PDA

View Full Version : Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition Solo Arcanist Run

Endarire
2013-10-07, 02:39 AM
Greetings, all!

I just got Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition. I played through the original a buncha times and never really understood what was going on. I played Baldur's Gate II, but never finished it. (I cleared most of Athkatla and got to chapter 4 or so.)

As a fan of solo arcanists (Mage/"Wizard" or Sorcerer) due to challenge and less party buffing time/accidental team killing, I'm not sure which to pick. Wild Mage seems pretty spiffy, but from what I can tell of BGII, Sorcerer just owns. At least in BGII, many arcane spell scrolls are harder to come by. With a proper guide, a Sor can just learn the right spells. (And if not, there's the Shadowkeeper retraining option.)

Also, what alignment is best? In BGII, I went Chaotic Neutral Elf Sorcerer. I chose CN for the cat familiar (go, go stealth and pickpocket!) and being immune to a buncha alignment-based effects.

I'd prefer to avoid lots of saving/reloading, but I have no qualms about just save scumming my way to victory. (It is, after all, a legal tactic.)

Cespenar
2013-10-07, 02:57 AM
If you didn't finish BGII, I wonder if the first game would catch your interest long enough, but never mind.

Anyway, Lawful Good is a good alignment in BG1, since it starts you with a higher reputation (which is good), and its bhaalspawn abilities are pretty good as well. CLW, Slow Poison, and stuff. Also, things like Unholy Smite don't get thrown out much as it does in the second game, so a neutral alignment isn't a must.

As for the class, Wild Mage is pretty spiffy, but it can be a little annoying for a main character, since a lot of the surge effects can hurt/kill/immobilize you.

I'd say do a LG sorcerer.

ArlEammon
2013-10-07, 08:21 AM
In Enhanced Edition, Dragon Disciples are pretty good. They have armor class bonuses and higher HP than sorcerers.