View Full Version : Magic item creation question

DuncanMacleod
2013-10-05, 01:45 PM
So... looking here:

http://paizo.com/prd/magicItems/magicItemCreation.html

...If I look at the price for a command word item, I see:

Command word Spell level × caster level × 1,800 gp

...and if I look at charges per day I see:

Charges per day Divide by (5 divided by charges per day) Example: Boots of teleportation

http://paizo.com/prd/magicItems/wondrousItems.html#_boots-of-teleportation

So those boots are (Spell level (5) x Caster level (9) x 1800) / (5/3) = 48600gp...

Yep, looks about right rounded, they are listed at 49000gp.

Does this mean that for 1800gp and two days time (or just a casual 2h/day while adventuring) I can create boots of gravity bow 5 x per day activated as a free action and hand them to the party archer (even if he is a bard or fighter who normally wouldn't have access)? Never noticed this before and seems a bit funky...

Are these creation rules "standard", or an optional extra?

Diarmuid
2013-10-05, 02:54 PM
Those "rules" are guidelines and any custom item in theory should require DM approval.

Those "rules" would technically allow for a use item of True Strike at a ridiculously low cost.

DuncanMacleod
2013-10-05, 03:18 PM
Those "rules" are guidelines and any custom item in theory should require DM approval.

Those "rules" would technically allow for a use item of True Strike at a ridiculously low cost.

Well them being guidelines only was what I was hoping, but could you point me at the place where that is explicitly stated? I'm probably being dim, but I can't seem to spot it.

The Trickster
2013-10-05, 05:46 PM
From the D20 SRD;

Not all items adhere to these formulas directly. The reasons for this are several. First and foremost, these few formulas aren’t enough to truly gauge the exact differences between items. The price of a magic item may be modified based on its actual worth. The formulas only provide a starting point.

Or as like to call it, the "No, you can't have permanent True Strike on your sword" rule.

DuncanMacleod
2013-10-06, 06:32 AM
Thanks. Just realized it actually says similar right above the table itself in PF. Doh! Was looking everywhere and it was right under my nose.