PDA

View Full Version : Problems in the Boneyard IC

Pages : [1] 2 3

Chilingsworth
2013-10-04, 03:24 PM
Soon after you finish reading the message, you hear a knock on your door.

Mister Eril, sir? I'm here with your carriage.

DawnRaven
2013-10-04, 04:06 PM
Never realized Eril was a boy's name <.<. I'll just say that her parents wished she was a male!

Archon Eril, Head of the Order of the Ebon Thorn, Black Rose of Arnil, Scythe of Inautia's Devoted strides from her office, donning the black hooded cloak of her (recently self-created) office. The silver lining is pierced with silver-inlaid bones while the clasp at the front is a silver-plated finger-bone. Some claim the finger comes from the first person to point at her and call her an abomination. Others say it was the sewing finger of her beloved mother who sewed the cloak's first incarnation.

Whichever was true, the black-armored figure struck an imposing figure as she approached opened the door. Within the study, stood her sister Anya, The Steel Rose and Primate of the Ebon Thorn. Anya's pale, undead eyes kept constant vigilance for her sister's protection. The knocker would see a quick flash of darkness jet across the room to dissolve in Eril's own shadow. Perhaps it was just a bird flying by a window or perhaps not.

"Ah, rapid as usual for someone in the Matriarch's employ. Come, Anya. Let us see what mischief is afoot at the mill. It would not do to dawdle on something of this nature."

Chilingsworth
2013-10-04, 04:17 PM
When you open the door, a smallish, slightly frightened-looking man greets you.

This way, Mist... err... Madam

When you enter the carriage, you notice a small hooded figure waiting for you.

Good evening, Mistress Eril. I am Ferzid Dralo. I'll be your assistant on this investigation.

Other than his hooded cloak, the only notable object Ferzid seems to have is a satchel full of papers.

DawnRaven
2013-10-04, 04:48 PM
Eril nods her head to the skittish man and follows after. When she steps into the sunlight, her shadow splits into two before quickly re-forming into just one. She'll move into the carriage but has her sister ride alongside.

"Good Evening, Mister Dralo. I do hope you will help illuminate this issue. If someone has been delaying at the mills, then they will be dealt with harshly. If the entire work force there needs..additional motivation, then we shall provide that. That grain is the lifeblood of our people and, while death should be embraced, I will not have them subject to it earlier than destiny plans. Now, how much has production slowed and what, if anything, has been done about it already? "

Eril has a shadow companion which pretty much sticks inside her shadow most of the time. It likes to play with people though, so will play games like it has been so far.

Chilingsworth
2013-10-04, 05:04 PM
Ah, let's see...

Ferzid ruffles through his satchel of papers, finally pulling out a small stack.

Yes. Wanderdust's flour mill. In the last quarter, production has dropped twenty five percent. An investigative team was sent two weeks ago, but have failed to report since they were sent out.

That's all the information we have. Well, not quite...

He ruffles some more through his satchel, pulling out more papers.

Ah, Wanderdust's mill, run by Duran Wanderdust and his son Ernald. Located in the industrial area colloquially known as the Boneyard. They're responsible for some sixty percent of the capital's flour production. Their grain suppliers are primarily in the northeastern farmlands. Their primary labor supply comes from Binder&Binder Animators. We've had no trouble from them before this incident.

He returns his papers to the satchel.

DawnRaven
2013-10-04, 05:27 PM
Love all of that detail!

The Archon snorts, fingers tapping along the shaft of her scythe. Two weeks? Hm. Quite a fair bit of time. It'd be more suspicious if there was no production. No word has been received from the Wanderdust family? I assume not..perhaps there is trouble with labor acquisitions. Have we attempted to contact Binder & Binder at all?

Eril pauses, considering what was said. We should head to the Mill first, regardless. If we shall be working together, I would like to know what it is you can do, Mister Dralo.

Chilingsworth
2013-10-04, 05:31 PM
Thanks! :smallbiggrin: While I have a good idea of a plot, I'm making up a lot of the details on the fly.

Well, I'm a keeper of records, mostly. I can help abit with interrogations and evidence gathering, but mostly, I'm a note taker and information sorter.

DawnRaven
2013-10-04, 07:18 PM
Ah, good. You can take notes on our investigations for later use. I prefer to delegate such activities and my sister's handwriting leaves much to be desired.

Chilingsworth
2013-10-05, 02:04 AM
Ferzid nods.

Around this time, you enter the Boneyard.

You enter the Boneyard near sunset. In the fading light, you see workers scurrying for the change from day to night shifts. This rush hour traffic slows your carriage considerably. In addition to the workers, you can see carts drawn by tireless undead draft horses. Carts with especially heavy loads moving slowly under zombie power, the rest moving more quickly under skeletal power.

Even through the closed doors of the carriage, you can smell and hear this place. Smoke and clanging from foundries, tanning substances from leatherworks, blood and terrified bleats from slaughterhouses. And of course, the residual aroma and moaning of the undead.

With the day's last light, you arrive at Wanderdust's Mill.

DawnRaven
2013-10-05, 09:41 AM
Eril slips from the carriage and turns to Dralo. Come then, let us see where our lost investigators have gone to.

She waits just long enough for Dralo and her sister to join her before moving to the Mill. If the doors are not open, she will pound on them with a mailed fist.

Chilingsworth
2013-10-05, 09:56 AM
As he exits the carriage, you notice Dralo is indeed small, about three feet in height. He struggles to keep up with your determined pace.

You pound on the door hard enough that the building almost seems to shake.

After a minute or two, someone responds.

Okay, Okay, don't break the door down, I'm coming!

A moment or two later, you hear a bolt unlock and the door opens.

Before you stands an older man wearing work clothes, glasses, and an apron. He is lightly dusted with flour.

Now what's this racket in aid of?

DawnRaven
2013-10-05, 11:06 AM
Now what's this racket in aid of?

Good Evening, Sir. I am Archon Crowley of the Ebon Thorn. We have heard reports of your production decreasing and are here to investigate them.

Chilingsworth
2013-10-05, 01:34 PM
What? I already told the last bunch of auditors the problem, they made me fill out a boatload of paperwork, too! What else do you need to know about it?

DawnRaven
2013-10-05, 02:38 PM
You are Mr. Wanderdust then, I presume? Those auditors never made their full report. If you do not want to be suspected of purposefully participating in unlawful behavior I highly suggest we retire to your office to get a complete, verbal run-down of this problem given by yourself and any of your workers I request you bring in for interrogation.

Eril may not be overtly cruel, but she is blunt and to the point.

Chilingsworth
2013-10-05, 02:58 PM
Yes, I'm Duran Wanderdust.

Then the rest of your statement sinks in.

What?! Never made their report?

He sputters.

Yes, come in.

He lets you into the building.

The interior is well lit by continual flame lanterns (to reduce the risk of a flour explosion) for the night shift. You can hear the creaking of gears as skeleton driven turnstiles power the millstones grinding the wheat into flour. The machinery is on a lower floor however. This floor appears to consist of the owner's personal residence and offices.

Riche, keep an eye on the mill for me, will you?! I've got admin to deal with.

Someone, presumably Riche, answers in the affirmative.

The office to which he leads you is slightly larger than yours, though there is a fold-out bed that likely takes up most of that extra space when in use. It is at least as neat and well organized as yours, however. There is only one chair- a simple wooden affair- behind the desk.

Excuse me, I'll see what I can do for seats.

After a couple of trips, he's brought and placed three additional chairs, much like his own. He then sits behind his desk.

Now what's this about those auditors not making their report? That paperwork was quite tiresome to complete, I assure you! And that after the complaint I sent last month went unanswered!

DawnRaven
2013-10-05, 05:17 PM
Her brow furrows and Eril leans forward, tapping on the desk. Perhaps it is best to start at the beginning. What was the complaint you sent in? Additionally...please describe the 'auditors' that arrived, what sort of paperwork it was and anything they said that may have seemed unusual.

She'll look to Dralo and gesture to his paperwork. I assume we have records of who was sent?

Chilingsworth
2013-10-05, 05:46 PM
Duran nods.

Well, my complaint was regarding my motor suppliers, those Binder fellows.
The past couple-three months, we've been having trouble keeping our skellies in working order. We've sent them back to Binder's for refurbishing, but they haven't been doing the work in a timely fashion. It's gotten so we've had to close down two of our eight stones. If we didn't, our remaining skellies would keep wearing out even faster.

He pauses to collect his thoughts.

The auditors, they showed up a week or so after we had to scale back production. Let's see... one of them was an elven-blooded lass, her name was Kydra, I think. Her partner was a mage, by the name of Geyorn.

I don't remember anything unusual that they said, but I do have copies of the paperwork they made me fill out. That mage wiggled his fingers and made copies of them when I was done.

Let's see...

He opens a drawer and pulls out a stack of papers, separating different sets, naming them, and handing them to you in turn.

They made me file a second copy of my complaint to the Post-Humanoid Resources Bureau.

They served me with a fine for breach of supply contract, and made me file a receipt of the charge.

And... they made me fill out a protest of the fine, and request for appeal to a magistrate.

As you inspect the documents he hands you, they appear to be exactly what he claims, including the mark of the Resource Auditors' Service Mage #028.

Meanwhile, Dralo has found the dossiers of the dispatched agents, and hands them to you:

Sargent Kydra Renlin, a half-elf, and Mage #028, a human by the name of Geyorn Darktooth. Both are listed as being officers in good standing with the RAS. Both are listed as missing.

DawnRaven
2013-10-05, 07:57 PM
Ah, possibly just a misunderstanding, Mr. Wanderdust. I am sure my companion here would be happy to return and make a copy of these papers in short order. First, however, we must attend to a few other problems. Thank you kindly for your time and I do hope the magistrates understand this..unfortunate occurrence you have had.

With that, Eril will stand, motioning for Dralo to follow her out.

I shouldn't have let him know the team was missing. It seems that something is afoot here. What do we know of Binder & Binder? Where are their animation facilities located? Our night has just begun.

Chilingsworth
2013-10-06, 12:16 AM
Binder & Binder.... *his by now trademark ruffling*

Let's see. Binder & Binder:
Established as Binder Body Refurbishers thirty years ago by Rosaline Binder.
Became Binder & Binder Animators twenty years ago with the death and subsequent animation of her daughter Zoe Binder as a slaymate-- Apparently, the added necromantic power allowed them to diversify. Rosaline herself joined the ranks of our post mortem citizenry as a necropolitian ten years ago.

Location... Their reanimation facility is located in the Gravediggers' District, as is usual for such enterprises. They also have an accounting office in the Phalanges (Financial District) Finally, they have an alchemical production facility in the Ashpot. (A bottom of the ladder residential district abutting the Boneyard.) The Binders' private residence is located in the Mandible. (Upper class district primarily populated by sapient undead.)

*more ruffling*

They are one of the larger and more prosperous of the reanimation firms in town. In addition to the Binders themselves, they have seventy five sapient employees.

Chilingsworth
2013-10-06, 12:22 AM
Around this time, your driver pokes his head into the cabin.

Wh... where to, Madam?

DawnRaven
2013-10-06, 10:08 AM
Hm..I would like to go to their reanimation facility in Gravediggers. It would probably be less polite to show up at their personal abode..for now. Yes, that will do. Driver, to Gravediggers.

Chilingsworth
2013-10-06, 10:26 AM
Your trip to the Gravediggers' district is uneventful. As it is by now well into the night shift, traffic on the roads is minimal. Streetlights are placed every fifty feet, leaving most of the area with barely sufficient light.

Soon enough, you reach the edge of the Gravediggers' district.
The carriage stops. The driver pokes his head back into the cabin,

B...beg your pardon, Ma'am. The horses wont go any further into the district. You'll have to take the rest of it on foot.

DawnRaven
2013-10-06, 02:10 PM
Your trip to the Gravediggers' district is uneventful. As it is by now well into the night shift, traffic on the roads is minimal. Streetlights are placed every fifty feet, leaving most of the area with barely sufficient light.

Soon enough, you reach the edge of the Gravediggers' district.
The carriage stops. The driver pokes his head back into the cabin,

B...beg your pardon, Ma'am. The horses wont go any further into the district. You'll have to take the rest of it on foot.

Eril scowls and steps out of the carriage. I should have brought my own horses. You can always count on a skeletal mount.

Her shadow swirls in the darkness, seeming to dance between her sister's shadow and her own. Anya likewise dismounts and steps near to her sister, whispering, one of the few times she's spoken tonight. If you had asked, I would have brought your personal guards, Archon.

Yes, yes I realize that sister. Now come, let us proceed on foot. And keep your eyes open for trouble. Dralo, how far are we on foot from the facility?

The two will begin walking toward Binder & Binder's reanimation center.

Chilingsworth
2013-10-06, 02:26 PM
Binder and Binder is a mere three blocks away, Archon.

Though... if I may make a suggestion-- Couldn't you slay and reanimate them? I'm sure the Matriarch would approve, as I'd guess we would have been issued animated draftbeasts had our need to enter this district been known.

DawnRaven
2013-10-06, 02:44 PM
Binder and Binder is a mere three blocks away, Archon.

Though... if I may make a suggestion-- Couldn't you slay and reanimate them? I'm sure the Matriarch would approve, as I'd guess we would have been issued animated draftbeasts had our need to enter this district been known.

Could I? Of course. However, there's no need to hasten the wonders of death for the poor beasts. An undead horse may not need to eat and may not be skittish, but it is hardly as responsive as a living one. A walk will not harm us.

Eril will cast Ebon Eyes with one of her rod of lesser extend charges giving her 100 minutes of darkness-piercing vision (natural and magical). After that, she'll continue on foot.

This will leave her with 1 charge left on the rod. She uses it daily to extend a cast of Magic Vestment for 10 hours.

Chilingsworth
2013-10-06, 03:50 PM
Dralo nods.

Of course, Archon.

