PDA

View Full Version : Questions (thanks for answering)

Cowboy_ninja
2006-12-30, 07:54 PM
1) if i wear a qauntlet can i still use the monks better unarmed fist dmg? i want to wear one so i can apply contact poison to my fists.

2) if i want someone to cast permanency magic fang on me how much would it cost? 5pg per exp i know anything else?

3) if my armor restricts me to 20 feet does haste or expedious retreat still boost me up to 50ft?

4) (this is a big one) if it was a lvl10 you VS an reaping mauler in a battle royal. how would you take him on? keep im at bay to keep from getting grappled by him? list 10 ways please :smallbiggrin: !

5) can arcane sight let me see people that are invisible? i probably wont see them but i would see an outline of them (magical aura) right? would i still suffer the penalties for them being invisible?

6) if my comrade drinks a potion of arcane sight and then i cast permenency could that work? the PHB says i can only permenency them b/c they are personal spells.

7) if im grappling someone with mage slayer do i have to roll 2 concentration checks? (DC 20) for grappling (DC <whatever>) for the aop?

Thomas
2006-12-30, 07:57 PM
2. 5x500 gp for magic fang, 5x1,500 for greater magic fang, plus (spell level)x(caster level) both for permanency and for magic fang or greater magic fang.

Bears With Lasers
2006-12-30, 08:01 PM
4. The spell Freedom of Movement makes you immune to grappling. Alternatively, being two size categories larger than him means he can't grapple you.

The_Werebear
2006-12-30, 08:40 PM
4. Fly. Shoot him with arrows. Take spring attack and skirmish with him, never letting him catch up. Beat him at his own game and be a reaping mauler.

Brickwall
2006-12-30, 09:02 PM
Alternatively, being two size categories larger than him means he can't grapple you.

He'd just hump your leg.

1. Yes, you should be able to.

5. Whichever is the higher level spell should trump. If they're both the same, I'd side with the detection spell.

6. Uhh...sure, why not? It's a magical spell applied rather impersonally.

4. Spiked armor. With spikes. Also, being on fire is pretty helpful. And kinda funny to watch.

Pyros: *on fire* "Come and give me a huuugg!!!"
RM: *running away* "Get away from me you daft fool!"
Villain employing RM: *sigh*

cupkeyk
2006-12-31, 07:28 AM
1) It's actually a no. a gauntlet is a weapon that counts as an unarmed strike like a claw bracer. You use the claw bracer and the gauntlet's damage, not the monk damage.

2) 2950gp(caster level 9 times fifty plus 2500gp for the xp).

3) yes

4) (this is a big one) if it was a lvl10 you VS an reaping mauler in a battle royal. how would you take him on? keep im at bay to keep from getting grappled by him? list 10 ways please :smallbiggrin: !

5) take invisibility as a +40 to hide (http://systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/skillsAll.html#hide). If you can spot him then you can see his aura. Invisible creatures are basically just hiding. Can't see something if its hidden.

6) Yes.

7) Correct.

cupkeyk
2006-12-31, 07:29 AM
1) It's actually a no. a gauntlet is a weapon that counts as an unarmed strike like a claw bracer. You use the claw bracer and the gauntlet's damage, not the monk damage.

2) 2950gp(caster level 9 times fifty plus 2500gp for the xp).

3) yes

4) spider climb or fly lets you avoid getting. blink lets you walk away from grapplers.

5) take invisibility as a +40 to hide (http://systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/skillsAll.html#hide). If you can spot him then you can see his aura. Invisible creatures are basically just hiding. Can't see something if its hidden.

6) Yes.

7) Correct.

Matthew
2006-12-31, 11:34 AM
There's quite a debate on about Monks and Gauntlets.

Pegasos989
2006-12-31, 11:57 AM
Rules lawyer is in da house!

1) if i wear a qauntlet can i still use the monks better unarmed fist dmg? i want to wear one so i can apply contact poison to my fists.

