PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Aasimar Summoner

Kazehito
2013-10-04, 04:23 PM
Aasimar summoners as a favored class bonus can get 1/2 DR/evil each level in order to increase damage resistance on the creature. The question that I have about this is, does that mean that evil creatures bypass the DR or does the weapon itself have to have an evil alignment? And if so, why would you ever take this, as most things you fight would be considered evil.

Psyren
2013-10-04, 04:33 PM
No - it only refers to magically aligned weapons, or the natural weapons of subtyped creatures (generally, outsiders.) PRD:

Damage Reduction (Ex or Su)
Some monsters are vulnerable to good-, evil-, chaotically, or lawfully aligned weapons. When a cleric casts align weapon, affected weapons might gain one or more of these properties, and certain magic weapons have these properties as well. A creature with an alignment subtype (chaotic, evil, good, or lawful) can overcome this type of damage reduction with its natural weapons and weapons it wields as if the weapons or natural weapons had an alignment (or alignments) that matched the subtype(s) of the creature.

Grollub
2013-10-05, 12:09 AM
what if your evil, then most things you fight would be good, and not bypass your DR :smallcool:

Kazehito
2013-10-05, 10:04 AM
This may be a stupid question, but I'm still fairly new at these games. How would I tell if the creature was subtyped evil. If I was looking at their entry in the Beastiary, what would I be looking for, for example. Thanks for taking the time to help me understand this.

Psyren
2013-10-05, 11:33 AM
This may be a stupid question, but I'm still fairly new at these games. How would I tell if the creature was subtyped evil. If I was looking at their entry in the Beastiary, what would I be looking for, for example. Thanks for taking the time to help me understand this.

Generally, it's right after their creature type in the statblock. For example, take a look at the Devil (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/monsters/devil.html) entry on the PRD - the very first one, Barbed Devil, has a type of "Outsider (devil, evil, extraplanar, lawful.)" The two bold are the two important ones for you to note for DR purposes.

Kazehito
2013-10-11, 11:56 PM
I know that the Aasimar summoners as a favored class bonus get 1/2 DR/evil each level for the eidolon. Alot of abilities for many classes are a minimum of 1. For this bonus, does it mean that its a minimum of one as well, and I get 1DR/evil at first level and then 2DR/evil at level 4, or does it not get to 1DR/evil until 2nd level?

Frosty
2013-10-12, 12:02 AM
I know that the Aasimar summoners as a favored class bonus get 1/2 DR/evil each level for the eidolon. Alot of abilities for many classes are a minimum of 1. For this bonus, does it mean that its a minimum of one as well, and I get 1DR/evil at first level and then 2DR/evil at level 4, or does it not get to 1DR/evil until 2nd level?Up to your DM. And yeah, this ability ROCKS in an evil campaign. I am currently in one, and that DR 1/Evil will make my early career SOOOO much easier :smallbiggrin:

Squirrel_Dude
2013-10-12, 12:51 AM
I know that the Aasimar summoners as a favored class bonus get 1/2 DR/evil each level for the eidolon. Alot of abilities for many classes are a minimum of 1. For this bonus, does it mean that its a minimum of one as well, and I get 1DR/evil at first level and then 2DR/evil at level 4, or does it not get to 1DR/evil until 2nd level?Unless it says that the minimum is 1, it's zero, and even then you will round down almost every other level after that. Unless it says otherwise, it is safe to assume that a bonus that becomes fractional will be rounded down.

Keneth
2013-10-12, 05:36 AM
what if your evil, then most things you fight would be good, and not bypass your DR :smallcool:

Sadly, being evil rarely means you'll be fighting a lot of good creatures. It just means you'll be fighting a few good creatures in addition to the usual amount of evil (and neutral) ones.

Souju
2013-10-12, 06:11 AM
I know that the Aasimar summoners as a favored class bonus get 1/2 DR/evil each level for the eidolon. Alot of abilities for many classes are a minimum of 1. For this bonus, does it mean that its a minimum of one as well, and I get 1DR/evil at first level and then 2DR/evil at level 4, or does it not get to 1DR/evil until 2nd level?

favored class bonuses that have a fraction mean you have to take the bonus each level until it's a whole number. Using this ability as an example, you get a +1/2 bonus each level, meaning if you take it the favored class bonus each level, you get your +1 at each even numbered level. Yes, this means you basically get no bonus on odd numbered levels. Unless it SAYS "minimum 1", you round off decimals. Not down, off.

grarrrg
2013-10-12, 12:14 PM

Using this ability as an example, you get a +1/2 bonus each level, meaning if you take it the favored class bonus each level, you get your +1 at each even numbered level. Yes, this means you basically get no bonus on odd numbered levels.

Read carefully.

Summoner Add DR 1/evil to the summoner's eidolon. Each additional time the summoner selects this benefit, the DR/evil increases by +1/2 (maximum DR 10/evil).

1st level gets you 1 whole point.
2nd level gets you +1/2, which on it's own does nothing.
3rd level is another +1/2, which combined with the gain from 2nd level is a whole point.

So every ODD level, you get an extra +1.

The cap of DR 10 means that you can take this bonus for 19 levels, but you need to choose something else for level 20.

Unless it SAYS "minimum 1", you round off decimals. Not down, off.
No, for 3.5/PF round all fractions DOWN.
Rounding OFF would be rounding numbers 'normally', which means a .5 WOULD become a 1, as .5's are rounded up.