You notice that Dralo has no trouble in the abysmally poor lighting conditions.

You meet very few people on your walk. You do see one group of young men, but they make themselves scarce when you get close.

You reach the Binder Building. It does not appear to be active at this time.

DawnRaven
2013-10-06, 03:57 PM
Eril tsks and tries the door anyway. Bah, it's only night time! Whatever happened to the romantic moonlit animations? She sighs. There just isn't any romance in bone binding anymore. Anya, look around for a window for our..friend to get inside and open the door.

Gaiy let Eril use a monster class to create her second cohort, a shadow. He's not technically incorporeal yet he has some of the benefits and drawbacks. He can however interact with unattended corporeal objects 3/day..and he can pick locks :D

Chilingsworth
2013-10-06, 04:09 PM
Before Anya finds an reachable window, the door opens and a young woman holding a lantern confronts you.

I'm sorry, but we're closed. The Mistresses are resting to refresh their arcane energies for the day. Please come back around sunrise for proper customer service.

DawnRaven
2013-10-06, 04:15 PM
I understand you are currently closed but we are on business for the Matriarch. I am Archon Eril of the Ebon Thorn. We would like to speak to whoever is available in administration. We have urgent business regarding your contract with Wanderdust Mill.

Chilingsworth
2013-10-06, 04:31 PM
Administration?

None of the boss types are here at this hour. Just me and the boys in the night maintenance crew.

DawnRaven
2013-10-06, 04:39 PM
Scratching her neck, the cleric frowns. She hadn't thought this through much, but maybe something could be salvaged. Well, that's fine enough. We're here about a complaint filed against Binder & Binder for not fulfilling its contract with Wanderdust. May we come inside to take a look around? We would like to know what could possibly be keeping such a prestigious company from providing sufficient service.

Chilingsworth
2013-10-06, 04:52 PM
Well... I really shouldn't let you in without one of the bosses around. Trade secrets and such, you know?

The woman, now that you think of it, more of a girl, really, looks pensive.

DawnRaven
2013-10-06, 05:51 PM
Sense motive to see if she's purposefully keeping us out. [roll0]

You would bar entry to an authorized agent of the Throne?

Chilingsworth
2013-10-06, 06:09 PM
If by "Purposefully" you mean intentionally. Yeah. If you mean "for nefarious and/or illegal purposes? No.

*The girl suddenly seems to find some nerve*

Look lady, company rules is company rules. If I don't follow'em, I'm back on the street having to think about selling myself. Now, you haven't shown me any proof of who you are, or of any order that I have to follow before my boss'. Either show me that proof, or come back after dawn when the bosses are here.

DawnRaven
2013-10-06, 06:18 PM
Eril frowned, frustrated. She always assumed people would recognize who she was! How dare they not know! Smite the..she took a deep breath and turned around before blood go shed. Dralo, do you have any official paperwork? I don't usually feel the need to carry such on me.

Chilingsworth
2013-10-06, 06:37 PM
Yes, Archon... Well, I have my own, and the investigative charter, anyway.

*ruffle ruffle* He steps forward, handing you two sets of documents. One is an identification document, identifying him including a through description. The other is the charter, stating that you, Dralo, and Ayna have the right to bind and loose in pursuit of the current investigation. He removes his hood so the girl can confirm his identity. He has fire red hair and red eyes. When you hand the girl the documents, she goes pale and nearly trips over herself to let you inside.

DawnRaven
2013-10-07, 10:19 AM
Yes, about time girl. Now, tell me has animation slowed at all lately? Eril stalks inside, looking around. [roll0] (spot)

And please, show us around the place, if you will? If the owners have any problems I will explain it to them.

Chilingsworth
2013-10-07, 10:51 AM
The girl nods.

Umm... Sure, I can show you around, I guess.

Ah... slowed down? Not that I know of. Me and the guys are just the night maintenance crew. All we really know about the daytime operations is how much of a mess they make. Can't say I've noticed much change in that mess lately. At least, not since the last batch of new contracts a couple of months ago. But they've become messier because of those, so I guess that means production sped up?

The girl shows you around the facility. You see the usual things you'd expect from a reanimation facility: A cold room for body storage; flensing tables and a beetle room for skeletizing bodies; a desecrated altar for the actual animation rituals; a safe for valuable component storage, and lockers for storing undead in need of refurbishment. About half of the latter are currently full.

You also meet the other four members of the night crew: a dwarf craftsman, who works on any serious repairs needed, along with two halflings and an elf who do general cleaning work.

DawnRaven
2013-10-07, 11:50 AM
You mentioned new contracts..what do you know of these?

Chilingsworth
2013-10-07, 12:12 PM
Umm... not much. Every year, we pick up some new clients. Usually during the winter to spring months, you know, when the raw material supply peaks? This year, the new contracts required a larger increase in production than most years. At least, judging by the mess the additional animations leave behind for us to clean up.

Ah... maybe you could ask at the accounting office? That's where all the records are kept, well at least the records are compiled there weekly.

But, I don't think there's anyone there at this hour. They don't open until halfway to midday, those lazy so and so's, and close up before sunset, except in darkest winter. So they wouldn't even have a cleaning crew there right now. It'd be locked up tight and the building would have whatever security measures it has engaged.

DawnRaven
2013-10-07, 04:02 PM
Tsk. That will make things a tad bit difficult. Do you know who in your management handles complaints? Additionally, do you know if you have been visited by any auditors recently?

As an aside, to Dralo, Eril will whisper. Bah. We should have asked where the auditors went after Wanderdust, if they knew.

If provided with a name and an address, Eril will thank the cleaning crew and leave, heading back outside to head to the management's residence.

Chilingsworth
2013-10-07, 04:18 PM
Umm... complaints? Well, Sandy handles complaining to us if she's not satisfied with our work at the end of our shift. I'm guessing that's not what you mean, though... I don't know. I guess the sales people would handle them, maybe moving up to one of the bosses, eventually? I suppose if the complaints were mailed in rather than delivered in person, they'd end up at the accounting office, since that's our mailing address, I think.

Uhh... I don't know anything about auditors. You'd have to ask the dayworkers about that.

Ah... I don't think he'd know much more than I've told you, but my cousin works in the accounting office. He's one of the book keepers. That's how I got this job.

DawnRaven
2013-10-07, 04:27 PM
Ah... I don't think he'd know much more than I've told you, but my cousin works in the accounting office. He's one of the book keepers. That's how I got this job.

That's fine, I don't believe I'd get much from one of the book keepers. However, I would like his contact information anyway. Where does he live? And do you know who is charge of the accounting office? Or for that matter...

Eril turns and looks at Dralo. Do you have anything on who is in charge of their accounting office? I think we should go pay him a little visit.

Chilingsworth
2013-10-07, 05:20 PM
Umm... my cousin?

His name is Dylan Robertson. He lives in the tenement at 1223 West Lane, in the Woods district. Flat 2.6b She names an address in a lower-middle class section of town. (It is usual for flats to be numbered by floor, then by pair, then a or b depending on which of that pair.)

The accounting office? I don't know.

Meanwhile, Dralo shakes his head.

Unfortunately, Archon, the only names required on a business charter are those of the owners or shareholders. They aren't required to register their management staff directly. Though... we might learn something from tax records, I suppose. But I didn't think to take copies of those with me. I apologize.

I would have had this posted sooner, but I lost power for an hour or so while writing it! :smallannoyed:

DawnRaven
2013-10-07, 05:30 PM
Of course not, Dralo. How could you have expected to need that? Well..hm.. She paces back and forth, nodding to the woman. Thank you for your help. I think it is time we question the business owners on this issue. You said their personal home was in Mandible? I hate to disturb the citizens at this hour, but I'm sure they will understand. And if they don't then I don't care.

No problem! As it is, we progress pretty fast with so many posts a day!

Chilingsworth
2013-10-07, 05:45 PM
Well it's said that the most reliable records are always the tax records, so I could have foreseen some use for them, but thank you. Regardless, I agree Archon. It is high time. Shall we?

The girl relocks the door behind you after you say your goodbyes.

You walk back to your waiting carriage after your hour (or so) interrogation of the girl. The first thing you notice amiss is that you do not see the carriage's lights, which are everburning and so should not have been put out.

You realize why soon enough: The carriage has been ransacked. The horses have been killed. The driver was apparently thoughly tortured, then killed, and the everburning lanterns have been stolen.

DawnRaven
2013-10-07, 07:55 PM
Well it's said that the most reliable records are always the tax records, so I could have foreseen some use for them, but thank you. Regardless, I agree Archon. It is high time. Shall we?

The girl relocks the door behind you after you say your goodbyes.

You walk back to your waiting carriage after your hour (or so) interrogation of the girl. The first thing you notice amiss is that you do not see the carriage's lights, which are everburning and so should not have been put out.

You realize why soon enough: The carriage has been ransacked. The horses have been killed. The driver was apparently thoughly tortured, then killed, and the everburning lanterns have been stolen.

Someone would dare THIS of the Matriarch's property in the middle of the city?! Search the area. Find clues to the villains that have done this.

[roll0] Survival to track? And I suppose I can add +4 from her minions assisting? :D

Eril's shadow will split and the dusky creature will quickly search the area for clues as well. Search: [roll1] Ah be useful minion!

Chilingsworth
2013-10-07, 08:03 PM
Dralo searches for clues as ordered:
[roll0]

You find tracks belonging to six medium-sized humanoids. Unfortunately, because of the cobblestone streets (and your lack of training as a tracker) you can't follow them for more than a few yards. For those few yards, they seem to lead back into the Boneyard.

As for clues, you find the weapon marks on the three corpses:

The horses have marks consistent with some kind of bludgeoning weapons. If you had the weapons, you might be able to match them (assuming the corpses haven't degraded by the time you find candidate weapons.)

The driver has marks from a great variety of implements.

His eyes and the surrounding areas have several pins jammed into them.
His eyelids have been removed, seemingly by being ripped off.
He's had much of his skin removed, while he was alive.
Some sort of wooden splinters have been jammed under his toe and fingernails.
His eardrums have been poked out.
Worst of all... he was apparently "catheterized" with something similar to barbed wire.

His actual cause of death seems to be the "Ashpot Necktie" he's wearing.
(Throat slit and tongue pulled through the hole.)

Needless to say, whoever did this had some specialized equipment and the skill to use it.

DawnRaven
2013-10-08, 04:08 PM
Aw, missed that you had edited it sorry!

Eril paces back and forth, glaring at the corpses as if they've done something wrong. Then she realizes she's a cleric that can cast third level spells. Gather the bodies, the fools shouldn't have left corpses if they didn't want to be trailed. Anya, arrange for our skeletons to gather these and return them to our base of operations. Dralo and I are going to visit with that family. Tomorrow, I shall pray for Inautia's aid in speaking with their souls. Guard yourself well this night, Sister. Trouble is afoot and I would not have you dying on me again.

With that, Eril turns toward the Mandible. Whoever tortured these men is trying to delay or slow us. We will find them and sunder them limb from limb, using their corpses to fuel our armies. No one treats our people like this! No one.

Chilingsworth
2013-10-08, 04:37 PM
Do you really think the horses will know anything, Archon? The driver I understand, but gathering the horses seems more trouble than it's worth. And, which family are we going to visit? Dralo seems slightly confused, as if someone had outdone him at one of his hobbies.

DawnRaven
2013-10-08, 04:49 PM
Do you really think the horses will know anything, Archon? The driver I understand, but gathering the horses seems more trouble than it's worth. And, which family are we going to visit? Dralo seems slightly confused, as if someone had outdone him at one of his hobbies.

The Binders of course. They may not able to answer my questions, but they should at least know about complaints from an important client like the Wanderdust. And they may not be..but I'm sure we'll find some use for them. I could use a new horse when I have the time to purchase onyx.

Eril's method of discovering secrets: Rampaging around like a bull until something comes out of hiding.

Chilingsworth
2013-10-08, 04:59 PM
Ah. I see. Though, might it not be prudent to file a report at headquarters, first? Besides, it's between us and the Mandible.

The government and religious district of the city is at its center. The various other districts are arranged around it with major roads being like wheel spokes. The Mandible and the Boneyard (which boarders the gravediggers and the ashpot) are opposite eachother. Between the ashpot and the mandible is the Woods district. Between the Gravediggers and the Mandible is the phalanges district, the city's financial and merchantile center. (also, just realized I mixed up the phalanges and the ashpot. :smallredface:) And, just realized I've gotten my dialog fonts mixed up. :smallsigh: Oh well, that error isn't fatal.

DawnRaven
2013-10-08, 05:04 PM
The Archon looks to Dralo, then to the corpses, then to Anya. You're right, of course. Anya, let's take the driver and leave the horses. We will stop by headquarters. Dralo can file a report, Anya can store the corpse and I will obtain us transportation...Eril pauses and looks at the sky. Around what time of night would it be?

Chilingsworth
2013-10-08, 05:24 PM
Yes, Archon.

Your march to headquarters is uneventful.

The building is an impressive three story fortress-like structure, faced in white and black marble, the words "Arilian Royal Investigative Ministry," in inlayed bronze letters above a grand entrance.

You enter, and the sergeant on duty jumps to attention, saluting.

Lady Archon! Lieutenant Dralo, sirs! What can I do for you tonight?

It's around 22:00. It's just past midnight when you reach headquarters. Actually, you might want to ask Inautia's player when you're supposed to pray for spells. :smalltongue:

DawnRaven
2013-10-08, 05:35 PM
That's a good point, asking now.

Dralo, do you think you could go over the tax documents while we're here? We may as well retire for the night and resume the hunt in the morning. I will meet you here early, 7:00 sharp. We will head to the accounting office and try and discover what happened to that complaint. I would also like to try and figure out where the auditors went after Wanderdust Mill.

Chilingsworth
2013-10-08, 06:19 PM
Yes, Archon.

