PDA

View Full Version : Vale: Campaign Setting (Comments and Criticism Appreciated)

Sam113097
2013-10-05, 04:40 PM
Vale: The Jagged Coast
Deadly beasts roam the forests. Uncharted ruins filled with untold treasures and dangerous secrets wait to be discovered. Civilizations teeter on the brink of collapse as conflict from inside and out threaten to destroy the small bits of hope in a sea of darkness. Vale is a world that needs heroes. Who will answer the call?
https://24.media.tumblr.com/2f1bd3c1e5cbb1b5f1842c0c59a173cc/tumblr_mrnwwlIEdU1sncm04o1_400.jpg
There are three aspects of the setting I want to emphasize:
1: Magic, as used by the peoples of Vale, is chaotic, inexplicable, and destructive. There are no spells or incantations, just pure elemental energy being released. There is no way to determine if any individual has the potential to do magic, some just do. Because of its destructive nature, magic is not an everyday thing. Magic is simply a weapon.
2: Gods, if there even are any, are not active and are more akin to the different gods worshipped in real life. Different cultures have different religions and superstitions, and priests or similar religious leaders are not granted magical powers by their deity or deities.
3: There are things in the world that are inexplicable. Places, people, or events that have strange affects on magic, ruins and dungeons of unknown origin, and creatures or items with bizarre powers all will be major parts of adventuring in Vale.
The setting (Spoilered for length)
Vale is the name of the planet on which the setting is located, the Jagged Coast is the region on Vale that I'll begin with. It borrows heavily from Scandinavia in both climate and culture, though the sea is less of a factor.
I'm aiming for a low-magic setting, because, realistically, a world with reality bending spells and magic that makes daily life easier would not develop civilization and culture anything like ours, and its level of technology would be very high.
I'll have a map up eventually, sorry.
Due to the difficulty and impracticality of ruling and controlling vast amounts of dangerous, uncharted wilderness, the Jagged Coast has no empires or large kingdoms. Also because of this, there are few full-blown battles, small skirmishes at strategic points usually determine conflicts.
The technology level on Vale is lower than that of a typical fantasy setting, equivalent to about 8th century Europe in most regards. There are no crossbows, and armor and weapons haven't advanced as much. Iron is the most commonly used metal where available.

Humanoid Species
To begin with, I want to limit the number of races both to simplify things and to allow me to flesh out each race more. I want to avoid the common fantasy world pitfall of one-culture, one-personality species. I want to try to make other species as varied in culture and traits as humans. To prevent the issues that could arise, different species cannot have children together. In addition to humans, I'm starting with:
Elves:
In most fantasy worlds, elves are wiser and more magical. To keep with the low-magic theme of the setting, elves are no more gifted at magic than any other race. They don't live thousand of years, having a life expectancy longer than humans by about ten years. Elves are about three inches shorter on average than the average human, and their women are the same height as their men. Their ears look nothing like those of humans, being long, thin, and sticking several inches back and outwards from their heads. They have sharper hearing than humans, and are naturally slighter in stature, though there can be fat elves. Their eyes are slanted somewhat, enough to make them distinguishable from humans. Facial hair is a rare trait in elves, as most elven men are unable to grow any. They have the same range of hair color as humans, but are have a darker range of skin tone than humans.
Dwarves:
Dwarves are built to survive in the cold of the north. They are about a foot shorter than humans, but they are normally broader and thicker. The men have more facial hair than human men, but they don't always wear beards. Their physiques provide a high tolerance of cold, so their dwellings might be uncomfortably chilly for other species. They have wide feet to aid them in walking over snow, and their stout build provides less surface area for them to lose body heat. Their skin is in lighter shades, and has a slightly grey tint that is unnoticeable in younger dwarves, but increases with age. Their hair is never blond, but red hair is more common than in humans, and some dwarves are born gray-haired.
Dyr:
At first glance, a dyr looks like a tall human with a dark complexion. However, a closer look reveals the sharper teeth, mane-like hair, pointed ears, and subtly wolf-like features. They mostly live in the northern regions of Vale. They have a better sense of smell than humans and are often more instinctive, sometimes becoming downright rash. They are a little taller than humans, and live about five years less than humans, on average. The dyr that pursue trades as mercenaries or soldiers are often great fighters, and facing a dyr in combat is not only dangerous due to their strength, as they are very fast thinkers. This skill provides an advantage in battles of wits as well.
(I'm still unsure on the name for these guys)
Skeran:
A barely sentient race of humanoids that survives mainly by raiding and pillaging, Skeran are feared by almost all other species. They are slightly taller than dwarves but less thickset, with long arms, bowed legs, bluish skin, and occasionally tusks. They have no body hair, and appear very reptilian. Skeran are barely intelligent, communicating in a simple language of short growls and grunts. The males are indistinguishable from the females, and Skeran age rapidly, growing to adulthood in only a few years. Though members of other species who have been on the receiving end of a raid may dispute this, skeran do have a primitive culture, and are not inherently evil. Some have even learned to speak the languages of other races.

