PDA

View Full Version : Baby boom

Ranting Fool
2013-10-04, 02:20 PM
A rather obscure question but does anyone know any guides/homebrew for non-human population growth (mostly Goblins but other races would be useful) since many of the races age differently gestation of young would also vary.

An example from wiki:

Cat (domestic) 58–67, Average 64 Days
Hippopotamus 225–250 Days
Mouse (domestic white) 19 Days
Whale (sperm) 480–590 Days
Human 266 Days
Baboon 187 Days

So I assume Goblins (And other small creatures) would have shorter times.

Nettlekid
2013-10-04, 02:22 PM
I believe the serious and ever-practical Book of Erotic Fantasy has gestation times for various creatures.

Ranting Fool
2013-10-04, 02:24 PM
I believe the serious and ever-practical Book of Erotic Fantasy has gestation times for various creatures.

Oddly enough I don't own a copy of that. :smallbiggrin: :smalltongue:

Lord Vukodlak
2013-10-04, 02:41 PM
A rather obscure question but does anyone know any guides/homebrew for non-human population growth (mostly Goblins but other races would be useful) since many of the races age differently gestation of young would also vary.

An example from wiki:

Cat (domestic) 58–67, Average 64 Days
Hippopotamus 225–250 Days
Mouse (domestic white) 19 Days
Whale (sperm) 480–590 Days
Human 266 Days
Baboon 187 Days

So I assume Goblins (And other small creatures) would have shorter times.

Races of the Wild gives us seven months for Haflings,

Fax Celestis
2013-10-04, 02:42 PM
Oddly enough I don't own a copy of that. :smallbiggrin: :smalltongue:

I do. It gets a lot of hate it really doesn't deserve for logically extrapolating magic and magic items into a realistic pattern. We, as a species, upon inventing something immediately ask ourselves three questions: "Can I eat it? Can I kill with it? Can I have sex with it?" BoEF takes an invention (magic) and attempts to answer the third question, whereas most other D&D books answer the first and second. Yes, sometimes it's squicky, and sometimes you're answering questions 2 and 3 at the same time (Imagist spell recovery mechanic, I'm looking at you), but really it's just a natural extension of what we would probably do if we had magic.

theIrkin
2013-10-04, 03:48 PM
BoEF does indeed have gestation times. It's weird though. I tried to read it through and just felt uncomfortable. My suggestion (if you use it) is to simply find the things you are interested in, and don't try and go too far down that rabbit hole.