PDA

View Full Version : [WitchCraft] Dresden?

JustineSane
2013-10-06, 03:56 PM
For those of us who like a little more structure in their games, what do y'all have to say about a Dresdenverse using Uni? Would it translate well? Besides rewriting the core setting, what other things do you think I would have to do to make this work well?

Grinner
2013-10-06, 04:17 PM
Not a whole lot, I think.

Do you have access to any of the sourcebooks?

JustineSane
2013-10-06, 04:31 PM
Both DF & WC, actually. I've been seeing a lot of positive feedback about the Buffy/Cinematic Unisystem as well - should I get that, too? Never played, and just want a little less fate-y system to run DF in.

Grinner
2013-10-06, 05:00 PM
I meant the Witchcraft sourcebooks, mainly the Mystery Codex. The magic system presented in the core book is gimped, and from what I remember, the Mystery Codex rounds it out a bit.

Grod_The_Giant
2013-10-06, 09:10 PM
just want a little less fate-y system to run DF in.
Mutants and Masterminds (www.d20herosrd.com)would work really well, actually. The Dresden Files feature a lot of high-octane, cinematic, almost comic-book fight scenes, which are exactly what M&M is good at running. Plus, complications are like a less-omnipresent (even optional!) version of FATE's compels, which is nice.

If you're a caster, use a standard array for your evocations, and the Ritualist advantage for thaumaturgy. If you want to play Thomas, one of the Alphas, anything of that nature-- well, the system handles all that just fine. If you want a pure mortal... well, you have all the standard issues that come from putting Batman and Green Lantern on the same team, but if you know what you're doing (or get help) you can make a pretty effective M&M character without "superpowers."