PDA

View Full Version : Summoner (3.5 Base Class, PEACH)

Falco1029
2013-10-06, 06:43 AM
OOC comments
This is my first real homebrew, and it's fairly blatantly inspired by the Pathfinder class of the same name, but this is more meant to follow the pattern of the Beguiler, the Dread Necromancer, and the Warmage; effectively very specialized sorcerers.

So, that in mind, here's my attempt at a Summoner class. Forgive the simple format and the lack of things like feat sections or guides. I may add to this in time.

Spell list I know needs more, feel free to make suggestions there. In general, I lowered only a few spell levels and raised a bunch that were more along the lines of 'travel' themes than 'summoner' themes, but that still seemed to be a good thing for a summoner to have.

As for class features, I'm open to suggestions, I didn't want to overload them but if they seem like they could use more feel free to suggest them to me. One thing I was considering was allowing them to turn/rebuke one type of outsider per X levels, but it seemed it might be a bit much. Also considering a 20th level capstone of raising duration to 1 hour/lvl for 1 Summoning spell at a time.

Summoner

Some wizards and sorcerers call upon the highest powers directly, shielding themselves with impenetrable armors, commanding the elements, and manipulating the laws of nature themselves to their whims. Others take the subtle route, manipulating and tricking others, through command or illusion. And some prefer to instead call other beings capable of doing that for them. These individuals, often times, are Summoners.

Making a Summoner

Summoners are great support casters, especially if the party already has a Sorcerer, Warmage, or Beguiler, or if the party lacks any real 'muscle' to fall back on. In addition, Summoners also learn to deal with and travel to the planes that their summons come from, to some extent, but generally not as fully as a Sorcerer or Wizard could.

Abilities: Summoners require a high Charisma, both to cast their spells and to negotiate with those called less directly. They also benefit from a high Constitution, given they're often involved in larger, chaotic battles, and can't always rely on their called in help to protect them. Intelligence also helps when learning about those creatures they wish to summon, to figure what best applies to a given situation.

Races: Humans and Half Elves are the most common Summoners, given the large number of nomadic sorts amongst both. Gnomes and Elves are probably next most likely, due to their magical tendencies and the amount of study required to learn about everything out there.

Alignment: Summoners are often Lawful, taking on a hierarchical bent and realizing the importance of a clear 'leader' and 'follower' set of categories. However, a character of any alignment may become a Summoner.

Hit Die: d4
Skill Points: 4 + Int modifier
Class Skills: Concentration, Craft, Diplomacy, Intimidate, Knowledge (Arcana), Knowledge (The Planes), Knowledge (Nature), Profession, Sense Motive, Speak Language, Spellcraft
Proficiencies: Summoners are proficient with simple weapons only.

Starting Gold: As Sorcerer
Starting Age: As Sorcerer

Table 1: The Summoner
Spells Per Day

Level
Base Attack Bonus
Fort Save
Ref Save
Will Save
Special

1st

+0

+0

+0

+2
Summon Familiar

2nd

+1

+0

+0

+3
Augment Summoning

3rd

+1

+1

+1

+3
Improved Familiar

4th

+2

+1

+1

+4
Advanced Learning

5th

+2

+1

+1

+4
Shortened Summoning

6th

+3

+2

+2

+5
Sudden Extend

7th

+3

+2

+2

+5
Reserve Summoning (-2)

8th

+4

+2

+2

+6
Advanced Learning

9th

+4

+3

+3

+6
Automatic Protection

10th

+5

+3

+3

+7
Quicken Summoning 1/day

11th

+5

+3

+3

+7
Reserve Summoning (-2)

12th

+6/+1

+4

+4

+8
Advanced Learning

13th

+6/+1

+4

+4

+8

14th

+7/+2

+4

+4

+9
Reserve Summoning (-1)

15th

+7/+2

+5

+5

+9
Quicken Summoning 2/day

16th

+8/+3

+5

+5

+10
Advanced Learning

17th

+8/+3

+5

+5

+10
Reserve Summoning (-1)

18th

+9/+4

+6

+6

+11
Shared Protection

19th

+9/+4

+6

+6

+11

20th

+10/+5

+6

+6

+12
Advanced learning, Quicken Summoning 3/day, Reserve Summoning (0)

