PDA

View Full Version : Gtav

Morgarion
2013-10-05, 06:37 PM
I can't believe I haven't seen a GTAV thread here yet. Although, maybe everyone who would start one is unable to because they have been glued to the game since it came out.

Anyways, I just got it yesterday. It's pretty cool so far, but I feel like the story's going to go by pretty quickly. Which is too bad. Anybody else playing it?

Driderman
2013-10-06, 02:52 AM
Played it, finished. Great game, but I don't see why pretty much all the reviews are 10/10. There's far too few Heist missions and the storyline is good, but not great. Gameplay is what you'd expect from GTA, meaning it's good fun and for my part, I suck at it :smallsmile:

Morgarion
2013-10-06, 10:25 AM
I feel like I suck at it too. Maybe it's just that I'm twelve years older and not as spry as I was in my youth, but every time they release a new GTA, the controls feel firmer and harder to master. It seems like the cops are harder to get away from, too. Between the cars' handling and the speed of those police cruisers, I don't know how to lose them if I can't get into an alley right away. Learning curves, I guess.

Thanatos 51-50
2013-10-06, 11:49 AM
It's possible that there is no thread yet because we definitely cleave towards the more. .. pretentious end of the scale here at GitP.
That being said, I don't own the game; I've been watching a LP, though, and he seems to do a lot of the stuff I'm interested off-screen if at all. Thus, questions:

1) is it possible to save your cars? I see there's a customization system, but GTA's car-saving is historically pretty useless. If you lose the car or get it blown up, it's gone. Does GTA V have proper, Saint's Row style car saving?
2) Weapon Customization look pretty wiz. What's the scoop on that? Are traditionally lower-tier weapons (specifically, the pistol) viable into the late game?
3) Do the cars still handle like obese hippopotomi and fall apart like wet toilet paper?
4) Are the controls in general any good, or are players still stuck with the Rockstar Standard terrible (if unique, I'll give them that) scheme?

Morgarion
2013-10-06, 02:58 PM
1. The only way that I know to save your car (so far) is in the garage. It seems like each character's house has a certain set of vehicles that will always spawn there. I don't know whether they will respawn with the modifications you give them or not.
2. The only weapon modification I've done so far has been to attach a flashlight to a shotgun for a mission. I played GTAIV pretty much using nothing but the pistol, but combat is trickier in GTAV. It seems like no matter how well I think I'm timing my fire, the AI knows right when to pop out and shoot back. Locking on to enemies is harder, too, it seems. And I think the reticule doesn't show up when you're behind cover with a weapon drawn, so blindfire is harder.
3. Some of them. Trying to lose a pair of superfast (read: scripted to catch up to you right away) goons while you're driving a pickup truck is no easy feat, but a crotch rocket handles like magic.
4. I haven't had any issues with the control scheme. I think it's pretty much the same as GTAIV's.

Tylorious
2013-10-07, 06:49 AM
It's possible that there is no thread yet because we definitely cleave towards the more. .. pretentious end of the scale here at GitP.
That being said, I don't own the game; I've been watching a LP, though, and he seems to do a lot of the stuff I'm interested off-screen if at all. Thus, questions:

1) is it possible to save your cars? I see there's a customization system, but GTA's car-saving is historically pretty useless. If you lose the car or get it blown up, it's gone. Does GTA V have proper, Saint's Row style car saving?
2) Weapon Customization look pretty wiz. What's the scoop on that? Are traditionally lower-tier weapons (specifically, the pistol) viable into the late game?
3) Do the cars still handle like obese hippopotomi and fall apart like wet toilet paper?
4) Are the controls in general any good, or are players still stuck with the Rockstar Standard terrible (if unique, I'll give them that) scheme?

1) No car-saving mechanic works as well as saint's row.
2) Weapon Customization is ok although it's not as customizable as you may think it to be. Each weapon has 1 or 2 mods you can buy for it.
3) Every vehicle you can get, you have to choose whether it handles like a bloated top heavy animal, or it explodes after being shot a handful of times
4) The autoaim feature has it's moments but more often then not my character is literally tripping over himself and falling over....LITERALLY.

Talesin
2013-10-07, 06:59 AM

3) I actually think the car handling is much better but the turning circle on some of the faster cars seems to be a little challenging. But I could just be taking the corners at far too fast of a speed.

Also the handbreak seems to be the "Lose control and crash into a wall" button but maybe i'm just using it too often/in the wrong situations.

4) I think the controls are actually quite good, the only qualm I have is jumping. I frequently run towards a wall and hit jump, expecting him to launch himself towards it and then grab up on the climb up. Only to have him hit his head and fall to the ground.

Overall its actually quite good, though the lack of destructable environment is a shame especially given in one of the trailers for the game you see a wall being smashed to pieces. Sadly that also occurs during a trailer for one of the missions and you're not able to just find a generic heavy truck and dismember some poor guys wall.

On a related note it seems to be slightly random for which fences or other objects in the game world that can be driven through and those that cause you the mother of all whiplashes when you accidently clip it at high speed. Not totally random of course but there's a couple of hedges i've come to a complete stop when I hit them and others I easily passed through.