Creatures

Wraiths:
The dead do not always rest on Vale. Legends tell of crypts filled with ghostly warriors that can only be released from their eternal suffering by being bested in combat. Because of this, wraiths will seek out places that will attract worthy challengers, such as ruins with great treasures or standing stones. Besting a wraith in single combat, and every bard will know your name. Fail, and you join the ranks of the restless dead.
Trolls:
The people of the Jagged Coast use the word "troll" to refer to any of the monstrous, inhuman brutes that roam the many darks places in the world. Trolls range in height from 9 to 15 feet, and either have one eye or two. Their skin can be anywhere from grey to green or blue. They don't talk, and aren't smart enough to use anything more than their fists or simple clubs to batter their victims to bits. Trolls have sensitive eyes that allow them to see in the dark. They are blinded by bright sunlight, and use their hearing and powerful sense of smell to maneuver in daylight. They live in most parts of Vale and will often dwell in mountain passes, under bridges, or near other well travelled routes.
Jotun:
Primitive, Neanderthal-like giants that inhabit the plains and steppes of the Jagged Coast, jotun are even larger than trolls. They have a very primitive culture, and use simple stone or bone tools to hunt. They wear the skins and hides of the animals they eat. They will eat intelligent species as they would any other, though they usually choose easier prey. Jotun usually live far from civilizations, not because they avoid them but because other species avoid jotun, who can easily break down walls or climb them in their search for food.
Dragons:
The dragons of Vale are animals, driven by hunger and instinct. The largest of them are nearly 100 feet long, and prey on any creature they choose, even eating jotun and trolls. Fortunately, they are highly territorial, so there are never many in an area. Almost all dragons breathe fire, but some tales speak of great white worms able to freeze an entire village in a single blast. Most are bronze, grayish-green, or black. Dragon scales are made of an incredibly tough metallic substance that is highly prized for use in armor and weapons. However, these scales make them very difficult to hurt, defending against both blade and magic. Dragons will attack settlements, but they prefer prey that doesn't fight back. Towns will usually give dragon scale weapons to their best warriors to allow them to injure an attacking dragon to drive it away. Slaying a dragon is considered a heroic feat of skill and valor, and dragonslayers are almost universally revered. Dragons are incredibly rare, and seeing one more than once or twice in a lifetime is uncommon... unless you know where to look.
Elementals:
In times long forgotten, some magic-users acquired through unknown means a magical skill that allowed to create living creatures made out of pure elemental energy. These creatures are incredibly dangerous to fight with normal weapons, and some will destroy weapons on contact. Elementals, because they need neither rest nor sustenance, were often placed in vaults, crypts, or dungeons that were seldom visited. Unwary explorers in these places may find that elementals still lurk, following age-old orders.
Valdr:
In the Jagged Coast, when gathered in the corner of an inn, travelers may hear tales of massive black wolves that can tear the head off a troll in a single bite. They are called the valdr. The reason so little is know about them is because few, if any, survive to tell of their encounter. The howls of valdr can be heard during the night while traveling through forests, and it is a truly terrifying sound that can make hardened soldiers fear for their lives. Their black fur makes them difficult to see during the night, their preferred time to hunt. They are very stealthy for a beast so large, and many able warriors have been felled by valdr without even drawing their swords.
Spider-Crabs:
Native to the southern part of the Coast's lakes and rivers, spider-crabs are both dangerous and highly useful. They resemble huge blue-gray crabs with four pairs of legs but no claws. The largest of them are around 4 feet tall, and their circular shells can be up to 2 yards in diameter. Spider-Crabs are usually fairly docile and feed off of aquatic plant life. However, if disturbed, their massive bulk and powerful limbs can be fatal. Some waterside communities may domesticate Spider-Crabs and use them as beasts of burden.

