PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Fate/Stay Night Char

Kazehito
2013-10-04, 12:53 PM
Hello, don't know if this has already been done here, but haven't been able to find it if it has. I was wanting to build a Summoner based off of the Shirō Emiya/Saber characters. I'm currently just playing around with some builds to do it, but haven't settled on one yet, and was wanting opinions.

We're going to be playing the Shattered Star adventure path, with a 20 point build, at 1st level, following Pathfinder Society rules. Thanks in advance to any suggestions or help with this build.

nyarlathotep
2013-10-04, 01:32 PM
Would you be okay with having something less like Saber and more like Kali. If so good builds are easy to come by, but a weapon wielding two armed eidolon tends to be hard to come by and not looking human at all.

Kazehito
2013-10-04, 02:29 PM
Yeah I've seen some of the Kali builds, but I was trying to stay as close to Saber as possible.

Bovine Colonel
2013-10-04, 02:47 PM
Looking through http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/summoner/eidolons for some evolutions you could take that fit Saber in my opinion:

Improved Natural Armor
Magic Attacks (starting at level 10 it applies to weapons as well)
Reach (Weapon)
Skilled (Perception)
Slam (just once)
Ability Increase (a lot)
Alignment Smite
Tremorsense
Celestial Appearance
Damage Reduction
Sacrifice
Blindsight
Breath Weapon (or...something, I don't really think there's a good way to model Excalibur)
Fast Healing
Large (combine with Reduce Person)
Spell Resistance

Gemini476
2013-10-04, 04:41 PM
Hello, don't know if this has already been done here, but haven't been able to find it if it has. I was wanting to build a Summoner based off of the Shirō Emiya/Saber characters. I'm currently just playing around with some builds to do it, but haven't settled on one yet, and was wanting opinions.

We're going to be playing the Shattered Star adventure path, with a 20 point build, at 1st level, following Pathfinder Society rules. Thanks in advance to any suggestions or help with this build.

Saber and Shirou? Isn't the big thing with Saber that she cannot become incorporeal like the other Servants due to spoilers? That would interfere flavor-wise with the entire summoning, dismissing, and resummoning the Eidolon.
Also, Shirous big thing (beyond his insanity {or, well, yeah}) is Unlimited Blade Works. That would fit more into something like the Magus, I suspect. Or Wizard, although Shirou is kind of supposed to suck at non-Sword-related magic.

Actually, I'm not that sure that a direct translation of the characters would work from 1st level? I could probably write up a build from 7th level where Shirou is Sabers cohort, but yeah.

Now, if you just want a loose adaption... The big class features of the Saber class are magic resistance (near total in Saber's case) and, to a lesser degree, Ride. You probably don't need to worry about Ride. Sabers are also known for being stupidly overpowered, both in stats and Noble Phantasms.

What you want for your Saber-Eidolon, once you're finished: Two-Handing a(n invisible) Magic Sword (MWP, 4EP), near-total immunity to magic (only possible for elemental damage, 10EP), the Excaliblast (Spell Storing Lightning Bolt?), really high Charisma (19 base is the maximum, for 8EP) and good armor.
I'll just mention here that this Eidolon probably isn't going to be that good if you're aiming for all of that, since those abilities are already 22EP out of the base 26EP. Shirou should probably be a Half-Elf because Saber needs those 5EP.

Excalibur... Just going by the flavor of it, it's probably an Impervious Holy Ghost Touch Longsword. Possibly Spell Storing if you can get a spellcaster to stick Lightning Bolt in it, although that can't be used for ranged attacks as the Excaliblast can. I don't know how to emulate Invisible Air, although I'm sure there's some 3rd level wind spell you can stick in for the offensive version.

I suspect that no matter what you do it will not be particularly true to the characters, although that's more of a flaw in the system itself. I could totally build them in Mutants & Masterminds, for instance, Reality Marble and all.