I wouldn't touch this question with a 20 foot pole

2) if i want someone to cast permanency magic fang on me how much would it cost? 5pg per exp i know anything else?

Spellcasting from NPC costs spell level*Casterlevel*10gp, so add that to both magic fang and permanency in addition to 5*exp costs.

3) if my armor restricts me to 20 feet does haste or expedious retreat still boost me up to 50ft?

Heavy/Medium Armor restricts you by taking one third away from your movement (round down). So:
Human with 60 feet movement (normal + a spell = 30+30) would have speed of 40 feet in full plate
Dwarf with 50 feet movement (normal + a spell = 20+30) would have speed of 50 feet in full plate if you assume that armor doesn't affect dwarf's movement (It doesn't say precisely that in the description but rather that he moves 20 feet even in heavy armor, which might be interpreted as 20 feet even hasted... It would be stupid interpration, though.)

1) Freedom of movement -spell
2) Don't let him see you (Greater invisibility -spell)
3) Keep him away from you (Be a spellcaster, fly, dispel his flight items... Or cast wall of force if you are in dungeon or something so he can't get around it.)
4) Having a superior speed and ranged weapon (I am looking at you, griffons/dragons/other mounts)
5) Find a way to be 2 size categories larger.
6) Find a way to escape grapple (Silented Dimension door, I am looking at you)
7) Close quarters fighting feat (CWarrior) helps a lot
8) I ran out of ideas.

5) can arcane sight let me see people that are invisible? i probably wont see them but i would see an outline of them (magical aura) right? would i still suffer the penalties for them being invisible?

I would say yes, as it detects magical auras as detect magic, which sees ongoing spell effects. However, there are spells that mask magical auras, if I remember correctly.

6) if my comrade drinks a potion of arcane sight and then i cast permenency could that work? the PHB says i can only permenency them b/c they are personal spells.

Yeah. I heard that some people say that personal range spells can't be made into potions, because that would not count as a spell with target of one or more people and PHB doesn't have potions of spells such as expeditious retreat. I don't agree with this reasoning, anyways.

7) if im grappling someone with mage slayer do i have to roll 2 concentration checks? (DC 20) for grappling (DC <whatever>) for the aop?

I don't have books handy so can't answer.

Douglas
2006-12-31, 12:04 PM
See Gauntlet (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/weapons.htm#gauntlet):

This metal glove lets you deal lethal damage rather than nonlethal damage with unarmed strikes. A strike with a gauntlet is otherwise considered an unarmed attack. The cost and weight given are for a single gauntlet. Medium and heavy armors (except breastplate) come with gauntlets.
Monks using gauntlets do get their special unarmed damage.

For Greater Magic Fang with a +5 bonus and minimum caster level for the Permanency:

3*20*10 = 600 for caster level 20 GMF.
5*11*10 + 1500*5 = 8050 for caster level 11 Permanency on a 3rd level spell.
Total cost 8650 gp.
However, any time someone targets you with Dispel Magic there is a chance you will lose the spell completely and have to pay all over again to get it back.

Apllying Haste first then armor: speed boosted to 60, then reduced by 1/3 to 40.
Armor then Haste: speed reduced to 20, then increased by 30 but max double so +20, final speed is 40.
Either way, your speed is 40.

You would automatically detect the location and power of the Invisibility spell provided it is within 120 feet and in line of sight. With a spellcraft check, you could determine that it is an illusion spell. With that knowledge, you could probably deduce that someone is invisible at that location. You would know which 5-ft square the person is in, but he would still have full concealment.

First, Arcane Sight cannot be made into a potion because it is a Personal range spell.
Second, even if you got a houserule to change that, the RAW is that Permanency can only affect that spell if the caster is also the recipient. If he could cast it from a scroll with UMD that could work, as could any other means that would count your comrade as the caster.

