PDA

View Full Version : Psionics only healing

JusticeZero
2013-10-05, 02:00 PM
So setting up a new party, I am looking at the possibility that nobody will play a Vitalist, Egoist, or Tactician. Natural Healing, the CLW equivalent, is range Personal; a dorje of it cannot be passed around the way a Cure wand can. Also, the HP per GP ratio is much worse.
Can anyone help with options for healing the party up in downtime in this case?
There is not a single divine or arcane caster in the world, the world is E8, it is PF, and anything DSP is allowed, even PoW and both Psicarnam test classes. I can't make players play class Y, and I despise DMPC.

Fax Celestis
2013-10-05, 02:01 PM
Let them dig their own graves, then.

Rubik
2013-10-05, 02:05 PM
You could always make adjustments to the current Body Adjustment power.

From Lycanthromancer's old psionic powers revision:

Body Purification (NA)
Psychometabolism (Healing)
Level: Psion/wilder 1, psychic warrior 1
Display: Auditory and material
Manifesting Time: 1 move action
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: Instantaneous
Power Points: Psion/wilder 1, psychic warrior 1

You take control of your body's healing process, curing yourself of 1d12 points of damage. As usual, when regular damage is healed, an equal amount of nonlethal damage is also healed. Alternatively, you can restore up to 1 point of damage to a single ability score. You can not use body purification to heal ability drain or ability burn.

Since this power does not deal with positive or negative energy, intelligent undead creatures are healed just as living creatures are. Unless their entry specifically states otherwise, mindless constructs and undead are unaffected by this power, while intelligent constructs receive only half of this power's benefits.

Augment: 1. For every additional power point you spend, this power heals 1 additional point of damage to the same ability score, or 3 points of hp damage

2. For every 2 additional power points you spend, this power heals an additional 1d12 points of damage.

3. [Egoist] If you spend 2 additional power points, the range on this power becomes "Touch," its target becomes "One creature touched," its saving throw becomes "Fortitude negates (harmless)," and its power resistance becomes "Yes (harmless)."

4. If you spend 4 additional power points, this power's manifesting time becomes "1 swift action."
---4a. If you spend a total of 6 additional power points, it becomes "1 immediate action."

5. If you spend 4 additional power points, you can transfer 2 points of ability damage from a creature you touch to yourself; its range becomes "Touch," its target becomes "You and one creature touched," and its power resistance becomes "Yes (harmless)." If you have spent enough power points to heal all of the ability damage you take, it is instantaneously healed. Note that you must spend enough power points through augment #1 to heal the damage taken; otherwise, you receive the excess as ability damage.
---5a. For every 2 additional power points you spend, you can transfer an additional 2 points of ability damage.

6. If you spend 6 additional power points, you can heal (and transfer, if you use augment #2) ability drain in addition to ability damage.

7. If you spend 6 additional power points and 20 XP per power point spent on this power, you can heal (and transfer, if you use augment #8) ability burn in addition to ability damage.

8. If you spend 6 additional power points, you can transfer your ability damage to another. Its range becomes "Touch," its target becomes "One creature touched," its saving throw becomes "Fortitude negates," and its power resistance becomes "Yes." If you combine this augment with augments #5 and #6, you can transfer ability drain and ability burn.

9. [Negative] For every power point not spent, the die size decreases by one step, from d12 to d6 to d4. You cannot heal ability damage with this augment.

Since this is psionics-only, feel free to adjust this to a touch power. That, or having a dorje would work magnificently.

JusticeZero
2013-10-05, 02:20 PM
Let them dig their own graves, then.
I have serious issues with needing to force someone to be "teh healor" who would rather play something different. It's seriously non fun. Needing to manage consumables is enough of an issue.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-10-05, 02:28 PM
Healing Belt in MIC, 750 gp, just switch its prerequisite to Body Adjustment.

Magic Sleeping Bag in MHB, 1000 gp, sleeping in it heals 1 hp per character level in addition to your normal healing.

You could also use Vitality and Wounds (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/adventuring/vitalityAndWoundPoints.htm), since vitality points recover so much faster than natural healing.

Fax Celestis
2013-10-05, 02:38 PM
I think the sleeping bag got updated in MIC. Check the magic bedroll: sleep in it for 8 hrs, heal 1 HP/level, and get endure elements while sleeping.

Psyren
2013-10-05, 02:39 PM
In a psionics-only world, it's not unreasonable that someone would have developed touch-range versions of Natural Healing/Body Adjustment/Vigor etc., and that those new versions would be common knowledge. Develop those, and then let them be purchasable in stone, tattoo and dorje form.

Failing that, it's reasonable that alchemical or technological means of healing would have advanced instead. Let some of the more standard healing potions from magic be available to those who have knowledge of herbs and other substances to create without spells.

