PDA

View Full Version : Broken World

Belial_the_Leveler
2013-10-05, 04:45 AM
Reefslide; a peaceful small town built on the cliffside overlooking an equally peaceful and breathtaking view of a crystal clear sapphire sea lapping against a perfect sandy beach only interrupted by the town's small but well-crafted and nature-friendly harbor.
Appearances however were deceptive; nothing is peaceful in the Broken World. Many centuries ago -nobody remembers when- the world was rent by fire and ruin, bastions of civilization being seared away like leaves in a forge-fire. The generation-long winter that followed killed off the vast majority of organized civilization. And then the world grew warm again, and the monsters came. Beasts and dragons the civilized races had hunted to near extinction. Horrors created in the labs of wizards allowed to run wild. Abominations spawned by cosmic power and godly mistake set free as their prisons were sundered.
It has been a millennium since the Sundering. Or so people in Reefslide believe. The town's gate is anchored between two steep cliffs to fend off the beasts in the forest beyond that come seeking a meal at least once a week. The town is built in the steep ravine beyond to shield it from aerial attackers, and the harbor has watchtowers. Every adult in the town knows how to use a weapon if not well at least well enough to discourage the smaller beasts. And the town has a significant number of individuals that can actually hunt them. Many of them are out every time there's a lull in beast activity, scouting in strong parties, hunting beasts for valuable skin, bone, meat and other things, scavenging old ruins for metals, spell components and other precious supplies.

This is one such time. Beasts have not attacked in a couple of days and are not expected to for a couple more. The town leaders have sent the hunters and the gatherers out for the day and as morning turns to midday most of the citizens are in their houses or gather in the small pubs and taverns by the harbor; the world has grown freakishly hot and humid in this part of the continent since the Sundering so people arrange their business at dawn or late evening and spend each midday drinking and listening to music that makes their hard life a little easier.

And since the perversity of the universe tends towards the maximum, this is when a dragon-like and definitely dragon-sized head emerges from the sea, soon followed by a massive serpentine body and clawed hands and feet that propel the invader towards the shore. The wake of its passing throws the fishing boats off-course and its enormous bulk allows it to go through the ten-foot beach wall by simply stepping on it, causing the masonry to collapse in short order and then walking on into the harbor proper without noticing the barrier any more than a man would notice a foot-high pile of loose soil he had to wade through during a long trek through the wilderness. Alarms sound all over the harbor and soon spread to the rest of the city, alerting what defenders remain of the danger. They also annoy the beast so it opens its wagon-sized maw and roars, rattling windows in their frames up to a thousand feet away...

Erik Vale
2013-10-05, 08:17 PM
Arula & Alura

There are just about two things you can do when a really large dragon appears. Run, hide, and hope it doesn't find you. And try and offer it something or otherwise ask what it wants. Being a 'adventurer' and thus having a abnormally low self preservation instinct, Arula begins the later, meanwhile wishing he had gotten the smaller statue for his dragon already. Given his statue's shrunken form, it takes almost no time flat to set it up and animate it as Arula talks to his own personal dragon.

"Your Crazy! I-"
"Am going to get in with me, and use my magic to animate something small to go fly up to the dragon and see if you can get it's attention first. Hopefully something that talks, say a rooster sign or something. I think I see one there, grab something and bring it back, I'll start filling this."

With a few utterences, Arula begins filling the hollow of the statue with some water while Alura begins muttering some of his favorite curses while looking for some sort of statue with a mouth that Arula could animate.

My familiar will be looking for a object with a mouth of any size nearby.

Lochar
2013-10-05, 11:35 PM
Ariana

Ariana is where she can be found most days, sitting on the edge of the cliff underneath a few scraggly, windswept trees. Today, a small box of material sits next to her as she deftly weaves the material together, flax and cottons melding into one material as she keeps her hands busy while her eyes rest lightly on the far distance.

Therefore her eyes are not on the beach when the creature surfaces, but both the roar and the alarms quickly refocus her attention on the beach.

"Oh gods. Why now?" Her eyes glance back towards the town, recalling the fact that most of the defenders were out. "Damn it."

Shoving everything back into the box, Ariana lets herself fall off the cliff and gives a piercing whistle.

The roc nesting in the cliffs gives a start at the whistle, launching itself forward and spinning around, catching Ariana as she slowly falls towards the ground.

Ariana pats the bird's neck with a smile. "Let's go get rid of the unwelcome visitor, yes?"

tofucake
2013-10-06, 01:27 AM
Ketu

*CRACK* The man makes a head over heels flip and lands on the ground face first after taking a punch square on the jaw from Ketu. "Pleese, nor moar.." the man moans through swollen lips.

"Nonsense, we agreed that I would perform the task you requested and I could use you as a testing dummy for 3 nonlethal attacks in lieu of monetary payment upon completion. Now I've finished my side of the bargain, it's only fair that you fulfill yours. Come on now, there's only one more left. Sure, your face will swell like a balloon and you'll be on liquids for a bit but I'm sure you took that all into consideration when you agreed on the payment.."

