PDA

View Full Version : [3.5 template] All my friends are inside me. [PEACH]

qwertyu63
2013-10-04, 11:12 AM
-------------------------------------------------
Mind Break Template:

This template is used to represent a mind torn into parts. These parts have their own abilities, skill sets and personalities. They might even look different or have different tools at their disposal.

This template is really a template out of which you can build your own template. To build your own, you need to choose how many minds you want to have, the archetype of those minds, what special effects you want to have for them, and make any choices those special effects require.

Once you do, total up the LA of each effect to get the total LA of the template (if you finish with a fraction of a level, round up). You can add more effects to this template at any time, but you can never remove effects so choose wisely.

The phrase "core mind" refers to the mind that the character started with. "Extra mind" refers to any mind other than the core mind. The "overmind" refers to the mental space in the brain where all of the minds reside, which can take any appearance the mind's wish.

Once you have more than one mind, you can switch which mind is active as a move action. In a stressful or threatened situation, switching minds requires a DC 16 Will save.

The various minds can not communicate with each other directly (unless you have Mind Link), but can communicate indirectly by changing the world around them (writing letters or a diary is one major way). In addition, the minds can detect the basic needs, drives, and emotions (joy, fear, hunger, etc) of each other.

The various extra minds may be of different alignments then the core mind or each other. Effects that detect alignment detect the alignment of the active mind.
Mind Break Effects:

Extra mind: +1/6 LA
-You gain an extra mind. Select a mind archetype.
-Your core mind gets a +1 to all Will saves for each extra mind.
-This feature can be taken up to 6 times. Each time, you must select a different mind archetype.

Overactive imagination: +1/6 LA
-Select an item from the overactive imagination item list for each of your extra minds. This item appears on them when they switch in, equipped if possible. Items created in this way vanish when they switch out, or 1 round after leaving their possession. Items that have vanished while they are still active can be recreated as a full round action. The creation of these items is a psi-like ability.
-This feature can be taken up to 3 times.

Quick switch: +1/6 LA
-You can switch minds as an swift action.
-This feature may only be taken once.

Feat training: +1/6 LA
-Select a feat for each of your extra minds. Each feat must be a feat you qualify for while that mind is active. When that mind is active, they gain the effect of that feat. If you later actually take a feat you have chosen for one of your extra minds, you may replace the chosen feat with a new one. If you choose a metamagic feat for a mind that casts as a prepared caster, they may use the feat when preparing spells even if they aren't the active mind.

Mind-warped body: +1/6 LA
-Select an appearance for each of your extra minds. This must be an appearance you could take via Disguise Self. When that mind switches in, the body alters to look like that mind's appearance. This is an actual physical change rather than an illusion, but has no effect on actual abilities. This change lasts until a different mind switches in. This appearance change is a psi-like ability.

Ability bonus: +1/4 LA
-Select an ability score for each of your extra minds. The extra mind gets a +2 bonus to that ability score while it is active.

Enhanced minds: +1/4 LA
-Each of your minds gains an enhanced mind feature, chosen from the list for their archetype.
-This feature may be taken twice. The second time, you must take the other option.

Out of body experience: +1/4 LA
-Once per day per extra mind you have, one of your extra minds can have an out of body experience. When they do this, they are temporarily removed from the body and the overmind. A new body is temporarily created for them to walk in. This body looks like the original (with Mind-warped body applying if you have it), but does not have the stats of the original. Instead, this new body has the following stats (which are then modified by the effects this template gives that mind):
---Alignment matches mind, size and type match original body;
---Init: +0, 6 HP (1d6), AC 10 (T: 10, FF: 10);
---Spd: 30 ft., Fort +0, Ref +0, Will +0;
---BAB: +0, Atk: None;
---Listen +4, Spot +4;
---Str 11, Dex 11, Con 11, Int 11, Wis 11, Cha 11.
-The duration of this effect is 10 minutes or until the new body is killed, after which the mind returns to the original body and the new body vanishes. A mind that is currently out of body can spend one daily use of this ability to increase the remaining duration by 10 minutes. This is a psi-like ability.

