PDA

View Full Version : Elan's Happy Ending as The Ultimate Pun?

Ghost Nappa
2013-10-05, 08:11 PM
My current theory is that it involves him transcending to become an elan (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/monsters/elan.htm).

Bonus points if Haley and Elan get married and both transcend, because she'll be taking his name.

(Which is especially funny, because as far as we've seen, Haley has a last name, but Elan doesn't.)

rodneyAnonymous
2013-10-05, 08:17 PM
Note that the question was not "Will I get a happy ending?", it was "Will this story have a happy ending?" (answer: "Yes, for you at least.") Subtle but important distinction.

NerdyKris
2013-10-05, 08:25 PM
It's also been directly stated in the commentary that Elan's prophecy was to reassure the readers that this story would turn out okay despite the dark parts. It's not intended as any sort of plot point. In fact, his exact words are that he had no idea what Elan would ask, so he decided to use it for reassuring the readers.

Bulldog Psion
2013-10-05, 10:54 PM
Myself, I'm hoping for some Victor Hugo-like twisting of the prophecy. :smallamused: I'm in the mood for dark at the moment.

Tiiba
2013-10-05, 11:00 PM
It's also been directly stated in the commentary that Elan's prophecy was to reassure the readers that this story would turn out okay despite the dark parts. It's not intended as any sort of plot point. In fact, his exact words are that he had no idea what Elan would ask, so he decided to use it for reassuring the readers.

That doesn't mean he won't think of something.

ti'esar
2013-10-05, 11:23 PM
Why would Elan want to become an elan?

Forikroder
2013-10-05, 11:59 PM
Note that the question was not "Will I get a happy ending?", it was "Will this story have a happy ending?" (answer: "Yes, for you at least.") Subtle but important distinction.

i dont think so his question may have been for everyone but the oracle only specified for him so he may as well have asked do I get a happy ending

it also implies that noone else does

rodneyAnonymous
2013-10-06, 12:31 AM
i dont think so his question may have been for everyone but the oracle only specified for him so he may as well have asked do I get a happy ending

No the question wasn't about any people, it was about the story. Will it have a happy ending? Yes. (Not from everyone's perspective, though.)

Forikroder
2013-10-06, 12:42 AM
No the question wasn't about any people, it was about the story. Will it have a happy ending? Yes. (Not from everyone's perspective, though.)

the story could end in a "rocks fall everyone dies" way except Elan will see it as a happy ending

like if Elan got brainwashed or switchs sides or was the one who got vamped

even if Elan sees the story as having a happy ending doesnt mean that we will

Cavenskull
2013-10-06, 01:12 AM
Why is there constant debate over this? Elan already acknowledged his happy ending (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0334.html).

hamishspence
2013-10-06, 03:20 AM
Because of the question being phrased as "Will this story have a happy ending".

PyCryptoFTW
2013-10-06, 03:57 AM
My current theory is that it involves him transcending to become an elan (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/monsters/elan.htm).

Bonus points if Haley and Elan get married and both transcend, because she'll be taking his name.

(Which is especially funny, because as far as we've seen, Haley has a last name, but Elan doesn't.)

ahahah, I love these crazy theories anyway :smallbiggrin:
you suppose that, when Author choose the name of the dumb-supporter-character-in-a-skill-points-parody-table, deep inside of his subconscious, there was a reference for a psionic monster ? :smallwink:

trivia: that's what happy ending remind to me: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=happy+ending :smalltongue:

FujinAkari
2013-10-06, 04:00 AM
the story could end in a "rocks fall everyone dies" way except Elan will see it as a happy ending

like if Elan got brainwashed or switchs sides or was the one who got vamped

even if Elan sees the story as having a happy ending doesnt mean that we will

... except, as already stated, the author has explicitly stated that the purpose of that prophesy is to assure the readers that the story won't end negatively, just as Durkon's prophesy was to prepare them that there would be some bad stuff before all was said and done.

theinsulabot
2013-10-06, 08:19 AM
see, if you were going to do elan gets a happy ending as a pun, what you should have said was belkar took elan to his favorite massage parlor.

rodneyAnonymous
2013-10-06, 05:04 PM
In talking about oracles and prophecies, Exact Words are very important. There is nothing that Elan "might as well have asked".

Kish
2013-10-07, 01:45 PM
In exactly the same way that it implies that Redcloak will drown in Lemon-Lime Kool-Aid.

Dodom
2013-10-07, 02:22 PM
It implies that he's going to have a happy ending... in bed!

*runs away giggling immaturely*

Dwy
2013-10-07, 02:24 PM
you suppose that, when Author choose the name of the dumb-supporter-character-in-a-skill-points-parody-table, deep inside of his subconscious, there was a reference for a psionic monster ? :smallwink:

trivia: that's what happy ending remind to me: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=happy+ending :smalltongue:

I opened this thread to suggest that link of yours. Kudos.