Cities

Because travel in Vale is so dangerous, nations made up of multiple cities are uncommon. Most cities are self-sufficient because of the difficulty of overland travel, though coastal cities often trade over the water.
I've got some basic ideas for a few cities.(Names are a WIP, I'm basing stuff off a Old Norse and English a lot)
Harstad
A small coastal city in the far north, Harstad is surrounded by forested mountains and is very isolated. The city is known for its incredible shipyards and the quality of the vessels built, which are well made and sturdy enough to survive the rough waters of the Jagged Coast. Most of the population are dwarves, who are suited to the harsh climate. There are also a decent amount of humans and dyr, but very few elves.
Valheim
Valheim sits on top of a large, flat hill that once held a large ancient quarry that may have been used for standing stones. The bottom of the quarry is filled with a sizable lake. In addition to the city atop the hill, the sides of the quarry have been carved and excavated over the years to provide places for dwellings of stone bricks. The city is home to mostly humans, but also has a large population of dyr.
Brimwall
The largest city on the Jagged Coast, Brimwall is located on a small island just off the shore of the southern coast. It acts as a trading hub, sending goods up and down the coast. Then city is nestled around a natural harbor that is surrounded on all sides by cliffs. Over centuries of habituation, walkways and paths have been constructed to make it possible to climb the cliffs, and many buildings are on the top of the cliffs as well. The city is about two thirds human, with the remainder split between the other races.*
Holtsedge
On the edge of an as-yet-unnamed forest lies the town of Holtsedge (holt means forest in Old English). The city relies mostly on farming and hunting in the forest. Pelts and intricate woodcarvings are among the few items that Holtsedge exports. Most of the city's buildings are log cabins or wooden homes, and there is a wall of sharpened logs surrounding the center of the city (Jamestown style). The city's population is mainly comprised of elves, with about one third of the people being a non-elf.

Magic System
Each magic-user has a specific color and element that their magic takes the form of (such as red lightning, or purple ice). Those that can use magic just "do it", they don't need any teaching to access their power, though at first it is very weak. Magic users begin to feel a magical type of fatigue after using magic. The more magic a person uses, the more they'll be able to use in the future, like building muscle. There are two types of magic casters:
Adepts: Adepts are capable of unleashing magic in powerful blasts of energy, but they have little other uses for their ability. Adepts gain access to magic through strong emotions. When angered, excited, or scared, they may have small amounts of energy flicker around them. In the heat of battle, their eyes glow the color of their magic. Adepts may lose control in battle and ignore orders or accidentally injure allies in blasts. Adepts are usually warriors. Basically, the angrier they get, the stronger they get.
Guardians: Guardians have more control over what they do with magic, though they're offensively weaker than adepts. Some do have some healing capability, able to bestow magical energy through direct contact to others to speed up healing and give temporary boosts of energy. However, this doesn't replace proper medical treatment, and won't do much more than provide a quick boost of energy and relief of pain. Guardians access their magic through meditation and discipline, channeling their power into focused bolts. Priests, village elders, and monks are among those who use guardian magic. To put it simply, the more calm and controlled they are, the stronger their magic is.

Languages

Ar:
The harsh speech used by most inhabitants of the northern part of the Jagged coast. The language is heavy on the letters K, V, and N. Sounds made by E are not used in Arish. Similar to the Old Norse it is based on, a J directly after a consonant makes a Y sound, such as in Bjorn.

Names:
Names are basically just Old Norse names, though none use the letter E, and most are very short, usually at most 2 syllables.
Examples include:
Male:
Arn
Amund
Bord
Carn
Dan
Finn
Gulvran
Hakon
Ingolv
Kyaild
Osmund
Skald
Ulf
Female:
Astrid
Auda
Brynhi
Dagrun
Frayja
Gerda
Hildi
Idun
Ingrid
Kinna
Sigrid
Thyri
Urda

Surnames are usually the mother's name, followed by -ain , which means child. Examples include Kinnain for the name Kinna, or Idain for Idun. People are often referred by special earned titles, such as Bani (slayer of a dragon), Raikkr (warrior of renown), or Aldin (wise one). To create more such titles, just use the Old Norse word for a character's defining achievement or characteristic.

History:
The beginnings of the Arish language can be traced to the early dwarves. In the cold of their ancestral home, they developed a language that was quick to learn and to speaks. Though the language lacks a lot of descriptive terms, it is very effective as a common language for trade, and is the primary speech of most traders and travelers throughout the Jagged Coast.
Eadic:
The other widely used speech in the Jagged Coast is Eadic, a mix of the southern language, Novin, and ancestral elvish tribal languages. It is, for all practical purposes, English.