Failing both of those, an alternate system (like the Vitality system suggested above) is advisable.

Grod_The_Giant
2013-10-05, 02:41 PM
Yeah, I agree that "homebrew a touch-range healing power" is your best bet.

Rubik
2013-10-05, 02:42 PM
Yeah, I agree that "homebrew a touch-range healing power" is your best bet.That segues well with my suggestion.

Psyren
2013-10-05, 02:46 PM
Another option is to stick an NPC with them - a Vitalist or Augur - and have it perform healing duties. You have to be very careful going this route so as not to create a DMPC, but so long as it is completely useless offensively it shouldn't step on anyone's toes. This will allow you to stick to RAW while keeping the party alive.

Rubik
2013-10-05, 03:02 PM
Another option is to stick an NPC with them - a Vitalist or Augur - and have it perform healing duties. You have to be very careful going this route so as not to create a DMPC, but so long as it is completely useless offensively it shouldn't step on anyone's toes. This will allow you to stick to RAW while keeping the party alive.Well, the O.P. did mention that he despises DMPCs...

lsfreak
2013-10-05, 03:38 PM
Well, the O.P. did mention that he despises DMPCs...

I take the stance that there's a difference between a DMPC and an NPC that's often with the party.

I'd agree that the best way would be to add healing powers, but if healing's going to be in the game, it should imo be worth using in combat. If you don't want that, then modify the Heal skill to provide actual healing (a limited number of times per day that someone can benefit, capped to half-health, or something like that if you dislike unlimited out-of-combat healing), possibly combined with the wound system.

And since it was brought up, Rubik, do you know if the latest version of Lycanthromancer's revision is uploaded somewhere? I recently checked the threads I could find and didn't get working links. (Or has it not been updated in the four years since I downloaded it?)

Rubik
2013-10-05, 03:50 PM
And since it was brought up, Rubik, do you know if the latest version of Lycanthromancer's revision is uploaded somewhere? I recently checked the threads I could find and didn't get working links. (Or has it not been updated in the four years since I downloaded it?)It's been updated a bit, but not much, and the updates could probably use some editing. He got it in his head to add a few Rated A (http://www.esrb.org/ratings/ratings_guide.jsp) powers, which you may or may not be interested in. I'll see if I can get him to post it somewhere, and I'll post the link later.

Maginomicon
2013-10-05, 03:51 PM
If you're allowed 3.5 material:

Healing Salve

Rubbing this stinky green paste into wounds promotes rapid healing. Applying the salve is a full-round action. One dose cures 1d8 points of damage to a living creature. Only one dose may be applied per round, and there is no limit on how many salves can be applied over time.

The Alchemy DC to make one application of healing salve is 25. If you have 5 or more ranks in Profession (herbalist), you get a +2 synergy bonus on checks to craft it.

Cost: 50 gp

Psionic Minor Creation anyone? Sure a healing salve isn't as powerful as a potion of cure light wounds, but since it fairly-clearly is made of vegetable matter, PROMOTES rapid healing (meaning it enhances the body's own healing capabilities instead of doing the healing itself), and cures damage instead of giving temporary HP, it's a very viable way for a psionic character to be the party healer (although it takes 1 minute to manifest, the resulting salves would only exist for 1 hour/level, and applying a salve is a full-round action instead of the standard action for quaffing a potion).

JusticeZero
2013-10-05, 03:56 PM
In a psionics-only world, it's not unreasonable that someone would have developed touch-range versions of Natural Healing/Body Adjustment/Vigor etc., and that those new versions would be common knowledge.
While not unreasonable, it bugs me when i'm trying to keep close to RAW. There isn't any sort of fast-heal type power that is anywhere near as cost effective as CLW in the first place, nor do I see any ways of moving it around in RAW. Meanwhile, even a world with arcane spellcasting only can still use CLW wands.
By the way, Healing Belt is 3.5, and I have not seen a PF variant.

Psyren
2013-10-05, 04:04 PM
So give them a healbot NPC or use a variant health system.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2013-10-05, 04:14 PM
Don't psionic tattoos (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/items/psionicTattoos.htm) exist for this purpose? They're basically the psionic version of potions, and personal powers can be used to make them. I imagine some flamboyant-looking egoist somewhere probably sells them at a reasonable price.

JusticeZero
2013-10-05, 04:51 PM
Sure, but one, they are costed as potions - but each one heals 3hp, exactly rather than 2-9(5); two, there is a limit to the number one can carry.

Sidmen
2013-10-05, 05:00 PM
Easy solution, my friend. Have a shopkeeper that is an Adept traveling in the woods/caves/whatever near the players. He'll happily sell them potions of cure light/moderate wounds as often as they desire.

Then, increase GP rewards enough to offset the need to buy potions to heal.

He isn't traveling with the PCs so you stay away from DMPC territory, and your players have access to the healing they need.