Sloanzilla
2013-10-07, 02:36 PM
since we are on Elan (giggle), what was his plan that involved his dad and brother? He mentions it right before they go into Windy Canyon, I believe, but decides to keep it secret so it will work.

Souhiro
2013-10-10, 08:19 AM

The thing is, that if the Snarl is released, the gods are destroyed, 3/4 parts of the world is annihilated and the world is in a dark age that would last for millenia; even then, that could be a happy ending. For Xykon and Redcloak.

But having those two cast in the Abbyss, or suffering the spells "Eternity of Torture" and then some kind of "Oblivion" to ensure that nobody, EVER will rescue them, it would be a sad end... for those the Lich and the Gobbo, but not neccesary for the good guys!

rs2excelsior
2013-10-10, 09:16 AM

No, it implies that SOMEONE else doesn't. It means that a) some people will have a happy ending and b) Elan will not be one of those people.

It could mean that Elan will be the only one to get a happy ending. It also could mean that everyone except for, say Xykon and Redcloak gets a happy ending. Which means the oracle almost had to say that, given that the Order's and Team Evil's ideas of a happy ending are mutually exclusive.

Ghost Nappa
2013-10-10, 09:39 AM

No. But as one trained in the Force, I know that true coincidences are rare.

hagnat
2013-10-10, 10:03 AM
belkar is evil
v has some issues by siding with the evil side
durkula is evil, an entry in the monster manual, and durkon will have a lot of trouble dealing with that if he ever manages to return to normal

so...
your theory for elan's happy ending... is for him to turn into another monster ?
dun think so

Souhiro
2013-10-11, 03:19 AM
Elan's ultimate happy ending will be that He and the rest of the Order can put their hand in some "STICK MORPHERS" that would give all of them 21 ranger levels, transforming then in the Mighty Morphin Stick Rangers.

So Elan will get a Zord (and only he would be able to pilot it, since he's the only one with ranks in Ride) ¿His Zord? Dinozord Elanosaurus Rex.

Also... remember that THIS STORY HAD A HAPPY END! The gates were saved, the friends reunited, everybody happy, Elan & Nale as (reluctant) brothers and Elan's mom and dad marrying again... A pity that it was an illusion, but IT WAS AN END.

Kish
2013-10-11, 04:28 AM
IT WAS AN END.
Really? Huh. I didn't realize the story was over. I guess I'll stop expecting Rich to post any more strips now.

warrl
2013-10-12, 12:14 AM
At this point we're expecting that the story will NOT have a happy ending for Nale or Belkar. They appear to be moving toward less-than-pleasant afterlives in short order (Nale has a head start, there's still a nonzero chance that Belkar will be redeemed and get a neutral afterlife).

Durkon is qualified to return home now, according to the Oracle's prophecy. That probably won't be particularly happy for the other dwarves of his homeland, according to another prophecy.

So obviously not everyone is getting a happy ending.

However, Elan is. Which is a strong hint that Haley probably is too. Also it implies that the group will fulfill Roy's father's blood oath, which is good for Roy (although there's nothing saying Roy will survive the event).

In turn that's unhappy for Xykon.

As for Redcloak, either the ritual won't be completed (unhappy) or it will for one reason or another turn out to not matter (ambiguous). Either of these would probably count as a "happy ending to this story" for all the gods except maybe the Dark One.

Vaarsuvius, appropriately, is in a thoroughly ambiguous situation. V already has an unhappy ending to one important part of V's life, and a rather depressing anticlimactic ending to another. The world survives, but once the quest is done V has no defined place in the world.

Tarquin just watched his happy ending ride off on the back of a dinosaur. One of HIS dinosaurs, hijacked in combat.

Emanick
2013-10-12, 02:55 AM
At this point we're expecting that the story will NOT have a happy ending for Nale or Belkar. They appear to be moving toward less-than-pleasant afterlives in short order (Nale has a head start, there's still a nonzero chance that Belkar will be redeemed and get a neutral afterlife).

Durkon is qualified to return home now, according to the Oracle's prophecy. That probably won't be particularly happy for the other dwarves of his homeland, according to another prophecy.

So obviously not everyone is getting a happy ending.

However, Elan is. Which is a strong hint that Haley probably is too. Also it implies that the group will fulfill Roy's father's blood oath, which is good for Roy (although there's nothing saying Roy will survive the event).

Also, Roy probably can't die permanently, either. I have a hard time seeing Elan consider his ending anything but bittersweet if his best friend is gone forever.

ReaderAt2046
2013-10-13, 01:41 PM
Why would Elan want to become an elan?

To be able to live forever with Haley?

AgentofHellfire
2013-10-13, 01:48 PM
To be able to live forever with Haley?

In the same sort of way Elan becoming a vampire would allow him to live forever with Haley. He'd be a totally different person.

Zmeoaice
2013-10-13, 02:36 PM

I've always thought that if they get married Elan will take Haley's last name. Partially because we don't even know if he has a last name, and Elan Starshine sounds cool.