PDA

View Full Version : Miko: the Poll

TigerHunter
2006-12-30, 11:36 PM
Inspired by this thread: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30607

I have to ask, how many people are in the Miko fan club?
So: do you like Miko, or hate her?

theKOT
2006-12-30, 11:54 PM
Don't you mean inspired by this thread? (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26516)
Yes, I'm a stinker.

Spiky
2006-12-30, 11:55 PM
Miko is one of the best characters in OOTS. As evidenced by the many, many threads about her.

TigerHunter
2006-12-30, 11:56 PM
Don't you mean inspired by this thread? (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26516)
Yes, I'm a stinker.

Damn. I ran a search for "Miko poll," but it didn't return anything.
My bad.

kerina
2006-12-31, 12:01 AM
Miko is a great character, but if I personally ever ran into her... I'd probably end up dead. She'd think I was evil once I started attacking her.

theKOT
2006-12-31, 12:01 AM
My bad.
Meh, all Miko topics are repeats by now. Besides, might be nice to get an update.

Spiky
2006-12-31, 12:03 AM
True. I notice I upped from Love to Hate Her to just plain Yes.

I think all the silly hatred on the forum makes me like her more and more. That and the scene with the MitD.

Demented
2006-12-31, 12:19 AM
These days it's almost required that a poll have a "Not another poll!" option.
It seems convenient. =D

Mr._Wilson
2006-12-31, 12:23 AM
I think she's a good character, but I personally can't stand her. I have no real reason or defense for said emotional response. I just don't like her worldview. I find it intolerant and abrasive. The day if and when she falls will bring a smile to my face. She's really close now, all she needs is just a little push...

I see strong similarities between Anakin Skywalker and Miko. (I also think Giant probably is writing a better fall with Miko than Lucas did with Anakin).

Adrius
2006-12-31, 12:37 AM
I think she's an absolutely ingenious character but as a person I find her reprehensible. Regardless, though I root for the people opposing her, I do consider myself a fan.

Right now I'm working on some fan art of her that will (theoretically) reflect my feelings on her.

TinSoldier
2006-12-31, 01:32 AM
I love her. The more I read the archives the more I love her. The more I read posts from people who dislike her the more I love her. I swear, I'm obsessed.

I know there were Miko fans here before I joined the boards but I may have been the first to put "Miko Fan Club" in my sig.

theKOT
2006-12-31, 02:02 AM
It's true...
I just took the leadership position because Tinny wasn't quick enough to claim it for 'imself. And look at that, hiding his Miko position in a spoiler... tsk tsk tsk.... he wouldn't have been able to cope with this job.

Nevrmore
2006-12-31, 02:45 AM
I like her as a character because of the great conflict she brings. I don't care about her as a real person because she's not a real person.

By the way, TinSoldier, I just wanted to say that I really like your OotS-style Kore avatar.

Ampersand
2006-12-31, 02:52 AM
(I also think Giant probably is writing a better fall with Miko than Lucas did with Anakin).

What, you don't think that "I'm all teenage emo and creepy obsessive about my dead mom and secret wife" is a good fall story? :smallsmile:

I love Miko to death as a character. As a person...probably not. I don't know if I could handle that kind of extreme Lawfullness all the time. And, ya'know, I like sleeping in my bed...going to using sharp rocks for a pillow would be an adjustment. Because, ya'know, she'd probably insist on that, given that beds and walls are the seeds of vice and corruption.

Demented
2006-12-31, 04:19 AM
Anakin's fall would have been far more sensible if it had been played by an actor worth his salt, or at least an actor that had salt in the first place.

As far as Miko....
I'm not exactly clear on the "as a character" bit. I enjoy reading her strips, but most of that's because I enjoy hating everything she stands for. Well, everything her character stands for, which is overbearing bossnards everywhere. Since, she, as a person–which is a character, confusingly–stands up for the Southern gods. I presume. She prays to them, at least. I don't really know enough about the Southern gods and their morals enough to hate them. In fact, I don't even know their morals. They seem pretty practical. Does that count as liking her as a character?