Names:
Similarly to Arish names being largely Norse, most Eadic names have strong Old English roots. These names are intended to sound more flows and less harsh than Arish names.
Examples include:
Male:
Adair
Cenric
Colten
Devin
Eadgar
Godric
Kendrick
Oswyn
Rynn
Pierce
Synn
Wyot
Walder
Female:
Anice
Brooke
Dana
Eletta
Fayre
Haiden
Iria
Kendra
Lauren
Paige
Robyn
Skylar
Valora

Last names in Eadic usually draw from a person's profession or place of origin. Elves who speak Eadic usually use the latter to identify themselves, while others will use surnames based on occupation such as Smith, Archer, or Hunter to set themselves apart. Like Arish, Eadic also uses titles, usually just one or two words. Examples include "the brave" "stone-fist", or "the wise".

History:
Eadic is made up of a blend of two languages. The ancient tribes of the southern Coast occasionally came into contact with the Novin-speakers to the far south, and gradually adopted parts of Novin to fill holes in their vocabulary or to replace difficult words. An earlier form of the language (Old Eadic) is often seen in place names, such as in the city of Holtsedge. This form draws significantly less from Novin than the newer variation does.
Other Languages:
Skeran: The grunts and cries of the primitive Skeran is a very basic form of language, but the nature of the sounds it is made up of makes it difficult to replicate.

Tribal tongues: The tribes and isolated towns of the Jagged Coast may have their own language or a unique dialect of an existing one. I'll leave these until later, when I've established some more places, but I'd like have ancient Russian culture influence the tribes.

Novin: Called Southspeak by most inhabitants of the Jagged Coast, this language is spoken by the peoples living south of the region. It closely resembles Latin and has similar naming patterns (Appius, Julius, and Marcus being common names). Finding someone who speaks Novin on the Coast can be very difficult, as only traders from the south and the occasional scholar know it. Eadic is partially based on Novin, so they share many words, just as Latin and English do.

Other

I also had an idea for something I could tie into an adventure or two. Basically, once a year, magic goes crazy. Spirits become super active, going near standing stones (Stonehenge-like structures older than written history) can cause unpredictable effects, and anybody trying to do magic runs the risk of random explosions. As of now, I'm going to call it the Agaetí, which means celebration in Old Norse. Many cultures use the beginning of the Agaetí to mark a new year, and will mark it with festivals or celebrations. It is considered the highest shame to attack another during this time, and entire armies will cease combat for the festival, then return to fighting after it is over.

Calliope121
2013-10-23, 04:49 PM
First of all, I love the idea of the setting, and the depth of thought that you've put into all of the unique races. It's nice to see people trying some untraditional races, or even making their own, although at some point you'll have to come up with stats for them (don't ask me about that though, I'm clueless) I really like the idea of the untamed wilderness and wild magic aspects, although the magic is probably going to be another headache to come up with rules for. I think the next step is coming up with some definite points of interest (cities, dungeons, places where their long lost fathers live, etc.) for the PCs the visit or explore. I also like to work up some kind of history for my worlds, even if it can basically b summed up in a sentence. Overall, a great concept, it just needs some fleshing out :smallsmile:

Thunderfist12
2013-10-23, 05:06 PM
Firstly, could you please put the image in a spoiler so I can actually read the setting stuff? I keep having to scrollsideways to read the whole thing (which is something i want to be able to do).

Secondly, awesome. Awesome, awesome, awesome. I'll get around to adding in my two-cents sometime.

Sam113097
2013-10-23, 05:44 PM
Thanks for the feedback, I was about to give up on getting any.

As for stats, I haven't decided on what system I'm using yet. I want combat to be more fluid and faster than D&D, so I might even try to make my own (though that comes with its own set of problems)

I'm working on a world map and a rough outline of nations right now, and I have some NPCs I've got stuff for.

Thunderfist12
2013-10-23, 05:47 PM
I have my own RPG system that uses non-numerical dice. I use that system because it goes much quicker than DnD and requires no crunch. In fact, it barely uses numbers at all.

It would be hell to use without Star Wars Edge of the Empire dice, though (I used them to make the system).

Calliope121
2013-10-24, 08:40 PM
With countries, just be careful not to go too cliched. In the first world I made the countries were so cliched it was almost painful. (e.g. stereotypical elf country, stereotypical gnome country, stereotypical paladin country etc.) in general, it's a good idea to reject the first, second, and third ideas you have, and go for the fourth. What kind of campaigns you're planning to run can also have an impact on what countries you have. If you're running political intrigue, you need countries with active politics, if you plan in doing a lot of exploring you need a lot of unexplored space etc? I tend to start from the past and work forward for countries! but whatever works for you is good.

D20ragon
2013-11-14, 08:52 PM
Wow. Seeing this made me want to run a adventure in it immediately.
Great work!