He turns to the sergeant

Bryant, take this evidence to cold storage. (pointing to the driver's corpse) I'll be next door in the archives. I may have to pull an all nighter, so have Sandra prepare a ray of resurgence.

The sergeant turns slightly green when he sees the corpse, but does as ordered.

Dralo leaves, presumably for the archives.

Chilingsworth
2013-10-08, 07:35 PM
You meet with Dralo at the appointed time.

Incidentally, since you require an hour for spell prep, you wouldn't have had a chance to get 8 hours rest yet. Please roll a fort save vs fatigue. (Though this doesn't affect your spellcasting, of course.)

Dralo's save:
[roll0]

checking Dralo's result to determine his condition when you meet up.

Dralo obviously hasn't slept yet, but seems alert enough.

Archon, I've found some... interesting things in the tax records.

First, the head of Binder's accounting division is a woman named Yin Gallin. Second, their gross income to date is twice what it was this time last year.

DawnRaven
2013-10-08, 08:03 PM
[roll0] Presumable failed with that bonus, hah! Interestingly enough, the only spells that remove fatigue are level 4+.

Twice? Hm..perhaps those new contracts. I wonder who they are working for now? And how does that tie in with the attackers the other night?

Eril frowns and looks out of the room. Let us interrogate our driver from yesterday to see what he saw.

She will cast Speak with Dead at CL 5, getting 2 questions. The first will be: "I want you to describe, in detail, the physical features, mannerisms and clothing of the person that killed you and any companions he had with him."

Chilingsworth
2013-10-08, 08:23 PM
Actually, there are two spells that remove fatigue of lower level: 2nd level: Lesser restoration explicitly does so. 1st level: ray of resurgence also does so. And Draco asked the in-house medic to prepare one for him, which he doesn't need. :smallamused:

Also, how do you have a +1 fort save?! :smalltongue:

Indeed Archon.

You ask your question of the driver.

That's not technically a question, but I'll be nice and let it slide. Also, I'll let the driver share your LN alignment so he doesn't get a save. :smalltongue:

They were horrible! They cut me, and stabbed me, and burned me and tore at me! They wore leathers and filthy cloaks. They smelled like trash heaps. There were six of them. Their leader was a big brute of a man. Black hair, dirty skin, calloused hands. His breath stank of bad whisky. Kept saying I entered the wrong gang's turf. I didn't get a good look at his buddies. They all had the sound of the slums in their voices.

DawnRaven
2013-10-08, 09:05 PM
Too many prestige classes! Plus, I forgot to invest a feat or item specifically on Fort saves. Ouch. I'll have to remember ray of resurgence for the future. And I hadn't thought lesser restoration removed fatigue, just regular and greater restoration. Oops!

Either they were well disguised or they were really just thugs..hm. Did any of them bear symbols, scars, brands, tattoos, sigils, insignias, badges or any similar identifying marks?

Chilingsworth
2013-10-08, 09:11 PM
But... cleric has a +2 fort save at 1st level. Did you dump con?:smallconfused:

The boss had a simple black ring. And his hands were very heavily calloused, maybe scarred. I didn't see the others well.

Yeah, you should have a base fort save of +3 from your two cleric levels. So a total of +4. Of course, you still failed you fatigue save.

DawnRaven
2013-10-09, 06:41 AM
Always love when you find out you missed something that's beneficial. *facepalm* Changed that!

Well that was at least somewhat enlightening. Let us go to the Accounting offices and then we shall hunt down this 'gang,' Dralo.

She'll lead Anya and Dralo to the accounting office, this time preferably keeping a better eye on their carriage..

Chilingsworth
2013-10-09, 07:04 AM
Before you leave:

After you finish interrogating the driver, a young woman dressed in clean "scrubs" and wearing a carved wooden medallion shaped like a coiled couatl enters the room.

You pull that all-nighter, Lieutenant?

Ah, Sandra. Yes, but I'm holding up well enough. I think the Lady Archon could do with a pick-me-up, though.

Of course, I'd be honored. By your leave.

(assuming you consent)

She intones:

Kind Goddess, Succor this weary soul and renew her strength!

A ray of pure light reaches out for you. As it touches your skin, you find it comfortingly warm, like a warm sunbeam on an otherwise cold day. It seems to envelop you, restoring strength to your weary limbs. When the spell has finished its work, you feel refreshed and restored.

You are no longer fatigued.

Chilingsworth
2013-10-09, 08:45 AM
Your trip to Binder and Binder's administrative offices in the Phalanges is uneventful, if somewhat less comfortable than your previous trips. This is due to the additional passengers: You took a pair of patrolmen with you to protect the carriage in your absence.

The administrative building is an unassuming two story office building. Faced in limestone, with plate glass windows on the first floor and the words Binder & Binder Accounting in gold on the glass. The door is unlocked, as the place is open for business. You walk into a waiting room with several lightly padded chairs and a smartly dressed receptionist.

He looks at you.

You have an appointment, Macs?

DawnRaven
2013-10-09, 03:53 PM
He looks at you.

You have an appointment, Macs?

Eril smiles menacingly and walks up to him, snapping the staff end of her scythe on the floor harshly. I am Archon Eril of the Ebon Thorn. I have an appointment now. Eril glances to her sister and motions with her head forward.

The Steel Rose lifts the visor of her helm and smiles.This is the first time Dralo has seen her do so and what lays beneath isn't pleasant. Anya's face is heavily scarred. Her ivory, undead eyes gleam out with a distinct malice. She strides to the desk and slams a fist down on the counter, her smile much crueler than her sister. My sister prefers to leave such tactics to me. Please don't make her ask again, or I'll have to do something you'll regret.

Sure, they could offer up paperwork. But this is kind of the Sisters method. Intimidate (from Anya with an assist from Eril) [roll0]

Chilingsworth
2013-10-09, 03:57 PM
I'll need to see some...

He starts to request identification, until Anya's intervention.

Umm.... Yes, Ma'am! Who was it you had an appoint with, Ma'ams and sirs?

I'm not even going to bother rolling against your intimidate. He's just a low level functionary. He didn't sign up to get between an undead monstrosity and her quarry.

DawnRaven
2013-10-09, 04:11 PM
Poor sod. Of course, Anya wouldn't have hurt him. They're just irate after the guy dying yesterday.

I need to speak to whoever is in charge of your client information and whoever is in charge of handling complaints from customers. We come on behalf of the Matriarch and Wanderdust Mill.

Just realized, I have no idea what Sybille would want to be called. Eril's just been referring to her as the Matriarch.

Chilingsworth
2013-10-09, 04:19 PM
Umm... That would be Ms. Gallin, I guess. Err... she doesn't get in for another hour. Would you mind me handing you off to her secretary?

He sounds very hopeful at that question.

DawnRaven
2013-10-09, 04:37 PM
For several unblinking moments, Eril just stares at him.

Interior thoughts Seriously? We have that wickedly intimidating entrance and we have to talk to a secretary? Destiny sucks.

Yes...that would be fine.

Chilingsworth
2013-10-09, 04:46 PM
Hey, I did my best to tell you that proper business hours are 9-5. It's not my fault you decided to show up so early! :smalltongue:

O...Ok. Just a moment!

He walks over to a bank of tubes, choses one and talks into it:

Hey, Haley? I've got some early appointments for the boss. Could you make coffee and such for them?

You can't quite make out the reply.

I know she didn't have any appointments scheduled. These folks have one anyway, just do it, would you?

Again, you can't make out the reply, but he seems satisfied with it.

Right. So, just take the lift, *he indicates a sliding door behind and to the left of him* her office is the one with the fancy door at the end of the hall. Can't miss it.

DawnRaven
2013-10-09, 04:55 PM
Hey, I did my best to tell you that proper business hours are 9-5. It's not my fault you decided to show up so early! :smalltongue:

What? You mean businesses don't open when Eril wants them to? ...Its really good she's not in the current cluster-mess of gods. She'd have bravely charged the enemy and died in less than one round.

The sisters bow their heads to the man. Thank you for your cooperation. They then proceed to the elevator hiding their shame for forgetting what time the office opened.

Chilingsworth
2013-10-09, 05:23 PM
Oh, Gods... Yeah, you're lucky! But that does make me wonder, what's the timeline, when is this adventure happening vis-à-vis said clusterness? So far, it's in its second day.

The lift works flawlessly, taking you up the single story. (Now that you think on it, why did they bother installing this thing? Probably to show off their success and technical prowess.)

You enter the indicated office and are greeted by a dark skinned, slightly built woman.

You must be the surprise appointments. So, what will it be, coffee or tea?

The lift actually consists of two linked elevators (each with its own shaft.) When one is sent up, the other is always sent down. Thus, there's always one car waiting on each floor. The presence of a car also exposes an eternal lantern, thus indicating which car is available. Naturally, undead provide the motive force, via an always active turnstile which is engaged and disengaged via levers inside the cars.

DawnRaven
2013-10-09, 05:31 PM
I was figuring it could happen prior to the first week. So we're working in the past. Seems the easiest way to explain it, to me.

The armored duo with Dralo following along behind pause. We are. Tea, please. With milk and honey.

Coffee. Cold and black like the abyss of death.

Eril glances at her suddenly vocal sister and arches an eyebrow. The younger sister shows no emotion whatsoever and doesn't respond at first.

You..Anya. You..don't..you know what. Nevermind. Coffee for my sister, please.

Chilingsworth
2013-10-09, 05:41 PM
Dralo speaks up.

Coffee. Cream and Sugar.

Haley prepares the requested drinks and sets them on a conference table.

Around the table are several very comfortable looking leather upholstered chairs. The office as a whole is huge, a suite actually. You notice that Haley used a magical "hot plate" to prepare the beverages, and took the cream out of a cooling chest. A platter with doughnuts and a wide variety of other pastries (describe a pastry, it can be there.) is also on the table.

After everyone is seated, Haley joins you with her own cup of coffee.

Now, what can I do for y'all today?

DawnRaven
2013-10-09, 10:01 PM
We have come here to investigate two issues. First is why your shipments of undead to Wanderdust Mill have drastically increased. We are told they filed a complaint about this problem. And who are these new clients you have been filling orders for at the Boneyard?

Chilingsworth
2013-10-09, 10:15 PM
I'm assuming you meant to say decreased?

Wanderdust Mill? I don't know anything about a complaint from them.
At least, the Royal Animators' Guild hasn't mentioned it to us.

Complaints of the sort Wanderdust would have sent are normally first sent to the guild, which is essentially a governmental regulatory agency. The guild then inquires, mediates, and disciplines as needed.

As for the new contracts...

*she thinks for a moment*

Well, we had three major ones off the top of my head: One with Gravell Construction for crane motors, cement mixers, and draft zombies...

Monsinti, a large pipeweed farmer in the south contracted us for motors for his plows and harvesting machines...

And, the Army has increased their orders for wardead.

DawnRaven
2013-10-10, 10:41 AM
And this has caused your production for Wanderdust to slow?

Chilingsworth
2013-10-10, 12:44 PM
To my knowledge, our production for Wanderdust hasn't slowed. Or if it has, we haven't received notice of any complaint from the guild.

DawnRaven
2013-10-10, 01:23 PM
To my knowledge, our production for Wanderdust hasn't slowed. Or if it has, we haven't received notice of any complaint from the guild.

Eril groans and looks at Dralo. It appears we need to make yet another stop. Shall we return to headquarters, retrieve one of the Matriarch's Triad and head into the slums hunting for those criminals?

Chilingsworth
2013-10-10, 02:16 PM
Indeed Archon. Finding some of the guilty parties would do much to ease my frustrations as well.

DawnRaven
2013-10-10, 03:45 PM
Indeed Archon. Finding some of the guilty parties would do much to ease my frustrations as well.

Brilliant. While we're there I'll send a message to the Chaplain to come join us. That is, if we can even find these people.

Addressing the woman, Eril smiles.Thank you for your time. Would you mind giving us the contact information for each of those clients? If we need it, I would rather not come back. I am to understand that you have not changed your shipments of undead to Wanderdust Mill at any point in the last month or so?

Chilingsworth
2013-10-10, 04:31 PM
To my knowledge, our shipments to Wanderdust haven't changed.

As for our other clients... Sure I can get you that information, one moment.

She gets up and walks to a back room. When she returns, she has three note cards with contact information for the points of contact Binder and Binder routinely deals with for the three clients.

By chaplain, do you mean the member of the triad? Also, I'll come up with actual names for the contacts if and when you look them up. :smallwink:

DawnRaven
2013-10-10, 04:38 PM
Yes, the Triad and one of the other champions.

If we have other questions...we will be in touch. She turns and walks out, Anya trailing behind still holding the cup of untouched coffee. They'll return to the headquarters. Once there, they'll also attempt to hire an Expert hireling with Gather Information.

Chilingsworth
2013-10-10, 04:57 PM
Yes Ma'am. Hope your partner enjoys her coffee, Ma'am!

Haley waves as you leave.

You get to headquarters and send your messages.

Please send in character PM's to the players in question. You can continue with the new characters in your party, if you like.

DawnRaven
2013-10-10, 05:12 PM
Please send in character PM's to the players in question. You can continue with the new characters in your party, if you like.

:D Had already done that earlier today! Had an IC messenger bring him a message from Eril.

ChaiGuy
2013-10-11, 04:08 AM
Hi, I have seen the Problems in the Boneyard in character post for a while now, but I haven’t really found a good way to introduce my character at this late time of night. I believe that my character would keep more first shift hours and wouldn’t be awake at this time of night.

I would gladly have my character, Eligor Dullahan, assist in this investigation.

Eligor arrived early at the chapel; there was much to be done. There was an extensive list of preparation for maintenance required for the temple, and he was willing to do his best to assure that the faithful of Inuatia were properly cared for.

Quite unexpectedly a frantic knock is heard on the main entrance to the chapel.