As a person, meh. So long as she doesn't try to convert me (to death or otherwise), I'm happy.

Blood
2006-12-31, 04:37 AM
Miko is a great character that contrasts well with the already clashing personalities of the OotS. However, as a person, I would hate her.

God, I hope she doesn't go Anakin Skywalker and become a blackguard or something just to get revenge on the OotS. I like the fact that she can be LG and still be an antagonist. I can see how her transition from Good to Evil (and possibly Lawful to Neutral or Chaotic) would make for some great character development on both sides (and fight scenes), but I don't think it'd be a good move by the Giant.

Grim Oswald
2006-12-31, 08:27 AM
I like her in both respects. Go Miko!

tis_tom
2006-12-31, 10:44 AM
I love Miko! People's complaints about her are always unjustified! The truth of the matter is she's a good person who's just terribly misinformed! If anything Shojo is the evil one for not telling her and his paladins the entire story!

blackout
2006-12-31, 11:12 AM
HATE MIKO! DESTROY, DESTROY, DESTROY!*is insane*

wowy319
2006-12-31, 12:46 PM
As a person, I think miko is a paranoid, self-righteous, overzealous bitch. But the combination of paladin and monk is genius. So, I love her as a character, but if I were able to kill her, I wouldn't hesitate to do so.

Mr.Burn
2006-12-31, 12:49 PM
As a person: Mikos a ****

as a char: great ^^

But lets just drop Poles already, its anoying as a Ranger with sucky Spot checks

Lòkki Gallansbayne
2006-12-31, 02:43 PM
I absolutely love her as a character for the simple reason that her overzealousy and general personality rub me up the wrong way so much (I shan't say any more on my reasoning, everything I could possibly say about Miko has already been argued and counter-argued and counter-counter-argued ad nauseum a hundred thousand times already). You've got to have someone in there who for whatever reason you can't stand, otherwise it's no fun. :smallbiggrin:

Tiako
2006-12-31, 06:32 PM
Thank you for not having an option that says "Graah! I hate polls!"

As for my answer, I hate her. I am, after all, an untrustworthy ally (Just kidding).

The Extinguisher
2006-12-31, 06:40 PM
She's a damn good antagonist thats for sure. Props to Burlew for making a good (as in morallity) antagonist, and doing it well.

Green Bean
2006-12-31, 07:49 PM
Miko is an awesome character, and while she may be harsh sometimes, you've got to respect her convictions.

You have to remember that Miko is a paladin "whether any of YOU like it or not":smallbiggrin:

btw, how would I join the Miko fanclub?

TinSoldier
2006-12-31, 08:42 PM
btw, how would I join the Miko fanclub?Just sig it, man. Just sig it.

You will automatically receive a membership packet in the mail with an identity card, a certificate, and the weekly newsletter. Not to mention the regular parties, the official hat, and the special decoder ring.

:smallbiggrin: (Just kidding -- just sig it. That is all.)

Green Bean
2007-01-01, 06:40 AM
:elan: Aww, I wanted that decoder ring

Coffee_Dragon
2007-01-01, 08:29 AM
It's for your own good. The things you can decode with that ring are mind-shattering... wrong... just too horrible to contemplate. You never miss your Sanity points until they're gone.

Mike_G
2007-01-01, 10:00 AM
My bad.

Did you search up her ass?

'Cause that's where you find the Miko Pole.

Amon Star
2007-01-01, 10:21 AM
I like :miko: as a character because she is a well thought out antagonist and has a few funny moments. I like her as a person because even though she has many flaws I don't think she is without hope. She needs to lighten up alot, but most of her problems can be put down to her upbringing. Infact, if :roy: didn't turn on her, he could have done a lot of good.

TreesOfDeath
2007-01-01, 10:50 AM
Haven't I been here before?
Uh oh..... THE BOARD IS TRAPPED IN A TIME WARP!