-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-

-
-
-

-
-
-

-
-

-
-

-

-

Summoner's Spell List

Assume an appropriate Summon Monster and Summon Nature's Ally are both on each level. So level 5 has Summon Monster V and Summon Nature's Ally V, for instance.
Cantrips: Arcane Mark, Caltrops, Create Water, Detect Magic, Light, Open/Close, Prestidigitation, Read Magic, Resistance
Level 1: Alarm, Comprehend Languages, Expeditious Retreat, Grease, Hold Portal, Mage Armor, Mount, Protection from Good/Evil/Law/Chaos, Summon Component, Unseen Servant
Level 2: Arcane Lock, Cloud of Knives, Continual Flame, Locate Object, Resist Energy, Summon Swarm, Summon Weapon, Web
Level 3: Blink, Dispel Magic, Levitate, Magic Circle against Good/Evil/Law/Chaos, Phantom Steed, Protection from Energy, Tongues
Level 4: Black Tentacles, Dimensional Anchor, Fly, Locate Creature, Mage's Faithful Hound, Minor Creation, Secure Shelter, Shadow Conjuration
Level 5: Contact other Plane, Dimension Door, Dismissal, Insect Plague, Lesser Planar Binding, Magic Jar, Major Creation, Permanency, Secret Chest, Steal Summoning, Wall of Stone
Level 6: Greater Dispel Magic, Instant Summons, Overland Flight, Planar Binding, Repulsion, Teleport, True Seeing, Wall of Iron
Level 7: Banishment, Creeping Doom, Greater Shadow Conjuration, Mage's Magnificent Mansion, Shadow Walk, Simulacrum
Level 8: Antipathy, Binding, Dimensional Lock, Ethereal Jaunt, Greater Planar Binding, Greater Teleport, Plane Shift, Shades, Sympathy, Trap the Soul
Level 9: Abyssal Army, Astral Projection, Elemental Swarm, Freedom, Gate, Imprisonment, Storm of Vengeance, Summon Golem

Class Features

Spellcasting: A summoner casts arcane spells, which are drawn from the Summoner's Spell List above. He can cast any spell he knows without preparing it ahead of time the way a cleric or wizard must. When a Summoner gains access to a new level of spells, he automatically knows all the spells for that level listed on the Summoner's spell list. Essentially, his spell list is the same as his spells known list. Summoners also have the option of adding to their existing spell list through their advanced learning ability as they increase in level (see below).

To cast a spell, a Summoner must have a Charisma score of 10 + the spell's level (Cha 10 for 0-level spells, Cha 11 for 1st-level spells, and so forth). The Difficulty Class for a saving throw against a Summoner's spell is 10 + the spell's level + the Summoner's Charisma modifier. Like other spellcasters, a Summoner can cast only a certain number of spells of each spell level per day. His base daily spell allotment is given on Table 1—1: The Summoner. In addition, he receives bonus spells for a high Charisma score.

Unlike a cleric or a wizard, a Summoner need not prepare his spells in advance. He can cast any spell he knows at any time, assuming he has not yet used up his spells per day for that spell level.

Summon Familiar: A Summoner can summon a familiar similarly to a Wizard or Sorcerer. (See SRD)

At 3rd Level and above, he can Summon an improved familiar as equivalent to the Improved Familiar Feat.

Augment Summoning: At 2nd level, Summoners gain Augment Summoning as a bonus feat.

Advanced Learning: Every 4 levels, starting at 4th, a summoner may add a new spell to their list, representing the result of personal study and experimentation. The spell must be a Wizard/Sorcerer spell of the Conjuration school or any spell of the Summoning Subschool, and of a level no higher than that of the highest-level spell you already know. Once a new spell is selected, it is forever added to your spell list and can be cast just like any other spell on your list.

Shortened Summoning: At 5th level, Conjuration (Summoning) spells become almost rote to the Summoner, and the casting time of any spell of that sub-school that normally takes 1 round instead takes a standard action.

Sudden Extend: At 6th level, a Summoner gains Sudden Extend as a bonus feat.

Reserve Summoning: At 7th level and 11th level, a Summoner may choose a single creature from a Summon Monster or Summon Nature's Ally spell up to two levels lower than their maximum spell level. From that point on, that single creature can be summoned with that spell without expending a slot (similar to a Reserve feat). So, an 11th level caster could choose Fiendish Ape, and then cast Summon Monster III to summon a Fiendish Ape without wasting a spell slot, but would use them as normal to summon a Small Elemental instead.