A breathless messenger exclaims “Chaplain, Sir! Archon Eril of the Ebon Thorn is requesting your assistance locating and detaining several gang members suspected in the torture and murder of one of our men. She requests that you meet her in immediately in the Great Hall or, if you need some time, to meet her at the Boneyard District.”

Arhon Eril, how could he forget the name, if it hadn’t been for her he would certainly be illiterate and worshiping wolf spirits now. Murder and torture of government men, seems serious.

”Of course good sir, I will assist Archon Eril to the best of my abilities. I will depart for the Great Hall, immediately.” He dons his armor, grabs his equipment and heads for the Great Hall.

Raunchel
2013-10-11, 04:10 AM
Itnan, second of the Triad enters the headquarters. He is dressed in his thick, dark steel armour, his tabard bearing a red triangle, with skulls on the corners. At his side he carries an enchanted sword, a gift from the queen. He adores the queen, it is what he was made to do. He looks out from under his helmet, his face always obscured by the visor. He doesn't need to breathe, like those unfortunate souls who remains alive still do. He pities them, to be burdened by a mortal body, to be fragile, and to end. His body once ended, on a faraway battlefield, but he doesn't recall much from his former life, sometimes there are vague memories, of smiles, warmth and children. He doesn't understand them, are they from the living knight he once was?

Once he asked the queen, and she told him that his living form had once opposed her, but she, in all her goodness, had forgiven the body and restored it, creating Itnan, and he loved her for that. But he has his duty to do, and duty goes above everything. He approaches the Archon, and bows his head to the priestess. "Lady Archon, you summoned me? I will aid you in your endeavours, the queen wishes for a speedy return to normal production."

DawnRaven
2013-10-12, 09:49 AM
Thank you both for coming. Rise, Itnan. We are heading to the Boneyard to hunt down these people. Hopefully Dralo can help find us some leads.

Eril will lead the group to the Boneyard and get Dralo to ask around about people matching the descriptions she got from the dead body.

Chilingsworth
2013-10-12, 09:57 AM
You find several people who have opinions on the matter:

"Sounds like some bad business."

Says a laborer, who quickly returns to his task.

Must be one of those Ashpot gangs. They're bad news.

Says a woman running to a market.

It's the blackrings. Says a scared looking man, who clearly knows Dralo... and is terrified of him.

The area near the main road between the Boneyard and the Gravediggers' is their territory.

DawnRaven
2013-10-12, 10:32 AM
Eril will lead the group to the area between Boneyard and Gravediggers and cast an Extended Ebon Eyes on herself.
Keep your eyes open. Dralo, any idea which of these buildings could house the Black rings?

Chilingsworth
2013-10-12, 10:40 AM
Dralo considers.

No. I wasn't aware these kind of streetgangs had spread so far out of the Ashpot.

DawnRaven
2013-10-12, 11:15 AM
Alright...Eril takes a breath and looks to her shadow, eyes narrowing. Pensive, come out. I need you to scout the streets and see if you can figure out where these cretins may be lurking.

A voice, silky and masculine whispers from the shadows. As you wish, Archon.

Pensive can fly, but only 15" high into the air. He will use this stick to shadows along the sides of buildings and search/spot for signs of gang-like habitation.
Search: [roll0] and Spot [roll1] Not sure which is more suitable. He has a +20 hide and +17 move silently (while kinda incorporeal he lacks the ability to not make noise that most incorporeal creatures have)

Chilingsworth
2013-10-12, 11:21 AM
You find a few places of interest:

An abandoned warehouse that appears to have been turned into an opium and coca den.

A run down house that seems to be hosting some squatters.

And a small tent community set up in an empty lot.

DawnRaven
2013-10-12, 11:39 AM
Interesting...but not particularly relevant to our current mission. Either way, make note of that operation, Chaplain, Anya. Dralo, would you mind speaking to those living in the tent community and see what you can find out? I'd rather leave going inside cramped quarters until we know more.

ChaiGuy
2013-10-12, 11:45 AM
Chaplain Dullahan addresses the man scared of Dralo.

The Blackrings you say? his voice booms beneath his horned helmet. It is time for them to learn their place, they have no “territory” all is ruled by our enlightened ruler Sybille. Soon you will no longer need to fear these Blackrings. If you wish to help end their so called rule of this area then I would appreciate any additional information you could give. How long have they been active there and how many members do they have?

Diplomacy [roll0], Chillingsworth if you feel intimidate would be more appropriate then subtract one from this role.

Chilingsworth
2013-10-12, 11:50 AM
Yes Archon. Dralo and Anya say together.

(OOC: I'll wait for the others to chime in)

Chilingsworth
2013-10-12, 11:55 AM
The man still seems terrified... of Dralo, but seems willing to cooperate, if only to get him to leave.

The Blackrings? I don't know. They came around some time last year, I think? They relocated from the Ashpot, I think. Umm... maybe twenty or so of them.

ChaiGuy
2013-10-12, 12:50 PM
Chaplain Dullahan will be on the lookout for anyone wearing a black ring with hands that are heavily calloused or scarred. He’ll also try to see how many people have heard of the murder of the coachman.

Diplomacy [roll0]

Chilingsworth
2013-10-12, 01:47 PM
No one claims to know anything about the murder. Most of the people you talk to seem too terrified by the subject.

As for your quarry... you see plenty of people with calloused hands. (many of the people hereabouts perform heavy manual labor for a living.) No one wears a black ring, though.

(OOC: are you sticking with the Archon's group?)

ChaiGuy
2013-10-12, 02:03 PM
This is very useful information indeed, thank you sir. He then leaves with the rest of the group to the area the man spoke of.

OOC: Yes I’ll follow them and help in the investigation in any way I can. As far as being with Archon, it kind of depends on if she is going to the tent city too. She sent him along with Anya and Dralo, but didn’t say where she’d be. In any case he’s definitely with with Anya and Dralo, if Archon went too he’ll be with her otherwise I guess not.

DawnRaven
2013-10-12, 02:24 PM
No one claims to know anything about the murder. Most of the people you talk to seem too terrified by the subject.

Terrified of Dralo & us or terrified of the black rings?

Pensive..go through the run down house. I want you to search for anyone with a black ring on it or secret doors..I'm leaving the warehouse until last in case there is something we're missing. When you finish, return to me. The rest of us shall wait here.

The flitting shadow darts off, moving between shadows and clinging to walls. If possible, it will locate a squatter moving around and cling to its shadow, following her or him about the area while listening in.

Chilingsworth
2013-10-12, 02:50 PM
Terrified of Dralo & us or terrified of the black rings?

Pensive..go through the run down house. I want you to search for anyone with a black ring on it or secret doors..I'm leaving the warehouse until last in case there is something we're missing. When you finish, return to me. The rest of us shall wait here.

The flitting shadow darts off, moving between shadows and clinging to walls. If possible, it will locate a squatter moving around and cling to its shadow, following her or him about the area while listening in.

Terrified in general. Umm... both, really. I mean, the blackrings are a ruthless bunch of thugs that kill anyone that crosses them in horrible ways. Meanwhile, you guys are government officials, and are well armed. And Dralo is a fiend-blooded red-eyed... Halfling. Also, roll hide, listen, move silently, search, and spot for your shadow

DawnRaven
2013-10-12, 03:24 PM
Hide: [roll0]
Move Silentlty [roll1]
Listen [roll2]
Search: [roll3]
Spot: [roll4]

Chilingsworth
2013-10-12, 03:41 PM
About an hour later, Pensive returns.

Missstress... I sssearched the houssse. There was a sssecret passsage in the basssment, which was sssuprisingly well finished. The place was in better shape than I expected, too. And I found a hidden room on the ground floor.

DawnRaven
2013-10-12, 04:23 PM
Good. I was thinking this lot were too smart for an obvious drug den as a base. Let us move into the tenement. Chaplain, Itran take the front. Dralo, stay in the back. Pensive..return to your place. Sister, beside me. First we will investigate this room, and then the basement.

Eril will stride to the house, pushing her way in. She will head straight to the hidden room. If any of the poor get in her way, she'll flash her scythe at them, assuming they will get out of the way.

Chilingsworth
2013-10-12, 04:48 PM
You get to the house without incident.

However, flashing your scythe at commoners getting in your way caused the villains to get plenty of warning. They've barricaded the only entrance.

everyone, Roll spot checks.

DawnRaven
2013-10-12, 05:11 PM
Anya: [roll0]
Eril: [roll1]
Pensive (shadow) [roll2]

ChaiGuy
2013-10-12, 09:46 PM
Spot [roll0]
Edit: Can't see anything with this horned helmet on! ;P
OOC: As a side note DawnRaven, Chaplain is a title "a member of the clergy employed to give religious guidance, e.g. to members of the armed forces, schoolchildren, or prisoners". My character's first name is Eligor, his surname is Dullahan. Not a big deal, just thought I'd mention it.

Chilingsworth
2013-10-14, 09:52 PM
Just waiting for Raunchel's checks before posting.

Raunchel
2013-10-15, 03:32 AM
Sorry for not yet posting, I was a bit caught up in a battle.

Spot: [roll0]

Chilingsworth
2013-10-15, 05:11 AM
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ah0oyw_bj5igdE41cUpjYXlFZVdQOUpVVDA5X1E3Q 0E&usp=drive_web

So, everyone roll initiative. Pensive gets to act in the surprise round! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kps4RNW2c4k)

Raunchel
2013-10-15, 05:15 AM
Initiative: [roll0]

DawnRaven
2013-10-15, 06:46 AM
The google doc is private :P
Eril: [roll0]
Anya: [roll1]
Pensive: [roll2]

Chilingsworth
2013-10-15, 11:56 AM
Oops, Fixed. (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ah0oyw_bj5igdE41cUpjYXlFZVdQOUpVVDA5X1E3Q 0E&usp=drive_web) :smallredface:

Dralo: [roll0]
Bandits: [roll1]

DawnRaven
2013-10-15, 12:09 PM
Are the bandits on top of or inside of the tenements?
I believe Anya goes first after the surprise, which is appropriate since she usually takes the front. Actions pending on where the bandits are ^^

Chilingsworth
2013-10-15, 12:17 PM
The bandits are on top of the tenements and the safe house.
Behind cover. With crossbows.

Yeah, in future you might want to avoid announcing yourself by "waving your scythe at any commoner that gets in your way" when moving to attack the local street gang/protection racket. :smalltongue:

EDIT: Updated the map to state that the bandits are 20ft above you.
(The buildings are all 2 stories.)

DawnRaven
2013-10-15, 12:24 PM
In that case..Pensive moves to the base of the building directly behind them, hding in the shadows at its base.
[roll0]

After, Anya will clamber up the porch steps and try the door to the safehouse. If it is locked (presumably), she tries hacking it down. [roll1] for [roll2] Too bad you can't crit a door..

Chilingsworth
2013-10-15, 12:35 PM
Ok, the three bandits on the tenements will attack the scary woman with the scythe they were specifically warned about...

bandit 1: [roll0]
damage [roll1]
crit confirm [roll2]
damage [roll3]

bandit 2: [roll4]
damage [roll5]
crit confirm [roll6]
damage [roll7]

bandit 3: [roll8]
damage [roll9]
crit confirm [roll10]
damage [roll11]

Edit: I'm guessing only the second one hits, though it might be a crit. Does 19 hit your flat footed AC?

The bandit on top of the safe house will attack the closest enemy he can clearly see (Dullahan)

bandit 4: [roll12]
damage [roll13]
crit confirm [roll14]
damage [roll15]

Edit: Does 19 hit your flat footed AC?
If it does, that's a normal hit.

Waiting on ChaiGuy's initiative to post non surprise actions.

ChaiGuy
2013-10-15, 12:41 PM
Initiative [roll0]

Maneuvers prepared: 1 charging minotaur, 2 stone vise,3 vanguard strike,4 Lion’s Roar,5 Defensive Rebuke

Manuever granted [roll1], [roll2], [roll3], [roll4], [roll5] I’ll take the first 2 not identical results. Maneuvers granted Lion's Roar and Charging Minotaur

Stance: Iron Guard’s Glare

As a note I'm OK with someone else rolling Eligor's Attack of Opportunities, he'll use trip, and all that.

Attack of Opportunity: +1 guisarme +11 touch attack, Eligor’s strength check at +8, vs strength or Dexterity, follow up attack +11 vs prone opponent (2d4+6) or drop weapon if failed str. Check. The spiked armor has 1 less on the attack rolls and does 1d6+4 damage.

Chilingsworth
2013-10-15, 12:45 PM
How are you getting attacks of opportunity? The bandits are 20ft above you. Or are you taking AoO's against your allies? :smallconfused:

ChaiGuy
2013-10-15, 12:49 PM
How are you getting attacks of opportunity? The bandits are 20ft above you. Or are you taking AoO's against your allies? :smallconfused:

It's more for future reference, when in if there are AOO and I'm not here to roll them they don't hold everything up.

Edit AC: 23 Flat footed 21, AC vs ranged attacks 25, flat footed 23

DawnRaven
2013-10-15, 12:50 PM
Eril: 36/44
Anya: 40/40
Pensive: 54/54
19 hits flat-footed

Chilingsworth
2013-10-15, 10:22 PM
Dralo:

By Inautia's bony hands!

Dives for cover under the stairs.

Anya:

Attacks the door. It gives, but is still being held together by the bar and barricade behind it.

Bandits:
The two that can get a clear shot at her attack Anya in an attempt to stop her from breaking into the door. One of the others attacks Itnan, the other attacks Dullahan.

Bandit 3: attack [roll0]
damage: [roll1]
crit (threat 19-20): [roll2]
damage: [roll3]

Bandit 4: attack [roll4]
damage: [roll5]
crit (threat 19-20): [roll6]
damage: [roll7]

Bandit 1: attack [roll8]
damage: [roll9]
crit (threat 19-20): [roll10]
damage: [roll11]

Bandit 2: attack [roll12]
damage: [roll13]
crit (threat 19-20): [roll14]
damage: [roll15]

Raunchel
2013-10-16, 05:02 AM
Itnan silently approaches the tenement's door. It is a great crime to attack the archon, and he will punish these evildoers, and show them the beauty of death. He shifts his weight and attempts to break the door apart with his hands.

