PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a Monster

Sidmen
2013-10-06, 10:20 PM
Hi all,

I'm having a hard time coming up with a type of monster to sick on my players, since they have to fill a pretty narrow role.

So, the players are traveling via river boat on a massive river (think Amazon, Mississippi, or Nile-sized) to the lands of a rival noble family. This noble has concocted a rather stupid plan to stir up some river monsters and have them attack the players' (one of which is a royal) boat; then come in on his own warship to dispatch the monsters and earn points with the royal family. (The intent of the scene is to show how inept the noble is at subterfuge, since he arrives on the scene mere minutes after a monster attack well-equipped to deal with that exact attacker).

So, I need a mindless, or nearly-mindless aquatic creature that poses a challenge for a level 2 party of 5 characters. Big would be preferable, since they've already fought off a ton of wolves so a swarm of little creatures would be too similar. I want the players to fight and beat one or two of the creatures before the noble arrives, so I don't want a destined-to-fail fight.

Does anyone know of a monster that would foot the bill?

Chronos
2013-10-06, 10:31 PM
These boats... How high are the decks above the water surface? A few possibilities come to mind, but some of them might not be able to reach the decks to be a threat. Unless there's something that needs defending that's more accessible?

Hm, here's an idea: How are the boats propelled? If they're pulled by beasts of burden from a towpath, then you could have the monsters go after the beasts of burden. Crocodiles, maybe. This would also give you an out for making the battle easier if need be: If there's danger of the party dying, then make the crocs focus on the mules instead.

ArcturusV
2013-10-06, 10:37 PM
Yu Lung jumps to mind. Dragon, lives in freshwater rivers. Befriends humans sometimes (LIke your noble) might be young enough to have been tricked into some scheme (As they are True Neutral and thus wouldn't have strong feelings one way or another about it)... might have the whole thing be an Act as well (Why throw away a dragon ally? Also note that Yu Lungs instantly evolve to an adult form at the right time, so it can show up later as something more fiercesome in the campaign like a Chiang Lung), complete with bad acting ont he part of the "Dead" dragon.

Also might want to use a Tako (Or two or three). Very classic for that sort of scenario.

killem2
2013-10-06, 10:46 PM
It's hard to find a monster that is a challenge but not a total party kill for a level 2 party, that is also realistic enough to want to attack a boat.
To start with some though:

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/mantaRay.htm

Depending on the party:

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/octopusGiant.htm

Now, aside from the "mindless" Banelar from monsters of faerun, p18, its pretty stout, but I think it can be managed possible.

A Dire Snake is Huge and could fit the bill for mindless.

Check the sea tiger from monster manual 3.

fishyfishyfishy
2013-10-06, 10:47 PM
Hi all,

I'm having a hard time coming up with a type of monster to sick on my players, since they have to fill a pretty narrow role.

So, the players are traveling via river boat on a massive river (think Amazon, Mississippi, or Nile-sized) to the lands of a rival noble family. This noble has concocted a rather stupid plan to stir up some river monsters and have them attack the players' (one of which is a royal) boat; then come in on his own warship to dispatch the monsters and earn points with the royal family. (The intent of the scene is to show how inept the noble is at subterfuge, since he arrives on the scene mere minutes after a monster attack well-equipped to deal with that exact attacker).

So, I need a mindless, or nearly-mindless aquatic creature that poses a challenge for a level 2 party of 5 characters. Big would be preferable, since they've already fought off a ton of wolves so a swarm of little creatures would be too similar. I want the players to fight and beat one or two of the creatures before the noble arrives, so I don't want a destined-to-fail fight.

Does anyone know of a monster that would foot the bill?

