PDA

View Full Version : How to use Scribe Scroll

Story
2013-10-05, 10:11 AM
In my current game, UA was banned, which means no trading Scribe Scroll for Improved Initiative. So sadly I'm stuck with Scribe Scroll. I've seen people talk about how awesome Scribe Scroll is, but I can't really figure out how to effectively use it. What do you do scribe? How do you use it effectively?

Campaign specific information

Rapid progression - we've leveled after every session so far (level 4-7)
We've fallen behind on WBL, presuambly due to rapid leveling. But we recently found a large treasure that should put us back on track once we recover and sell it.
Plenty of downtime - we can spend weeks between sessions if necessary
Magic Mart - pretty much any item or spell is available for purchase if you have money. Particularly exotic ones might cost a bit extra

ericgrau
2013-10-05, 10:20 AM
Due to "magic mart" it's actually pretty useless since you can buy unlimited scrolls. But the feat does save you a few hundred gp. And I can get into the real reason people think scribe scroll is awesome: because scrolls are awesome.

Go down the entire list of spells and get at least one of each level 1-2 utility spell that you wouldn't bother preparing, if not 4. Especially for things you'll need for the whole party like endure elements or mount (assuming a party of 4). Boom, you're ready for every random situation there is, like 60's Batman with his utility belt. Since any given random situation might only happen once in an entire campaign, one of each scroll is usually enough. So for the cost of a few hundred gp you are ready for all kinds of situations.

You need to wait a little longer on level 2 scrolls due to cost. My favorite is spider climb, and you might even get 2+ copies early on. Soon after comes see invisibility.

You should also get level 1 buffs like shield for the rare times that you get 5 buff rounds. Since it's rare, like utility you scroll it rather than prepare it.

Similarly the non-casters should get level 1 buff potions like protection from evil, enlarge person or reduce person (for rogues) since they're so cheap. They should attack rather than drink a potion when they can, but they shouldn't twiddle their thumbs during buff rounds.

A better use of your massive downtime would be a crafting feat. If you still have time left over, then get a 2nd crafting feat. A trick to save time on scroll scribing and leave time for other crafting feats is to put multiple spells onto a single scroll. As long as it's 1,000 gp or less (500 gp in materials) it only takes 1 day to scribe them all. And it makes sense for duplicates, or for out of combat utility spells where you have plenty of time to unroll a scroll. There are no rules for how long it takes to unroll a scroll to a specific spell btw, only your DM's sanity.

johnbragg
2013-10-05, 10:36 AM
In my current game, UA was banned, which means no trading Scribe Scroll for Improved Initiative. So sadly I'm stuck with Scribe Scroll. I've seen people talk about how awesome Scribe Scroll is, but I can't really figure out how to effectively use it. What do you do scribe? How do you use it effectively?

Plenty of downtime - we can spend weeks between sessions if necessary
Magic Mart - pretty much any item or spell is available for purchase if you have money. Particularly exotic ones might cost a bit extra
[/LIST]

Having downtime but no money means you'll want to scribe the scrolls yourself if possible. Having money means you can just buy them.

Have scrolls of all kinds of low-level utility spells.
I'm going to take 1000 gold, the SRD Sorcerer/Wizard list, and go on a shopping spree for a party of 5.

Alarm 2
Mount x10 (lasts 2 hours)
Unseen Servant 2
Obscuring Mist
Comprehend Languages
Floating Disk, cast at 5th level, (cost 125 gp), carries 500 pounds.
Disguise Self x 5
Ventriloquism x 2
Animate Rope
Extended Mage Hand (use with Animate Rope--Mage Hand carries the end of the rope)
Expeditious Retreat x5
Feather Fall x 5

That's 40 x 25 = 1,000 gp. (I originally wanted 10 True Strikes--that was the first cut when I remembered it was Personal, not Touch, and taking those out got me down to 1000 gp). And you've just solved a bunch of potential problems for the party, given yourself options for all kinds of shenanigans.

All without looking at the 2nd level spell list, and you still have all of your first-level spell slots.

Story
2013-10-05, 10:37 AM
So it's mostly used for things you plan to only need maybe once? In that case, scribing is an even bigger waste since you still have to learn the spell before you can make scrolls of it!

I thought it would be for more common utility stuff like Nerveskitter or Benign Transposition, but those might be better as wands (and Nerveskitter arguably doesn't work by RAW).

What about Command Undead?