Duraska
2007-01-01, 01:25 PM
I absolutely LOVE Miko. I have ever since #200 when we first really saw her. It helps that I love the Paladin class, but there's just something truly amazing about Miko that makes her my favorite character.

She's a Paladin, but she's not your typical plate-wearing, european, medieval-age knight. Instead she's an agile monkadin who dual-wields swords.

She's completely and utterly devoted to her duty. She's impossible to deter. I find that very appealing for some reason. I love the idea of someone who is so confident in their actions that they never negotiate. I love that single-minded, pure determination. Her essence is pure, and unfaltering. I find that beautiful in a way. She's honed like a knife. She knows what she wants and how to get it.

Couple that with the fact that she's a hot asian chick, and how can you go wrong?! :smallwink: heh

Green Bean
2007-01-01, 01:34 PM
Couple that with the fact that she's a hot asian chick, and how can you go wrong?! :smallwink: heh

:miko:- what is this Asia you speak of?

SpartacusThe2nd
2007-01-01, 01:39 PM
no.
she is to cruel and...I got nothing else to say

Mike_G
2007-01-01, 02:22 PM
:miko:- what is this Asia you speak of?

Well, with a name like Miko Myazaki, she proabbaly ain't Welsh.

I think we are safe referring to them (ethnically) as Asian, in the same way we can say Roy is black. I realize that we don't say "African" since the OotS world doesn't have an Africa any more than a Japan, but we can hardly call the Azure Citizens "yellows." That would proabably be frowned on.

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-01-01, 03:17 PM
As a character she's great fun, especially when she gets beaten up. As a person she makes my teeth hurt :smallfurious:

Gorbad the Limb Rippa
2007-01-01, 03:34 PM
I just dont like her,
so sue me.

Bluesilver
2007-01-01, 03:45 PM
I love Miko! People's complaints about her are always unjustified! The truth of the matter is she's a good person who's just terribly misinformed! If anything Shojo is the evil one for not telling her and his paladins the entire story!
I agree with him!

silvadel
2007-01-01, 04:35 PM
I look forward to a day when miko is a fighter without bonus feats -- go belkar :smallbiggrin:

Demented
2007-01-01, 05:18 PM
Well, if you wanted to be proper within the ootsland, you'd call Miko a "southerner". We don't know where anyone else comes from, though. The Oots are probably all northerners, since Roy didn't have a clue about Nowhere, Somewhere, Elsewhere, and Someplace Else.

And VT, stop chewing on Miko's armor. You know that's not where the chewy bits are.

TinSoldier
2007-01-01, 05:30 PM
Did you search up her ass?

'Cause that's where you find the Miko Pole.LOL for the pun and a troutsmack to go with it...

I like :miko: as a character because she is a well thought out antagonist and has a few funny moments. I like her as a person because even though she has many flaws I don't think she is without hope. She needs to lighten but alot, but most of her problems can be put down to her upbringing. Infact, if :roy: didn't turn on her, he could have done a lot of good.I agree. The more I read that strip the angrier I get at Roy. And I like Roy!

But stuff like that happens all the time in drama where two characters that you otherwise like just don't get along, or one says something to another that turns their relationship sour.

I still think it was mean of Roy, but his alignment is definitely not "Lawful Nice". He gets too much snark from his dad, I think.

Heh, speaking of Paladins in On the Origin of PCs, remember the one that abandoned Elan? OoPCs has at least two Paladins who are worse than Miko (even if the seem nicer).

Demented
2007-01-01, 05:59 PM
Not to mention Roy deals with Elan, Belkar, Haley and Vaarsuvius on a 24-hour basis. Maybe it reminds him of home.

Torpedo Ted
2007-01-01, 06:08 PM
I don't like her at, all but it adds to the story to put her in it.

P.S. how do you put a poll on your thread?