Race touched: +1/3 LA
-Select a race for each of your extra minds. This race must have the same creature type as the core mind and an LA of +0. When that mind is active, they gain the effects of the chosen race and lose the effects of the core mind's race (If you choose the same race as the core mind, this has no effect).

Mental action: +1/3 LA
-Twice per day per extra mind you have, an inactive mind may use Far Hand or Mind Thrust as a psi-like ability (ML 1, save DC is Wis-based). Using this ability does not make them the active mind. Activating, concentrating on and using this power does not use up any actions of the active mind.

Mind link: +1/12 LA
-All of the minds can communicate mentally within your overmind.
-The core mind gets a bonus on all Listen checks and all Sense Motive checks equal to the number of extra minds you have.

Mind's eye: +1/12 LA
-All of the minds can see/hear what the body is seeing/hearing, even if they aren't active.
-The core mind gets a bonus on all Spot checks and all Search checks equal to the number of extra minds you have.

Mind vault: +1/12 LA
-Each extra mind gets a +2 bonus on all knowledge checks of a type listed in their archetype description and are treated as trained in that knowledge skill.
-The core mind gets a +4 bonus on all knowledge checks of the types listed with the archetype of any of their extra minds and is treated as trained in those knowledge skills.

Mind boost: +1/12 LA
-Four times per day per extra mind you have, one of your extra minds can perform a mind boost. Performing one of these boosts is a non-action, and grants a +1 bonus to the next roll that mind makes of a type based on the archetype of the mind performing the boost. This bonus may only apply once per roll.
Mind Archetypes:
These are the various archetypes that extra minds can have.

Arcane Mind:
-Casting as Wizard 1. Don't need to be the active mind to prepare spells. Spellbook is purely mental, and contains the following spells:
---Level 0: Acid Splash, Read Magic, Detect Magic, Dancing Lights, Light, Mage Hand, Prestidigitation, Resistance, Message, Ray of Frost.
---Level 1: Mage Armor, Alarm, Charm Person, Burning Hands, Magic Missile, Enlarge Person, Disguise Self, Silent Image, Expeditious Retreat, Summon Monster I, Lesser Dispel Magic.
-+4 bonus to Knowledge (Arcana) and Spellcraft.
-Treated as trained in Knowledge (Arcana).
-Proficiency with quarterstaffs. No armor.
Enhanced Mind: Scribe Scroll feat OR 1 more 1st level spell slot.
Mind Vault skill: Arcana
Mind Boost: +1 to spell damage roll.

Divine Mind:
-Casting as Cleric 1. Don't need to be the active mind to prepare spells, have no domains.
-+4 bonus to Knowledge (Religion) and Heal.
-Treated as trained in Knowledge (Religion).
-Proficiency with simple weapons and all armor (heavy, medium, and light) and shields.
Enhanced Mind: Turn undead as Cleric 1 OR Gain 1 domain and domain slot as cleric 1.
Mind Vault skill: Religion
Mind Boost: +1 to spell healing roll.

Combat Mind:
-+1 to attack and damage rolls.
-+6 hit points
-+2 to Fortitude saves.
-Proficiency with simple and martial weapons, all armor (heavy, medium, and light) and shields.
Enhanced Mind: +4 bonus to Intimidate and Climb OR +1 to attack rolls.
Mind Vault skill: Dungeoneering
Mind Boost: +1 to attack roll.

Stealth Mind:
-+4 bonus to Hide, Move Silently, Open Lock and Disable Device.
-Trapfinding.
-+1d6 sneak attack.
-+2 to Reflex saves.
-Proficiency with simple weapons, shortbows and light armor.
Enhanced Mind: Evasion OR +4 bonus to Disguise and Escape Artist.
Mind Vault skill: Local
Mind Boost: +1 to Hide/Move Silently skill check.