Spells cast this way do NOT benefit from Shortened Summoning, nor Quicken Summoning below, and cannot benefit from any type of metamagic. In addition, only one instance of each chosen creature can be summoned at a time (But you can have creatures from multiple different chosen Reserves at once).

At 14th level and 17th level, another creature is chosen, but form a list up to only one level less than his maximum, and at 20th level, a Summoner may choose a creature from ANY of his Summon Monster or Nature's Ally spells.

Automatic Protection (Su): At 9th level, a Summoner is assumed to be under a Protection from one of Good/Evil/Law/Chaos spell for all purposes. The alignment being protected against can be changed as an Immediate Action once per turn.

Quicken Summoning: Starting at 10th level, once per day, a spell of the Summoning sub-type with a casting time of 1 full round or less can be quickened, as the Sudden Quicken feat, without raising its level. Spells cast this way cannot use Reserve summoning as explained above. Every 5 levels over 10 allows this to be done once more per day; twice at 15 and three times at 20.

Shared Protection (Su): At 18th level, a Summoner can, as a swift action, extend his Protection against an alignment out in a circle with a radius of 5' per level, as a Magic Circle against (alignment) spell directed outward and moving with the Summoner. It can then be dropped as a free action any time afterward, and automatically drops if the Summoner changes the alignment he's protected against.

Falco1029
2013-10-06, 06:58 AM
Change Log

10/7/2013 - Changed reserve summoning to rebalance it. Now must choose a specific creature each time, but added more instances of it on the chart

bekeleven
2013-10-06, 08:17 AM
Hm. So, I was an hour or two away from posting my own 3.5 summoning base class, so the theme has been something on my mind.

My main question is: What is the goal of this class? Is it just to give a tier 3 alternative to wizard/sorc for summoning? Did you also want to present mechanical or character options that the sorc/wiz lack, like the beguiler and dread necro?

Your class features amount to a familiar, a feat, a feat, making the spell list less limited (as beguiler), a familiar-equivalent ACF, a feat, RESERVE SUMMONING, a Su (as unseelie fey/8000 GP magical item), 1 through 3 limited feats, and an aura (as Unicorn/~60-90k magical item).

You may notice that I view reserve summoning as the class feature of note here. Every spell level opens up new levels of all-day versatility. For instance, when this class is casting 5ths it has all the healing it would ever need. I can confidently say that nobody seriously building this class would ever settle for a number of levels besides 1(never discount the dip), 7, 14 or 20.

You followed the beguiler as a very close guide. I have an instinctive negative reaction to the class, and I want to say it's because you only have one or two meaningful mechanics, but it's probably because you stole my spotlight.

Also, although it's a non-issue for bonus feats and "you can quicken X times per day", you should put some ability type tags on things like the protection/magic circles. It matters in gameplay for things like spell resistance.

Falco1029
2013-10-06, 05:13 PM
Hm. So, I was an hour or two away from posting my own 3.5 summoning base class, so the theme has been something on my mind.

My main question is: What is the goal of this class? Is it just to give a tier 3 alternative to wizard/sorc for summoning? Did you also want to present mechanical or character options that the sorc/wiz lack, like the beguiler and dread necro?

The main purpose is, yes, a Tier 3 or so alternative, something on the same level as the aforementioned necromancers, beguilers, and warmages.

Your class features amount to a familiar, a feat, a feat, making the spell list less limited (as beguiler), a familiar-equivalent ACF, a feat, RESERVE SUMMONING, a Su (as unseelie fey/8000 GP magical item), 1 through 3 limited feats, and an aura (as Unicorn/~60-90k magical item).

You may notice that I view reserve summoning as the class feature of note here. Every spell level opens up new levels of all-day versatility. For instance, when this class is casting 5ths it has all the healing it would ever need. I can confidently say that nobody seriously building this class would ever settle for a number of levels besides 1(never discount the dip), 7, 14 or 20.

That's true. My idea was to take the 'Summon Elemental' reserve feat and make it a little more varied, but they really do give you way too many options.

What do people think of me tweaking it so Reserve Summons instead become a SINGLE creature of your choice that you can summon that way from your currently available lists each time. So, the Reserve Summon -2 would let you take anyone thing from Summon 3 or below, for instance.

