PDA

View Full Version : DM's creating PbP game concepts then abandoning them

littlebum2002
2013-10-05, 08:33 PM
This has happened to me twice on these boards, and I'm curious to know what the etiquette is. A DM creates a "recruiting players" thread, gives a great (and of course completed) concept, people spend lots of time creating their characters for the game, and the DM just... disappears.

In one game, I emailed the DM, and he came back to the thread for awhile, even though he acted a little snippish for having been bothered through email. (Probably not the kind of DM one would want anyway). Since then he has been silent for 2 weeks.

Another thread is still somewhat young. The DM was answering lots of questions at first, then disappeared and hasn't posted for a week.

My first question is: why do people do this? If you want people to create a character, they spend a LOT if time doing it. If you then become disinterested in the game, or find out you are short on free time, why not mention this so the players can get a new DM? I know every day people create characters that don't end up being used, but there's a huge difference between only picking some applications and simply abandoning everyone to an unknown fate.

2) would it be rude if I started a new thread, posted the same rules that were in the old thread, pointed everyone who got shafted to the new thread, then asked for someone to DM the game? It sounds a bit rude to go over the head of a DM who created a concept then use it for my own, but I'd he really cared, he would have at least given notice before going AWOL, wouldn't you think?

What is the right thing to do in these situations?

The Insanity
2013-10-05, 08:45 PM
Just post in the original thread that the DM is unavailable and you're looking for a replacement.

Squirrel_Dude
2013-10-05, 08:48 PM
1. IME PbPs have a hard time getting past the first combat, and a hard time getting started. Don't get too down, try and find another way to game or keep trying to make it work.

2. No, it would not be rude.

nedz
2013-10-06, 08:07 AM
It happened to me all three times I tried to get into a PbP on this forum — I gave up.

Malak'ai
2013-10-06, 08:40 AM
I have nothing to say about the first situation. If the DM got snotty because someone asked what was happening about the game, then that's his problem.

As for the second, remember, sometimes life just gets in the way.
One PbP game I applied for, recruitment went like a bat out of hell for the first week then it was nearly 3 weeks since we heard from the DM because of family/work/health reasons.
Since it's still quite early, flick them a PM or e-mail and just keep watching the thread.

littlebum2002
2013-10-06, 09:14 AM
Thanks all. I'll try contacting the DM once more, and if he flakes out again, I'll just post for a new DM.

I hate spending all the time to make a character only to have him not be used, but that's more a problem of PbP in general, since you always have more people apply then open spaces.