Finwe
2007-01-01, 08:04 PM
"THE" poll? Don't you mean "yet another poll out of billions?" I can think of stars that stand out of the night sky more than this poll stands out in the forum :smalltongue:

Tharj TreeSmiter
2007-01-02, 03:39 PM
"THE" poll? Don't you mean "yet another poll out of billions?" I can think of stars that stand out of the night sky more than this poll stands out in the forum :smallyuk:

If a certain thread or poll annoys or angers you the solution is easy... don't read the thread anymore. Let us not remember that we are trying to make a more hospitable message board than most that exist today.

public forum + annonymity = a**hole, is an all too true formula these days. Lets make sure it doesn't happen here too!

Amon Star
2007-01-02, 03:54 PM
I agree. The more I read that strip the angrier I get at Roy. And I like Roy!

But stuff like that happens all the time in drama where two characters that you otherwise like just don't get along, or one says something to another that turns their relationship sour.

I still think it was mean of Roy, but his alignment is definitely not "Lawful Nice". He gets too much snark from his dad, I think.

Totally agree. Though I dissed what :roy: did, I can completely understand why he did it. He did it because he's a person, like :miko:, and people aren't perfect. And by person I mean they are realisticly played Stick Figures and marks of The Giant's genius as a writer.

Heh, speaking of Paladins in On the Origin of PCs, remember the one that abandoned Elan? OoPCs has at least two Paladins who are worse than Miko (even if the seem nicer).

Sir Francois wasn't that bad. Considering what :elan: put him through, I think his behaviour was quite reasonable. The other one is a different matter entirely.

Finwe
2007-01-02, 07:09 PM
If a certain thread or poll annoys or angers you the solution is easy... don't read the thread anymore. Let us not remember that we are trying to make a more hospitable message board than most that exist today.

public forum + annonymity = a**hole, is an all too true formula these days. Lets make sure it doesn't happen here too!

The poll doesn't annoy me, and I didn't mean to come across as rude. I was just poking fun at its title.

Charles Phipps
2007-01-02, 11:00 PM
Mmmmm Miko.

Need more Japanese girl Paladins.

Tharj TreeSmiter
2007-01-03, 12:56 PM
The poll doesn't annoy me, and I didn't mean to come across as rude. I was just poking fun at its title.

I understand, sarcasm doesn't translate well accross the internet though, perhaps we need an emoticon for it.

Querzis
2007-01-03, 01:14 PM
Love her as a character because I hate her as a person. She is an antagonist after all so I'm supposed to hate her. Thats the problem with Nale and Thog, I like those two so I want them to win sometimes but I know it wont happen :smallfrown: . Anyway, I think that people who like Miko are people who are Lawfull in real life. After all she is almost more Lawfull Lawfull then Lawfull Good. One of my best friend is obviously Lawfull and he love her as a person, I'm Chaotic and I hate her so much as a person.

Its the same thing in OOTS, who are the only two people that didnt hate her from the start? The two only Lawfull guys (Durkon and Roy). Sure Roy started to hate her after a while but its because he is more Good Good then Lawfull Good (especially in Origin).

teratorn
2007-01-03, 02:35 PM
I love her. The more I read the archives the more I love her. The more I read posts from people who dislike her the more I love her. I swear, I'm obsessed.

I second that. "I'm obsessed" should have been an option in the pool.

Someone raised a point which worries me since the Belkar incident. It should have been a spoiler.
"The Fall of Miko" followed by "Miko's Redemption" could be fantastic story arcs but I hope the Giant avoids that. It would be too dark for a comic like OOTS. But I expect something dramatic involving Miko. I do fear for her.

TinSoldier
2007-01-03, 02:46 PM
Reading your post, I imagined a commercial for Calvin Klein's Obsession (a perfume) starring Miko...

Ampersand
2007-01-03, 04:48 PM
Anyway, I think that people who like Miko are people who are Lawfull in real life.

Hmm...I like Miko, but I wouldn't really describe myself as Lawful. If I had to pick an alignment, I'd say Neutral Angry :smallsmile:

"The Fall of Miko" followed by "Miko's Redemption" could be fantastic story arcs but I hope the Giant avoids that. It would be too dark for a comic like OOTS. But I expect something dramatic involving Miko. I do fear for her.