You followed the beguiler as a very close guide. I have an instinctive negative reaction to the class, and I want to say it's because you only have one or two meaningful mechanics, but it's probably because you stole my spotlight.

Also, although it's a non-issue for bonus feats and "you can quicken X times per day", you should put some ability type tags on things like the protection/magic circles. It matters in gameplay for things like spell resistance.

Well, the general idea was to create a summoner, and expand them a bit. As I said, this IS admittedly my first class, so I tried to stick with a basic theme and not take too many risks, but did want them to have something they could do that nobody else could do as well (The reserve summoning and shortened summoning quickly give them that). Sorry if I accidentally stole your spotlight, heh.

And yeah, I'll get on that.

bekeleven
2013-10-07, 08:40 AM
What do people think of me tweaking it so Reserve Summons instead become a SINGLE creature of your choice that you can summon that way from your currently available lists each time. So, the Reserve Summon -2 would let you take anyone thing from Summon 3 or below, for instance.So, basically persistent but only one at a time? Sounds pretty fair to me.

Well, the general idea was to create a summoner, and expand them a bit. As I said, this IS admittedly my first class, so I tried to stick with a basic theme and not take too many risks, but did want them to have something they could do that nobody else could do as well (The reserve summoning and shortened summoning quickly give them that). Sorry if I accidentally stole your spotlight, heh.Now I have to decide if I post mine today, or disappear for another month and then post a summoner with a reserve summoning ability of mysterious origin... by coincidence, of course.

TripleD
2013-10-07, 10:31 AM
Reserve Summoning is interesting, but seems a bit overpowered number-wise (as the other posters have said) due to the incredible versatility you get at higher levels. Fluff-wise, it's a bit boring. It shows you can summon more often, but not that you're more in tune with the outer planes. I'd make two tweaks to the class

Class Features

Spontaneous Summon - Starting from level 1, a summoner may cast a "Summon Monster" spell of equivalent or lesser level by giving up an unused spell.

True Thaumaturgy - While summoners may lack the breadth of a wizards planeswalking magic, their narrow focus allows them to weave astral connections that few other spell-wrights can.

Starting at level 3, a summoner may, once per day, cast a "Summon Monster" spell in a manner similar to "Summon Planar Ally". That is, while the duration and cost of the spell is the same as the "Summon Monster" spell, the creature summoned is actually brought from its home to the material plane.

The summoned creature is understandably reluctant to risk its life in this state but, when the spell expires, any items placed on the summoned monster return to the plane with it. Later, when casting "Summon Monster" normally, the summoner may choose to summon the exact creature from before. Any items given to the creature, and the effects they cause, appear with it.

Note: A creature can only give back an item during a True Theurgy. You cannot, for example, use True Theurgy to give a celestial monkey a wand, and then summon it normally later to get the wand back.

For every three levels after level 3, a summoner may use "True Theurgy" once more per day, to a maximum of 6 times at level 18.

Falco1029
2013-10-07, 05:13 PM
Reserve Summoning is interesting, but seems a bit overpowered number-wise (as the other posters have said) due to the incredible versatility you get at higher levels. Fluff-wise, it's a bit boring. It shows you can summon more often, but not that you're more in tune with the outer planes. I'd make two tweaks to the class

Class Features

Spontaneous Summon - Starting from level 1, a summoner may cast a "Summon Monster" spell of equivalent or lesser level by giving up an unused spell.

I'm confused. How would this be of any benefit to a caster that casts like a Sorcerer?

True Thaumaturgy - While summoners may lack the breadth of a wizards planeswalking magic, their narrow focus allows them to weave astral connections that few other spell-wrights can.

Starting at level 3, a summoner may, once per day, cast a "Summon Monster" spell in a manner similar to "Summon Planar Ally". That is, while the duration and cost of the spell is the same as the "Summon Monster" spell, the creature summoned is actually brought from its home to the material plane.

The summoned creature is understandably reluctant to risk its life in this state but, when the spell expires, any items placed on the summoned monster return to the plane with it. Later, when casting "Summon Monster" normally, the summoner may choose to summon the exact creature from before. Any items given to the creature, and the effects they cause, appear with it.

Note: A creature can only give back an item during a True Theurgy. You cannot, for example, use True Theurgy to give a celestial monkey a wand, and then summon it normally later to get the wand back.

For every three levels after level 3, a summoner may use "True Theurgy" once more per day, to a maximum of 6 times at level 18.

So, the main benefit of this is to be able to buff a specific summons with items over time then? I'm not sure I understand.

For the moment, I'm going to tweak reserve summoning as mentioned, but that doesn't mean I'm tossing this away, I'd just like to hear more about the idea.

Alabenson
2013-10-07, 05:56 PM
Right now, the Summoner looks to me like a very powerful class, at least Tier-2, possibly even Tier-1. If you were aiming for Tier-3, I would recommend removing Gate and the various Planar Binding spells from the Summoner's spell list; these are by far some of the most powerful spells in the game. You may also want to consider adding Summon Elemental Monolith from the Spell Compendium; it's a fairly powerful 9th level summoning spell, but nowhere nearly as broken as Gate.

I would also add a provision that the Summoner cannot have more than one creature from his Reserve Summoning class feature summoned at a time, which would help prevent abuse of the ability.

Falco1029
2013-10-07, 07:51 PM
Right now, the Summoner looks to me like a very powerful class, at least Tier-2, possibly even Tier-1. If you were aiming for Tier-3, I would recommend removing Gate and the various Planar Binding spells from the Summoner's spell list; these are by far some of the most powerful spells in the game. You may also want to consider adding Summon Elemental Monolith from the Spell Compendium; it's a fairly powerful 9th level summoning spell, but nowhere nearly as broken as Gate.

I would also add a provision that the Summoner cannot have more than one creature from his Reserve Summoning class feature summoned at a time, which would help prevent abuse of the ability.

The Dread necromancer has Planar binding, and is considered Tier 3 even if you give him the magic circle he's desperately missing. I don't mind this class being a low Tier 2, but it's definitely not tier 1 just because of Gate.

Still, the provision about the Reserve Summoning is probably a good one, though I'll make it one per reserve.

TripleD
2013-10-08, 06:29 AM
I'm confused. How would this be of any benefit to a caster that casts like a Sorcerer?

*Facepalm*

And that, boys and girls, is why you don't post mechanic changes at 1 am, stuffed up and unable to sleep.

So, the main benefit of this is to be able to buff a specific summons with items over time then? I'm not sure I understand.

That's pretty much the idea. From what I get with this class, it's the summoning s who will be doing most of the work. By buffing them with items ahead of time you can use that time to buff your PC allies and yourself.

But it's about more than just buffing. There's all kinds of cool things you could do with this.

Worried that your chief battle-summon might not be able to hear you? Give them a helm of telepathy. Need to move something at a distance and you're too low a level to use telekinesis? Just give 1d4+1 owls a "Hand of the Mage" each and you'll be moving 10 to 25 pounds in no time.

My personal favourite: "The Monkey Butlers". Give a bunch of celestial monkeys "Handy Haversacks". When you're in the lair of the big bad, spam "Summon Monster" until your troop is assembled, then order them to grab everything that isn't nailed down. Later you can collect the bags at your leisure.

For the moment, I'm going to tweak reserve summoning as mentioned, but that doesn't mean I'm tossing this away, I'd just like to hear more about the idea.

Reading it again with a clearer head, it is a pretty balanced idea. I like that you narrowed it to only apply to one type of creature.

Falco1029
2013-10-08, 06:43 AM
*Facepalm*

And that, boys and girls, is why you don't post mechanic changes at 1 am, stuffed up and unable to sleep.

That's pretty much the idea. From what I get with this class, it's the summoning s who will be doing most of the work. By buffing them with items ahead of time you can use that time to buff your PC allies and yourself.

But it's about more than just buffing. There's all kinds of cool things you could do with this.

Worried that your chief battle-summon might not be able to hear you? Give them a helm of telepathy. Need to move something at a distance and you're too low a level to use telekinesis? Just give 1d4+1 owls a "Hand of the Mage" each and you'll be moving 10 to 25 pounds in no time.

My personal favourite: "The Monkey Butlers". Give a bunch of celestial monkeys "Handy Haversacks". When you're in the lair of the big bad, spam "Summon Monster" until your troop is assembled, then order them to grab everything that isn't nailed down. Later you can collect the bags at your leisure.

Reading it again with a clearer head, it is a pretty balanced idea. I like that you narrowed it to only apply to one type of creature.

Alright, I can see how that could be useful. I'll ponder over that a bit and see if I can work it in with Reserve summons, since I do like both ideas.