacks? Do you have to be logged into Steam or online to play games you procure through Steam?

Edit/Note: I skimmed the Wikipedia article, but I hope some nice folk here could summarize it better and I'd appreciate opinions on how it works.

ObadiahtheSlim
2013-10-04, 10:46 AM
The only major drawback to steam is the DRM. You can only be logged into the account online on one machine at a time. Now that's not a problem if you don't share your account or save your credentials for off line mode.

On the plus side, it automatically patches your game (you can turn that feature off if you want), it gives you unlimited installs on unlimited machines. Steams built in overlay automatically launches when you launch a game (I think can be turned off). It also has cloud based saves on compatible games.

Then there is the social media part of it. However i'm not really into that part so I don't know what all is there.

TL;DR version. Steam is DRM, but worth the cost for the services it gives you.

BRC
2013-10-04, 10:52 AM
Unles you are very paranoid about giving anybody your information there is no real reason to not get steam.

Also if you're philosophically opposed to DRM of any sort you could not use Steam on principle, but steam DRM is fairly non-intrusive. I have never ran into any trouble with it. You don't need to enter/remember CD keys, and if you want to be offline you can set steam to offline mode easily enough (although sometimes I ran into a thing where I couldn't boot into offline mode without access to the internet, which was weird. However, once you did get internet and set it to offline, it would load into offline mode with no problems until you set it back to online more).

JeenLeen
2013-10-04, 10:52 AM
So, for this offline mode...

If I buy 3 games and install them on the computer, set Steam to offline mode on that same computer, could I then play the games on that computer indefinitely even without internet?
The downside being that I cannot use my Steam account on any other systems as long as it is in offline mode?

I think I can be okay with something like that. (I guess I'm an old-timer and prefer to really 'own' the game, either as a physical CD/DVD or at least a .exe on my computer.)

Grif
2013-10-04, 10:56 AM
So, for this offline mode...

If I buy 3 games and install them on the computer, set Steam to offline mode on that same computer, could I then play the games on that computer indefinitely even without internet?
The downside being that I cannot use my Steam account on any other systems as long as it is in offline mode?

I think I can be okay with something like that. (I guess I'm an old-timer and prefer to really 'own' the game, either as a physical CD/DVD or at least a .exe on my computer.)

Yes. In fact, so long your computer remains disconnected, you can theoretically run two or more copies of Steam with the same account credentials. (I done it many times.) Steam isn't anal about trying to go online the moment you plug the cord in as you don't have to worry about actually plugging your computer in to the internet. (As BRC noted however, the safest method is to go online, hit the offline mode from there, then only unplug. Booting straight up prompts a login screen if you have not saved your account credentials previously.)

Jonzac
2013-10-04, 11:02 AM
I do think that Steam asks for a "refresh" of your username and password every couple of weeks...so you have to "online" steam on each computer once or twice a month. You "online" steam and then immediately take it off.

I do have Steam on 4 computers...I have three offline, one online (although sometimes all 4 are offline) and we ahve AoEIII Lan fights at the house between my kids and I.

banthesun
2013-10-04, 11:33 AM
One important note about using steam offline is that you have to quit steam using the menu before offline mode will work. It's not generally an issue, but it does mean if your machine crashes frequently you'll need to go back online after each crash.

Forbiddenwar
2013-10-04, 11:38 AM
Just another note for Steam is that they regularly sell games pennies on the dollar. So without impulse control you may find yourself with hundreds of AAA games that you bought for $2.50 or less each.

GolemsVoice
2013-10-04, 01:39 PM
For ordinary games, especially games that aren't new anymore, but still not "classic", I found that buying them in real stores is often cheaper, however.

Apart from that, it's a good platform with some nice deals and a broad library of games. I never had any trouble with DRM, too.

JadedDM
2013-10-04, 03:38 PM
Another thing worth noting is that, because it is DRM, you cannot play games you bought on Steam without Steam. You can put it on offline mode, but cannot, say, delete Steam. (No Steam, no games.) Meaning that if Valve ever goes bankrupt, any games you purchased on Steam disappear with it.

Reverent-One
2013-10-04, 04:06 PM
Another thing worth noting is that, because it is DRM, you cannot play games you bought on Steam without Steam. You can put it on offline mode, but cannot, say, delete Steam. (No Steam, no games.) Meaning that if Valve ever goes bankrupt, any games you purchased on Steam disappear with it.

Though it should also be noted that the Valve has said measures are in place in the case of such an eventually occurs.

ObadiahtheSlim
2013-10-04, 04:28 PM
And considering they had a pretty good job of dumping WON without screwing over their customers back when Steam was just an infant, I think we can trust Valve.

AMX
2013-10-04, 04:37 PM
Another thing worth noting is that, because it is DRM, you cannot play games you bought on Steam without Steam.

Well, usually.
Some classic games can just be run directly, especially ones from the DOS era.

Forbiddenwar
2013-10-04, 04:41 PM

But this is true for nearly every single PC game. It's either Steam or another DRM system.

Or both.

Which leaves the question, who do you trust more? Valve or Ubisoft, or EA, or Microsoft.

Unless it's GOG, which makes me very glad we have a viable nonDRM alternative to Steam. If this is your concern, and the game is on GOG at a reasonable price (it usually is) then head over there instead.

JadedDM
2013-10-04, 05:15 PM
Though it should also be noted that the Valve has said measures are in place in the case of such an eventually occurs.

Right, so it's up to the individual to decide whether they'd keep their promise or not.

But this is true for nearly every single PC game. It's either Steam or another DRM system.

Or both.

Which leaves the question, who do you trust more? Valve or Ubisoft, or EA, or Microsoft.

Unless it's GOG, which makes me very glad we have a viable nonDRM alternative to Steam. If this is your concern, and the game is on GOG at a reasonable price (it usually is) then head over there instead.

True, if you want to compare Steam to Uplay, GWL or even gods forbid...Origin *shudders*, then Steam does come out on top.

Which is why for the past few years, admittedly, the only PC gaming I've been able to do is through GOG, purchasing directly from indies, or by just playing old games I already have. (Of course, I am extremely picky regarding having ownership of things I buy.)

But it's important to note I'm not saying Steam is the worst or that using Steam makes you a bad person or anything like that. I'm just pointing out that, while the risk of it shutting down and losing all of your games is small, it does still exist. Most people feel the rewards outweigh the risk, and that's a perfectly legitimate decision to make. But since the OP wanted the whole skinny on Steam, I felt obligated to at least mention it.

Gnoman
2013-10-04, 11:08 PM
I find that the risk of losing access to my steam library in the incredibly unlikely event that Valve goes out of business abruptly is far less than the incredibly high probability that I will lose the licence key for another downloaded software and thus lose the ability to install it.

Raimun
2013-10-05, 12:34 PM
Steam is water vapor. It used to be all the rage in the 1800s.

Grif
2013-10-05, 01:35 PM
I do think that Steam asks for a "refresh" of your username and password every couple of weeks...so you have to "online" steam on each computer once or twice a month. You "online" steam and then immediately take it off.

I do have Steam on 4 computers...I have three offline, one online (although sometimes all 4 are offline) and we ahve AoEIII Lan fights at the house between my kids and I.

Valve has said that this is not intended behaviour, and Steam is supposed to work indefinitely in offline mode. In other words, it's a bug they haven't quite squashed yet. Anecdotally though, offline mode now works almost flawlessly on my internet-less laptop for the last couple of years, so they probably fixed it up.