PDA

View Full Version : Cultist help...

Kyberwulf
2013-10-05, 01:32 PM
Pathfinder

Time sensitive

Okay, I need help with some cultists. They worship a rising evil.
I got the backstory down. The Demigod verging on moving on up to some divine ranks. He focuses on Corruption, greed, and Deception. This isn't to say when all else fails he beats down opposition.

What I need help, is with the Tactics of the inner keep's patrols. I don't know exactly how to run NPCs that don't focus on direct damage. I was hoping some playgrounds could help me design encounters that can stand up to players, but don't do so with Direct confrontation.

I want to force players to uses Will saves and Reflex saves.

The Current players are
Minotaur Fighter 13
Orc Fighter 16
Tiefling Dread Commando 5/Figher 2/Rogue 6
Human Cleric 16

I would like the Encounter levels to be around 13.

Please halp.

ArcturusV
2013-10-05, 01:50 PM
Corruption, greed, and deception eh?

Scream Non-Combat Challenge to me. Note that I don't play Pathfinder, don't know it, but I feel this is universal in it's application.

So you have a Keep with this Cult, and I'm guessing from the "Inner" part, that the outlaying territory/outer walls were guarded by something... thugs, dogs, what have you, and your players powered in.

So game them. Have the inner area of the cultist keep be a shrine to the Godling, rather than some Fortress of Doom. And not a shrine as in an altar soaked in blood and hanging entrails from the walls. Have it be something that fits the god's persona. Honestly I'm thinking Las Vegas style here. They break into the keep to find it's a massive entertainment facility, cage fights, gambling, dancing, hookers, drugs, etc. Bonus points if the local city that the heroes set out from finds these things morally reprehensible and/or illegal. That might explain why they had it guarded like that, and were trying to keep out local riffraff who are trying to ruin their "innocent fun".

Try to draw the players into the revelry. Get them hooked in on what's going on. Let them make some money on gambling, maybe have some of the drugs they're doing have some beneficial effects when you're not overdosing/addicted to them yet, etc. Lure them in.

At which point you can give them either A) The corruption and while they're knee deep in wenches, drugs, booze, and easy coin try to convert them to the new Godling... or B) Spring a trap, like the old Rancor Pit. I'd avoid Poison, it's overdone to feed players poisoned food and such. And they might expect it at first.

Just don't give the player's reason to kick down the NPCs. Make it look like legit (If slightly immoral compared to some alignments/locations) good times. Challenge them in other, more subtle social interaction ways.

That's probably how I'd base the adventure off of. If they do end up throwing down? Not going to make it a difficult fight. That wasn't the point. Though having a few of the higher "Clergy" as altered Demons and what not makes sense, might do that to provide "crunch" to the fight. Let them use irregular tactics based on avoiding direct conflict, sapping resources efficiently, and escape over pure killing. Summoned monsters, good for that. Illusions and Enchantments? Good times unless your party has the "No" buttons ready for it.

Oh... and don't forget the Shell Game Con, as per the comic here. Having someone who "clones" and attacks the party en masse? Options 1-10 are not the real one. It's the guy who's invisible hiding in the corner out of the way. Always a good standby for when you want a boss who isn't a Melee Beast but will still challenge players.