Oddly enough, no. You would have to make the check for grappling (DC 20 + spell level), but your opponent does not get an attack of opportunity. In fact, he doesn't threaten any squares at all, not even the one you share, so his Mage Slayer feat doesn't do anything to prevent you from casting defensively if you want to. If you choose to cast defensively, that would be a second concentration check (DC 15 + spell level), but that is only needed to avoid AoO's from any other enemies who happen to be close enough. Your grappling foe doesn't get an AoO against you regardless.

Douglas
2006-12-31, 12:10 PM
Yeah. I heard that some people say that personal range spells can't be made into potions, because that would not count as a spell with target of one or more people and PHB doesn't have potions of spells such as expeditious retreat. I don't agree with this reasoning, anyways.
It's not just reasoning, it's explicitly stated in the RAW. Spells with a range of personal cannot be made into potions. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/creatingMagicItems.htm#creatingPotions)

Pegasos989
2006-12-31, 12:11 PM
It's not just reasoning, it's explicitly stated in the RAW. Spells with a range of personal cannot be made into potions. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/creatingMagicItems.htm#creatingPotions)

I stand corrected, then.

Matthew
2006-12-31, 12:12 PM
Heavy/Medium Armor restricts you by taking one third away from your movement (round down). So:
Human with 60 feet movement (normal + a spell = 30+30) would have speed of 40 feet in full plate
Dwarf with 50 feet movement (normal + a spell = 20+30) would have speed of 50 feet in full plate if you assume that armor doesn't affect dwarf's movement (It doesn't say precisely that in the description but rather that he moves 20 feet even in heavy armor, which might be interpreted as 20 feet even hasted... It would be stupid interpration, though.)

Nope, a Dwarf would have a Speed of 40, unless some other Spell is had in mind:

All of the hasted creature’s modes of movement (including land movement, burrow, climb, fly, and swim) increase by 30 feet, to a maximum of twice the subject’s normal speed using that form of movement. This increase counts as an enhancement bonus (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/theBasics.htm#enhancementBonus), and it affects the creature’s jumping distance as normal for increased speed.

If I remember rightly, Characters with Speed 20, have Speed 15 in Heavy or Medium Armour. It's all done with the Encumbrance Rules in mind.

Zherog
2006-12-31, 12:47 PM
I would say yes, as it detects magical auras as detect magic, which sees ongoing spell effects. However, there are spells that mask magical auras, if I remember correctly.

detect magic lets you see the aura of an invisible creature - assuming it stays still for three rounds of course. So certainly arcane sight would also allow you to see the target as well, since it's a higher level spell.

Yeah. I heard that some people say that personal range spells can't be made into potions, because that would not count as a spell with target of one or more people and PHB doesn't have potions of spells such as expeditious retreat. I don't agree with this reasoning, anyways.So, there's several things on this arcane sight as a potion followed up by permanency thing.

It can duplicate the effect of a spell of up to 3rd level that has a casting time of less than 1 minute.

So far we're OK.

Spells with a range of personal cannot be made into potions.

So, a potion of arcane sight is not legal by the rules. Of course, it would be nice if they stuck all these rules in the same place...

So, answers for all the questions (except the reaping mauler one):

1) This is hotly debated, and a thread dedicated to this topic is likely to have vocal folks on both sides. In my opinion, the answer is no - you use the gauntlet's damage.

2) This has been answered well already.

3) As Pegasos989 said, bonuses to speed are added in before penalties are removed. His answer is completely correct.

4) >>skipped<<

5) Yes, you will know there is something in the area with an illusion aura. You can opt to attack that something, but the miss chance still applies. I believe there's an answer about this sort of thing in the FAQ.

6) Covered above

7) I'm not familiar with the details of the class, and my books aren't nearby.

Raum
2006-12-31, 12:52 PM
1) It's actually a no.
Incorrect. The PHB2 supplies NPC monks with guantlets as part of the appropriate equipment by level.