</nasu>

Bovine Colonel
2013-10-04, 08:04 PM
What you want for your Saber-Eidolon, once you're finished: Two-Handing a(n invisible) Magic Sword (MWP, 4EP), near-total immunity to magic (only possible for elemental damage, 10EP), the Excaliblast (Spell Storing Lightning Bolt?), really high Charisma (19 base is the maximum, for 8EP) and good armor.
I'll just mention here that this Eidolon probably isn't going to be that good if you're aiming for all of that, since those abilities are already 22EP out of the base 26EP. Shirou should probably be a Half-Elf because Saber needs those 5EP.

Spell Resistance would probably be a much better idea than getting a whole bunch of energy immunities, since it protects against quite a lot more things for a lot cheaper; moreover, a feat would be much better for martial weapon proficiency than 4 evolution points.

Excalibur's blast...probably couldn't be properly modeled without lots of sorcerer levels or psionics or something. Unless you want a super nerfed one that moderately singes enemies instead of obliterating them - then I guess you could take the Ultimate Magic evolution for Fireball or Lightning Bolt or something.

ff7hero
2013-10-04, 09:07 PM
Having played Ilya starting from first level, I can tell you you're not going to achieve the power of a Fate/Stay Night right off the bat. Ability Increase (Str) and Reach for your great sword make excellent starting evolutions. Eidolons actually can't wear armor, but I unknowingly cheated my way through level one because the rule isn't presented in an obvious place (AFB and on my iPhone, else I'd quote it).

ETA: It's buried in the Armor Bonus ability description.

Gemini476
2013-10-04, 09:40 PM
Having played Ilya starting from first level, I can tell you you're not going to achieve the power of a Fate/Stay Night right off the bat. Ability Increase (Str) and Reach for your great sword make excellent starting evolutions. Eidolons actually can't wear armor, but I unknowingly cheated my way through level one because the rule isn't presented in an obvious place (AFB and on my iPhone, else I'd quote it).

ETA: It's buried in the Armor Bonus ability description.

...Which Ilyasviel are we talking about, here? Ilya+Berserkules, Prisma*Ilya, or Ilya+Einzbern Alchemy (see: Irisviel)?

Also, Shirou could totally work at level one. He only knows what, four spells? And most of them he's awful at. Projection, Alteration, Reinforcement, Structural Grasp.
The issue comes later once he inherits the "You Can Break One Rule, Choose Wisely" thing that Nasu characters have. Instant conjuration of any magical sword he has seen? Regeneration with built-in armor? Doing something like Genesis as an AoE spell centered on himself? Avalon, the Distant Utopia?

Yeah, D&D isn't really the best system for Nasu stuff. Especially not the Servants, although I suppose the same goes for every protagonist. Shiki Tohno? Can kill you with a single stab. Shiki Ryougi? Can kill absolutely everything ever. Aozaki? 4th Magic. Prisma*Ilya? Magical girl with dimension-hopping, starting at chapter 1.

I'm not entirely sure that you can reach the higher echelons of Nasu power in a conventional campaign, actually. They tend to be pretty haxx, although admittedly some of the more low-level characters might be possible to work with.
Just not Servants.
Never Servants.

ff7hero
2013-10-04, 09:59 PM
Ilya plus Berserker from the anime. I've played a small amount of the graphic novels, and am peripherally aware of most of Nasuverse, but the anime is my only real frame of reference for Fate/Stay Night. It's a pity Summoners don't get Magic Weapon, because it makes a great analog for Shiro's reinforcement...

Erth16
2013-10-04, 10:18 PM
^ How did Illya herself work in that?

I feel it should be pointed out that Saber also has a much weaker air blast that she used in Zero, so that could be done by making the weapon spellstoring. However there is still really no stand in for Excalibur.

ff7hero
2013-10-04, 10:45 PM
She was more an Ilya expy that Ilya herself. Gnome Summoner (with the Eidolon HP favored class bonus). Didn't get into high level play, so no interesting feats to differentiate from a vanilla summoner honestly.
RP'd as a bipolar little girl who would mood swing between collecting flowers to weave into her hair and ordering Beserker to slaughter the party's helpless goblin captive as soon as his ceased to be useful.