PDA

View Full Version : Dicefreak is dead [3.5]

Arcanist
2013-10-05, 01:16 AM
The site is dead, has been dead for 2 weeks and it appears to not be coming back any time soon. Is their any organized effort to drain the dead site of whatever Google cache will allow? If not, why not? :smallconfused:

Tvtyrant
2013-10-05, 02:12 AM
I don't really go in for super high level D&D stuff, and I am working full time. Others will probably give you different answers, but it is a lot of effort to got to save something I never used or other than some demon princes even looked at.

Kain Darkwind
2013-10-22, 03:14 PM
The host site is attempting a $100 extortion fee to return something that is already ours. Unfortunately, we're probably not going to be able to do that.

We have a facebook group you can join, and currently the site is over at Freeforums (http://dicefreaks.freeforums.org/index.php), though for obvious reasons...not quite what it used to be.

So we're not dead, but definitely wounded.

Psyren
2013-10-22, 04:12 PM
What was on there anyway? I confess to never having really visited dicefreak.

Yuki Akuma
2013-10-22, 04:15 PM

A lot of homebrew. Generally considered high-quality.

Ansem
2013-10-22, 06:36 PM
This is why you always go for quality and well-known hosts and stay away from crap like free stuff or hostgator and the likes. Also, ALWAYS, weekly FTP and DB dump backup.

The Glyphstone
2013-10-22, 06:39 PM

Lots of homebrew, mostly high-level, epic, and super-epic material. Usable for a very tiny minority of games, but exceeding high-quality for what it was.

JoshuaZ
2013-10-22, 06:52 PM
The host site is attempting a $100 extortion fee to return something that is already ours. Unfortunately, we're probably not going to be able to do that.

Have people considered raising money?

Illarion
2013-10-22, 08:07 PM
Have people considered raising money?

Why would you want to pay a ransom for your own information? Doing so would just enable them to continue extorting people. What happens next month then they want another $100?

I'd get a lawyer to look over the agreement and try to get the intellectual property back.

NichG
2013-10-22, 10:27 PM
Well, I guess the idea would be to pay the ransom, back up the content, and then move to a different host. I suppose the host is banking on the idea that legal action would cost more than the $100 at stake.

Flame of Anor
2013-10-22, 10:50 PM
What happens next month then they want another $100?

You back up the data before they get the chance.

ShadowFireLance
2013-10-22, 10:53 PM

We have a facebook group you can join, and currently the site is over at Freeforums (http://dicefreaks.freeforums.org/index.php), though for obvious reasons...not quite what it used to be.

So we're not dead, but definitely wounded.

If you don't mind, and can tell, what is it exactly?

Captnq
2013-10-22, 11:06 PM
{Scrubbed}

Kain Darkwind
2013-11-21, 12:09 PM
Sorry guys, I don't really read these forums often. I actually only stumbled on the thread because I was searching for a Google Cache. To answer some of the questions.

We aren't raising money or paying the ransom because we cannot even trust that the people will return our material. They have been uncommunicative entirely. As such, the money might simply disappear.

If we could ensure the safety of the transaction, things would be different, as the amount of money is paltry compared to the manhours in restoring things, even from those who have backed up material.

Useless smug comments about going for quality over free sites are fairly...well, useless. It doesn't fix the current situation, and we didn't have money to pay for a site in any event. We are fans, not a business.

Thank you for the comments on the creativity and quality of the work. In addition to high epic level material, there was also work done on undead, cosmology, movie/TV show character interpretations in d20 stats and other stuff. We are best known for Gates of Hell though, a book on Hell and the archdevils who rule it.

Further questions to which you need a timely answer ought to be directed at the FB group or the current website at freeforums. My apologies for not seeing these responses sooner.

Melcar
2013-11-25, 05:37 PM
Just wanted to add, that I have been a long time fan of dicefreaks, and are very sorry to see it go. I hope somehow in some form you guys can get up and running again.