JusticeZero
2013-10-05, 05:05 PM
There are no Adepts. Their entire spell list does not exist in any form.

Rubik
2013-10-05, 05:14 PM
And since it was brought up, Rubik, do you know if the latest version of Lycanthromancer's revision is uploaded somewhere? I recently checked the threads I could find and didn't get working links. (Or has it not been updated in the four years since I downloaded it?)I got the link from him. There's apparently not much different than the last time it was posted, and a couple of powers could probably be scrapped or heavily overhauled (like Humeric Geyser), but there it is.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7XkmnK-DY9YdXJPa245QjFQWWc/edit?usp=sharing

[edit] He says, "Suggestions are, as always, appreciated."

Sidmen
2013-10-05, 07:11 PM
There are no Adepts. Their entire spell list does not exist in any form.

I see. While you're homebrewing all that, create a series of potions called Healing Potions, which operate functionally identically to potions of Cure Light/ Moderate/Serious Wounds and have the same prices, but which can be made with appropriate Crafting checks out of medicinal plants.

Rubik
2013-10-05, 07:14 PM
I see. While you're homebrewing all that, create a series of potions called Healing Potions, which operate functionally identically to potions of Cure Light/ Moderate/Serious Wounds and have the same prices, but which can be made with appropriate Crafting checks out of medicinal plants.You ought to make them Healing potions. Note the capital HEAL.

Sidmen
2013-10-05, 07:42 PM
You ought to make them Healing potions. Note the capital HEAL.

One must assume he's wanting low-level healing tools, such a powerful and expensive potion would be out of their grasp.

Maginomicon
2013-10-05, 08:09 PM
One must assume he's wanting low-level healing tools, such a powerful and expensive potion would be out of their grasp.
Ectoplasmic Creation (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/psionic-powers/e/ectoplasmic-creation) + Healing Salves then. That comes online at level 1.
(You create a wooden tub first, then fill it with healing salve. This also fits the requirement for out-of-combat healing)

JusticeZero
2013-10-05, 08:30 PM
I see. While you're homebrewing all that, create a series of potions called Healing Potions, which operate functionally identically to potions of Cure Light/ Moderate/Serious Wounds and have the same prices, but which can be made with appropriate Crafting checks out of medicinal plants.I don't have to homebrew much of anything. All I did was ban every spell in existence and give open access to the psionics stuff. That isn't actually very earthshattering or work intensive, beyond the annoyance of trying to keep a group running who hasn't fallen all over themselves to make a support character.

fluke1993
2013-10-06, 02:06 AM
As a side not justice, are you trying to get girdwood running again?

Psyren
2013-10-06, 07:41 AM
Sure, but one, they are costed as potions - but each one heals 3hp, exactly rather than 2-9(5); two, there is a limit to the number one can carry.

The limit is honestly not that much of a factor, who is going to burn through 20 tattoos per person before they get back to civilization?

The bottom line is that you need to either use items, an NPC or homebrew to solve this. If none of those solutions appeals to you then you need to alter the hitpoint system itself.

Maginomicon
2013-10-06, 09:18 AM
You can probably implement the Reserve Points variant (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/adventuring/reservePoints.htm) into your game (although it was originally written for 3.5). That'll solve some of your out-of-combat healing problem too. I would however suggest the following clarifications on the base system:

Normal (non-living) constructs and non-intelligent undead do not have reserve points (reserve points are useless to them). However, living constructs (warforged) do have reserve points but can only use them to recover nonlethal damage (warforged can’t heal lethal damage “on their own” such as with rest or reserve points).
The undead type is immune to nonlethal damage, so an intelligent undead’s reserve points do not recover nonlethal damage.

Tulya
2013-10-06, 10:01 AM
Manifesting unknown powers from another's powers known enables the party to heal up during downtime when only one party member has actually expended a power known on Body Adjustment, since it's on every other list - except the Dread's. You don't lose any power points for failing either of the spellcraft checks, and you can make the checks as many times as you want, so you'll always be able to heal eventually.
But obviously, that's only good for the manifesting classes, and only after hitting ~4th-7th level.

I'm not sure about anything being available earlier.
---
Edit:

Anyone willing to take a single level in Vitalist with 16 Wisdom could redirect healing traffic in a party of four for the rest of their adventuring careers without any further investment. Then it wouldn't matter precisely when everyone attains their own self-healing powers, as long as everyone's willing to pool resources and share what healing they do have.

Alternately, if you can stomach some disgust, the party could contract an NPC Vitalist 1 to do as above. Something like a free agent Psicrystal would be very unobtrusive, given its lack of limbs, speech, and even telepathic speech sans affiliation with a specific psionic character. As long as the only service they're rendering is their Collective + healing redirection, which are unlimited resources, the fee would probably be negligible.