PDA

View Full Version : The Nightblade (3.5 D&D Base Class) PEACH

Alabenson
2013-10-05, 12:06 AM
The Nightblade

Nightblades are martial adepts who combine their knowledge of the sublime way with more practical, though some would say underhanded, fighting styles. While they lack to the direct fighting prowess of a crusader or a warblade, they make up for this with stealth, precision, and a level of practical skill that few can match.

Adventures: Nightblades adventure for many of the same reasons that rogues do, i.e. to seek wealth and excitement. Furthermore, some nightblades see adventuring as the best way to test their abilities both in and out of combat.

Characteristics: Like rogues, nightblades possess a wide assortment of skills, although not quite to the same degree that rogues or factotums do. Furthermore, nightblades wield an assortment of lethal martial maneuvers which enables them to challenge opponents in combat that common thieves could never hope to oppose.

Alignment: Nightblades can be of any alignment, although many tend to favor chaos over law, particularly those with strong connections to thieves’ guilds.

Religion: Few nightblades are particularly religious, preferring to trust in their own abilities rather than rely on divine providence. Occasionally, however, a nightblade will choose to follow a deity of thieve or assassins such as Olidammara. These instances are typically the result of a cleric of such a deity being part of the nightblade’s guild.

Background: Many nightblades were initially trained as swordsages, but for one reason or another were unable or unwilling to hold to the rigorous discipline required. Such dropouts often find themselves actively recruited by thieves’ guilds, who greatly value the martial skills that even incomplete swordsage training imparts. Those who join the guilds learn to augment the half-remembered lessons from their apprenticeship with the underhanded tactics common to the criminal underworld.

Races: Like swordsages, most nightblades are humans, who find their natural adaptability readily enables them to combine the nightblade’s disparate skill sets. Elves, halflings and half-elves comprise most other nightblades, although other races aren’t unheard of.

Other Classes: Nightblade’s tend to get along well with other self-reliant or stealthy classes, such as barbarians, factotums and sorcerers. Rogues, however, are sometimes uneasy around nightblades as the latter are frequently used as enforcers by thieves’ guilds. On the other hand, swordsages often look down on nightblades as undisciplined thugs.

Role: Like rogues, nightblades make excellent scouts thanks to their stealth and trap detection abilities. Furthermore, their martial skills enable them to hold their own in close combat, although perhaps not quite as well as other followers of the Sublime Way.

GAME RULE INFORMATION
Nightblades have the following game statistics
Abilities: Intelligence is by far the most important ability for a nightblade, as it not only governs their skill points, but also improves their combat ability and skills. Dexterity and Constitution are also valuable to a nightblade, as they improve their AC and hit points respectively.
Alignment: Nightblades can be of any alignment.
Hit Die: D8
Starting Age: As bard
Starting Gold: As cleric

Class Skills:
Balance, Bluff, Climb, Concentration, Craft, Disable Device, Escape Artist, Forgery, Hide, Intimidate, Jump, Knowledge (local), Listen, Martial Lore, Move Silently, Open Lock, Profession, Search, Sense Motive, Sleight of Hand, Spot, Swim, Tumble, Use Rope
Skill Points at 1st level: (8 + Intelligence Modifier) x4
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 8 + Intelligence Modifier

LevelBABFortRefWillSpecialManeuvers Known Maneuvers Readied Stances Known

1st+0+0+2+0 Sneak Attack +1d6, Trapfinding 3 31

2nd+1+0+3+0 Clever Strikes 4 31

3rd+2+1+3+1 Evasion 5 31

4th+3+1+4+1 Clever Athletics 5 41

5th+3+1+4+1 Sneak Attack +2d6 6 42

6th+4+2+5+2 Clever Strikes (Int to AC) 6 42

7th+5+2+5+2 Darkstalker (B) 7 42

8th+6+2+6+2 Clever Athletics 7 42

9th+6 +3+6 +3 Sneak Attack +3d6
8 42

10th+7+3+7+3 Clever Strikes (additional discipline) 8 53

11th+8+3+7+3 Improved Evasion 9 53

12th+9+4+8+4 Clever Athletics 9 53

13th+9+4+8+4 Sneak Attack +4d6 10 53

14th+10+4+9+4 Clever Strikes (improved critical) 10 53

15th+11+5+9+5 Hide in Plain Sight 11 64

16th+12+5+10+5 Clever Athletics
11 64

17th+12+5+10+5 Sneak Attack +5d6 12 64

18th+13+6+11+6 Brilliant Strikes 12 64

19th+14+6+11+6 Free Movement 13 64

20th+15+6+12+6 Clever Athletics, Surprise Assault 13 75

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: Nightblades are proficient with all simple weapons, plus the handaxe, kama, kukri, nunchaku, rapier, sai, short sword, siangham, spiked chain, and trident. A nightblade is proficient with light armor, but not shields.