TThe strength test: [roll0]

DawnRaven
2013-10-16, 07:05 AM
Round 1

Are there outcroppings or ledges or window sills along the wall? If so, Pensive can climb up it simply by flying to one of those and then up to the top of the wall. He can only fly 15' high, but has a fly speed of enough to make it all the way up.

Cold...so cold. Give me your warmth! It reaches out and strokes the bandit. [roll0] v touch AC for [roll1] strength damage.

Weird interaction of rules: Technically if Pensive gets flanking..he can sneak attack with his touch attack. I had picked one of his feats based off of assuming that, but now am not sure how DMs would rule it. Can he sneak attack with his touch?

Eril will spin around, tearing a bolt from her shoulder. Fools. I was hoping to find someone foolish enough to do this. Now, become my minions! She spends one of her Summon Undead powers to summon a shadow next to the bandit on the roof. (It appears next round) She'll then join Dralo under the stairs for cover.

Round 2

Anya breaks down the bar holding the door. [roll2] for [roll3]

DawnRaven
2013-10-16, 07:08 AM
Pensive criticals dealing [roll0] Str damage.

Chilingsworth
2013-10-16, 07:25 AM
Round 1

Are there outcroppings or ledges or window sills along the wall? If so, Pensive can climb up it simply by flying to one of those and then up to the top of the wall. He can only fly 15' high, but has a fly speed of enough to make it all the way up.

Cold...so cold. Give me your warmth! It reaches out and strokes the bandit. [roll0] v touch AC for [roll1] strength damage.

Weird interaction of rules: Technically if Pensive gets flanking..he can sneak attack with his touch attack. I had picked one of his feats based off of assuming that, but now am not sure how DMs would rule it. Can he sneak attack with his touch?

Eril will spin around, tearing a bolt from her shoulder. Fools. I was hoping to find someone foolish enough to do this. Now, become my minions! She spends one of her Summon Undead powers to summon a shadow next to the bandit on the roof. (It appears next round) She'll then join Dralo under the stairs for cover.

Round 2

Anya breaks down the bar holding the door. [roll2] for [roll3]

Yes, you can sneak attack with your touch. However, the additional damage is negative energy damage (just to hp), rather than strength damage. Also, yeah he can fly up.

Also, the bar is broken, but there's still an assortment of large items blocking your way. (The bandits put effort into sealing the entrance. :smallamused:)

DawnRaven
2013-10-16, 07:34 AM
Yes, you can sneak attack with your touch. However, the additional damage is negative energy damage (just to hp), rather than strength damage. Also, yeah he can fly up.

Also, the bar is broken, but there's still an assortment of large items blocking your way. (The bandits put effort into sealing the entrance. :smallamused:)

I have a feeling by the time the fighters clear that door, Eril's shadows and Pensive will have cleared the rooftops and made a swarm of troublesome shadows. Shadows don't generally remember anything of their past life (lose all class levels when created). Eril can only command/control 1 shadow at the moment until she gets her hands on some items to reduce turn resistance/boost command undead. Pensive, if he gets the last hit in, can control up to 2 shadows he makes (his shadows are much weaker than the ones created by a non-classed actual monster shadow). What will happen to the remainder? Will they join Arnil as regular citizens?

ChaiGuy
2013-10-16, 10:45 AM
Dullahan AC 23, AC vs ranged 25, HP: 76

Dullahan’s turn: Free action to activate boots of Dragonstriding giving a climb speed 10’ for 10 rounds. Move action move 10’ south begin climbing the tenement making an accelerated climb taking 10 on the check for a result of 22 to climb the building. Finish the movement by pulling himself to the building top and going another 10’ south, drawing his guisarme during the move (I’m guessing it’s in a holster?).

ChaiGuy
2013-10-16, 11:07 AM
Standard action: Attack Bandit 2, +1 guisarme [roll0], Damage [roll1], if deals 10 or more damage trip attempt vs touch ac [roll2], str. VS str. Or dex. [roll3] if success follow attack [roll4], Damage [roll5], if fail drop the guisarme.

Forgot I had to double move
Sorry for double post. :(

DawnRaven
2013-10-16, 05:14 PM
Round 2
Rolling/declaring Round 2 actions for characters going after the bandits to speed things up for you Chilling

Presuming the bandits don't somehow drop Eril before her turn (fairly valid assumption), her spell completes and a shadow appears next to one of the other bandits.

The summoned shadow will flank with Pensive and attack v touch ac for [roll1] strength damage. (Critical: [roll2] v touch ac for [roll3] )

Eril will uhm..take total defense and wait for Anya to break a door down.

Pensive also strikes oll]1d20+10 v touch ac for [roll4] strength damage and [roll5] negative sneak attack (Critical: [roll6] v touch ac for [roll7] )

Edit: Er looks like Pensive goes first actually and looks like I messed up his roll. Use the critical roll, which I presume misses, for him

Chilingsworth
2013-10-16, 09:01 PM
Ok, Bandit 1 (being flanked by the shadows) gets hit by both of them.
He doesn't go down, but he's significantly weakened, and much of his flesh is necrotizing due to the negative energy.

He flees in terror (full withdraw), however the summoned shadow still gets and AoO on him (not flanking.)

The other three bandits focus fire on Dullahan:

Bandit 2:
attack: [roll0]
crit (threat 19-20): [roll2]

Bandit 3:
attack: [roll4]
crit (threat 19-20): [roll6]

Bandit 4:
attack: [roll8]
damage: [roll9]
crit (threat 19-20): [roll10]
damage: [roll11]

Map (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ah0oyw_bj5igdE41cUpjYXlFZVdQOUpVVDA5X1E3Q 0E&usp=drive_web#gid=0)

DawnRaven
2013-10-16, 09:02 PM
AoO: [roll0] Touch AC for [roll1] Str damage.

[roll2] Touch AC for [roll3] Str damage.

Well Dralo. I'm glad our companions are able to take care of this situation. I do not see much reason to waste any more spells on these weaklings. I'm sure Eligor and my pets can handle them.

Edit: Heh, they can only hit Eligor on a 20.
Edit Edit: I'm assuming Itnan is helping with the door.

Chilingsworth
2013-10-16, 09:09 PM
The bandit staggers away from the shadows, reaches and opens a trapdoor.

Indeed Archon. Though they were better prepared than I would have expected.

Yeah, these guys are weaklings: NPC classes, non elite array, crap equipment.

DawnRaven
2013-10-16, 09:09 PM
Round 3?
(18)Anya will try and clear the doorway, pushing and knocking her way inside of the safe house.

(11)Pensive will go after Bandit 3, reaching out with both hands and letting out a very traditional, well-practiced wail of sorrow. [roll0] for [roll1] Str damage.

(5)Eril sits and chats with Dralo while her shadow follows Pensive, moving into flanking on Bandit 3. [roll2] for [roll3] Str damage.

Chilingsworth
2013-10-16, 09:13 PM
Need a strength check from Anya.
(I'm fine with assuming you get an aid another bonus from Itnan unless his player posts otherwise.)

DawnRaven
2013-10-16, 09:16 PM
Need a strength check from Anya.
(I'm fine with assuming you get an aid another bonus from Itnan unless his player posts otherwise.)

She'll spend a power point to cast Adrenaline boost and increase Str by 2 for one round (swift action) and expend her psionic focus to get a +2 boost to strength for the round (free action). [roll0]

Chilingsworth
2013-10-16, 09:22 PM
Anya and Itnan burst through the hastily assembled barricade. The doorway is now passable, though a 15x15 square around and beyond it is difficult terrain (due to wood shards and other debris.)

Also, It'll be a little while before I get an interior map up.

DawnRaven
2013-10-16, 09:34 PM
Anya and Itnan burst through the hastily assembled barricade. The doorway is now passable, though a 15x15 square around and beyond it is difficult terrain (due to wood shards and other debris.)

Also, It'll be a little while before I get an interior map up.

Np! They'll be using it for cover while Eligor and the shadows clean up outside.

ChaiGuy
2013-10-17, 12:23 PM
Dullahan draws his guisarme in a swift fluid motion and brings it down on the bandit with a powerful blow.

Attack: [roll0], Damage [roll1], if the damage is 10 or more there is a free trip, attack vs touch ac [roll2], Str. Check vs str. Or dex. [roll3], if successful follow up attack vs prone target [roll4], Damage [roll5], if str. check fails drop the guisarme.

ChaiGuy
2013-10-17, 12:27 PM
Since I can't add rolls to an post here's to confirm the crit threat.

[roll0], Damage [roll1], note the guisarme is a x3 weapon

Chilingsworth
2013-10-17, 03:57 PM
You cleave into the bandit, knocking him over, then follow up by slashing into his midsection, only stopping when your blade gets stuck in his spine.

The bandit is very, very dead.

DawnRaven
2013-10-17, 04:03 PM
Round 3?
(18)Anya will try and clear the doorway, pushing and knocking her way inside of the safe house.

(11)Pensive will go after Bandit 3, reaching out with both hands and letting out a very traditional, well-practiced wail of sorrow. [roll0] for [roll1] Str damage.

(5)Eril sits and chats with Dralo while her shadow follows Pensive, moving into flanking on Bandit 3. [roll2] for [roll3] Str damage.

Eril and Pensive still do the same things.

Round 4

(18) Anya: Will push into the safehouse.

(11)Pensive: Will continue to pursue Bandit 3 [roll0] for [roll1] str damage and [roll2] negative damage.

(5) Eril will go into the safehouse with Anya and Itnan. Her summoned shadow (lasts 7 rounds) continues to pursue bandit 3 [roll3] for [roll4] strength.

Summoned Shadow: [roll5] for [roll6] strength.
Pensive: [roll7] for [roll8] str damage

Chilingsworth
2013-10-17, 04:20 PM
Pensive's negative damage kills the bandit before he reaches strength 0. So, his body is a necrotized, slightly smoking heap, but no shadow is spawned.

DawnRaven
2013-10-17, 04:22 PM
Pensive's negative damage kills the bandit before he reaches strength 0. So, his body is a necrotized, slightly smoking heap, but no shadow is spawned.

Aw boo! *makes note not to have him do that to the rest, Eril wants a minion!

Chilingsworth
2013-10-17, 04:31 PM
Bandits 3 and 4 take potshots at Dullahan:

bandit 3:
attack: [roll0]
crit: [roll2]

bandit 4:
attack: [roll4]
crit: [roll6]

DawnRaven
2013-10-17, 04:51 PM
Assuming there's no combat within the safehouse..Eril's shadow and Pensive will continue to pursue bandits, trying to turn them to their side. Chai, can you leave the last one to be turned into shadowness?

Pensive: [roll0] for [roll1] no longer sneak attacking even when flanking currently targeting bandit 4.

Eril's shadow: [roll2] for [roll3]

Chilingsworth
2013-10-17, 11:22 PM
There's no combat in the safe house, in fact... it's almost completely silent, excepting the commotion outside.

The shadows weaken the bandit, but don't take him down, yet.

Raunchel
2013-10-18, 03:15 AM
Itnan pushes deeper into the building, holding his sword ready to strike down any who would oppose the Queen. The rubble is an alliance, but it will be overcome. He has time, the living do not. He never tires, he never rests. That is the gift that he was given. Sometimes he feels pride, to be chosen to serve like this. But he should not feel like that. He serves, that is all that matters.

basically he pushes deeper into the house, looking for enemies to kill.

DawnRaven
2013-10-18, 06:46 AM
There's no combat in the safe house, in fact... it's almost completely silent, excepting the commotion outside.

The shadows weaken the bandit, but don't take him down, yet.

We can Anya off the initiative then. Essentially Eril will be hiding in the building until Pensive and the summon slay bandit, then having the summoned shadow bring the spawn to her to control. It still has another 4 rounds out. I assume Eligor will kill one of the b andits and leave the currently weakened bandit to the shadows to play with.

Chilingsworth
2013-10-18, 08:23 AM
You find no enemies in the building. Make, oh let's say Wisdom and Intelligence checks.

I'm willing to let you slaughter the bandits at this point, with one rising as a shadow. Unless you'd like to capture the other one rather than kill him?

DawnRaven
2013-10-18, 08:32 AM
You find no enemies in the building. Make, oh let's say Wisdom and Intelligence checks.

I'm willing to let you slaughter the bandits at this point, with one rising as a shadow. Unless you'd like to capture the other one rather than kill him?

Capturing sounds like an amazing idea. Yes!

DawnRaven
2013-10-18, 08:33 AM
Wis [roll0] and Int: [roll1] with a +2 aid another from Anya.

Raunchel
2013-10-18, 08:44 AM
Itnan looks around.
intelligence: [roll0]
wisdom: [roll1]

Chilingsworth
2013-10-18, 12:18 PM
You remember that Pensive told you this building had a secret passage/escape tunnel. You also noticed that the bandits were prepared for you (probably because of the flashy, threatening manner in which Eril approached the safehouse, i.e. waving her scythe about.) You come to the conclusion that the bandits probably skedaddled.

Anyway, you have defeated four bandits.
One is almost cleaved in half. One is a necrotized smoking husk. One's body is a cold, drained heap of meat (and his spirit is now a shadow under Eril's control.) And one is currently pissing himself in terror as you restrain him.

You defeated four CR 2's (expert 2/warrior 1's)
Each had the following gear:
Light Crossbow w/ 15 bolts remaining
Short Sword
Leather Armor
Dagger

So, can Itnan get xp? If not, then it's divided between Eril and Dullahan. (Dralo didn't really participate in the battle, so he doesn't get any.)

