PDA

View Full Version : Shadow Magic Question: Shadowcasters and "Arcane or Divine" prerequisites

Xuldarinar
2013-10-04, 09:42 PM
This specific point I felt should have some attention.

Shadowcasters are a breed apart and do not always qualify for prestige classes that are available to more common magic users.
Levels in shadowcaster qualify a character for prestige classes with the following entry requirements.

A caster level requirement, if no type (arcane or divine) is specified.
Ability to cast spells of X level, if no type (arcane or divine) is specified.

Now. For the most part this is fairly simple.

Prerequisite|Can Shadowcasters Qualify
Arcane Caster Level|No
Divine Caster Level|No
Caster Level|Yes
Able to cast x-level arcane spells|No
Able to cast x-level divine spells|No
Able to cast x-level spells|Yes
able to cast x-level mysteries|Yes

What I'm left to wonder is when we have something that says: 'arcane or divine caster level', or 'able to cast x-level arcane or divine spells'. Granted, those sorts of prerequisites are rare, but they do exist. Can shadowcasters meet the prerequisites?

Kuulvheysoon
2013-10-04, 09:58 PM
I'd say that it's pretty clear, by RAW. They cannot qualify unless it's untyped. Arcane or Divine is still typing it.

Fax Celestis
2013-10-04, 10:10 PM
I'd say that it's pretty clear, by RAW. They cannot qualify unless it's untyped. Arcane or Divine is still typing it.

Back when CustServ was still taking questions, I asked about this. They stated that the "arcane or divine" requirement was put in place because there wasn't anything else at the time and they didn't think there would be. Specifically, I asked about the Shadow Adept prestige class, which requires "arcane or divine spells".

RAWdiculous, no, shadowcasters don't qualify for "arcane or divine". RAI, sure, they can qualify. and if you're worried about breaking anything, you're not going to break anything with a shadowcaster. Nothing you couldn't've done with a wizard or cleric already.

The Shadowmind
2013-10-04, 11:21 PM
Most powerful thing that a straight Shadowcaster gets is the 9th level Mystery, Black Labyrinth.
Just read it:http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20070307a

Xuldarinar
2013-10-12, 07:36 PM
Digging around, I found in Dragon 322 the Shadow Apostate. 5/5 casting, and prerequisites a shadowcaster can meet with ease (except: "The ability to cast 3rd-level arcane or divine spells, including at least three spells with the darkness descriptor or shadow sub school descriptor.") Among other things, they gain the capacity to summon darkness pseudo-elementals, something I think would prove interesting for a shadowcaster.