PDA

View Full Version : Do you remember this combo?

Devronq
2013-10-04, 11:49 PM
I remember reading about some trick and it used spellthief/master spell thief and some bard like PRC class to gain a crazy caster level of like 60 or something does anyone know what this is?

gorfnab
2013-10-04, 11:55 PM
Sublime Chord
Knight of the Weave
Ultimate Magus

I'll see if I can find the link to a thread I saw it in. (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=9983.0)

Fax Celestis
2013-10-04, 11:57 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95070

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-10-05, 12:02 AM
Sublime Chord, Complete Arcane, and whoever first came up with it didn't know the difference between the level that determines your spells/day and highest level spells, and your caster level, because it does not work at all.

Master Spellthief states your arcane spellcaster levels stack with your Spellthief level for determining your caster level in all arcane spellcasting classes. Your spellcaster level is the level you use to determine spells/day and highest level spells available.

Sublime Chord is similar:
"A sublime chord’s caster level for both her sublime chord spells and the spells she gains from other arcane spellcasting classes is determined by adding her sublime chord level to her level in another arcane spellcasting class. If she had more than one arcane spellcasting class before becoming a sublime chord, she must choose to which class to add her sublime chord levels for the purpose of determining her sublime chord spellcaster level."

Again, it adds your actual level in one arcane spellcasting class, not your caster level, and not even prestige class levels that advance spellcasting in that other arcane spellcasting class.

Also note that both of these effects set your caster level to a specific total, they don't just add on top of each other. For example, let's say you have a Spellthief 1/ Bard 8/ Wizard 1/ Sublime Chord 10 with Master Spellthief. Sublime Chord sets your caster level in each class to 18, the total of your Bard and Sublime Chord levels. Master Spellthief sets your caster level in each class to 20, the total of your Spellthief level plus your arcane spellcaster levels (not just caster level) in other arcane classes.

The two don't combine to add your levels together multiple times. The original trick presumed that Sublime chord would set each class to 18, and then Master Spellthief would add 18 per four classes for a total caster level of 72, but as I said whoever did the math that way didn't understand the difference between similarly named values because it's not the case.