Ketu stops mid-sentence when the alarms and a mighty roar resound through the village. "Perfect. A sturdier test subject." He runs off towards the beast, briefly turning back to yell, "Don't worry, the last one is on your tab!"

shugyosha
2013-10-06, 09:39 AM
Paiet

He had been there only a day. The tall gangly man walked the market with his quarterstaff in hand. He smiled at the passerby's until he heard the roar. This was it, he thought, the reason he was compelled here.

He casted a quick spell on his staff and ran towards the sound.

casting weapon of awe on the staff.

kinem
2013-10-06, 09:45 AM
Will Akers

"You should have seen it, ladies" Will tells the two wide-eyed young women at the bar next to him in the harborside pub. He drinks some more ale to moisten his throat. "There were three of the beasts, and two of us. I ..."

The roar from the harbor catches their attention, and the women gasp in sudden fear.

"... better go check that out. Later, girls."

He grabs his shield and heads out, hoping that his fear doesn't show.

Belial_the_Leveler
2013-10-09, 10:22 AM
Arula & Alura

It occurs to you that if this is a real dragon then you're hosed; its body alone is the size of a two-story mansion and its length from snout to the tip of its tail is closer to two hundred feet than a hundred. On the other hand, the ginormous serpent doesn't have wings and hasn't yet employed magic or breathed fire. So you will not be extra-crispy as it gulps you down along with the other defenders by the wagonload.
A quick search reveals a lack of objects that possess a mouth, which is only to be expected; the town has always had a shortage of metal to the point that sewing pins are at a premium. Wasting whole pounds of it on decorations wouldn't happen. Of course, the beast itself has solved your problem if you don't mind the blood; there is at least one severed head within easy reach, and more than one full corpse. Both would technically be objects, and both have mouths.

Ariana

As the young nature-worshipper flies over the town astride her Roc, she sees that the monster's presence is causing rapidly-spreading destruction. Civilians are fleeing the harbor in a stampede towards higher ground; given the town's namesake and current conditions, more than a couple lose their footing in the steep ascent of the main road, slide down back towards the harbor and are carried by momentum alone under the monster's bulk and into the water. Should the monster focus its attention on them, the villagers would be sitting ducks. Ariana has no idea where that expression came from or what ducks are but it seems appropriate.
Of course, this is not the only stampede. If it were then the perversity of the universe wouldn't be maximized for the day, would it? The monster's roars seem to have severely agitated the town's herd of milk cows. Usually peaceful herbivores, cows still stand higher at the shoulder than most humanoids and weigh over four tons. The destruction even a small herd could accidentally cause is considerable. Luckily, these are running away from the town after having smashed through their stables, along the beach and towards the seaside meadows they usually graze on in quieter hours. Someone will probably need to gather them up after the bigger problem is solved.

Ketu

Ketu has to reevaluate his opinion about sturdier test subjects upon seeing the monster. Clawed upper arms in lieu of hands with a reach a half dozen times his own, thick as tree trunks and with each claw the size of a greatsword. Rows of teeth the shape of spikes in a palisade in a mouth large enough to make a single bite out of a cow, or a platoon of armed humans at once. In the Broken World, test subjects eat you!
At least, if you aren't prepared, well protected, highly mobile or have a good number of capable allies. And there appear to be several interesting fellows running towards the beast rather than away from it in Ketu's immediate vicinity.

Paiet

Upon seeing the beast, the pilgrim was sure his purpose of being here had just been made clear. A monster of that size and power could well level the town if champions did not rise against it. But some inner voice told Paiet that his strength of arm and faith, great as they might be, would not make him a match for this beast on his own. And with the town hanging in the balance, he could ill afford getting careless...

Will Akers

Coming out of the pub, Wills comes face to face with the unthinkable; the beast attacking the town was even larger than the beasts in his story! Of course, those beasts were three while this was only one. The two girls from the pub, scared as they might be of the attacking behemoth, urged their hero towards battle. He'd beaten such odds before and, hero that he was, could do it again; they had faith in him!!!

tofucake
2013-10-09, 01:41 PM
Ketu

Ketu quickly inspected the other anomalous individuals heading towards the beast with much enthusiasm. None appeared particularly well equipped to deal with a giant beast with lunch on its mind and someone had to check the beast's advance, even if it meant becoming its new target.

Taking a short moment to circulate psionic energy to bolster his vitality, Ketu runs towards the beast while yelling the most appropriate and eloquent advice he could think of at the moment.

"KILLLLLLLLLLLLL ITTTTTTTTTTTTTT!"

As he runs down, Ketu tries to size up the beast and looks for any easy spots to jump up to. The back of an enemy this big might be a pretty safe place to be.

Ketu expends 5pp to cast Vigor for 25 temp hp, then runs and stops ~ 15' away from the beast, activating defensive fighting and Crane Style.