P.S. Floating Disk is out since I banned Evocation. I suppose we could just get an Amulet of the Disk.

ericgrau
2013-10-05, 10:42 AM
So it's mostly used for things you plan to only need maybe once? In that case, scribing is an even bigger waste since you still have to learn the spell before you can make scrolls of it!
Yes that is true for about half the scrolls. But it is good to get (party size) copies of some scrolls. And for level 1 scrolls paying 12.5 gp more for the ability to restock in case you do use a particular scroll isn't too bad. And for some scrolls you want 2-3 copies even if it's not for the whole party, especially for cheapo level 1 spells. Like benign transposition. It's awesome for level 1 when you need it, but I don't think I'd use it more than 3 times in a campaign. So I wouldn't prepare it as a level 1 spell until I had plenty of extra spell slots to blow, nor wand it. Plus for some utility like summon monster 1 guinea pigs, caster level 3-6 scrolls are nice so that the summon lasts more than 1 round.

Command undead will be awesome for unintelligent dead who get no save. Intelligent undead get a save, and scroll save DCs and caster level are low. And it's good to scroll rather than prepare because X session isn't always against unintelligent undead.

Waker
2013-10-05, 10:50 AM

I thought it would be for more common utility stuff like Nerveskitter or Benign Transposition, but those might be better as wands (and Nerveskitter arguably doesn't work by RAW).

P.S. Floating Disk is out since I banned Evocation. I suppose we could just get an Amulet of the Disk.

Scribe Scroll does have limited use when playing as a Spontaneous caster like a Bard or Sorcerer, but is excellent for prepared casters like Clerics and Wizards.
For spells that are extremely unlikely to see usage, you are probably better off just buying the scrolls. But if it is a spell that is likely to see infrequent usage, learning the spell to scribe is probably a decent idea. The other advantage to the feat is that spellcasters can work together to scribe a scroll, so if the Wizard has Scribe Scroll, he can work in tandem with the Cleric to make a Scroll of Raise Dead. Always useful if the Cleric ends up getting smoked.

Two or more characters can work together to create an item, with each character providing one or more prerequisites. To provide a spell prerequisite, a character must have prepared the spell (or know the spell, in the case of a sorcerer or bard). The rules say you can use a spell completion or spell trigger magic item or a spell-like ability that produces the desired spell effect to provide a spell prerequisite. A command or use-activated item cannot provide a spell prerequisite. Relevant text found here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20041207a).

johnbragg
2013-10-05, 10:50 AM
So it's mostly used for things you plan to only need maybe once?

STuff you don't need or want most days. How often do you cast Mount? So you might never prepare Mount. But in the course of an adventure, you might be in a spot where conjuring mounts for the party would be a huge advantage. Scroll of 4-5 Mount spells = win the encounter.

In that case, scribing is an even bigger waste since you still have to learn the spell before you can make scrolls of it!

You are correct, sir. MAgic Mart plus WBL makes Craft Item feats a waste. Sorry. Scrolls are best used for spells you *don't* know.

The Adam West Batman Wizard would definitely have a few scrolls of Command Undead in his Heward's HAversack. But if you expect to use it more than once or twice, learn the spell or buy a wand.

Scrolls should mean never having to say "Man, I wish we had this low-level utility spell prepared."

nedz
2013-10-05, 10:51 AM
Nerveskitter was fixed in the errata.

You can also sell scrolls to generate profit.

Knock is the classic 2nd level spell to scroll. You rarely need it, but when you do: you need 10.

Story
2013-10-05, 11:18 AM
Like benign transposition. It's awesome for level 1 when you need it, but I don't think I'd use it more than 3 times in a campaign.

Well I'm an Anima Mage, and I just realized that it can be used on Malphas's Raven. So I think it's a lot more useful then I initially thought.

Chronos
2013-10-05, 11:36 AM
"When you do, you need ten" probably means that you want a wand instead of scrolls.

nedz
2013-10-05, 01:29 PM
"When you do, you need ten" probably means that you want a wand instead of scrolls.

Well the unit cost is the same, and you have the Scribe Scroll feat but not Craft Wand.

Story
2013-10-05, 03:25 PM
Of course next level I'll be able to get Craft Wand via binding Astaroth.

Chronos
2013-10-05, 04:16 PM
Well the unit cost is the same,
Not true. The unit cost for a scroll is 25*(spell level)*(CL), while for a wand it's 15*(spell level)*(CL). So if you ever expect to use more than 30 of your 50 charges, the wand is cheaper (that's the reward for buying in bulk).

ericgrau
2013-10-05, 05:34 PM
With scribe scroll, scrolls are 12.5 gp each. There is the 1 xp but due to faster leveling xp losses are overrated. I suppose you could say 17.5 gp assuming a rate of 5 gp per xp. In the end they're about the same, but scribe scroll is more flexible on number of uses making it usually better... until he picks up craft wand next level.