PDA

View Full Version : What level would this spell be?

Zorgoth
2013-10-05, 08:58 PM
Enhanced floating disk:
Target: 1 willing creature or None
Effect: 1 disk, diamater up to 2 ft + 1 / 2 CLs
Range: Close
Duration: 1 hour/level (D)
Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless) or No
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless) or No

This spell creates an invisible disk of force with a diameter of up to two feet plus one foot per two caster levels (there will be a cap depending on what the spell level is). The caster always knows the location of the disk. The disk can be moved (as if flying with perfect maneuverability, within the spell range and line of effect) at a speed of 40 feet. A double move action does not increase the speed, but if the caster is on top of he disk it allows him/her to direct the disk to follow a course to any point within sight. If the caster gives the disk another movement command the course is cancelled. The disk can carry up to 50 pounds per caster level per foot of diameter, and remains level under normal circumstances. Objects held by the disk are considered to be attended/held by the caster for the purpose of any effect targeting or affecting such objects that allows a Will save. The caster may fly on top of the disk for up to 16 hours without imposing forced march penalties as long as food, water, and shelter are available on the disk. The disk itself is immune to most magical effects, but is cancelled by disintegrate, a rod of cancellation, a sphere of annihilation, or mage's disjunction and suppressed by an anti-magic field. A dispel magic spell does not end the effect, but prevents telepathic control of the disk for 1d4 rounds.

If targeted at a creature within the weight limit of the spell, the disk attaches itself firmly to the creature's feet (or as appropriate) and control of the disk's flight is granted to the target creature, which can now fly upright at a speed of 40 feet with perfect maneuverability. The caster does not need to remain in range or in line of effect. The creature can set a determined course one round in advance with a double move, allowing it to take a full-round action the next turn while moving. An effect that would knock down or push the creature were it standing on level ground destabilizes it, causing it to fall 30 feet before the disk restabilizes automatically. The creature can dismiss the disk as free action. Forced march penalties apply as usual in this case.

Venusaur
2013-10-05, 09:10 PM
I'd say it's probably on par with Overland flight, so probably no less than level 5. You can cast it on other people and carry other junk, but it's way less discreet, so it probably evens out.

visigani
2013-10-05, 09:12 PM
6... at a minimum.

It lasts as long as overland flight... but with additional benefits.

John Longarrow
2013-10-05, 09:58 PM
I'd also go for 6th. It is basically overland flight that adds a lot of extra weight you can carry AND gives you the fly by attack feat for free. The amount of weight it can carry as a 6th level spell would be at minmun 50 * 11 (Caster level) * (2 initial diameter + 5 (11th level /2 ) ) or 50*11*7 = 3,850.

For the ability to fly around almost two tons of goodies you are talking a serious spell.

Toss on its immunity to dispel magic and I'm thinking at least 7th. Drop the non-dispellable portion and you are closer to 6th. If you drop the increasing diameter and effectively caster multiplied by caster portion for the weight (and the funky commands that let you get a full round action while moving) and you back to 6th or maybe 5th.

TuggyNE
2013-10-05, 10:11 PM
6... at a minimum.

It lasts as long as overland flight... but with additional benefits.

In particular, it's close-range instead of personal. That alone is worth a spell level.

As written it might plausibly be a 7th.

Zorgoth
2013-10-05, 10:57 PM
OK... I'm thinking that I'd probably want to split it into two weaker effects, one of which si a fifth or sixth level spell like overland flight and the other of which is a third level spell like fly.

The third level spell would have range close and duration of 1 min/level, 3 foot diamater, 100 lb/level capacity, and when dispelled by dispel magic (but not when disintegrated etc), telepathic control is immediately negated, but the disk falls at 60 feet/round for 1d6 rounds before disappearing (basically the same protection as fly spell). So basically it's like a slower fly spell with some added perks. I'd also allow you to cast it on top of your regular 1st-level floating disk, so you can get some more utility out of it for a limited time (at the end of the duration it reverts and disappears if it's not close enough to you and the ground).

The higher level spell would not be able to target other creatures (you could put another creature on it, but unless you were sitting on it you would be in control and you couldn't move it further than close range or out of line of effect). Diameter up to 8 feet, capacity 200 lbs/caster level. Same dispelling behavior as the 3rd level. You can't double move but you can ultimately fly the same distance per day as overland flight since you can camp out on the disk, and you can take allies and gear with you to the extent that you all fit on the disk. So it's probably sixth level I'd think.

I'd probably just maintain the full round action effect for the third level version. I don't see it as all that overpowered considering that you cannot control your movement (an enemy caster could ready an action to put a prismatic wall in front of you and you couldn't dodge it) and that taking the full round action requires sacrificing the previous round's standard action. It's worth something but it's not the be all and end all. You can't move at 80 feet per round by double moving so you are paying something.

For the higher level one I'd allow you to set a course, but make it a one minute action (so in ideal circumstances, every several minutes you fly you have to direct it again, but you aren't constantly having to control it, but you can't use the power effectively in combat).

Zorgoth
2013-10-05, 11:02 PM
My original motivation by the way was for a spell you could use to deliver things to a projected image (which can't carry anything for the purpose of casting spells like telekinesis (to throw arrows) or daylight). If you don't allow creatures to fly on it it's clearly no more than third level even at 1 hour/level I'd think, but given that I'm thinking of this for a sorcerer I'd have to give up fly to take it. But it's certainly true that the flying version is a very high level spell, hence the reason for splitting it into a third level short-duration Improved Floating Disk and a high-level long-duration Greater Floating Disk.

inuyasha
2013-10-05, 11:05 PM
6, definitely

PS this is the wrong subforum, the correct one is homebrew design

Zorgoth
2013-10-05, 11:10 PM
6, definitely

PS this is the wrong subforum, the correct one is homebrew design

Ah sorry. Is there a way I can move it or is it stuck now?

TuggyNE
2013-10-06, 12:15 AM
Ah sorry. Is there a way I can move it or is it stuck now?

Report the first post with the Report Post button, and ask for it to be moved to Homebrew.