DawnRaven
2013-10-18, 12:33 PM
He's a follower, so he can't.

Eril will gather the three other bodies together, cast Desecrate and then Animate dead using 225 GP of onyx dust.

She'll then approach the survivor, shadows on either side of her. You. Will tell us everything now. Are you the black rings? If not, where are they? Where have your companions retreated to? Speak!

Could you PM me the bandits stats so I can modify them with the zombie template? :3 Eril has her first gathering!

Chilingsworth
2013-10-18, 12:53 PM
The bandit finally runs out of urine, then starts stammering everything he knows.

Ye...ye... yes, Ma'am.

We're the black rings.

We've been here since the Deadheads took over our old territory in the Ashpot a couple years ago.

Our Boss is Allec Rubeum. The others probably fled to the other end of the escape tunnel, to the drug den. Uhh... it's about five blocks from here, in an abandoned warehouse.

Also, Eril and Dullahan each get 900 xp.

DawnRaven
2013-10-18, 01:09 PM
I see. You will lead us there, but not yet. First, did Allec or other black rings lead a raid on a carriage the other day, mutilating the driver? Why was this done? Additionally, what do you know of any attacks on a half-elf and a human mage recently? What do the Rings have to do with the Wanderdust Mill?

Chilingsworth
2013-10-18, 01:16 PM
Uhh... A carriage driver?

Yeah, I think the boss and some of the guys said something about that.
Something about some old man hanging around our territory after dark. Can't let people do that, or other gangs might think we can't protect ourselves and try something. Brought some nice lanterns back too, I think.

Half elf? Mage? I don't know a thing 'bout them. And Wanderdust Mill? We've got nothing to do with them, WAY out of our territory. That's watch protected, no gang would dare try to set up shop there.

DawnRaven
2013-10-18, 01:19 PM
Uhh... A carriage driver?

Yeah, I think the boss and some of the guys said something about that.
Something about some old man hanging around our territory after dark. Can't let people do that, or other gangs might think we can't protect ourselves and try something. Brought some nice lanterns back too, I think.

Half elf? Mage? I don't know a thing 'bout them. And Wanderdust Mill? We've got nothing to do with them, WAY out of our territory. That's watch protected, no gang would dare try to set up shop there.

Eril describes the leader seen in the dead man's words. Does [describes him] ring any bells? Who is this man?

Chilingsworth
2013-10-18, 01:22 PM
Yeah. That's the boss, probably. Allec.

I just told you he and some of the guys mentioned taking the old guy down, right?

DawnRaven
2013-10-18, 01:25 PM
Yeah. That's the boss, probably. Allec.

I just told you he and some of the guys mentioned taking the old guy down, right?

Eril doesn't respond to his question with words. Instead she just slaps him with her mailed fist. Tell me, in detail, where the tunnel is and if there are any other secret rooms in this chamber.

She will wave to her pets. Pensive, take your new friend and check his words.

Chilingsworth
2013-10-18, 01:34 PM
The man reels from your blow.

Ok... ok!

The secret passage is in the basement, the entrance is behind a supply cabinet. It's a straight shot to the den... we had all we could do to build it. We haven't had a chance to build false paths or traps or anything yet.

There's a hidden stash on the top floor, hidden under a loose floorboard in the ****ter. We keep some extra drugs and petty cash there.

The shadows check the man's words and find no deviations from truth.

DawnRaven
2013-10-18, 01:43 PM
The man reels from your blow.

Ok... ok!

The secret passage is in the basement, the entrance is behind a supply cabinet. It's a straight shot to the den... we had all we could do to build it. We haven't had a chance to build false paths or traps or anything yet.

There's a hidden stash on the top floor, hidden under a loose floorboard in the ****ter. We keep some extra drugs and petty cash there.

The shadows check the man's words and find no deviations from truth.

Eril coos to the creatures, stroking their insubstantial mass. Good boys! Have my little boys been good? You want a treat?

She turns to the man and frowns. I pronounce judgement on you on behalf of the Kingdom of Arnil and the Church of Inautia. Your actions against the Devoted of this city sentence you to death.

She lets the shadows leap on the man, leaving the last blow to her newest pet and creating a spawn for it to play with.

Dralo, would you mind retrieving the items from that secret stash? Thank you, kindly. Anya, Itnan, Eligor, shall we explore these tunnels?

Chilingsworth
2013-10-18, 01:52 PM
The man dies screaming, his final act to release his bowels.

Meanwhile, Dralo does as you request. Even using his handy satchel, he requires two trips. (His satchel is mostly filled with records and other papers.)

In total he brings you:

100 lbs of dried coca leaves.
20 pounds of processed opium.
10 pounds of cannabis/tobacco mixture (aka pipeweed)
(legal, but probably untaxed.)
1,000 silver pieces
100 gold pieces

DawnRaven
2013-10-18, 02:01 PM
The man dies screaming, his final act to release his bowels.

Meanwhile, Dralo does as you request. Even using his handy satchel, he requires two trips. (His satchel is mostly filled with records and other papers.)

In total he brings you:

100 lbs of dried coca leaves.
20 pounds of processed opium.
10 pounds of cannabis/tobacco mixture (aka pipeweed)
(legal, but probably untaxed.)
1,000 silver pieces
100 gold pieces

Damn..Eril's too lawful to bother with the illegal stuff.

The Archon waves a hand at the collected drugs. "Burn it. All of it."

Anya will set fire to the coca and opium, keeping only the gold and the legal product.

Thank you, Dralo. Your talents have been invaluable for this operation. I will make sure the Queen rewards you for your assistance.

Eril will lead the group to the tunnel and start going through it. She'll send Pensive ahead to scout. Her new pets will stay hidden in the ground under her feet.

Chilingsworth
2013-10-18, 02:59 PM
Where are you burning the drugs?

DawnRaven
2013-10-18, 03:06 PM
Where are you burning the drugs?

On the roof of the building, if there is access. If not, they'll deal with it later. Burning it outside may cause a riot and burning it inside seems a terrible idea.

Edit: ON second thought..Eril will keep them. Setting them on fire and launching them at an enemy army with a catapult seems like it could be fun. She'll let Sybille decide what to do with them.

Chilingsworth
2013-10-18, 03:19 PM
On the roof of the building, if there is access. If not, they'll deal with it later. Burning it outside may cause a riot and burning it inside seems a terrible idea.

Edit: ON second thought..Eril will keep them. Setting them on fire and launching them at an enemy army with a catapult seems like it could be fun. She'll let Sybille decide what to do with them.

Yup, had you burnt it outside I was going to send a hoarde of drug addicts at you. Burning it inside would have provoked fort saves.

Back IC:

Thank you Archon. I live to serve Aril.

Dralo bows.

DawnRaven
2013-10-18, 03:46 PM
For some reason, the sheer quantity of it hadn't really hit home at first.

Chilingsworth
2013-10-18, 04:18 PM
So, shall we see about crashing this drug den Archon?

Yeah, That is a lot of drugs, isn't it? :smalleek:

DawnRaven
2013-10-18, 04:23 PM
So, shall we see about crashing this drug den Archon?

Yeah, That is a lot of drugs, isn't it? :smalleek:

Yeah :smalleek: Eril plans to eliminate it in a safe manner as soon as possible. However, if Mr. Black (Storm's Champion) hears of that..he'll probably get them out of her hands somehow.

Yes, Dralo. This time..perhaps going about it a bit quieter. Even if these are not the culprits of the Wanderdust problem, they have harmed and tortured innocents. They have corrupted our city with their drugs and I will not stand for it.

Lawful Neutral can be lawful good sometimes! In between the threatening and murdering of tied up people..

Eril will head through the tunnel quietly with Pensive leading the way, searching for traps or anything of interest
Search: [roll0] (This is only +11, subtract one.)
Spot: [roll1] (This is only +12, subtract two.
When they get to around 60' from the end of the tunnel, Eril will halt the group and send the two shadows to scout, hiding in the walls.

Chilingsworth
2013-10-18, 04:31 PM
You find no traps (like the bandit said, they haven't had a chance to trap it, yet). But... the tunnel is dark. How are you and Dullahan seeing?

DawnRaven
2013-10-18, 04:45 PM
You find no traps (like the bandit said, they haven't had a chance to trap it, yet). But... the tunnel is dark. How are you and Dullahan seeing?

Eril has Ebon Eyes still on her (extended for 2 hours). Eligor is..uhm..I guess we need a torch for him or he can willingly walk into the darkness.

And you never know! I forgot to roll sense motives on him before killing him and adding him to the crew.

Chilingsworth
2013-10-18, 04:52 PM
Eril has Ebon Eyes still on her (extended for 2 hours). Eligor is..uhm..I guess we need a torch for him or he can willingly walk into the darkness.

And you never know! I forgot to roll sense motives on him before killing him and adding him to the crew.

Yeah, I was surprised you didn't roll sense motive. As it turned out, he was too busy voiding himself in sheer terror to lie, so you got lucky. :smallamused:

Also, the way you ordered your shadows to kill him was quite amusing. :smallbiggrin:

DawnRaven
2013-10-18, 05:04 PM
Yeah, I was surprised you didn't roll sense motive. As it turned out, he was too busy voiding himself in sheer terror to lie, so you got lucky. :smallamused:

Also, the way you ordered your shadows to kill him was quite amusing. :smallbiggrin:

If there's one weakness she has, its for "adorable" incorporeal undead. She didn't go into Master of Shrouds for the power but because "aw lookie I can summon shadows, aren't they playful? Lookit how they pet all the humans!"

Just realized Eril can just cast light and move on through the tunnel, it's probably easier to assume they do that. [lasts 1 hour].

Chilingsworth
2013-10-18, 05:19 PM
Good enough.

You send your shadows out to scout.

They come back several minutes later.

The humans are arguing with each other, Mistress. Some fights are starting to break out. They're fighting over weather or not to smoke the tunnel out.

DawnRaven
2013-10-18, 05:27 PM
Good enough.

You send your shadows out to scout.

They come back several minutes later.

The humans are arguing with each other, Mistress. Some fights are starting to break out. They're fighting over weather or not to smoke the tunnel out.

Bah! Douse the light. We make our way in the dark. Eligor, take my hand and follow me to the light. I led you through your weak-barbaric ways to Inautia's glory and I shall do likewise today.

Eril really needs a better charisma with how I play her..:smallamused:

Eril and the others move as silently as possible through the tunnel. I can send my pets to surprise the leader from under the earth he stands on. Then, we can surge out from the tunnel while they are distracted.

Her intent is to have the shadows get a surprise round. Eril and the rest won't because they have ridiculously bad stealth. Even if the enemy hears them coming, they should be distracted by two insubstantial shadows!

Chilingsworth
2013-10-18, 06:05 PM
Ok, here's the new map. (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ah0oyw_bj5igdDNkZ01mOEFicTdxZGhQbzRfNWNSZ mc#gid=0)

The light blue is the warehouse/drug den floor. The brown are crates, some filled with drugs, most empty and just moved out of the way.

You hear screams as the people inside react to the appearance of the shadows. The entire area is well lit.

Chilingsworth
2013-10-18, 06:07 PM
Oh, and roll initiative, and attacks for the shadows.

DawnRaven
2013-10-18, 08:57 PM
Shadow (hope its okay to roll these as one) [roll0]
Pensive [roll1]
Eril [roll2]
Anya [roll3]

DawnRaven
2013-10-18, 08:58 PM
And for Itnan [roll0]

Chilingsworth
2013-10-18, 08:59 PM
NPC initiatives:

Dralo: [roll0]
Bandits + Enforcers: [roll1]
Addicts: [roll2]

DawnRaven
2013-10-18, 09:00 PM
Ugh. I need to remember to include everything instead of forgetting and not being able to edit.

The shadows surge out of the concrete. They would sing a dirge to Inautia as they do, but they haven't learned any yet. Instead they are as silent as a grave, stroking the legs of the bandit leader.

[roll0] for [roll1] Str
And Shadow 2:
[roll2] for [roll3] Str

Criticals
[roll4] for [roll5] Str
[roll6] for [roll7] Str

Chilingsworth
2013-10-18, 09:04 PM
Well, Allec is almost dropped, but is still somehow holding on.

Then again... do you want him dead, or captured? :smallamused:

DawnRaven
2013-10-18, 09:07 PM
Well, Allec is almost dropped, but is still somehow holding on.

Then again... do you want him dead, or captured? :smallamused:

Captured! If he looks very weak, they'll likely turn to other targets.
Edit: I'm also assuming Itnan, Anya, Eril and Eligor spend their turns moving to the doors. Pensive is hiding in Eril's shadow (he's not incorporeal enough to go through doors/floors so didn't go with the attacking shadows).

Chilingsworth
2013-10-18, 09:08 PM
Captured! If he looks very weak, they'll likely turn to other targets.

is Str 2 "very weak" by that standard? If so, he's looking it.

DawnRaven
2013-10-18, 09:12 PM
I'm also assuming Itnan, Anya, Eril and Eligor spend their first turn moving to the doors. Pensive is hiding in Eril's shadow (he's not incorporeal enough to go through doors/floors so didn't go with the attacking shadows).

I think that qualifies :smalltongue:

Chilingsworth
2013-10-18, 09:14 PM
In addition to the screams because of the shadows, you also hear fighting, particularly near the doors.

DawnRaven
2013-10-18, 09:17 PM
I don't know what's going on beyond those doors, but take out anyone that seems to be a threat. If anyone surrenders, do not kill them! We will pronounce judgement after knowing the full story.

Edit: More likely than not, Eril can handle this fight alone. Especially with her cohort/subordinate/animated minions/commanded + spawn shadows.

Chilingsworth
2013-10-18, 09:32 PM
Ok, so next round, you reach the doors.

Also, roll two attacks for each shadow: one on their turn, the other an AoO on a bandit fleeing them.
You're fighting bandits 2 and 14.

