PDA

View Full Version : Do these spells exist?

Ranting Fool
2013-10-05, 05:29 AM
I'm looking for a few spells or effects but I don't know if they already exist or if I should pop over to the homebrew section and make them :smallbiggrin: I've been doing a lot of prep work (both for the current campaign and a new one starting in a few months) and my brain is just merging all the books together :smalltongue:

1: Shield Me!: I'm looking for a "Shield Other" spell or effect that can be cast by you on a meat shield. Either by force for Evil casters or as a buff (auto fail if unwilling) for Good casters.

2: Here use my spell: I know there is a way to imbue another with one of your spells, not sure if it's a spell or ability or item. (Which could be used instead of "Shield Me!" :smalltongue:)

3: Phone Call: The message spell gives you 25 words, so text message, is there a spell that allows a two way chat over long distance (And cast without two people together)

4: Mass Sanctuary: Don't think there is but then there are a LOT of Dragon Mags and other source books I've never gone through.

5: Prospecting: Spell to determine if there is/what type of ore is in an area (Or is it just a divination where you ask "Is there Gold in this hill? Is their Iron?")

6: Migration: Is there a spell that gives +landspeed or increases the travel speed of large groups of people for the day. I know there are things like "Overland Flight" and "Gate" is all well and good but not exactly what I'm looking for.

I'm sure there are more but my minds drawn a blank :smallbiggrin:

TuggyNE
2013-10-05, 05:56 AM
1: Shield Me!: I'm looking for a "Shield Other" spell or effect that can be cast by you on a meat shield. Either by force for Evil casters or as a buff (auto fail if unwilling) for Good casters.

2: Here use my spell: I know there is a way to imbue another with one of your spells, not sure if it's a spell or ability or item. (Which could be used instead of "Shield Me!" :smalltongue:)

Shield other (Clr 2) + imbue with spell ability (Clr 4) is the standard here.

4: Mass Sanctuary: Don't think there is but then there are a LOT of Dragon Mags and other source books I've never gone through.

Chain Spell metamagic + shenananigans to make it valid.

5: Prospecting: Spell to determine if there is/what type of ore is in an area (Or is it just a divination where you ask "Is there Gold in this hill? Is their Iron?")

General divinations are probably decent here.

nedz
2013-10-05, 06:01 AM
3: Phone Call: The message spell gives you 25 words, so text message, is there a spell that allows a two way chat over long distance (And cast without two people together)

Rary's Telepathic Bond (PH p268)
Sorcerer 5, Wizard 5, Beguiler 5, Sha'ir 5

Rary's Interplanar Telepathic Bond (Planar Handbook)
Sorcerer 6, Wizard 6

6: Migration: Is there a spell that gives +landspeed or increases the travel speed of large groups of people for the day. I know there are things like "Overland Flight" and "Gate" is all well and good but not exactly what I'm looking for.

Longstrider, Mass (PH2)
Ranger 4, Druid 5

rot42
2013-10-05, 06:45 AM
- This is the intended use of Friendly Fire (Exemplars of Evil); ranged only, can be cast as an Immediate action.
- Share Pain (Expanded Psionics Handbook) is basically Shield Other for psionics. Forced Share Pain transfers some of your damage to the target.
- Protective Interposition (Forge of War 115) is the opposite of what you want, but is first level and Swift action casting, so you might be able to convince your friendly local meatshield to use a cheap item if you buy it.

- Zone of Peace (Cityscape 68) prevents drawing a weapon in the area, but this probably misses most of the applications you are seeking. There are a couple Hide from X type spells that will situationally get you there or guide in determining level if you homebrew something.

- There is a Treasure Scent spell in Dragon Magazine 323.
- You could probably ask a summoned Earth Elemental.

BWR
2013-10-05, 06:59 AM

Former, I know there were some 2e spells for this. Can't remember their name and can't be arsed to wade through 7 books of spells to find them. But they are somewhere in either or both of the Wizard's Spell Compendium and Priest's Spell Compendium.

Latter, at least one normal spell, also in 2e (again, WSC/PSC). There was at least one psionic enchantment that allowed you to make a big road that extened through any terrain you walked, as long as it was solid. I'd say allowing normal movement speed through terrain that usually reduces to one quarter speed counts as increased travel speed.

ShurikVch
2013-10-05, 07:32 AM
1: Shield Me!:
Tome of Magic, Dahlver-Nar vestige (Vestige Level: 2nd, Binding DC: 17) Granted Abilities: ... Shield Self

2: Here use my spell:
Imbue With Spell Ability Level: Cleric 4, Magic 4
Imbue Familiar With Spell Ability Level: Sorcerer/Wizard 6
Fiend of Blasphemy PrC (Fiend Folio), 2nd lvl CF Transfer Spell-Like Ability

4: Mass Sanctuary:
Sanctuary, Mass Balance domain lvl 5 (Underdark)

ArcturusV
2013-10-05, 08:20 AM
I avoided Psionics like the plague, due to how they were in earlier editions (And thus never even looked at them or gave them a fair shot in 3rd), but I seem to recall during discussions on this board seeing mention of some "Astral Caravan" psionic power that would fit the Migration niche.

Presuming you're okay with Psionics filling in for Spells.

Gemini476
2013-10-05, 10:33 AM
I avoided Psionics like the plague, due to how they were in earlier editions (And thus never even looked at them or gave them a fair shot in 3rd), but I seem to recall during discussions on this board seeing mention of some "Astral Caravan" psionic power that would fit the Migration niche.

Presuming you're okay with Psionics filling in for Spells.

Psionics in 3.5 is rather different from the previous versions of psionics. It's usable, for one. They dumped the entire MAD aspect of it as well, and made Powers more similar to Spells in how they work.
It's available for free on the SRD as well, so yeah.

Here's Astral Caravan. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/astralCaravan.htm) It's a bit more like Plane Shift or Teleport than I suspect Ranting Fool wanted, however.
It'll let you move an arbitrarily large group anywhere within 12 days, however (minimum 6, or 3 for the augmented version).