Maneuvers: A nightblade begins with knowledge of three martial maneuvers. The disciplines available to him are Diamond Mind, Setting Sun, Shadow Hand, and Tiger Claw.
Once he knows a maneuver, he must ready it before it can be used. A maneuver usable by nightblades is considered an extraordinary ability unless otherwise noted in its description. His maneuvers are not affected by spell resistance, and he does not provoke attacks of opportunity when he initiates one.
Upon reaching 4th level, and at every even-numbered nightblade level after that (6th, 8th, 10th, and so on), he can choose to learn a new maneuver in place of one he already knows. In effect, he loses the old maneuver of any level he likes, as long as he observes the restriction on the highest level maneuvers he knows; he need not replace the old maneuver with a maneuver of the same level. For example, upon reaching 10th level, he could trade in a single 1st-, 2nd-, 3rd-, or 4th-level maneuver for a maneuver of 5th level or lower, as long as he meets the prerequisite of the new maneuver. He can swap only a single maneuver at any given level.

Maneuvers Readied: A nightblade can ready all three of the maneuvers he knows at 1st level, but as he advances in level and learns more maneuvers, he must choose which maneuvers to ready. He readies his maneuvers by meditating and exercising for 5 minutes. The maneuvers he chooses remain readied until he decides to meditate again and change them. He need not sleep or rest for any long period of time to ready his maneuvers; any time he spends 5 minutes in practice, he can change his readied maneuvers.
He begins an encounter with all his readied maneuvers unexpended, regardless of how many times he might have already used them since he chose them. When he initiates a maneuver, he expends it for the current encounter, so each of his readied maneuvers can be used once per encounter (until he recovers them, as described below).
A nightblade can recover all expended maneuvers by expending a swift action after moving at least 10 feet in the same round. A nightblade cannot initiate a maneuver or change his stance while he is recovering his expended maneuvers, but he can remain in a stance in which he began his turn.

Stances Known: A nightblade begins play with knowledge of one 1st-level stance from any discipline open to him. At 5th, 10th, 15th, and 20th level, a nightblade can choose additional stances. Unlike maneuvers, stances are not expended, and they do not need to be readied. All the stances a nightblade knows are available to him at all times, and he can change the stance he is currently using as a swift action. A stance is an extraordinary ability unless otherwise stated in the stance description.

Sneak Attack (Ex): A nightblade deals an extra 1d6 points of damage when flanking an opponent or at any time when the target would be denied its Dexterity bonus. This extra damage applies to ranged attacks only if the target is within 30 feet. It increases to 2d6 points at 5th level, 3d6 points at 9th level, 4d6 points at 13th level, and 5d6 points at 17th level. If a nightblade gets a sneak attack bonus from another source (such as rogue levels), the bonuses on damage stack.

Trapfinding (Ex): A nightblade can use the Search skill to locate traps with a DC higher than 20, and he can use Disable Device to bypass a trap or disarm magic traps.

Clever Strikes (Ex): At 2nd level, a nightblade chooses one of the nightblade disciplines (Diamond Mind, Setting Sun, Shadow Hand, Tiger Claw). The nightblade gains the ability to use their Intelligence modifier in place of their Strength modifier on attack and damage rolls made with that discipline’s associated weapons. Furthermore, if the nightblade initiates a maneuver from the chosen discipline that allows a saving throw, the nightblade may determine the saving throw DC with their Intelligence modifier in place of the listed ability.
At 6th level, a nightblade gains the ability to add their Intelligence modifier to their AC as a dodge bonus whenever they are in one of their chosen discipline’s stances.
At 10th level, the nightblade may select an additional discipline to apply their Clever Strikes benefits to.
At 14th level, the nightblade doubles the critical threat range for the associated weapons of the disciplines they selected for their Clever Strikes ability. This does not stack with similar effects, such as the Improved Critical feat or the keen magical weapon property.

Evasion (Ex): At 3rd level and higher, a nightblade can avoid even magical and unusual attacks with great agility. If he makes a successful Reflex saving throw against an attack that normally deals half damage on a successful save, he instead takes no damage. Evasion can only be used if the nightblade is wearing light or no armor. A helpless nightblade (such as one who is unconscious or paralyzed) does not gain the benefit of evasion.

Clever Athletics (Ex): At 4th level, a nightblade selects one skill based on Strength or Dexterity, such as Climb or Hide. The nightblade gains the ability to add their Intelligence modifier as a bonus to that skill. At 8th level and every 4th level afterwards (12, 16, 20), the nightblade gains the bonus to an additional skill.

Darkstalker: At 7th level, a nightblade gains Darkstalker (Lords of Madness pg. 179) as a bonus feat.

Improved Evasion (Ex): At 11th level, a nightblade’s evasion ability improves. He still takes no damage on a successful Reflex saving throw against attacks such as a dragon’s breath weapon or a fireball, but henceforth he takes only half damage on a failed save. A helpless nightblade (such as one who is unconscious or paralyzed) does not gain the benefit of improved evasion.

Hide in Plain Sight (Ex): At 15th level, a nightblade gains the ability to use the Hide skill even while being observed.

Brilliant Strikes (Ex): At 18th level, a nightblade learns how to deal incredible amounts of damage with the weapons associated with their disciplines. The critical multiplier for any weapon the nightblade wields that is affected by their Clever Strikes ability increases by one.