DawnRaven
2013-10-18, 09:47 PM
I think Raunch mentioned it was alright if I took control of her follower Champ for this, if not I'll take the punishment later.

Itnan will open the doors to expose the chaos within for the rest. As he does, the shadows strike out with attacks and (opportunity attacks). Pensive joins them, crying out gleefully. Feed me your strength! Join me in a state that surpasses your own! (targeting bandit 4)

Shadow 1: [roll0] touch ac for [roll1] strength
[roll2] touch ac for [roll3] strength
Shadow 2: [roll4] touch ac for [roll5] strength
[roll6] touch ac for [roll7] strength
Pensive: [roll8] touch ac for [roll9] strength

Possible crits:
[roll10] touch ac for [roll11] strength
[roll12] touch ac for [roll13] strength
Pensive: [roll14] touch ac for [roll15] strength

Then the bandits go.

If they haven't surrendered, Eril will attack addict 1 with her scythe. If any of you wish to survive this, I highly suggest dropping your weapons and getting to your knees. I am Archon Serenkya of the Ebon Thorn and we do not brook assaults or drug use in the Matriarch's city.

Eril - [roll16] v regular ac for [roll17] damage
Possible crit: [roll18] v regular ac for [roll19] damage

After the addicts have gone, Anya will join the fray, moving between two of the addicts and striking both addict 3 and 4.

She'll enter punishing stance as a swift action. (-2 AC, +1d6 damage) And use Steel Wind to attack.
Anya - [roll20] for [roll21]
Attack 2 [roll22] for [roll23]
Crit on 19-20:
[roll24] for [roll25]

Chilingsworth
2013-10-18, 11:33 PM
The bandits all look at each other, then at their leader who is nearly dead from strength damage. They also see that their chance to use some of the drugs to smoke you out has passed.

They surrender.

The Addicts on the other hand, are too busy using all the drugs they can get their hands on to notice you.

Chilingsworth
2013-10-18, 11:41 PM
(Not to be a wet blanket. Or anything, but you managed to shock and awe them. So, when you offered a chance to surrender, they took it.)

DawnRaven
2013-10-19, 06:40 AM
(Not to be a wet blanket. Or anything, but you managed to shock and awe them. So, when you offered a chance to surrender, they took it.)

She's lawful and perfectly okay with that. Eril's not a murder-stomp machine, she's just very aggressive.

Good. The moment one of you runs, we cut you all down. Don't try it.

She'll turn to the addicts and shout. Cease your activities or I will be forced to restrain you forcibly. We can help you!
Intimidate [roll0]
(Edit: Well that probably didn't work)
Her shadows will continue to feast on the addicts until they stop scrounging for drugs.

Chilingsworth
2013-10-19, 07:57 AM
They don't stop scrounging for drugs. As best you can tell, they think you and especially your shadows are just figments of a bad trip.

How many shadows do you allow to be made before you order them to stop?
(The addicts are just lv1 commoners. Not even worth any xp since they're too stoned to fight.)

All the bandits have dropped their weapons. Allec is too drained to put up any significant fight.

DawnRaven
2013-10-19, 08:07 AM
They don't stop scrounging for drugs. As best you can tell, they think you and especially your shadows are just figments of a bad trip.

How many shadows do you allow to be made before you order them to stop?
(The addicts are just lv1 commoners. Not even worth any xp since they're too stoned to fight.)

All the bandits have dropped their weapons. Allec is too drained to put up any significant fight.

One, then Eril snaps at them.
Stop. They're just..they're nothing. They deserve neither the embrace of undeath nor the punishment of it. Anya, Dralo, try to knock them out. We will bring them to the Chapel for purification. Perhaps some time locked alone will purge them of their addictions.

She'll walk to the bandits, walking back and forth in front of them. As she speaks to them, Anya polishes her sword and leans in close to Allec, lifting her visor and revealing cold, dead eyes. You. Allec, you are the leader of this band? You attacked an innocent carriage driver and a have ravaged these people with your trade. Why did you attack our carriage? What do you know of [she again describes the elf and human mage from the auditor team]? And what hand did you have in their murder?

Sense motive: [roll0]
Intimidate: [roll1] (Anya aid another)
Edit: Those rolls, they are amazing :smalltongue:

Chilingsworth
2013-10-19, 08:18 AM
(You really need to boost your intimidate bonus :smalltongue:)

Allec looks at you, and spits in your face.

Yeah. I'm the leader. Carriage driver? You mean the old man who loitered in our territory? We told'em to leave. He wouldn't, said he was waiting for his boss. Figured he was with another gang looking to but into our turf. Couldn't have that, so we made an example of'em.

I ravaged them? They're the ones who come to me for their stuff. Not I or anybody ever made them do it!

I don't know anything about no elf or mage. Didn't have anything to do with them.

Archon, would you like me to try getting more information out of him? I could do at least as good a job as he did to our driver. Besides, this whoreson taught me a new trick, I'd like to try it on him.

Dralo offers.

As far as you can tell, he's not lying.

Anya easily subdues the addicts and prepares them for transport.

DawnRaven
2013-10-19, 08:26 AM
Please, Dralo...I'm not very good at this. I'm used to preaching, not interrogating.

(Now if only e6 characters could get skill points:smalltongue: but the only way she could bump it would be Skill focus. And when comparing that to say, Leadership (She has undead leadership but they apparently stack :smallbiggrin:) or a divine metamagic or something..)

Anya has a better bonus..probably should have just used her, but Eril tends to talk more.

Chilingsworth
2013-10-19, 08:28 AM
Do you want the details of Dralo's methods, or just the results?

As you wish, Archon... if you'll help me move him to a better location, though?

DawnRaven
2013-10-19, 08:34 AM
..I think Eril is okay with just the results.

Yes, perhaps his screams will put the fear of Arnil in the rest of this lot. She glares at the surviving bandits.

And while Dralo works..what do the rest of you have to say for yourselves?

Chilingsworth
2013-10-19, 08:56 AM
Dralo grins evilly, then takes out a kit of wicked looking implements... including a length of barbed wire, which makes his grin even wider.

Now then... Mister Rubeum... let's see what else you know, shall we?

His screams make all the bandits shiver in terror, but some of them respond.

The money was better than begging.

It was either this, or my sister tries her luck as a streetwalker.

The deadheads drove us out of our old beat!

The rest of them are too busy incoherently begging not to be treated like their boss to say anything.

Unfortunately, there isn't any sort of private space for Dralo to do his work in, so you're treated to a full view. (But I'll leave the details out.)

On the plus side, you can hear his answers yourself.

Yes, I admit to killing the old guy! I Told you that already, didn't I?!

No, I swear, I don't know anything about an elf or a mage, please AHHH!

It's the Deadheads, they're to blame for everything. If they hadn't driven us out, your driver would still be alive!

The Deadheads... new gang... showed up in the Ashpot a few years ago. Ahhh! They have undeads that help them do their dirtywork. And fingerwagglers with them. We OW! didn't AHH! Stand a chance.

Where? I don't know. We used to run a beat about a block from the Binder Alchemical Plant. They drove us outta there. Like I said!

There, that's all I know, please STOP!

Very good, Mister Rubeum... but one more thing. You see Dralo pull out his length of barbed wire.

AHHHHHHH!

Allec faints.

Ah. Good, as effective as I hoped. Will there be anything else, Archon?

Dralo begins cleaning and repacking his equipment.

Chilingsworth
2013-10-19, 09:11 AM
Hey, I didn't list Dralo's alignment as Lawful Evil for nothing. :smallamused:

Also, I hope that was sufficiently light on detail.

DawnRaven
2013-10-19, 09:13 AM
The Archon shakes her head silently, re-considering Dralo's effectiveness. Very...effective, Dralo. It sounds as if this new gang may be worth investigating only because they claim to have mages, undead and work near the Binder's alchemy plant. I do not know if this will lead us to what is messing with Wanderdust, however.

She turns to the bandits, expression unreadable. Her lips turning faintly downward into a frown as she considers what to do with them.

Any of you who volunteer to join my pets in undeath shall be granted the opportunity to gain revenge on these Deadheads and know Inautia's cleansing of your sins. Your families will be taken care of by the Chapel and offered the opportunity to join its ranks as worshipers. If they decline, they will be provided job opportunities with the Order and the Chapel.

She stalks amidst them, looking down. For those of you too cowardly to face your crimes, to face the gang that has driven you here, to seek redemption and to seek aid for your families, you will be taken to the Courts. You shall be tried by another and sentenced, most likely to the death of your spirit making your corpse nothing but an eternal tool of the Kingdom. Or, perhaps, the judge will have mercy on you for brutally murdering and torturing Arnil citizens. I doubt it and I care not of your fate.

Diplomacy(?)[roll0]

DawnRaven
2013-10-19, 09:14 AM
Hey, I didn't list Dralo's alignment as Lawful Evil for nothing. :smallamused:

Also, I hope that was sufficiently light on detail.

Oh it was fine haha. I read the torture of the carriage driver and wasn't sickened, you did a great job of making Eril loath the bandits from that action though!

Chilingsworth
2013-10-19, 09:15 AM
Given the options, every single one of them agrees to voluntarily join your minions. Though they do beg you not to make them suffer like their boss... who is still very much alive, by the way.

Some of them ask that messages of love be transmitted to one family member or another, ask that various minor trinkets (a dagger, a ring, that sort of thing) be given to certain friends or family.

Chilingsworth
2013-10-19, 09:25 AM
Ok, the bandits are done.

Calculating xp and treasure.

I think Dullahan deserves a share, since he did risk his life and all. (If you hadn't manage to decapitate the gang, and then offered surrender, they would have fought and gotten some hits on everyone, more likely than not.)

DawnRaven
2013-10-19, 09:28 AM
Your suffering will be momentary. Your benefits will last eternity. Rise and join me, Black Rings. I name you the Reformed. Raise your voices in worship to our God, the Unliving Baron!

“As undeath, what is so sweet, what creature would not choose it?
The wounded soul does weep,
when he is forced to lose it.
The bruised worm does strive
against fear ful
execution
and all choose to live
a life with loss of breath.

The crow that knows no guilt
Bemoans his mate a-dying
And never blood was spilt
But left the loser crying.

O' Lord of Bones
Cure these ills
And bring everlasting solution

If swans do sing 'tis but to crave of breath'
Inautia would not rob us of our dearest undeath.

She rise, shadows pooling around her feet and floating around her shoulders. As for these.. She frowns at the addicts. Let us deliver them to the Chapel. While we do this, Dralo, take Anya and Itnan as your guardians and ask around about these Deadheads, if you would?

Eril has a...unique..sense of mercy.

Chilingsworth
2013-10-19, 09:38 AM
Ok... XP: 3900 each.

Treasure: 17 sets of basic mook gear: leather armor, short sword, light crossbow, 20 bolts, dagger

Allec's gear: +1 rapier, mw shortbow, 40 arrows, mw studded leather, mw buckler

2 sets of enforcer's gear: mw falchion, mw chain shirt

17 basic mook bodies.
2 enforcer (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=685131) bodies
1 allec (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=684472) body (Unless you let him live? He was unconscious for your offer.)
7 Addict bodies (just lv 1 commoners, standard array ability scores, no items of note.)

Chilingsworth
2013-10-19, 09:42 AM
Not long after You deliver the surviving addicts to the chapel, and make arrangements for your new minions, you and Dullahan receive orders to mobilize, Arnil having encountered a potential threat in the form of the nation of Eliar.

Everyone please wrap up their activities before their deployment. When we continue, it will be after the events of the Battle of ... Roland's Fall.

DawnRaven
2013-10-19, 09:43 AM
Allec is left alive to be delivered to Sybille for judgement. The others only got their offer because of claims such as their families being forced into prostitution, etc. The addicts are brought alive to Il-Azasha (the Chapel) to be purged of addiction. The surviving bandits were turned into shadows (I think that is four of them?) The remaining bodies are sent to Il-Azasha for later processing into the queen's armies. The masterwork and magical items are taken, but the mundane items are sent with the corpses to be handled by the army.

Chilingsworth
2013-10-19, 09:52 AM
There were 14 surviving bandits. Only a few were killed by the addict mob.

I listed their bodies because I assumed you killed them.

Plus two surviving enforcers, ditto.

Basically, what happened:

Scouts from the safehouse come running in, warning that some scythe-wielding madwoman is coming for them. (After barricading the doors to said house, and setting snipers on nearby rooftops.)

Assuming you'll overpower their meager defenses, Allec orders the tunnel to be smoked with some of the product they have in the den.

The Addicts revolt.

Some of the bandits try to flee out the front door, but the enforcers stop them (also some addicts try fleeing with the same result.)

Some bandits take drugs to the secret entrance to begin smoking it out.
But get slaughtered by an addict mob (though they take addicts down with them.)

The surviving addicts by now have found stores of drugs, either in the crates or on the persons of the bandits that were going to smoke the tunnel. They start binging one them.

You entered, basically incap'ed the boss, burst in and offered surrender.

The rest, you know.

DawnRaven
2013-10-19, 09:52 AM
Anya! Raise the Order! Have them meet me in the Courtyard outside Il-Azasha. We shall raise our voices in praise before we head out.

When Eril preaches from a mobile pulpit before the church, the Order whispers about the darkness flowing around her. The Black Rose's shadow has lengthened and grown, containing many grasping limbs like a multi-headed hydra. They whisper to themselves calling her the Mistress of Shadows.

May the second voice of the Lord,
these new blades of his
crucify them all!
The tree that brings the gallows
is lost, a foreign
people forcibly try overthrown
the tomb. Though once filled with
undead, the city sits forsaken.
The crow plunders the baron's coven
the key of Inautia laments his
lost souls.

O what worthy laments!
Raise banner to his praise
March eternally for
His glory all mighty

More titles. MORE!