Any sort of "Fall of Miko" storyline would cause the end of the OotS as we know it. Roy, Belkar, V, and Haley would all die of simultaneous heart attacks/orgasms over having an excuse to gank her, and the Giant in the Playground webservers would crash and then catch on fire from all the people rushing to this board to post ASCII art of them dancing over Miko's body

Reading your post, I imagined a commercial for Calvin Klein's Obsession (a perfume) starring Miko...

"Lord Shojo's cat has ordered me to endorse this piece of prostitute's cosmetics. While I shall do so as my holy duty to the Sapphire Guard, all of you who even consider purchasing this concution of whale fat and lye are on the path to damnation, and you would do well to reconsider your wicked ways before the Twelve Gods call me to wreak a terrible vengence upon you and your lusty ilk."

Demented
2007-01-03, 05:05 PM
"Just shut up and pose! You don't have lines!"
"I do not appreciate being addressed in that manner. Let me remind you that an unarmed smite evil is still a smite evil."
"Guards, get this strumpet out of my studio!"

For some reason, I think the only one with any investment in Miko is Belkar. Well, and maybe V, but that's just an elf with an attitude. Though, if anything, Roy's saying Miko would never be a member of the OOTS is foreshadowing for the exact opposite. Not that Miko would ever assent to such a thing willingly, which screams the need for an atonement quest, or Shojo being a pain in the rear, as usual.

That said, if Miko fell, both Haley and Roy couldn't stop themselves from asking whether the stick is gone, seeing as how it's a class feature and all.

Manga Shoggoth
2007-01-03, 05:36 PM

"Lord Shojo's cat has ordered me to endorse this piece of prostitute's cosmetics. While I shall do so as my holy duty to the Sapphire Guard, all of you who even consider purchasing this concution of whale fat and lye are on the path to damnation, and you would do well to reconsider your wicked ways before the Twelve Gods call me to wreak a terrible vengence upon you and your lusty ilk."

Isn't ambergeris whale vomit rather than fat? If I recall correctly, whale fat was used in lipstick.

Querzis
2007-01-03, 06:06 PM
Hmm...I like Miko, but I wouldn't really describe myself as Lawful. If I had to pick an alignment, I'd say Neutral Angry :smallsmile:

Well at least you got the «angry» part which is pretty much half of her personnality. Even Thog rage is not as scary as her angry grin. Even that guy:smallfurious: doesnt look as much angry as her when she is pissed off. But you know you shoudnt describe yourself, it almost never work. I though I was a true neutral but everyone who know me say I would be Chaotic Good. I dont even want to be a good guy, but I just cant help it I guess:smallfrown: .

Tharj TreeSmiter
2007-01-03, 07:18 PM
[quote=Querzis;1772789]Anyway, I think that people who like Miko are people who are Lawfull in real life.quote]

I'm lawfull in real life and don't like Miko as a person but like her character. She is good for the plot and serves her purpose well however she embodies all the things that can go wrong with being lawfull.

Setra
2007-01-04, 03:27 AM
I just dont like her,
so sue me.
*hires O.J.'s Lawyer* Alrighty then! :smallcool:

In all honesty, sometimes I like her, other times I don't, right now I really like her, she is who she is, and whether or not anyone else has a problem with it, she remains ever zealous (albeit too much so).

I am gonna sign up with the Miko fanclub, she needs support!

Amon Star
2007-01-04, 10:10 AM
Anyway, I think that people who like Miko are people who are Lawfull in real life. After all she is almost more Lawfull Lawfull then Lawfull Good.

According to one of those tests, I'm NG. But I like :miko:. The reason I like her is that it is easier to admire someones virtues, but ignore there flaws, from afar. In real life she probably would piss the hell out of me.

"Just shut up and pose! You don't have lines!"
"I do not appreciate being addressed in that manner. Let me remind you that an unarmed smite evil is still a smite evil."
"Guards, get this strumpet out of my studio!"

ROTLF!!!