PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Arcane Disciple Feat for DN

Chester
2013-10-06, 02:29 PM
Hello!

I want to take Arcane Disciple to give some cool stuff to my Dread Necromancer.

I'm wondering:
1. Do I get bonus feats associated with domains (like Extend Spell for Planning Domain)?
2. Any other good ones that don't repeat spells I already have?

Curmudgeon
2013-10-06, 02:34 PM
Benefit: Add the chosen domain's spells to your class list of arcane spells. You get the spells on your class list, and that's all. You don't get the granted power of the domain.

AlanBruce
2013-10-06, 02:38 PM
I don't believe you get access to domain granted powers with the feat. Only the spell list.

Arcane Disciple:

Add the chosen domain's spells to your class list of arcane spells. If you have arcane spellcasting ability from more than one class, you must pick which arcane spellcasting ability this feat applies to. Once chosen, this decision cannot be changed for that feat. You may learn these spells as normal for your class; however, you use Wisdom (rather than the normal ability for your spellcasting) when determining the save DC for the spell. In addition, you must have a Wisdom score equal to 10 + the spell's level in order to prepare or cast a spell gained from this feat. Each day, you may prepare (or cast, if you cast spells without preparation) a maximum of one of these domains spells of each level.

You might want to raise your wisdom, unless the spells you want require no saves.

As for repeat spells, I haven't checked on the DN's spell list, but I'm sure it covers a lot of necromancy. A popular choice is the Travel Domain. Have your dread necromancer worship Fharlanghn, god of travel. He is, as far as I know, the only core deity with the Travel Domain, which should give you access to spells like Teleport, which I'm pretty certain the Dread Necromancer does not have access to.

Chester
2013-10-06, 02:40 PM
You get the spells on your class list, and that's all. You don't get the granted power of the domain.

OK, thanks. Better off just taking Extend Spell.

QuickLyRaiNbow
2013-10-06, 02:43 PM
Depends on what you want it for. It's a good way to expand your spell list and get a little more flexibility - I've really enjoyed having Charm Person on an Enchantment-banning Wizard in an E6 game recently.

lsfreak
2013-10-06, 05:04 PM
It can be worth grabbing Undeath domain so that you get Animate Dead two levels earlier, and get access to Desecrate. Then retrain it at 8th level, except maybe if you're finding it impossible to befriend a cleric for their Desecrate.

Planar Touchstone (Catalogues of Enlightenment) gets you a domain granted power. Deathbound increases the HD cap you can animate with a single spell to 3 times your HD; combine that with Desecrate and a DN's Undead Mastery and if you find something that strong you can pop out somewhere around 75HD of undead in one go (more than you can control, actually) :smalltongue: I'm not actually sure that's worth it, I think two of Undead Mastery, Desecrate, and Deathbound Domain is going to be plenty, and you want Desecrate anyways for the extra hit points.