ChaiGuy
2013-10-19, 10:16 AM
Ok, the bandits are done.

Calculating xp and treasure.

I think Dullahan deserves a share, since he did risk his life and all. (If you hadn't manage to decapitate the gang, and then offered surrender, they would have fought and gotten some hits on everyone, more likely than not.)
It looks like in the last 2 hours there have been like 18 posts, how am I supposed to be involved if you don't give me a chance? If you guys plan on going on some kind of posting bing, not letting me do anything have DawnRaven give me a call or something.

Raunchel
2013-10-19, 10:19 AM
Sybille smiles when the criminal os delivered to her by Itnan. She looks at the papers that she's been given and says: "you are a traitor and a corruptor of my people. For that you will die. Itnan, end him in such a way that we can still use the body."

After het command is spoken Itnan strangles the man.

one question, can be be raised as some sort of nice undead? Otherwise heel go to the infantry.

DawnRaven
2013-10-19, 10:19 AM
Mostly figured that with how easy the combat was going to be, it'd be better to get it over quickly since Chilling & I tend to post pretty quickly/often. Eril's shadows pretty much took the fight on their own. At e6 level, there's not much that can handle Str damage from incorporeals, its one reason I went with Master of Shroud. Beyond low level they lose much of the oomph and are really sub-optimal to lose a caster level over.

Edit: Heck, with Eligor's AC he could have taken them all on his own probably.

Edit edit: After sales, Eligor & Eril get 2000 each.
Eril hands over the 130 pounds of drugs to the city's army, telling them to burn it outside of the town where no one is nearby.

ChaiGuy
2013-10-19, 10:22 AM
I understand that the combat was easy, but I had no chance to roleplay. :(

DawnRaven
2013-10-19, 10:27 AM
I understand that the combat was easy, but I had no chance to roleplay. :(

Sorry :X I was excited to get more shadow minions :D. Eril's "shadow" now is made up of no less than 7 curious critters.

Chilingsworth
2013-10-19, 10:27 AM
Sorry Chaiguy! I was expecting the encounter to be standard combat. When the terrified bandits were offered an out... any out, I went overboard in having them accept. :smallredface:

And as for what sort of undead Allec can be turned into... that's a matter of what you have the ability to make, and what Gaiya will allow. I posted his character sheet.

This concludes part one of "Problems in the Boneyard."

Part two will begin when I finish adjusting my plans for the current player list, (For example, is Stormaggedon joining us?) and we find out how this will interact with FoB turns

(with Dralo's report on the Deadheads.)

DawnRaven
2013-10-19, 10:36 AM
Storm is definitely joining if not leading, he's got the sneaky/know it all types.

ChaiGuy
2013-10-19, 11:02 AM
[QUOTE=DawnRaven;16247785]The Archon shakes her head silently, re-considering Dralo's effectiveness. Very...effective, Dralo. It sounds as if this new gang may be worth investigating only because they claim to have mages, undead and work near the Binder's alchemy plant. I do not know if this will lead us to what is messing with Wanderdust, however.

Maybe the Deadheads are stealing or buying undead from Binder and Binder?

DawnRaven
2013-10-19, 11:07 AM
Maybe the Deadheads are stealing or buying undead from Binder and Binder?

From what we unearthed, there doesn't seem to be any thefts directly from the factory. However, somehow, somewhere, the shipments of undead from B&B to Wanderdust are being interrupted. I am not the best at uncovering these sorts of secrets. I can only hope Mr. Black and Mr. Dorn assist our investigation.

Just realized what Chilling said earlier.Eril now has 16 shadows swarming around her shadow, under her feet.

Stormageddon
2013-10-19, 11:42 AM
I just found this thread

DawnRaven
2013-10-19, 11:46 AM
I just found this thread

I had planned to send it to you once we know how it'll progress :) There's an OOC too here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=307264) I have like..15 threads subbed for this game to keep an eye on what's going on OOCly. Its a pretty epic tapestry.

Chilingsworth
2013-10-21, 05:15 PM
Everyone receives a letter from Dralo.

My report is ready.
We've also found a relevant witness.
Please return to the Ministry for full information.

~Dralo

DawnRaven
2013-10-21, 06:36 PM
Eril receives the letter while in the Chapel courtyard, stretching her wings and exercising with her new scythe. She pauses to take the letter and read it, dismissing the messenger. I will deliver my response personally. This is something of immediate concern.

She takes off, shadowy wings leaving a faint trail of dark motes behind her as she heads to the Ministry. The necropolitan guards salute her as she enters. The Archon strides into the main chambers, indicating the first scribe she sees to attend her. Please bring me to Dralo.

Stormageddon
2013-10-21, 07:12 PM
Black receives the message as he is preparing for his next business venture.

Mr. Dorn lets go see what they want.

The short hooded man nods his head slightly. Black jumps on to the black wagon that is lined with skulls. Four undead horses pulling two wagons burst into motion towards the ministry.

As the wagons come to a halt in front of the ministry,black hops out.

keep an eye on the wagons.

six thickly robed figures in unison jump off the wagon and take up position.

Black enters the ministry ignoring the guards finds the person that invited him.

ChaiGuy
2013-10-22, 01:03 AM
Chaplain Dullahan was tending to the chapel’s stables when a messenger arrived. It seems that Dralo has summoned him to the Ministry. He thanks the messenger and sends him away. He informs the active priest of the chapel that he has been summoned. Before leaving on his warhorse he gives instructions to the stable attendants for the remaining duties, and heads for the Ministry.

When he arrives he hands his horse over to the attendant there and goes inside to meet Dralo.

Chilingsworth
2013-10-22, 01:24 AM
A functionary leads you to a comfortable conference room, where Dralo awaits you.

Ah, good day Archon, Chaplain, Itnan, Mr. Black

Right, so here's what I've learned: The Ashpot's underworld is indeed being taken over by a recently ascended gang. It appears they were no more than smalltime thugs until about a year ago. Since our encounter with the blackrings, we've had reports of rogue undead in the area, sometimes supported by divine spellcasters.

As for our witness... Ms. Haley, our contact at Binder's Accounting, recently turned up in a hospital with her tongue cut out and her hands cut off. Her life was saved, but she's unable to communicate effectively. We don't have anyone able to restore her lost functions, either. Our research division has recommended attempting to find a telepath or someone otherwise skilled in means of alternative communication to enable us to learn what she knows.

Stormageddon
2013-10-22, 01:38 AM
Black's face remains impassive as this new is relieved.

I believe my associate Mr. Dorn can use a limited amount of telepathy.

The short man wearing a heavy brown robe nods his head.

Raunchel
2013-10-22, 02:24 AM
"We can kill her and then do the interrogation, or make her write with her stumps. A lack of hands and tongue is no excuse to not communicate with those who serve the queen.", Itnan declares with his hollowe voice.

Chilingsworth
2013-10-22, 02:35 AM
We considered the kill and interrogate option. Unfortunately, after testing on a tongueless corpse (formerly a prisoner, tongue removed pre-mortum), we found the efficacy of speak with dead badly wanting.

As for trying to get her to write with her stumps...

He pulls out a piece of parchment. It is covered in utterly indecipherable squiggles and scratches.

This is the result when we tried.

Mr. Dorn, what exactly are you able to do?

Stormageddon
2013-10-22, 02:45 AM
Uncomfortable silence is the only result from the question asked directly to Dorn.

After a minute Black speaks up.

Mr. Dorn has a trick to read the surface thoughts of people. Comes in handy with tough negotiations.

ChaiGuy
2013-10-22, 09:49 AM
In addition to Mr. Dorn's telepethy, we could ask Ms. Haley yes/no questions and have her nod for yes, shake head for no. Not as good as full communication, but it could give us some information.

Chilingsworth
2013-10-22, 07:10 PM
Dralo nods

Very well, it appears we have two possible avenues of action. Shall we put them to use?

DawnRaven
2013-10-22, 09:28 PM
Dralo nods

Very well, it appears we have two possible avenues of action. Shall we put them to use?

Yes. It seems as if Eligor's suggestion and Mr. Dunn's talents will come in use here.

Stormageddon
2013-10-22, 09:33 PM
Yes minister please let us get on with this as I'm sure you did summon us here to discuss hypothetical solutions to this problem. Please lead the way.

Chilingsworth
2013-10-22, 09:39 PM
Dralo nods

He leads you to a small, but comfortable room. The room consists of a bed, a chair, and a small table. You see a dark skinned woman who's arms have been cut off just below the elbow. She also only seems capable of producing gurgling sounds. A young woman bearing a wooden pendant in the shape of a coiled couatl is attending the injured woman.

You recognize the women as Haley and Sandra (the Ministry's head healer), respectively.

The healer turns to you. Archon, what a surprise! Is there something I can help you with today?

DawnRaven
2013-10-23, 07:16 AM
Sandra, Hello. We are here to speak to the woman who was assaulted. She nods to the one in the bed. We were hoping to use some talents and simple yes-n questions to help get information out of her. Eligor, if you would begin since this was your idea?

ChaiGuy
2013-10-23, 12:36 PM
Chaplain Dullahan solemnly removes his horned helmet. He nods respectfully to the healer, Greetings Sandra, we have come to help this poor woman bring the perpetrators of this grave offense to justice. He walks to the head of the bead, his heavy armor rustles quietly, and kneels, so that his is eye level with Haley. He speaks reassuringly with a compassionate look in his eyes, I am sure that this could be an unpleasant topic and your condition will make it difficult to communicate with us, but I only ask yes or no questions that you can answer with a nod or a shake of the head.

Did the people who did this crime where black rings? Did this attack happen at your home? Did this attack happen while you where traveling? (a series of questions to identify the location of the attack). Did this attack occur during the day? Did this attack occur at night? (a series of questions to identify the time of the attack). Did they have any recognizable tattoos, jewelry, or clothing? (A series of questions that weed out known symbols of local gangs). We thank you for your cooperation, please address any of the questions my fellow companions have as well.

Diplomacy if required [roll0]

Chilingsworth
2013-10-23, 01:43 PM
Did the people who did this crime where black rings?
No.
Did this attack happen at your home?
Yes (You can learn that her address is 345 North Road, Woods District.)
Did this attack occur at night?
Yes (You learn that it happened some time late at night. She doesn't know specifically.)
Did they have any recognizable tattoos, jewelry, or clothing? (A series of questions that weed out known symbols of local gangs)
No (She identifies no known gang symbols.)

During this, Sandra is on hand to keep Haley as comfortable as possible.

Stormageddon
2013-10-24, 01:19 PM
Black goes over to the woman.

My business partner is going to be using one of his tricks. It will help us know what you are thinking. I will be asking you to think of things. It may feel uncomfortable at first but do not resist him. Mr. Dorn if you will.

Mr. Dorn starts speaking his spell a ghostly grinding voice comes from behind the hood.

After about 1/4 minute Mr. Dorn nods his head.

Casting Detect thoughts DC 16.

Mr. Black will ask her to think about the following:

Think about the attack.

Think about what the attackers looked like.

Think about what they wanted.

Anyone else can add in here.

Chilingsworth
2013-10-25, 01:31 AM
Mr. Dorn determines that Haley is a thinking creature with an intelligence score of 13.

(Results of his three questions):

You see darkened field of vision, she is sleeping.
Suddenly, she is awoken by the sound of her door being broken down.
She dimly sees six figures enter her room.
Two of them, moaning, drag her out of bed and then out of her house.
Two more of them torch her house.

Between the moonlight and the fire, she can see her six attackers.
Two of them are hideous, skeletons scraps of flesh the only thing covering their bare bones.
One of them is a person in a dark cloak, with a strange pendant on his(?) neck. (Make a Knowledge (Religion) check.)
The other three look like street toughs.

(she's starting to suffer from the flashback.)

Her attackers threaten her, and tell her she wont get to rat them out.

She starts remembering what they did to her, and her thoughts become incoherent and horror-filled.

Something about this horrifying. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3clVvh5gbGE)

Stormageddon
2013-10-25, 01:55 AM
Know Religion Check Dorn [roll0]

Mr. Dorn relays this information to Mr. Black who fills the group in on the what Dorn learned.

Thank you for your service to Arnil, my lady.

He turns to the healer.

She has served us well I recommend that she be killed, and placed among the honored undead.

Mr. Black Know Religion Check [roll1]

DawnRaven
2013-10-25, 04:22 PM
Hmn..I suppose we could investigate her home for clues. Do we know why she was attacked?

Stormageddon
2013-10-25, 04:30 PM
Archon, my best guest is that it might have something to do with religious symbol on one of her attackers.

DawnRaven
2013-10-25, 04:52 PM
That's possible, but I do not know if it will give us any clues to tracking or finding these bastards.

Hm..you rolled pretty poor on your checks so Eril will give the Know (religion) a try too: [roll0]

Chilingsworth
2013-10-25, 05:25 PM
You recognize the symbol as that of the Vile God.

Sandra speaks up:

Didn't you say she was attacked to silence her? Maybe the information she has still exists?

She then goes back to comforting Haley as best she can.

ChaiGuy
2013-10-26, 12:51 AM
Perhaps if we have taken enough of Ms. Haley’s time, I’m sure that this has been a difficult task for her.

Once they leave Ms. Haley’s room (if that is OK). Maybe investigating her house will bring more clues and more importantly questioning her neighbors we will find additional witnesses to the crime.

if a description of the holy symbol can be given [roll0]

DawnRaven
2013-10-26, 04:57 PM
No, Chaplain. Simply knowing her attackers does not get to the information we want. Haley, have you seen the symbol of the Vile one in the city?

Eril waits for each movement of the head before moving to the next question.
Did you recognize any of these men? Did you see the symbol on a building? On a person? In the boneyard?

Did you see a crime committed? Did this happen in (Eril will ask about each district of the city). Was this near Wanderdust? Near Binder & Binder?

Did you see something you shouldn't have? Hear something you shouldn't have?