PDA

View Full Version : My Player wants to play this, should I be worried?

CyberThread
2013-10-05, 12:00 PM
Warlock 4/ Binder 1/ Ur-Priest 2/ Eldritch Theurge 10/ Hellfire Warlock 3

My player wants to play the build, anything I need to be worried about, as tricks or power plays?

Aegis013
2013-10-05, 12:04 PM
He'll have divine 9ths at level 15 from Ur-Priest. That might be concerning depending on how crazy your player goes with stuff.

Everything else just checks out as standard procedure Hellfire Warlock.

Urpriest
2013-10-05, 12:09 PM
One thing to keep in mind is that Eldritch Disciple has language that requires it to worship a deity and abilities based on the alignment of said deity. So you'll want to reach some agreement with your player on how that works for an Ur-priest.

Beyond that, yeah, it's fast-progression spellcasting, so it's about as terrifying as fast-progression spellcasting is in general.

T.G. Oskar
2013-10-05, 12:20 PM
The first is Ur-Priest. Basically, you have access to all Cleric spells, which is pretty strong if done carefully. Since it also gets Rebuke Undead, your player's probably also stacking it with Divine Metamagic and Persistent Spell; look for the key feats "Divine Metamagic" (Complete Divine), "Persistent Spell" (Complete Arcane) and the key item "Nightstick" (Libris Mortis: the Book of the Dead). That way, he can make many spells last for 24 hours, so as long as they're of personal range or fixed range (most people consider Touch range to be "fixed", just in case). That way, he can persist Divine Power and potentially fight better than any Fighter.

The second is the Hellfire Warlock trick. The PrC improves your Eldritch Blast damage, but you take Constitution damage with it. However, your player is adding 1 level in Binder, which gives it access to the vestige Naberius, which has a way to bypass that Constitution damage by restoring 1 point at the end of your turn. In that way, your player is probably attempting to maximize its damage.

Eldritch Theurge is mostly to advance Divine Spellcasting and Invocations at the same time, so your player will get full Ur-Priest spellcasting and Warlock Invocations as a 17th level Warlock, alongside all the other pretty tricks. That's probably the worst of your worries.

If you see the first option (DMM Persist, as it's commonly called), note that Persisted spells are vulnerable to Dispel Magic (and Greater Dispel Magic), so you can scare your player with a well-dropped Dispel attempt. As for the second, it depends on how much damage from Eldritch Blast you wish to see, but it's manageable (Eldritch Blast is stopped by a good Touch AC, spell resistance, and if anything else, Antimagic Field). As for 9th level Cleric spells...it depends on your cheese tolerance; just by that you'll have to consider whether to allow it or not, because that's the real threat I can see. If else, note that Ur-Priests do not follow any deity, so consider carefully if he wishes to make deals with any faith.

In short: if you don't feel comfortable with very powerful spells on top of a tank cannon (without the tank resiliency), bar that. Work with what's comfortable with you.

Urpriest (LAWL!): probably the player will plead to follow a dead god. That way, he "follows" a god, but since the god grants no powers, the character steals it from other gods.

Chronos
2013-10-05, 12:22 PM
As far as the abilities go, he's not really going to be any more broken than a straight cleric. There are two things, though, to watch out for:

First, given that he's mentioning a build like this at all, he's obviously raiding ideas from online, which means that he might also be getting things like spell selection from online. Which in turns means that, while he won't be any worse than a straight cleric, it's going to be a straight cleric with really good spell selection, which can be more powerful than many DMs expect.

Second, and perhaps more importantly: Ur-Priest (and I think maybe Hellfire Warlock, can't remember) requires evil alignment. Are you and the other players comfortable with having an evil PC in the party?

fishyfishyfishy
2013-10-05, 12:30 PM
Second, and perhaps more importantly: Ur-Priest (and I think maybe Hellfire Warlock, can't remember) requires evil alignment. Are you and the other players comfortable with having an evil PC in the party?