5) take invisibility as a +40 to hide (http://systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/skillsAll.html#hide). It's actually a +20. The SRD on invisibility. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#invisibility)

A creature can generally notice the presence of an active invisible creature within 30 feet with a DC 20 Spot check. The observer gains a hunch that “something’s there” but can’t see it or target it accurately with an attack. A creature who is holding still is very hard to notice (DC 30). An inanimate object, an unliving creature holding still, or a completely immobile creature is even harder to spot (DC 40). It’s practically impossible (+20 DC) to pinpoint an invisible creature’s location with a Spot check, and even if a character succeeds on such a check, the invisible creature still benefits from total concealment (50% miss chance).

Pegasos989
2006-12-31, 12:55 PM
Nope, a Dwarf would have a Speed of 40, unless some other Spell is had in mind:

If I remember rightly, Characters with Speed 20, have Speed 15 in Heavy or Medium Armour. It's all done with the Encumbrance Rules in mind.

Expeditious retreat states " This spell increases your base land speed by 30 feet. (This adjustment is treated as an enhancement bonus (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/theBasics.htm#enhancementBonus).) There is no effect on other modes of movement, such as burrow, climb, fly, or swim. As with any effect that increases your speed, this spell affects your jumping distance (see the Jump (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/jump.htm) skill)."

But well, apparently haste has it diffrently.

Shazzbaa
2006-12-31, 12:57 PM
There's quite a debate on about Monks and Gauntlets.
There's a four page discussion over here. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30513) Read through it if you like, but the basic gist I'm getting from it is that there are a lot of reasons why, by simply interpreting the rules, the gauntlet SHOULD work with the monks unarmed and flurry. However, every official Wizards of the Coast ruling has pointed to say that Monks do not get their unarmed bonus from gauntlets, and they cannot use the gauntlets in a flurry as they are not monk weapons.

Thus, it's still hotly contested.

Matthew
2006-12-31, 01:15 PM
Expeditious retreat states " This spell increases your base land speed by 30 feet. (This adjustment is treated as an enhancement bonus (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/theBasics.htm#enhancementBonus).) There is no effect on other modes of movement, such as burrow, climb, fly, or swim. As with any effect that increases your speed, this spell affects your jumping distance (see the Jump (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/jump.htm) skill)."

But well, apparently haste has it diffrently.

Very interesting. I hadn't noticed the change between 3.0 and 3.5 with regard to Expeditious Retreat. Previously it was simply Double your Move. One to ask Wizards about in combination with Haste, I think.

Zherog
2006-12-31, 01:45 PM
Nope, no need to ask about the interaction with haste. It also grants an enhancement bonus, so the two don't stack.

All of the hasted creature’s modes of movement (including land movement, burrow, climb, fly, and swim) increase by 30 feet, to a maximum of twice the subject’s normal speed using that form of movement. This increase counts as an enhancement bonus, and it affects the creature’s jumping distance as normal for increased speed.

Matthew
2006-12-31, 01:49 PM
No, I mean to ask why Haste limits the +30' to Double Movement, but Expeditious Retreat does not. Sorry for the confusion.

MaN
2006-12-31, 02:17 PM
While a monk is wearing a gauntlet you may still use the monk's better unarmed strike damage because that damage may inflicted with any part of the monk's body. However, if you specify that your monk is wielding the gauntlet as a weapon then the monk is considered to be wielding a non-monk weapon during that attack and thus may not apply her better unarmed strike damage.

Thus you can wear gauntlets of ogre power and still inflict the monk's unarmed strike damage but may not wield a spiked gauntlet to inflict piercing damage and still inflict the monk's unarmed strike damage.

You could apply contact poison to the monk's forehead so that his unarmed strike head-butts inflict the greater damage and poison. Just make sure the monk has immunity to the stuff first.:smallwink:

Golthur
2006-12-31, 04:58 PM
Well, at 11th level (Diamond Body), a monk's immune to poison anyway, so you could just apply the poison directly to your fists.

In the monk/gauntlet debate, I was pro-gauntlet, though :wink: