PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Alchemist Improved Tumor Familiar

Mr. Whatever
2013-10-06, 03:09 PM
OK so this one clearly requires GM approval, but I was wondering; if an alchemist has the tumor familiar discovery, could he take the improved familiar feat? Personally, I would say "Yes but only for a homunculus pet" because it is stated repeatedly that the alchemist is not an actual spell caster. However, I feel the homunculus fits the alchemist quite nicely and would allow it, if I were GM.

Would you?

Of course, even if you would allow it, is it actually worth it at all?

Also I post a lot about Alchemists. I'm gonna start another thread later that has nothing to do with them, just to be different <.<

grarrrg
2013-10-06, 03:39 PM
Personally, I would say "Yes but only for a homunculus pet" because it is stated repeatedly that the alchemist is not an actual spell caster.

Technically no, they cannot take it (or if they can, it really does nothing), as Improved Familiar specifically says "Arcane Spellcasting level".

But for all functional purposes they are a caster (and more likely Arcane than Divine, but technically neither). And the designers are aware (http://paizo.com/paizo/faq/v5748nruor1fn#v5748eaic9qdk) of this oddity.

So RAW answer is No, but the semi-reasonable answer is Yes.

As for whether it is worth it or not, that depends on your play style, and other factors.

StreamOfTheSky
2013-10-06, 07:55 PM
They count as a caster for the purposes of the familiar, it should work. I guess it's a little questionable and might not fly in a PF Society game, but otherwise I don't see why not.

Is it worth it? I don't know... you have to pay a feat and you lose the familiar bonus, which is often worth a feat all on its own (like +4 initiative), it's pretty rough. On the other hand, you have UMD as a class skill, so if you've been pumping ranks into it, getting a familiar that can actually use wands is pretty nice.

My alchemist got a Faerie Dragon and I was quite happy with it, especially b/c my DM let me pick its spells known and feats. The 100 ft telepathy came in handy a lot, and the breath weapon isn't terrible. He'd just perch on my shoulder and unleash it. I was considering getting Improved Share Spells before the game abruptly ended, just so when I got greater mutagen at 12th and thus +4 Con, I could share it with the dragon to boost his BW save DC. (Tumor Familiar says you can share extracts and mutagen via Share Spells; the feat lets both of you get it instead of just one)