PDA

View Full Version : attention every city of heroes/villain fan out there

8balls
2013-10-04, 05:28 PM
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/missingworldsmedia/the-phoenix-project-city-of-titans?ref=recently_launched

It can return with your help, a new kickstarter has opened up that will bring back CoX, if you can't help with money then do as I do and spread the word to other forums so that the word will spread

Mando Knight
2013-10-04, 06:35 PM
I think they're massively underestimating their costs. Not that they're being deceptive about them, I just think that they don't quite know what they're getting into.

Metahuman1
2013-10-04, 07:26 PM
Even so I'll throw support behind it. If for nothing else then to tell the City of Hero's/Villains Owners to Kiss It.

Quinch
2013-10-04, 10:57 PM
I think they're massively underestimating their costs. Not that they're being deceptive about them, I just think that they don't quite know what they're getting into.

Eh, it's possible, but not necessarily. I'll copypaste a comment I made elsewhere.
---
Keep in mind that it's a volunteer effort - so wages, the by far biggest money sink in game development is automatically removed from the equation.

They're also licensing the existing Unreal engine, rather than developing their own, freeing up more resources toward gameplay design and content development.

Thirdly, without a publisher and countless layers of {micro}management that come with one, development is much faster without constantly shifting instructions from above.

And finally, keep in mind that this isn't a AAA production - the immediate goal is to produce a core game, something that doesn't need to rake in millions at launch, but be sustainable enough to support further development. It seems a lot of the content will be crowdsourced both before and after launch as well, a model that's been working out incredibly well for online games lately.

So, while still I have doubts about how and whether the game will turn out, the budget goal is actually realistic.

Tengu_temp
2013-10-05, 02:48 AM
They will probably gather a massive amount of cash above their expected goals anyway.

Now, there's one thing I'm curious about... What did CoX do better than CO? Is there something this game will do better than CO?

Mando Knight
2013-10-05, 11:41 AM
They will probably gather a massive amount of cash above their expected goals anyway.

Now, there's one thing I'm curious about... What did CoX do better than CO? Is there something this game will do better than CO?
Playable villains, perhaps? Crowdsourced content so you can get that thing you really want, if you make it?

Cryptic hired a bunch of ex-Paragon guys and acquired Flying Labs (respun as Cryptic North), to give Champions the ongoing development work it had been lacking since Neverwinter was announced (at least).

SlyGuyMcFly
2013-10-05, 01:26 PM
Ohmygoshohmygoshohmygosh. There was talk of a proyect of this type when CoX got taken down, but I never expected it to actually, y'know, happen. I don't even care how remote the odds of this working are.

Mostly tone, IMO. CO basically has two settings, far as I can tell. Self-aware superhero camp and pop culture parody. CoX overall had much better variety in tone, and especially in the later years, much better execution.

In fairness, it's been a year or two since I last played CO and I didn't play for that long, so pinch of salt and all that.

Xylric
2013-10-11, 06:49 PM
It has been some time since I've been back to the Playground.

The reason why the Kickstarter goal seems so low is because it is purely intended for the acquisition of the tools necessary to complete the project on a timely basis. It is not intended to fund the entire project, there are other plans for that. Although I suppose that if it does hit $32 million, there's an unstated stretch goal in which everyone quits their job and relocates to Seattle to focus on the development of the game full-time, but what would I know?

I'm only the guy who makes sure that the bills get paid.

If Quinch is who I believe Quinch is, the information provided in the post is very accurate.