Free Movement (Ex): At 19th level and higher, a nightblade can slip out of bonds, grapples, and even the effects of confining spells easily. This ability duplicates the effect of a freedom of movement spell, except that it is always active. A nightblade loses this benefit when wearing medium or heavy armor or when carrying a medium or heavy load.

Surprise Assault (Ex): At 20th level, a nightblade masters the art of taking advantage of an opponent’s lack of awareness. The nightblade develops the ability to initiate a strike against a flat-footed opponent without expending the maneuver. The nightblade may use this ability a number of times per day equal to his Intelligence modifier.

JoshuaZ
2013-10-05, 09:53 PM
There are some homebrew disciplines that may make sense as options here:

Black Lotus (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=217619), Bloodstained Gutter (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=220910), Falling Star (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2502689), Fox's Guile (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=223452) and Wandering Eye (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10181205&postcount=16) all seem like potentially good options to add.

ngilop
2013-10-06, 12:45 PM
THis is a very good and balanced class I have to say. I do not really see much that I have to gripe about.

A good selection of skills, nice skill points. decent choice of disciplines.

My only concern is: Is this class supposed to replace the rogue in your campaign world?

If so then perfect you managed to make a IMO 'tier' 3 rogue ( i would add on some of the rogue's special abilities as well ~maybe steal some of the PF one in addition)

if not then how are you going to make your rogue look attractive enough to make a player want to be a Rogue over the Nightblade?

Overall again I think you made a very solid class. it downright amazing when you consider that this is your first homebrew. congratulations man

Alabenson
2013-10-06, 01:16 PM
THis is a very good and balanced class I have to say. I do not really see much that I have to gripe about.

A good selection of skills, nice skill points. decent choice of disciplines.

My only concern is: Is this class supposed to replace the rogue in your campaign world?

If so then perfect you managed to make a IMO 'tier' 3 rogue ( i would add on some of the rogue's special abilities as well ~maybe steal some of the PF one in addition)

if not then how are you going to make your rogue look attractive enough to make a player want to be a Rogue over the Nightblade?

Overall again I think you made a very solid class. it downright amazing when you consider that this is your first homebrew. congratulations man

I don't really consider this class the rogue replacement so much as its a rogue replacement, given that the factotum and the beguiler have already made the rogue largely obsolete. The idea of the class was to fill what I saw as a missing niche in Tier-3; a skillmonkey class with a focus on martial combat.

I hope to eventually get around to working on a revamp of the rogue at some point in the future however.

ngilop
2013-10-06, 02:22 PM
Well I wish you the best in your future rogue rework. I would just stress once again that you need to really figur eout how you are going to make the rogue just a valid a choice as your Nightblade.

mostly due to the fact you will have 2 'tier'3 3 martial focused skill/trap monkeys

but I have high hopes for you.

Alabenson
2014-10-30, 05:41 PM
I've made some final changes to the Nightblade;

* Sleight of Hand is now a class skill.
* In addition to its prior effects, Clever Strikes now allows a Nightblade to use Intelligence in place of other ability scores when determining the DC of a maneuver that allows a saving throw.
* Added fluff material.
* Updated the table to the new format.

Alabenson
2022-10-18, 11:06 AM
After a review, I've decided I wasn't happy with the Nightblade's Clever Strikes ability as written. By level 14, the Nightblade would be able to apply the ability to all four of the class' disciplines, which meant that choosing which disciplines to apply the ability to wasn't particularly significant. To make the choice more meaningful, I've changed it so that the Nightblade chooses one discipline at level 2 and a second at level 10, but not at levels 6 and 14. Instead, the Nightblade now gains their Int to AC when in one of the chosen discipline's stances at level 6 and the benefit of Improved Critical with the discipline's weapons at level 14.

Alabenson
2023-03-17, 10:21 AM
With my final playtest of the Nightblade just about wrapping up, I thought I’d share some of my thoughts on how the class turned out.

Overall, the nightblade performed how I had originally wanted it to. In combat, the nightblade was far more consistently useful than a rogue would have been, especially in circumstances where sneak attack wasn’t possible (either because the target was immune or the setup requirements couldn’t be met). At the same time, the nightblade wasn’t so effective that they were overshadowing the dedicated melee classes, with their damage being fairly average until the very high levels, when shadow blink + time stands still came online. Even with that combo, however, the nightblade’s damage output wasn’t too far removed from what a TWF rogue could accomplish. Combat-wise, the main weakness the nightblade has is it doesn’t have many options if it can’t engage in melee, an issue it shares with the other martial adept classes. Outside of combat, the nightblade isn’t quite as versatile. It has it’s areas where it can function, but the nightblade isn’t equipped to handle the more social roles the rogue can, which was by design.

Overall, I’d call the nightblade a success. The class was almost always able to contribute, and encounters where it was ineffective it wasn’t nearly as frustrating as the frequent “you can’t use sneak attack so go sit in a corner” situations that rogues tend to deal with.