Perception check for how tall the beast is [roll0]

Erik Vale
2013-10-09, 03:46 PM
Arula and Alura

"Not even a painted mouth... Remind us to buy one quickly afterwoods." Alura says as he slowly drags over a nearer corpse.
"You want to animate a body?"
"It'll have to do, and if things go pear shaped it's not like he was about to get a ceremonial burial."
"Fine, he's close enough, get in."

Quickly Alura scrambles into the construct's crevice as Arula shuts it, it's only partially full of water but it's enough to breath as the two move so their gills are in the water. With careful incantations, Arula begins animating the construct as Alura animates the body.

Arula's Craft Points:
-1 Stone [Hardness 8].
-Burrow 30ft [I think I'll need it]
-Fly 30ft [Clumsy]

Alura's Craft Points:
-Fly [Clumsy]
-Faster [Fly is 40ft]
Alura will seek a amored body if possible, but nothing heavier than leather armor and only if it's still a hole body

The Stone statue springs to life, and suddenly starts vibratting, breaking through the ground, and then heading towards the dragon. The body on the other hand flies straight for the dragon shouting in draconic.
"Stop! Wait! Please speak with me!"

Arula burrows 15ft down then 15ft towards the dragon, and will continue at 60ft/round towards the dragon. Alura flies his corpse at 80ft/round towards the dragon/wyrm/other, shouting as he does so.

shugyosha
2013-10-09, 05:04 PM
Paiet

"Heroes, rally to me!" he yells. Once those heed his call are gathered the divine warrior will call upon a great blessing.

will cast Blessing of Fervor

kinem
2013-10-09, 05:41 PM
Will Akers

ooc: How far are we from the monster?

Will heads for the man calling for heroes, pausing only to summon further aid - a large creature made of fire - near the 'dragon'.

ooc: Summon monster V (large fire elemental (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/outsiders/elemental/elemental-fire/large-fire-elemental))

PChubby
2013-10-11, 01:18 AM
The dwarf sat cross legged on the floor holding a single grey stone in each open palm. His only movement was the slight rustling of his beard as he faintly chanted.

"azgrim.."
"Azgrim."
"AZGRIM!"

The dwarf's eyes snapped open with a glare. "What's important enought to disturb my midday meditation Brother Kurdanus?" The young man stammered as he pointed towards the shore. "A beast approaches from the sea." Just then a great roar echoed through the small monastery.

With fluid motion the dwarf leapt to his feet. "From the sounds of it the beast has breached the shore wall. There's no time to waste. Get to Harindar. I'll see if I can help with whatever curse the sea has spit forth."

Erik Vale
2013-10-12, 02:24 AM
Corpses aren't always the most plesent things to see, but a recent flying one, possibly still bleeding, speaking with the voice of a small dragon... It had to rate amoungst the most interesting things to see.

However, the larger dragon seemed to be ignoring the corpse.

"Hey you, even speak draconic? Or how about common, or are you little more than a wyvern to stupid to count the claws on it's forelimb!?"

The corpse changes to the common tongue as it continues to yell at the dragon.

Perhaps 100ft away, the stone golem had stopped vibrating, as it's controller communicated with that of the corpse as to the surrounding area for any people trapped that it could see.

Lochar
2013-10-12, 04:43 PM
Ariana

"Heroes? Really? Someone's a little full of themselves." Ariana scoffs to herself while aloft. Mentally she weighs the beast making it's way up the beach before sighing. "Looks like I won't be playing the normal game then."

Hands grip into feathers as Ariana allows magic to sink into Turul's body, his size doubling in an instant before she places two more magics upon his body before falling away once more. "Harrier him. Don't get yourself killed though." She calls to the racing bird.

If it need be, put me in three turns casting spells upon the animal companion.

Turn 1: Animal Growth
Turn 2: Freedom of Movement
Turn 3: Strong Jaw

kinem
2013-10-15, 10:29 PM
When the fire elemental Will summoned appears, it charges and begins attacking the dragon. Meanwhile, Will concentrates on calling up a flaming sphere to further harry the creature, hoping it will retreat back where it came from.

Will is 100' from the dragon.

fire elemental (AC 19, hp 60, DR 5/-) moves 50' and attacks;
should be no AOO since dragon is flat-footed
to hit [roll0], damage [roll1] + burn [roll2] fire

Those affected by the burn ability must also succeed on a DC 16 Reflex save or catch fire, taking 1d8 damage for an additional 1d4 rounds at the start of its turn. A burning creature can attempt a new save as a full-round action. Dropping and rolling on the ground grants a +4 bonus on this save. Creatures that hit a burning creature with natural weapons or unarmed attacks take fire damage as though hit by the burning creature and must make a Reflex save to avoid catching on fire.

Flaming sphere [roll3] fire, Reflex neg DC 14; will attack for 10 rounds, move action to direct it

shugyosha
2013-10-29, 11:42 AM
OOC: Is anyone here?

Erik Vale
2013-10-29, 02:22 PM
OOC: Yep. ......