It is not inconceivable that the noble might have paid a spellcaster to call in some Medium Water Elementals or perhaps some Water Mephits for this purpose. Both are CR 3, so 2 of them would be a tough fight for your group. While they are not big bruiser types, the mephits have several interesting abilities. They are not mindless but they do have low intelligence scores (mephits have 6 and water elementals have 4)

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-10-06, 10:49 PM
A Five-Headed Hydra is CR 4, maybe a bit too strong but it's Huge size and has a swim speed.

Sidmen
2013-10-06, 10:57 PM
The Royal Yacht is a single-decked single-masted sailing vessel with sweeps for when the wind is quiet. Effectively a small dromon. So, its sides can't be more than a few feet above the water line.

So, I looked up Tako, and found a picture of two octopi wearing samurai armor and wielding spears battling each other. I need a breather... Never even imagined such a thing existed.

I was then broken when I looked up the Banelar and found a massive snake using its tentacle-beard to shoot a wand... It appears there is a side to D&D I've never seen before. What with my reliance on humanoid NPCs and real-life animals for so long.

This is all great stuff, Thanks and keep it coming. I'll have to check the exact power of each of these things to see how quickly my players will squash them (they've proven able to break me quite easily whenever a target is presented).

Ortesk
2013-10-06, 11:16 PM
I second the crocs, if its freshwater you can have some fun here. a strong wind, slippery deck, low balance characters all collide and pc's go over. somehow boat, being a boat and huge, actually pushes them away. up from nowhere comes a bull shark. lets be honest, your pc's are running for shore as bull shark gives some chase but mainly leaves them alone. at shore they see some crocs, crocs hate being mucked with when you wake em sun bathe. roll init! or make them go ashore and hunt, but i like #1 more :D

ArcturusV
2013-10-06, 11:27 PM
Yeah, DnD Gets Weird Fast, if you look (http://www.headinjurytheater.com/article73.htm).

I still might suggest the Yu Lung however. Dragons are cool. Hell it's in the title. Players like taking on Dragons. And having the dragon be bestest buddies with your Evil Noble means that they will survive it, and could be an interesting enemy later one when they Pokevolve. Seriously, Lung Dragons don't "age" properly like normal dragons. Just someone goes "Ding, they're a year older now!" they get struck by lightning and suddenly are their new form.

... that isn't even really exaggerating, that's what the book says.

EDIT: That and a Yu Lung's "Mundane" name is "Carp dragon"... the idea of something getting eaten by a Carp just is funny to me.

killem2
2013-10-06, 11:47 PM
Whoa, I like that peltast lol.

Ignominia
2013-10-07, 09:34 AM
My first thought when you said "Amazon" was giant snake!

Take the constrictor from the d20 srd http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/snake.htm#constrictorSnake, add a few HD to advance it to large size and go to town!

Ranting Fool
2013-10-07, 12:46 PM
Yeah, DnD Gets Weird Fast, if you look (http://www.headinjurytheater.com/article73.htm).

Thank you for that! :smallbiggrin: Takes me back a few years...

Tim Proctor
2013-10-07, 01:01 PM
I would go with a Crocodile, probably template it to be Large CR 3 (took the average of a Medium CR 2 and a Huge CR 4).

HP: 40
Init: +1
Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares), swim 30 ft.
AC: 15, Touch 10, Flat-Foot 14
Bite: +9 2d6+8 or +9 Tail Slap 1d12+9
Space/Reach 10 ft./5 ft.
SA: Improved grab
SQ: Hold breath, low-light vision
Fort +8, Ref +5, Will +3
Str 23, Dex 12, Con 18, Int 1, Wis 12, Cha 2
Hide +4*, Listen +5, Spot +5, Swim +14
Alertness, Skill Focus (Hide)

Chronos
2013-10-07, 01:49 PM
Oh, and I just noticed that the OP specifically wants to it to sick on his players, so we need something with a vomit attack.

(the word you were looking for was "sic")

John Longarrow
2013-10-07, 02:32 PM
Hmm.... Vomit on players and be something a Noble could handle? Small green dragon!

Alternate would be aquatic ogre or two...