PDA

View Full Version : Summon Undead Question

Chester
2013-10-06, 05:54 PM
Can the undead that my necromancer summons do a full attack the round in which they enter the battle?

For instance, when I summon an Owlbear skeleton, can it Claw/Claw/Bite right away, or must I wait until the next round?

Lord Haart
2013-10-06, 06:01 PM
Yes, it can make a full attack on your turn as soon as it appears.

Note, however, that like Summon Monster X and Summon Nature's Ally lines, Summon Undead X normally has a casting time of "1 round". Quote SRD: "A spell that takes 1 round to cast is a full-round action. It comes into effect just before the beginning of your turn in the round after you began casting the spell. You then act normally after the spell is completed." So unless you have a way to reduce the casting time (dedicated summoners do, dedicated necromancers usually don't bother much with a line of spells that isn't even classified as Necromancy and is mostly a panic button for when real undead are not avaiable or a way to keep some style on lower levels), the summoned creature comes into being at the beginning of your next turn and immediately becomes eligible for being bossed around.

Hope that helps!

Chester
2013-10-06, 06:45 PM
Hope that helps!

Sure does, thanks!

lunar2
2013-10-06, 07:32 PM
don't forget that the only limit placed on the summon undead spells is size. go ahead and summon that trumpet archon skeleton at level 1.

Karnith
2013-10-06, 07:33 PM
don't forget that the only limit placed on the summon undead spells is size. go ahead and summon that trumpet archon skeleton at level 1.
The Summon Undead spells were updated in Heroes of Horror and the Spell Compendium. They now summon specific varieties of skeletons and zombies (e.g. Owlbear Skeleton or Bugbear Zombie), rather than simply "Skeleton, Large" and the like.

lunar2
2013-10-06, 08:23 PM
The Summon Undead spells were updated in Heroes of Horror and the Spell Compendium. They now summon specific varieties of skeletons and zombies (e.g. Owlbear Skeleton or Bugbear Zombie), rather than simply "Skeleton, Large" and the like.

AWWW, but i like hilariously, obviously broken things.

Tvtyrant
2013-10-06, 08:31 PM
I really wish the Summon Undead line went up to 9ths like the summon monster and summon nature's ally. Summoning dracoliches!