PDA

View Full Version : bypassing DR/good as a non-good person

Yogibear41
2013-10-05, 04:44 PM
So I have this character concept in mind of a demon/devil hunter who basically goes so far down the rabbit hole in his pursuit of destroying them he basically delves into their own evil/abyssal/infernal magic in order to strengthen himself, eventually gaining the half-fiend template through spells. However most high level demons/devils have dr/x and good. Most if not all good aligned weapons I am aware of do bad things to you if you try to use them and you yourself are evil. So basically my question is is there anyway around dr/good if the character that needs to get around it can't use good aligned weapons.

I know demons/devils fight each other all the time so I am sure that they know of a way to get around each others damage reductions.

Taveena
2013-10-05, 04:49 PM
Spells, usually. Personally I'd recommend Bless Weapon, which is (for some reason) not actually a Good spell. You'd have to grab a wand of it or something, but...

tyckspoon
2013-10-05, 09:46 PM
I think it's actually just the Holy weapon property that does anything negative to you. You can still use Bless Weapon or Align Weapon, or attach a Fiendslayer Crystal to your weapon (this is probably the most cost-effective, actually - 3k gold makes your weapon beat /Good plus gives an extra d6 damage against evil outsiders) or give it the Blessed or Sacred properties. There's also a small handful of other items that only work if you are good-aligned, but don't do anything negative to you if aren't. And if you're concerned about DR in general, you can use the Transmuting or Shadow-Striking properties to penetrate any variety of it (Transmuting only works after the first hit on a target, Shadow-Striking just ignores DR completely but is expensive enough to be a questionable choice.)

Edit: And there's always the old standby of just doing so much damage that you don't notice the DR is there. Or getting into some Tome of Battle and making use of the Mountain Hammer line of strikes that ignore DR.

TuggyNE
2013-10-05, 10:37 PM
And doesn't Eberron's flametouched iron let you bypass DR/good mundanely?

Red Fel
2013-10-05, 10:51 PM
Is Hellbred available in your campaign?

If you haven't completed chargen yet, Hellbred allows you to play a good character with just enough infernal contamination to use evil items without taking harm.

... If you don't mind being utterly screwed if you die...

KillianHawkeye
2013-10-06, 09:32 AM
I know demons/devils fight each other all the time so I am sure that they know of a way to get around each others damage reductions.

Yeah, but have you noticed how one side never really actually wins anything? They're perpetually locked in a massive stalemate (which is just where everyone else wants them, to be honest).

Psyren
2013-10-06, 11:11 AM
In PF, any weapon with a +5 enhancement ignores alignment-based and material-based DR (so basically, it will do full damage to demons and devils alike.)

This thread raises an interesting idea for me though - could a good-aligned character who doesn't receive divine censure for falling (i.e. not a paladin or cleric) find a Holy weapon one day and be stunned as it lashes out at them, going through a crisis of faith?

Brookshw
2013-10-06, 01:39 PM
Force weapon property from Mic would work I believe it bypasses any dr (personally I hate it for flavor killing).

Bronk
2013-10-06, 07:19 PM
The Force weapon property would only work for projectile weapons though...

Keldrin
2013-10-06, 08:41 PM
There's also the Transmuting property, MiC p. 45, you hit once, then the weapon overcomes the DR for 10 rounds.

Callin
2013-10-06, 08:47 PM
Dunno how you would be able to use this tidbit but you could always try to UMD Emulate Alignment.

Randomocity132
2013-10-07, 08:04 PM
Spells, usually. Personally I'd recommend Bless Weapon, which is (for some reason) not actually a Good spell. You'd have to grab a wand of it or something, but...

It still makes the weapon Good aligned, which would adversely affect the wielder if he isn't also Good.

tyckspoon
2013-10-07, 08:21 PM
It still makes the weapon Good aligned, which would adversely affect the wielder if he isn't also Good.

No, it wouldn't. There is nothing at all that stops a Demon, Devil, or Undead creature from holding a good-aligned or Blessed weapon. The Holy weapon property happens to make a weapon good-aligned and also does something unpleasant to Evil wielders, but that is specific to the Holy property - my post upthread lists off about four ways to make a weapon Good for purposes of damage reduction that are completely uncaring of the wielder's alignment.