Hellfire Warlock has no alignment based entry requirement.

And for the OP: as others have stated, it's not particularly broken and cheesy. It's a solid build that's relatively powerful and has plenty of interesting mechanics to go along with the fluff. Let him play it if you feel that he won't be overwhelming the rest of the party, and that you can handle a moderately optimized PC like this, and that he will be up to role playing this type of character.

nedz
2013-10-05, 01:49 PM
Did you mean Eldritch Disciple rather than Eldritch Theurge ?

ET is Arcane/Invocation.

ED it not particularly strong, you just have the usual Ur-Priest issues — so it depends on how this will effect your game.

Flickerdart
2013-10-05, 02:02 PM
Hellfire Warlock only gets scary when you throw in Legacy Champion and Eldritch Glaive.

Gemini476
2013-10-05, 02:18 PM
One thing to keep in mind is that Eldritch Disciple has language that requires it to worship a deity and abilities based on the alignment of said deity. So you'll want to reach some agreement with your player on how that works for an Ur-priest.

Beyond that, yeah, it's fast-progression spellcasting, so it's about as terrifying as fast-progression spellcasting is in general.

Do note that nothing says that an Ur-Priest can't worship a god. They 'despise' gods, yes, but even then they have suggestions for adapting it for ex-clerics of weakened gods and such.

They just don't get their power from the god they worship, but rather take it from deities in general. Of course, Eldritch Disciple suddenly makes you get your Ur-Priest casting from a single god, as well as that god being the origin of your Invocations...

Also also, that build gets ninths at 16 as written, and only takes Hellfire Warlock at levels late enough that the damage doesn't really matter anymore. It doesn't look that overpowered, to be honest, but if you're the kind of DM that freaks out when the TWF rogue does +10d6 sneak attack damage for each of six attacks it might be a bit worrisome.
Yeah, it's powerful but lags behind a bit in the early game. I wouldn't worry too much.

Elric VIII
2013-10-05, 06:51 PM
I wouldn't worry too much. I played something like this once. Just get your player to alternate Eldrtich Disciple and Hellfire Warlock levels such that his Ur-Priest casting does not exceed that of a normal full caster and you should be fine.

Basically, what you are getting is an evil Cleric with Eldritch Blast.

limejuicepowder
2013-10-05, 07:58 PM
What level is the campaign starting at, and what level will it probably end? If the answer is 1st and below 12th or so, respectively, there's nothing to worry about at all. This build doesn't get power until ur-priest gets its accelerated casting in order, which doesn't happen for quite awhile. Prior to that, it's a delayed warlock and delayed cleric with some cute tricks. Not exactly game breaking.

Sith_Happens
2013-10-05, 09:13 PM
The first is Ur-Priest. Basically, you have access to all Cleric spells, which is pretty strong if done carefully. Since it also gets Rebuke Undead, your player's probably also stacking it with Divine Metamagic and Persistent Spell; look for the key feats "Divine Metamagic" (Complete Divine), "Persistent Spell" (Complete Arcane) and the key item "Nightstick" (Libris Mortis: the Book of the Dead). That way, he can make many spells last for 24 hours, so as long as they're of personal range or fixed range (most people consider Touch range to be "fixed", just in case). That way, he can persist Divine Power and potentially fight better than any Fighter.

This is actually what I'd most be worried about. If you tell him that he can only benefit from one Nightstick (the RAW is slightly ambiguous so there's no reason to feel bad about it) things should stay fairly reasonable though.

Chronos
2013-10-06, 07:40 AM
Actually, the rules aren't particularly ambiguous about nightsticks. There's no reason to think that they would stack, so they don't.

nedz
2013-10-06, 07:49 AM
Actually, the rules aren't particularly ambiguous about nightsticks. There's no reason to think that they would stack, so they don't.

Also: they don't have to exist in your world.