Wild Mind:
-Track feat.
-+4 bonus to Knowledge (Nature) and Survival.
-Treated as trained in Knowledge (Nature)
-Wild Empathy as Ranger 1
-Proficiency with simple and martial weapons, and light armor.
Enhanced Mind: Favored Enemy as Ranger 1 OR Endurance feat.
Mind Vault skill: Nature
Mind Boost: +1 to Survival/Knowledge (Nature) skill check.

Social Mind:
-Casting as Bard 1. Spells known are as follows:
---Level 0: Prestidigitation, Lullaby, Charm of Apathy, Detect Magic
-Bardic Music (countersong, fascinate and inspire courage) as Bard 1. Counts as having 4 ranks, even if the actual body doesn't.
-+4 bonus to Diplomacy, Bluff, Sense Motive and Perform.
-Proficiency with simple weapons, longswords and light armor.
Enhanced Mind: Bardic Knowledge as Bard 1 OR speak 2 languages.
Mind Vault skill: History
Mind Boost: +1 to Diplomacy/Bluff skill check.
Overactive imagination item list:
This is the list of items that you can select as an item for Overactive Imagination.

-Robes
-Leather Armor
-Chain Shirt
-Splint Mail
-Light Steel Shield
-Dagger
-Light Mace
-Quarterstaff
-Longsword
-Shortbow+quiver of 10 arrows
-Holy Symbol
-Spell component pouch
-Thieves’ tools
-Musical instrument, common
Homebrew spells used:
Dispel Magic, Lesser
Abjuration
Level: Sor/Wiz 1
This spell functions like dispel magic, except that the maximum caster level on your dispel check is reduced to +1 (instead of +10).

Charm of Apathy
Enchantment (Charm) [Mind-Affecting]
Level: Brd 0, Sor/Wiz 0
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: 10 ft.
Target: One humanoid creature
Duration: 1 minute
Saving Throw: Will negates
Spell Resistance: Yes

This charm makes a humanoid creature apathetic to you (treat the target’s attitude as indifferent). If the creature is currently being threatened or attacked by you or your allies, however, it receives a +5 bonus on its saving throw.

Now then, any comments, questions?

Hamste
2013-10-04, 04:40 PM
I would suggest doing something about the 1/6th LA thing. None of the other LA adds in a sixth so it would leave a weird fraction left over.

qwertyu63
2013-10-04, 04:46 PM
I would suggest doing something about the 1/6th LA thing. None of the other LA adds in a sixth so it would leave a weird fraction left over.

Actually, doing the math, 1/6+1/3+1/2=6/6 exactly.

1/3=2/6
1/2=3/6

Trust me, I've run the numbers.

Hamste
2013-10-04, 04:53 PM
Totally missed that bit of math...anyways love the template even if a few bits of it I would absolutely never use (I particulary like being able to choose which get to choose not to use)

qwertyu63
2013-10-05, 07:59 AM
Totally missed that bit of math...anyways love the template even if a few bits of it I would absolutely never use (I particulary like being able to choose which get to choose not to use)

That's the idea. You don't like a feature, don't get it. It doesn't cost anything to ignore a feature.

Arcanist
2013-10-05, 10:52 AM
Hmm... I like this. It's highly creative and highly flexible so to the point where you don't have to have people running around with the same template everyday. It can also let you play Ultimate Moon Knight if you're into that sort of thing (I'm into that sort of thing). Can we just make there be a penalty to the LA for the mindbreak to have an alignment different from yourself? :smallwink:

qwertyu63
2013-10-05, 11:07 AM
Hmm... I like this. It's highly creative and highly flexible so to the point where you don't have to have people running around with the same template everyday. It can also let you play Ultimate Moon Knight if you're into that sort of thing (I'm into that sort of thing).

That's the idea. You want 1 extra mind. Go ahead. You want a whole party in there, have at it. I had to look up who the Ultimate Moon Knight was, but you could do that too.

Can we just make there be a penalty to the LA for the mindbreak to have an alignment different from yourself? :smallwink:

Nothing is stopping you from having the mind be a different alignment as it is. In fact, I intended for that to be possible from the start. Thinking about it, I will go clear up the wording.